Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

PFS (Professional Football Simulator)

by Barcode Games. The guy is also the commissioner of the FBB league that I've been part of for the past six years or so.

He's been developing it for the past two years or so and finally got over the hump with programming the damn thing.

The game is geared towards running multiplayer football leagues. It's currently in beta testing.

Check out the website: hxxp://www.barcodegames.com

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
by Barcode Games. The guy is also the commissioner of the FBB league that I've been part of for the past six years or so.

He's been developing it for the past two years or so and finally got over the hump with programming the damn thing.

The game is geared towards running multiplayer football leagues. It's currently in beta testing.

Check out the website: hxxp://www.barcodegames.com

Can you customize it to the Maximum? Is there a beer tent? I won't play it unless it has a beer tent

(Ah, MF, gone but not forgotten)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
aran
High School Varsity

I downloaded it and I'm playing the demo. This looks promising. I love the sim speed. The stats don't look ridiculous at first bluff.

EDIT: Passing is really strong. The league average for QB Rating is around 90, if not higher. Not a single team has below 3000 yards passing on the season.

I am concerned, though, about the VERY limited number of "skills".

There are only 13. Two of them have to do with kicking.

Strength
Agility
Arm
Intelligence
Accuracy (what is this supposed to mean?)
Tackling
Speed
Hands
Pass Blocking
Run Blocking
Endurance
Kick Distance
Kick Accuracy

The presentation is meh. At times it does not look professional. You can't change the size of the game window. Player cards are modal (you can't open two at once).

There' a "Streaks" tab in the player card that has information on stat streaks specific to the player's position. They seem hard-coded, which is kinda disapointing. It'd be nice if it'd only show me streaks that matter or have statistical significance instead of just showing me the same six for every QB.

EDIT: Found a huge bug. You can "close" the playoffs simulation window and it apparently clears the results of the sims. You can open the sim playoffs window up again and sim again for different results. Whoa.

EDIT: Another huge bug. Not all teams play 16 games every season. In the NFC North, the Packers are 12-5, the lions are 3 and 12. That's horrible.

Last edited by aran : 12-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
...the lions are 3 and 12. That's horrible.

Totally unrealistic.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
aran
High School Varsity

Yeah. They should've been 0-20 if the game was worth its salt.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Support the Independents!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Doesn't work on a Mac...pity.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

Trying to log in to the forum but no luck so far.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
aran
High School Varsity

I've been giving Brooks bug reports (probably 10 in the past two days) and he's resolved every one of them within 24 hours. That's a great sign.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I just jumped on the boat for this game and it looks like it could be a dream game for online purposes.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Looks interesting.. If it gets some legs, it could walk into the picture as an interesting option.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just downloaded the demo.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Apparently they added a 2D play viewer with the latest update. Anyone try it out, and if so, how is it?

Also, how much like FOF is it? Do you hire and fire staff? Has it taken the next step with coaching tree's and what not? Stuff like that.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Downloading now. 2d play viewer is something that interests me a great deal.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well it's pretty low quality + low framerate 2d play viewer. It's also not live (you sim the game then you can watch it). It is still better than just text. Attach something like that to FOF and I may never leave the house.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
AFShadow
n00b

Has anyone else played this. I don't really care for FOF at this point but though new this at least appears to be good. Anyone try it out and have comments?
AFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
aran
High School Varsity

I've been testing the full version of the game for short spans of time over the past two years.

In my opinion, this game does not have the depth and quality of simulation that FOF has, and it never will have that depth and quality due to the way that the sim engine is designed. This game does not suck me in like FOF does.

If you are looking for a lighter, easier to play, simpler football sim, you should give the demo a shot. If you're looking for a game that accurately simulates professional football, you're better off dealing with FOF's foibles and learning to love it. Once you've played a game with a sim engine as good as FOF, it's hard to go back to anything else.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How is this game doing? Anyone playing it on a regular basis?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
AlexB
Pro Starter

I dl'd the demo just a couple of days ago: it's promising to a degree, but the contracts & salary cap side is horrendous - much worse than FOF.

It's a no-go for me
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
I dl'd the demo just a couple of days ago: it's promising to a degree, but the contracts & salary cap side is horrendous - much worse than FOF.

It's a no-go for me

That bad, huh?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

7 months later and I finally pulled the trigger.

The solo game is improving and the designer is active over on the forums and has been doing an excellent job of answering questions and improving the game.

It still has a way to go, but I'm onboard and will make as many suggestions for improvement as I can. Although I'm not as hardcore as some of you on FOFC, so download the demo and give some input to Brooks.

I'm still in my first season, just learning the game, but I like what I've seen so far.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Update 1.1.94

Quote:
Release Date: 05/21/2012

Release Features:

1) New Save File Format - up to 1000x faster and half the size
2) 2 New League Formats
3) Updated Draft AI
4) New Strict Cap Rule and better Free Agency AI
5) New Free Agency period before the draft
6) New Game Analysis tab for better game planning/opponent scouting
7) New Logo and Background
8) Misc. AI Tweaks
9) Misc. Bug Fixes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
Templar
Mascot

Thumbs up PFS Release - 1.1.103/1.1.104

The development of the Professional Football Simulator (PFS) continues.
Friends of PFS are happy about a new release.

PFS Release - 1.1.103/1.1.104

Release Date: 5/7/2013

Release Features:

1) New League Formats
2) Tweaks to 2D display (midfield logos)
3) Tweaks to AI for advanced playcalling ratios
4) Editing Players and modifications of jerseys now available
5) Games/Games Started updates
6) Fixes for historical draft class duplicate players
7) Fix for unicode strings in import files (now allows umlauts, etc.)
8) New Minimum contract structure based on overall
9) Fix for draft pick trading during free agency
10) Misc UI updates
11) Misc HTML updates (draft picks)
12) New League Chat screen
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Templar
Mascot

Thumbs up Professional Football Simulator by Barcode Games consistently developed

Professional Football Simulator by Barcode Games is slowly, but consistently developed.

It would be desirable, many more football friends would give the game a serious chance.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

From the forums, it seems like the game may have appeal to the niche that Football Mogul has sought - a fairly superficial GM sim, rather than down into the weeds a la FOF.

FOF is just in a weird spot now - it's definitely dated, too rigid, and too "solved," but the great stuff in its core still put all the so-called competitors to shame.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

FOF is weird in that once you are hooked, you are hooked, it's just hard to get folks to get hooked in the first place, I guess.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-09-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the learning curve for FOF (and its interface) make that tough. Look at the PFS forums - seemingly lots of non-native English and terrible grammar/spelling there... All strong clues to me on the niche this game is targeting.

I do think there would be room in my world for a gridiron sim game that's like Football Mogul without being, you know, terribad. So, who knows?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I only play PFS now, FOF needs an update.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I haven't tried out the PFS demo for awhile but the biggest difference to me is the draft.

While a lot of the draft stuff in FOF has been figured out, I still like the idea of projecting guys based on their combines, etc. It just seemed in PFS that you were taking the top rated guy most of the time. Has that changed? With the demo, I also could not see any career progression, booms and busts, etc. because it was only one year. Do you late round booms and first round busts exist?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
Templar
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Do you late round booms and first round busts exist?
One posted on the forum - Quote: "there is a hidden potential rating. So yes, these exist".
Old 06-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
Skelter
n00b

PFS

Let me vouch for PFS if I may. If you'll just get the demo and play around with it a little I think you'll see the potential this game has. The good news is that the guy who does this game, Brooks, is constantly working on it, and he absolutely listens to feedback. I've personally seen him get a complaint about some element of the game and have it fixed/improved within the week. There was an issue with unrealistic fumbles, for example, and he fixed it up within 5 days. He's a really nice guy, and he doesn't even charge for updates (IE: When he releases a new patch, you get it for free, you dont have to pay for the game again).

I send him a few dollars every time he makes an improvement to the game just to thank him for his work, and I encourage all my friends in the league to do so, because I feel like with a dedicated developer who is motivated to keep working on this game, it could become something really special. It's perfectly fine as it is, but the more he adds the more interesting it becomes. I highly recommend.
Skelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelter View Post
Let me vouch for PFS if I may. If you'll just get the demo and play around with it a little I think you'll see the potential this game has. The good news is that the guy who does this game, Brooks, is constantly working on it, and he absolutely listens to feedback. I've personally seen him get a complaint about some element of the game and have it fixed/improved within the week. There was an issue with unrealistic fumbles, for example, and he fixed it up within 5 days. He's a really nice guy, and he doesn't even charge for updates (IE: When he releases a new patch, you get it for free, you dont have to pay for the game again).

I send him a few dollars every time he makes an improvement to the game just to thank him for his work, and I encourage all my friends in the league to do so, because I feel like with a dedicated developer who is motivated to keep working on this game, it could become something really special. It's perfectly fine as it is, but the more he adds the more interesting it becomes. I highly recommend.

With all due respect, someone who signs up with the forum just to pimp a particular product doesn't have much credibility.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
With all due respect, someone who signs up with the forum just to pimp a particular product doesn't have much credibility.

+1
Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
Skelter
n00b

Fair Enough

Fair enough. Just lettin you guys know how I feel!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #35
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Fair enough. Just lettin you guys know how I feel!

Just curious, what kind of reception did you think you'd get as a brand new poster shilling a product on this forum? I'm not trying to be rude, but do you realize that this would be poorly received and, in fact, reflect poorly on the very product you're looking to tout?

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-22-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #36
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
+1
You know it's bad when JIMGA and Blackadar agree on something.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #37
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

You guys are jerks ha. So what, he likes the game and wants others to share his joy. It's not like he's pimping a game we've never heard of.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

I almost posted something similar. It's just a weird first post. "The game is great, he fixes shit right away and doesn't make us buy the game over again to get the fixes....but you should support him and donate everytime time he patches the game. That's what I do."

First of all, what companies make us pay for patching when their game doesn't work right? But anyway, I'm sure this isn't a paid advertisement, sounds more like the PFS maker saying, "Hey, spread the word about my efforts here!" and OP was just a bit over-zealous in that request. No harm, no foul though.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #39
Skelter
n00b

Hey guys, I am not gonna respond after this cause, frankly, that was kind of rude.

I didn't expect I'd get any kind of reception at all, honestly. My friend Templer just messaged me and asked if I'd come say a few words in support of PFS since I am a big fan of Brooks and his work. I didn't mean to upset anybody, I didn't even know what kind of a discussion was going on here till he gave me the link to the forum.

I hope you guys will try PFS, but obviously I have gone about this in the wrong way, so I'll just disappear back into the darkness. Ta ta fellas.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #40
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
You guys are jerks ha.

Undoubtedly so. But that doesn't mean we're wrong.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey guys, I am not gonna respond after this cause, frankly, that was kind of rude.

So is what appears to be a "worked" promo.

To be candid, for a rank stranger to come in cold with something like this smells fishy & to be even more candid, it does nothing in the world for me so much as cast suspicion upon the developer.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
Blackadar
Retired

It's been a while since I tried PFS, so this spurred me to download the demo and give it another try. It looked ok and was easy to navigate. So I started a new league with a draft. I drafted the first 8 rounds for my team - one QB, one RB, a few linemen and 2 CBs - and then put it on auto-draft.

I checked my team out after the auto draft. The AI proceeded to draft eight additional QBs for my team - but no DTs, no Ks, no Ps.

Uninstalled. Let me know when the program can get the fucking basics right.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I checked my team out after the auto draft. The AI proceeded to draft eight additional QBs for my team - but no DTs, no Ks, no Ps.
I recall giving feedback well over a year ago that the game does not produce nearly enough DTs (and some other positions as well, but I particularly recall DTs) for an initial draft. I think my team ended up with two DTs, and there were *none* available to be signed as roster-filler free agents.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #44
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I recall giving feedback well over a year ago that the game does not produce nearly enough DTs (and some other positions as well, but I particularly recall DTs) for an initial draft. I think my team ended up with two DTs, and there were *none* available to be signed as roster-filler free agents.

I have no idea if there were enough DTs. If the AI drafts nine QBs for one team that's enough to let me know the rest of the game is busted.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #45
Templar
Mascot

In the next update coaches will be introduced.
Is interesting.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #46
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

First of all, what companies make us pay for patching when their game doesn't work right?

Paradox Games comes to mind
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #47
Templar
Mascot

To make this clear - after purchase the Professional Football Simulator all of the following bug fixes and improvements, all updates are free!

And improvements / updates come several times each year.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #48
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
To make this clear - after purchase the Professional Football Simulator all of the following bug fixes and improvements, all updates are free!

Let us know when something as simple as the auto-draft works properly.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #49
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Wow. So an unfinished Alpha/Beta product has free updates! So what....finish it and then come back and tout free updates...
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #50
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

I just stumbled upon this game and have been playing with the demo running 2 season leagues. I think it is a nice addition to the Football Sim category and am looking forward to seeing where future development takes it.

Last edited by Cork : 01-11-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote