Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Who funds this research???

Bees on cocaine: The facts • The Register

News has emerged of the latest threat to nature: drug-addled bees, hopped up on crack by crazed scientists. Some bee experts believe that cocaine could have "as devastating an effect on honey bee society as it does on human society".

The scientists in question are Andrew Barron of Macquarie University in Australia and Gene Robinson of the University of Illinois, and some fellow bee and narcotics experts. The men, for reasons that seemed good to them at the time, got some bees hooked on cocaine and then turned them out to find some sugar...

More at the article.. but A) Who funds this shit? B) How do you come up with the idea? Do you see a bag of cocaine and say "Dude! I betcha it would really freak things out if you gave it to bees!". Or do you look at a beehive and say "Man, they're not agressive enough... what if we gave em some cocaine?"

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps this part of the article is relevant:

Quote:
The scientists believe that their work indicates the presence of a reward system in the bee brain, something never shown so far. They also think that more bee study will have relevance to the problems of human addiction.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's a much better story about the study.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-drug-research

It doesn't seem that interesting tho. In the story here, it says the bees came back and just did their dances more vigorously. But since they weren't lying about where stuff was, it stands to reason that the coke just makes them absolutely insane and they can't control their responses as well as they could otherwise.

That doesn't seem to be all that earthshattering a revelation. Other than, "well gee, no one else had tried that before."

The assumptions the first article made were far more interesting, than what the real story seems to reveal.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-23-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

More at the article.. but A) Who funds this shit? B) How do you come up with the idea? Do you SNORT a bag of cocaine and say "Dude! I betcha it would really freak things out if you gave it to bees!". Or do you look at a beehive and say "Man, they're not agressive enough... what if we gave em some cocaine?"

Fixed that for you.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I was wondering if they thought they'd make good drug sniffers .... after all bee's travel a heck of a distance pollinating flowers ... can see it now, swarms of bee's chasing dealers down streets, looks good from here
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It took a bit of searching, but I found one of the research pics:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Setting aside the fertile ground for bee/coke jokes, I suspect the real truth is that just about any sort of research project, when deliberately packaged into a one-sentence summary, will sounds pretty pointless and stupid. And most of them, once you understand the motivation behind them, probably have some value.

There's a policy debate to be had, I suppose, whether the government should be in the business of sponsoring research at all... but one things we know for sure is that people who know nothing about a subject and then are exposed to a cherry-picked sentence or two about that subject are not in a great position to render useful judgment about it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Setting aside the fertile ground for bee/coke jokes, I suspect the real truth is that just about any sort of research project, when deliberately packaged into a one-sentence summary, will sounds pretty pointless and stupid. And most of them, once you understand the motivation behind them, probably have some value.

There's a policy debate to be had, I suppose, whether the government should be in the business of sponsoring research at all... but one things we know for sure is that people who know nothing about a subject and then are exposed to a cherry-picked sentence or two about that subject are not in a great position to render useful judgment about it.

buzzkill
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-29-2008 at 11:23 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote