Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Chiefs GM Carl Peterson Resigning at end of season

Mixed bag for Chiefs fans ... will certainly help boost the fan base who blames Carl for all the problems and has ridden him for failing to deliver a Super Bowl.

But ... the next guy could be worse. The new GM will probably want his own coach too. It could mean rebooting the rebooting process.

Let my fellow Chiefs homers start the ridiculous Schottenheimer-as-GM-and-Cowher-as-coach rumors now ...

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

Marty coming back to KC is certinaly a realistic idea, but Cowher would never touch the job. its ont already stacked with talent and its too far from his home and family.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

dear god I cannot spell or type.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I don't think they were going to get any better with Peterson at the helm, so I'm guessing most KC fans are happy to take their chances with a new GM.

Could lead to sweeping changes to the coaches and whether my guy Thigpen gets the starting job next season or not. Looked like it was edging that way, but all bets are off now.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they went after Cowher, but he's likely to be offered every available coaching opening this off-season and I've read somewhere that he might not want to return to coaching yet.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
RedKingGold
College Starter

I always shed a tear for an ex-USFL guy.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
But ... the next guy could be worse. The new GM will probably want his own coach too.

And getting rid of Herm Edwards is bad in what way?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Crow's wishlist for the Kansas City Chiefs:

GM: Scott Pioli (New England)
Head Coach: Brian Billick (Unemployed)
Offensive Coordinator: Chan Gailley (Kansas City)
Defensive Coordinator: Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati)

In no way, shape, or form do I want Marty and/or Cowher anywhere near 1 Arrowhead Drive; we finally have a 21st century offense and those two would try and resurect smash mouth football.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Crow's wishlist for the Kansas City Chiefs:

GM: Scott Pioli (New England)
Head Coach: Brian Billick (Unemployed)
Offensive Coordinator: Chan Gailley (Kansas City)
Defensive Coordinator: Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati)

In no way, shape, or form do I want Marty and/or Cowher anywhere near 1 Arrowhead Drive; we finally have a 21st century offense and those two would try and resurect smash mouth football.

Yeah because smash mouth is working out horribly for the Steelers, Panthers, Giants, and Ravens...oh wait.......
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

After hearing Clark Hunt's interviews today, I think Pioli is the guy he wants and he wanted Carl out of the way quickly so he could go for his guy. Clark flatly said he wants someone fresh from outside the organization and strongly suggested he wants to talk to people from playoff teams. That will get the Pioli rumors flowing.

After hearing Clark, I don't think Marty or Cowher are exactly what he wants. He wants to hire a GM first and then have that GM help decide Herm's fate. That would probably rule out Cowher who I think wants to coach and have total player control. I could Marty fitting the mold and I could see Marty working with Herm, but don't think that's the "fresh" perspective Clark wants.

I'm torn on Herm because I think he's actually put togethe a team that in a year or two could be good with a couple of more pieces. We have some defensive backs who can cover with ZERO pressure up front, so just imagine how good those young guys could be with a pass rusher and some halfway decent linebackers. I just think that scheme wise and perhaps motivation wise Herm is a little out of touch.

Chan Gailey maybe a freakin' genius. The offensive scheme he has created on the back of a napkin for Thigpen to run has been brilliant. The Chiefs offense has performed greater than the sum of its parts when you consider they have no running game, 2/5 of an offensive line, a No. 2 receiver and a bunch of backups running around out there. I like the spread variant Gailey is running -- no one in the NFL was going to try running the spread without being forced to by desperation. I'd like to see Chan stay regardless.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So glad to see King Carl finally out. The first 10 years were great and the second 10 have been deplorable. It's time to move on and I disagree with the assertion that the next GM could be worse. There's nowhere but up when you lose 21 of your last 23 games.

I agree that Herm and Chan Gailey should stay on. If we can get a GM that better assesses talent, we can get this thing going again. As bad as the team's record is, the Chiefs have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at least 5 times this year. There's some good young talent on defense. We just need some help in the front 7.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Chan Gailey maybe a freakin' genius.

Better chance that it's a savant thing, or a blind pig finding an acorn.

Talk to me in a couple of years & see if you don't have him closer to Gene Chizik than Vince Lombardi.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

The stupid Lions will probably hire him, and then he'll hire some stupid special teams coordinator from Dickwad Agricultural State University.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
The stupid Lions will probably hire him, and then he'll hire some stupid special teams coordinator from Dickwad Agricultural State University.

Agreed. Texas A&M is horrible.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Better chance that it's a savant thing, or a blind pig finding an acorn.

Talk to me in a couple of years & see if you don't have him closer to Gene Chizik than Vince Lombardi.
As in all things, context is king.

If Gene Chizik wants to leave Auburn to be our DC, I say let's talk. If Chan or Gene want to be head coach, danger, Will Robinson!