Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Only the Detroit Lions could do this

Now keep in mind as you read that the committee being used to interview a GM features Martin Mayhew, who wants the fulltime GM gig, and Tom Lewand, who wants Mayhew to have the fulltime GM gig.

How does the league even allow this to happen?

And just to note, this does not surprise me they're coming back, but wow, I still don't get it, and the process that is going around with it is that much more maddening.

I honestly do not think the Lions sellout one home game next year. Five were blacked out this season, and they had to have extensions for the other three, including the Home Opener and Thanksgiving.

Unreal.

Quote:
Ford: Lewand, Mayhew will stay with Lions
by Tom Kowalski
Sunday December 21, 2008, 3:30 PM
AP File PhotoTom Lewand, Detroit Lions executive vice president and chief operating officer, walks the sidelines during Detroit's' game against Green Bay Packers earlier this season. Lions owner William Clay Ford said he wants both Martin Mayhew and Lewand to stay with the Lions next season.

DETROIT -- Despite the possibility that his team could finish 0-16 this season, Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford made it clear that there will not be a complete house-cleaning in the offseason.

Prior to Sunday's Lions-Saints game, Ford said that he will hire another person to join the team's football operations but that person might not fill the typical general manager role. Ford said the new hire might not have total control over all personnel matters and that those decisions could be done by committee.

"It depends. I don't know about the odds (of hiring a GM with total authority),'' Ford said. "Let's see who's available and what experience they have and see if they fit in any of our slots.''

Ford said that regardless of who he hires, he also wants both Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand to stay with the organization -- possibly in the positions they currently hold.

"I don't want to delineate positions to exactly where 'This is you' and "This is me.' I want to leave some latitude,'' Ford said. "When we get a good person, I want Martin in on that, I want his opinion.''

Ford said the team would begin to interview candidates at the end of the regular season and the process will involve a three-man panel.

"Lewand, Martin and me,'' said Ford, adding he wanted to have some decisions made within three weeks after the end of the season.

When asked if vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. will be involved in the offseason decisions, Ford Sr. said, "I don't know, I think he's got a plate-full right now. It depends on what his availability is.''

Mayhew, who had held the title of assistant general manager, took over as general manager in late September after president Matt Millen was fired. Mayhew has reported directly to Ford since that time.

When asked if he was happy with the job Mayhew has done so far, Ford said, "Oh yeah, very.''

Ford also said that if the Lions decide to go with a general manager who holds total authority over all football decisions, Mayhew will be among the candidates.

If Ford goes that route and Mayhew doesn't get the job, Ford said he still wants Mayhew to stay with the Lions organization.

Lewand is expected to continue in his capacity as the team's chief operating officer and run the team's day-to-day business activities and also have authority over all Ford Field operations.

Ford said he's "talked to some people'' and that the team is still putting together a list of candidates to be interviewed. Ford said he doesn't believe there is one "football genius'' out there who can come in and make all the right decisions independently.

"No. If there is, I haven't met him yet,'' Ford said.

As for coach Rod Marinelli and his job status, Ford said he hasn't made any decisions yet.

"I don't know, I haven't made up my mind. I'm leaving it open,'' Ford said.

When asked about Marinelli's 0-14 record -- and Detroit's losses in 21 of the previous 22 games (prior to Sunday's result) -- Ford repeated: "No, I'm keeping it open.''

If there is a change at head coach, Ford said he doesn't know yet who might spearhead that search, himself or the new GM.

"Both of those (head coach and GM) positions now are a little nebulous so it's hard for me to say the GM will do it or I'll do it because I don't know who's going to fit in what slot,'' said Ford, adding that his goal is to make the right choices that will put the Lions on a winning path.

"I hope when this whole process is over with that we've got an organization that can build a winning team,'' Ford said. "The fans have been great and they deserve winners. We're all frustrated. We want to win, too. I hope this is the end product.''

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And, to add some more, from another beat writer for the Lions:

Quote:
Lions statement on Ford-Mayhew

The Lions just handed out a statement in the press box confirming a report that Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew will remain a part of the organization next year.

The statement: "Lions Owner and Chairman William Clay Ford confirmed this afternoon that he expects both Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew to return to the organization next season. Any decisions regarding the football operations and the coaching staff will be made after the season."
Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Did Martin Mayhew used to be a defensive back?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the talking heads on Fox can't rush to the defense of Marinelli fast enough after a reporter pounded him pretty good for his questionable defensive coordinator (his son-in-law).

I thought the last question "Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator" was one that a lot of fans in Detroit might have liked to ask themselves if they had a chance.

edit to add: I mention this here instead of the regular weekly thread because it sort of highlights a problem that seems to be part of what you mention here: incompetence isn't really hammered in the NFL, especially not when they get in the mood to close ranks. Clueless though retaining the front office guys might be, it seems even worse to me that there's even a consideration of retaining the current staff.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-21-2008 at 06:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And the talking heads on Fox can't rush to the defense of Marinelli fast enough after a reporter pounded him pretty good for his questionable defensive coordinator (his son-in-law).

I thought the last question "Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator" was one that a lot of fans in Detroit might have liked to ask themselves if they had a chance.

I chuckled at that.

Rob Parker is an awful columnist though, but regardless, up until the last question, he asked good questions and Rod gave his usual response.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

That question was really shitty.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If you live around here, you just know Parker wants to get noticed.

He was on ESPN when Bonds broke the HR record when he wrote Hank Aaron was a coward for not showing up to see him do it. He's also said Kevin Love and Tyler Hansborough will be busts in the NBA because they're white.

That is what he is.

It's funny because no one here likes him, and that question was him trying to be funny and he royally bombed. It was so absurd I found it hilarious because hes the kind of guy who thinks hes the funniest guy around, and that went on deaf ears.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
That question was really shitty.

Yeah, it was. And it was spit coke out of my nose funny as well.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah...that question was very rude, but very funny, IMO.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Jas_lov
College Starter

Parker is trash. Everytime I see him on ESPN he's saying something stupid, usually about race. He makes Skip Bayless look good on that morning show.

You would think the Lions would see the quick turnarounds by some teams this year and would try to blow everything up and start new. I guess that's why they're the Lions though.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Yes, for the Bills
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Of course. Everyone knows former players make the best GMs.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So if the Ford company goes "0-16" in a year, does this mean they don't fire anybody?

The sad thing is a monkey could out GM Millen so by default whoever comes in could have the Lions get to 4 to 6 wins and suddenly Ford Sr. is thinking he made the right decision even if the Lions never got back to above .500.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

But they should still be able to keep the Thanksgiving game!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

As if things in Detroit weren't bad enough just to live there, but they have to endure a terrible football team at the same time. Bengals fans everywhere understand you feel.

Go Steelers!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

I don't understand how anyone could lay the blame for 0-16 at the feet of Mayhew and Lewand. This team is Matt Millen's. The only opportunity the new guys had to do anything with this team was at the trade deadline, and most people think they did pretty well there.

They already cleaned house in the front office. Why would it be surprising if they did not do it again?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #17
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I don't understand how anyone could lay the blame for 0-16 at the feet of Mayhew and Lewand. This team is Matt Millen's. The only opportunity the new guys had to do anything with this team was at the trade deadline, and most people think they did pretty well there.

They already cleaned house in the front office. Why would it be surprising if they did not do it again?

These guys were Millen's assistants. Their hands are hardly clean of this disaster.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For the record, the Chiefs have lost 22 of their last 24. GM is out and Coach Edwards likely will only be retained if the new GM wants him.

Detroit has lost 22 of 23 and is telling people they can keep their job. Detroit, I feel your pain.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My sympathies to Detroit fans. That's a real clusterfuck you've got going on there.

Any chance Bill Ford comes in at some point and straightens things out?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As Joey Harrington said on Sunday:

"It's weird to think I was here in the hey-day"
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was sort of happy for this news. There I was yesterday afternoon, listening to the first half of the Lions' game on a Walkman I stumbled randomly upon a few weeks ago in the basement. I was surfing the interent, came across this article, the Saints were on the verge of going up 21-7 and then I shut it down. It finally put me over the top or under the bottom or however you want to phrase it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I guess the one upside to this whole 0-16 thing will be that we wont have to listen to Bengals or Cardinals fans when debating which is the worst NFL franchise of all time.

That debate will be over.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
These guys were Millen's assistants. Their hands are hardly clean of this disaster.

Yeah, but decision making authority on personnel moves clearly rested with him. These guys may have been against him, on his disastrous moves. We (and probably the Fords) have no idea.

Sure, the GM and coach have to go, but I don't see it as axiomatic in the NFL that all assistant GM's get fired too. Sometimes they are elevated to GM, or at least kept in their current capacity.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
SportsDino
College Prospect

What happens when you have circle-jerking nepotism at the top of your organization!?

Poor, poor lions... haven't had anything to root for since Barry.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, it's hardly normal in the NFL that teams go 1-21 either. It boggles my mind that anybody involved in this disaster would keep their job.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #26
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I am excited about next Sunday in Green Bay. It will be the closest thing to going to the Super Bowl the Lions have had in my lifetime. I'm considering it the Anti-Super Bowl. It is the opportunity to cement their place in NFL history, accomplishing something no other team has done. And I seriously fear they will screw it up and somehow win, becoming just another 1-15 team.

Well, thanks to Ford there is always next year.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I am excited about next Sunday in Green Bay. It will be the closest thing to going to the Super Bowl the Lions have had in my lifetime. I'm considering it the Anti-Super Bowl. It is the opportunity to cement their place in NFL history, accomplishing something no other team has done. And I seriously fear they will screw it up and somehow win, becoming just another 1-15 team.

I don't want to see them go 0-16. I really don't.

As much as I'd like to see them win next week, they have shown no reason to believe that they are capable of winning a football game. First, they simply lack the talent to compete in this league. Other than a very small handful of players, there are no NFL starting caliber palyers on this team. I can only think of maybe one or two on the defense alone. Second, they are poorly coached and make far too many mental errors and mistakes. A team that is so woefully lacking in talent simply can't afford to make mistakes. They do so constantly. Third, their defense can't stop anyone. They have not made a stop when they've needed to all season.

They are going to head to Green Bay, a place where they haven't won since 1991, and try to end a 20 some odd game losing streak. I don't care if the Packers have nothing to play for. The Saints didn't either and that game wasn't even competitive.

As for the Mayhew hiring, no he's not directly responsible for the horrible shape of the franchise, but his hands aren't clean either. While he might deserve a shot, I just don't see how the Lions can hand the franchise over, again, to someone without a proven track record. This whole "learning on the job" thing that Millen led to the current situation.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If you live around here, you just know Parker wants to get noticed.

He was on ESPN when Bonds broke the HR record when he wrote Hank Aaron was a coward for not showing up to see him do it. He's also said Kevin Love and Tyler Hansborough will be busts in the NBA because they're white.

That is what he is.

It's funny because no one here likes him, and that question was him trying to be funny and he royally bombed. It was so absurd I found it hilarious because hes the kind of guy who thinks hes the funniest guy around, and that went on deaf ears.

That's funny and sad. It's basically someone who aspires to be Jason Whitlock. You just described Whitlock to a T but for some reason, people keep hiring him...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #29
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This whole thing just makes me think of the guys on NFL Radio who once Millen was fired said the Lions needed to bring in some kind of consultant right away to help them prepare for these kinds of decisions once the offseason hits. You bring in someone, like Ron Wolf, who looks at things from the coaching staff, the players, the front office, and give suggestions to the owners on which way they should go. Who they think needs to move on, help them find a new GM, and all that. Someone to help rebuild the front office and team. Once new top guys are in place that advisor is done and leaves.

A few weeks ago the NFL Radio guys where ripping the Lions for never doing this. Now I see why.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe Bush can engineer a 1 win bailout in congress to help the Lions.

As much teeth gnashing as Packer fans do about the 5-9 season we are having, there are alot of teams that I wouldn't want to trade places with and the Lions top that list. (After next week, possible that Denver might top that list since I'm not sure what is worse, going 0-16 or just absolutely collapsing and missing the playoffs)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 12-22-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #31
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't care if the Packers have nothing to play for.

The Packers will absolutely have something to play for though. Specifically when you aren't making the playoffs anyway, you don't want to be the only team that managed to lose to a 1-15 team. Especially in your house and especially with the way Green Bay views their house.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post
The Packers will absolutely have something to play for though. Specifically when you aren't making the playoffs anyway, you don't want to be the only team that managed to lose to a 1-15 team. Especially in your house and especially with the way Green Bay views their house.

Good point.

As a long time St. Louis Blues fan I see you have developed a keen insight into what teams, who appear to have nothing to play for, have to play for.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #33
digamma
Torchbearer

Calvin still should have made the Pro Bowl.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Calvin still should have made the Pro Bowl.

Yeah. He's really very good. Kevin Smith is decent too.

That's about it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

So ummm would the guy be the DC if Marinelli was not his father in law?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #36
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Packers are looking great tonight. I don't think the Lions have much of a chance.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Maybe Bush can engineer a 1 win bailout in congress to help the Lions.

As much teeth gnashing as Packer fans do about the 5-9 season we are having, there are alot of teams that I wouldn't want to trade places with and the Lions top that list. (After next week, possible that Denver might top that list since I'm not sure what is worse, going 0-16 or just absolutely collapsing and missing the playoffs)

Uhm, as a Packer fan I wouldn't care if Green bay was the team about to go 0-16, I still wouldn't switch places with a Lions fan.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #38
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Any chance Bill Ford comes in at some point and straightens things out?
For the sake of the Lions, do we really want Bill Ford applying the skills he developed running Ford Motor into the ground into the Lions? The NFL is talking about eliminating preseason games and extending the regular season so 0-18 is possible.

As a Chiefs fan, sad news for the Lions is good news for our draft possibilities.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

So when do the Lions get kicked out of the Premier league?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #40
Jas_lov
College Starter

With the way the Packers just lost that game and how their season is going, I think I now like the Lions chance to win. The Packers just find new ways to lose every week.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

Bah, amateurs. Get back to me when you're 0-26. Then we can talk.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #42
MLA
n00b

Ford needs to say that the people involved aren't about to get fired when there's still a game to go - and a potentially winnable one at that. After the season he better start shaking it all up to revive the franchise in the same brilliant way the auto makers of the city have turned their fortunes around against better run competition...
MLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #43
Balldog
Pro Rookie

My fear is these guys are more likely to keep Marineli around.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #44
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post

And how motivated are the Lions going to be once they hit the field,feel the hard cold air, see the snow, etc...
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #45
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And how motivated are the Lions going to be once they hit the field,feel the hard cold air, see the snow, etc...

Isn't the prospect of being linked for all time to perhaps the most pathetic and futile team in the history of pro football motivation enough?

As a one-win team, the story doesn't have staying power, but being on the only team ever to go 0-16 stays with you forever I'd imagine.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Isn't the prospect of being linked for all time to perhaps the most pathetic and futile team in the history of pro football motivation enough?

As a one-win team, the story doesn't have staying power, but being on the only team ever to go 0-16 stays with you forever I'd imagine.

Why? Why is 0-16 such a big deal? Again, they won't be the first winless team in a season and like I said, until they hit 0-26, they're just a sucky team, not a historically sucky one. Trust me youngsters, there's no way this team is as bad as the '76 Buccaneers. There hasn't been nor will there likely ever be a team so bad. They changed the entire rules of expansion because they were so bad.

ESPN knows it.
hxxp://assets.espn.go.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/worst.html

Pat Toomey knows it.
hxxp://espn.go.com/page2/s/toomay/011227.html

Rod Marinelli knows it.

It's just like the Patriots were all jazzed because they won 16 and were acting like they're the greatest team to go undefeated in a season because they played in 2 more games than the Dolphins. It's not really accurate.

If you want to say they're the worst ever since the league went to 16 game seasons then that's ok, but if you cherry pick stats you can make practically any argument.

Again, I am kinda biased but I've seen both teams play and there's no way this Lions team loses to that Bucs team. They're nowhere near as bad. At least they have SOME NFL worthy talent.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

I would hope being 0-16 and being the second worst team in history wouldn't exactly be appealing either.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #48
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Trust me youngsters, there's no way this team is as bad as the '76 Buccaneers. There hasn't been nor will there likely ever be a team so bad. They changed the entire rules of expansion because they were so bad.

That's a big part of the reason that makes what the Lions are doing so terrible. The last winless was an expansion franchise in the worst of situations. This Lions team had to work hard to build an 0-16 team!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Why? Why is 0-16 such a big deal? Again, they won't be the first winless team in a season and like I said, until they hit 0-26, they're just a sucky team, not a historically sucky one. Trust me youngsters, there's no way this team is as bad as the '76 Buccaneers. There hasn't been nor will there likely ever be a team so bad. They changed the entire rules of expansion because they were so bad.

ESPN knows it.
hxxp://assets.espn.go.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/worst.html

Pat Toomey knows it.
hxxp://espn.go.com/page2/s/toomay/011227.html

Rod Marinelli knows it.

It's just like the Patriots were all jazzed because they won 16 and were acting like they're the greatest team to go undefeated in a season because they played in 2 more games than the Dolphins. It's not really accurate.

If you want to say they're the worst ever since the league went to 16 game seasons then that's ok, but if you cherry pick stats you can make practically any argument.

Again, I am kinda biased but I've seen both teams play and there's no way this Lions team loses to that Bucs team. They're nowhere near as bad. At least they have SOME NFL worthy talent.

You're missing the point, old man.

First, as Radii mentioned, the Buccs team was an expansion team, not one of the longest running NFL (or otherwise) franchises ever.

Second, the is just the cherry on top of the shit sundae that is the Detroit Lions. This potentially 0-16 team is the culmination of 51 years of ineptitude. They have one playoff win in that time span and they have the worst record, ever, over the last, what, 7 to 9 years or so? Even worse than the Buccs '76 to whatever. Even worse.

So, while the 2008 Detroit Lions may not be as bad as the 1976 Tampa Buccaneers, the Detroit Lions, as an organization, will have officialy sunk to depths hereto unknown before.

That's what makes this whole thing just so speical. This is a Lifetime Achievement award, not some little one off thing. So, you can keep talking about 0-26, but it doesn't matter. You're missing the forrest for the trees.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #50
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I am so hoping the search committee contacts me for an assistant GM position. I'm qualified, right?

Ten years programming an imaginary football game? Therefore I can work for an imaginary football team.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote