Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

College Football Week 15 (Championship) thread........

Breaking news: Nittany Lion charged with DUI......Rose Bowl status unclear........

Penn State mascot arrested on DUI charge - College football- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Quote:
Penn State mascot arrested on DUI charge
Sheep might miss Rose Bowl, has worn Lion costume since January 2007
Mon., Dec. 1, 2008

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - The Penn State senior who plays the Nittany Lion mascot was arrested on a DUI charge and his status for the Rose Bowl is in doubt, police and school officials said.

James Sheep was pulled over on campus around 3:15 a.m. on Nov. 22, hours before Penn State’s 49-18 win over Michigan State, University Police Capt. Bill Moerschbacher said Monday. The officer who made the stop saw that the vehicle was overloaded, with passengers piled onto each other and blocking the driver’s view.

After determining that Sheep had been drinking, the officer administered sobriety tests and took him to the hospital for blood tests, Moerschbacher said. He was later charged with DUI and summary traffic violations.

A telephone message left for Sheep by The Associated Press was not immediately returned Monday.

At the Michigan State game, the final home game of the year, Sheep was honored for serving as the mascot since January 2007.

School spokesman Geoff Rushton said he expects some action from the Office of Judicial Affairs, but said that it would likely be up to the coaching staff to determine if Sheep can attend the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 1.

The student in the mascot suit receives a scholarship, but Rushton said he did not know how much it was worth. In addition to football games, the mascot attends several hundred events a year and must maintain a 3.0 grade point average.

University sanctions can range from requiring students to take mandatory education classes to expulsion, Rushton said.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Geez, I know UCLA isn't THAT good, but wow, giving up two time outs just so you can wear red against them?

ESPN - USC Trojans willing to forfeit time outs to wear home red against UCLA Bruins

USC coach Pete Carroll says the NCAA can have two of his timeouts from Saturday's crosstown rivalry game with UCLA. He just wants his players to wear their home colors

Carroll said on Monday that the Trojans would wear their cardinal red home jerseys on Saturday at the Rose Bowl. That violates an NCAA rule that requires visiting teams to wear white, and the infraction will cost him two timeouts, one per half.

The last time the Trojans and the Bruins both wore home jerseys -- the Trojans in red, the Bruins in blue and gold -- was in 1982, when the schools shared the Los Angeles Coliseum.

"I just thought it was a really cool tradition," Carroll said.

As for losing timeouts? "I don't care about it right now," Carroll said. "I think it's the fun thing to do, and I think the fans will appreciate it over time."

Carroll said the decision to wear home jerseys is not meant as a sign of disrespect to UCLA, adding that he discussed restoring the tradition with former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and with current coach Rick Neuheisel.

"It's exciting," Neuheisel said. "I think wearing the home jerseys is a great tradition."

In the meantime, the Pacific 10 Conference has forwarded a request to NCAA football rules committee secretary Rogers Redding, seeking to change the rule. Pac 10 commissioner Tom Hansen said he expected to a decision by Tuesday.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-02-2008 at 12:16 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Crim
College Benchwarmer

USC's taking it up a notch!!!!1!!two!!!1

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I love this move by Pete.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think it's actually, well, disappointing. I know all the USC fans will love it. I know some if not most or all of the UCLA fans may love it. Sure, most of college football fans may love that he's bucking the 'tradition' and going Frank Sinatra on the NCAA. Shoot, I'd like it as well. I'd love to see to solid colors battling it out rather than the solid color vs. white. I hate that it probably still all boils down to telling the difference on outdated black and white televisions.

However, rules are rules. Don't like them? Have them changed during the offseason.

Nothing against USC or the fans, I just don't like the move, regardless of if it was Tennessee, USC, or anyone else.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pete is just trying to make it a LA gang war....Bloods vs Crypts
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I think it's actually, well, disappointing. I know all the USC fans will love it. I know some if not most or all of the UCLA fans may love it. Sure, most of college football fans may love that he's bucking the 'tradition' and going Frank Sinatra on the NCAA. Shoot, I'd like it as well. I'd love to see to solid colors battling it out rather than the solid color vs. white. I hate that it probably still all boils down to telling the difference on outdated black and white televisions.

However, rules are rules. Don't like them? Have them changed during the offseason.

Nothing against USC or the fans, I just don't like the move, regardless of if it was Tennessee, USC, or anyone else.

Actually, the old tradition in this rivalry was for each team to wear their home uniforms. If anything, Pete is going back to tradition, albeit, bucking NCAA rules to do so.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Here is a famous painting from 1967 game in which both teams are wearing their home uniforms (the rule doesn't have anything to do with Black and White TV's back then.):

Old 12-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
timmynausea
College Starter

That's interesting - West Virginia will be wearing all white at home on Saturday. It's a White Out since it's Pat White's last home game. USF agreed to wear their dark jerseys. No timeouts were harmed.

Last edited by timmynausea : 12-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Actually, the old tradition in this rivalry was for each team to wear their home uniforms. If anything, Pete is going back to tradition, albeit, bucking NCAA rules to do so.
I can understand it used to be a tradition, nearly 20 years ago, and probably a great tradition. The rule is very outdated and doesn't need to be in place. That doesn't mean it should be broken or changed this very week because, by golly, Pete wants it.

Unless Pete just stumbled upon the rule or tradition this past week, I still have to resort to "Rules are rules".

Again, I don't like the rule. I despise the rule, but I don't like it when people take matters into their own hands, either.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Well Pete is acknowledging the rule, he just chooses to accept the consequences of breaking it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Well Pete is acknowledging the rule, he just chooses to accept the consequences of breaking it.
Which, of course, is why I'm disappointed.

Great message for the players. Don't like a rule? Screw it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This is not 'Nam, this is College Football. And there are rules in College Football. WEAR YOUR ROAD UNIFORM!!!

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN just crawled that Neuhisal (sp?) has said that IF USC is fined a TO he will take one before each kick off to even the score....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, PC said he cleared it with Neuheisel before the season started (to avoid being "disrespectful") and I guess this is something they talked about becoming a tradition every year. I don't care either way. I see what Poli is saying, but the NCAA obviously isn't too bothered about it otherwise they would have put in an additional penalty.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The thing about rules is if you're going to break them, be prepared to accept the consequences. And Pete is willing to accept the consequences. So good for him taking responsibility and having some fun with a game.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can understand it used to be a tradition, nearly 20 years ago, and probably a great tradition. The rule is very outdated and doesn't need to be in place. That doesn't mean it should be broken or changed this very week because, by golly, Pete wants it.

Unless Pete just stumbled upon the rule or tradition this past week, I still have to resort to "Rules are rules".

Again, I don't like the rule. I despise the rule, but I don't like it when people take matters into their own hands, either.

Look, there's a punishment in place, and Carroll's chosen to accept that punishment. What more do you want? You don't even care about either of these teams, and I doubt you'll watch it.

As a UCLA fan, I love it. And I want to take it a step further. I want Neuheisel to contact Carroll, and offer one of his timeouts to him (the first half one). Seriously. Tell Carroll to keep a team assistant nearby with a cellphone, or work out a signal in advance, and UCLA will call a timeout in the first half whenever USC wants it.

Just once, of course, but there you go, five for each team.

This is what this rivalry is all about. Fantastic. The rest of the country can bite me if they don't like it. This is for the Victory Bell, baby!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
ESPN just crawled that Neuhisal (sp?) has said that IF USC is fined a TO he will take one before each kick off to even the score....

Awesome. Another great way to do it. I knew Neuheisel would do something. Not his style to let Carroll do that without finding a response himself to even things out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just out of curiosity, how good is UCLA's recruiting class shaping up this year? Hopefully they can get competitive again.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of funny that LSU can wear white at home, but other teams wear a certain uniform if both teams agree to it.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Look, there's a punishment in place, and Carroll's chosen to accept that punishment. What more do you want? You don't even care about either of these teams, and I doubt you'll watch it.

As a UCLA fan, I love it. And I want to take it a step further. I want Neuheisel to contact Carroll, and offer one of his timeouts to him (the first half one). Seriously. Tell Carroll to keep a team assistant nearby with a cellphone, or work out a signal in advance, and UCLA will call a timeout in the first half whenever USC wants it.

This is what this rivalry is all about. Fantastic. The rest of the country can bite me if they don't like it. This is for the Victory Bell, baby!
Read the rest of my posts, would you? The world doesn't revolve around you.

I said I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd just rather they do it the right way.

Last edited by Poli : 12-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Read the rest of my posts, would you? The world doesn't revolve around you.

I said I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd just rather they do it the right way.

This particular part of the world (the USC-UCLA game) revolves much more around me than it does you. So, sorry if I don't really give a damn what a UT fan thinks about Carroll's decision.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how good is UCLA's recruiting class shaping up this year? Hopefully they can get competitive again.

Hmm, it's really tough to say at this point, because so much can happen in recruiting. Not sure of our current verbals we'll have or if we can lure any interest from some of those committed to other schools to de-commit and come over here (not normally something I really root for--I hate taking other schools commits, because I know how it feels the other way--but UCLA has had an awful lot of talk about visits from committed recruits of other schools).

I have to get ready for my baseball league sim here, but when I am done there, I'll give a quick breakdown of the class so far.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
This particular part of the world (the USC-UCLA game) revolves much more around me than it does you. So, sorry if I don't really give a damn what a UT fan thinks about Carroll's decision.

Who made you king of the world?

All I am saying is I don't respect the decision. Fix the rule in the offseason. Let freedom ring.

I don't know why you're all bent out of shape there. Maybe someone didn't give your hug. Take a chill pill.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

All I am saying is I don't respect the decision. Fix the rule in the offseason. Let freedom ring.

I don't know why you're all bent out of shape there. Maybe someone didn't give your hug. Take a chill pill.

I'm not the one posting "angry" emoticons, am I? You sure the right guy is taking the chill pill?

I'm actually not bent out of shape at all. You're (as usual) misreading tone through the Internet. I am merely dispensing my opinion of your stance. Sorry you don't like someone actually disagreeing with you, and (with reason) wondering why your opinion on it even matters.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm sorry Chief Rum. I'm sorry I ruined your day.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sorry Chief Rum. I'm sorry I ruined your day.

No apology necessary, since no feelings hurt here, nor any day ruined.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
and (with reason) wondering why your opinion on it even matters.

Because it's a general topic in a general thread in the off topic forum? Because him, or anybody else on the goddamned forum has as much right to express an opinion as anybody else here? It's not as though he wandered over to a USC forum & ripped on the move, he made a casual observation like most of the posters who participate in the threads here.

Climb off your fucking high horse already.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Because it's a general topic in a general thread in the off topic forum? Because him, or anybody else on the goddamned forum has as much right to express an opinion as anybody else here? It's not as though he wandered over to a USC forum & ripped on the move, he made a casual observation like most of the posters who participate in the threads here.

Climb off your fucking high horse already.

lmao...calm down, guy. I don't want you to bust a gut just because I expressed my own rightful opinion to tell him or you what value their opinion has to me. And look at that! I can even tell you that without having to resort to cuss words.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I love the pissing match between fans of two teams who wont be going to a bowl game
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I love the pissing match between fans of two teams who wont be going to a bowl game

Heh, ain't it grand!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

What do Big Ten and Pac 10 schools have to do with championship week anyway? Let the talk about the semi final and a half for the national title begin.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You mean the Rose Bowl that will pit two one loss teams against each other...two teams that both actually play defense?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And look at that! I can even tell you that without having to resort to cuss words.

You'd have gotten far worse in person. You've got zero business jumping on a regular here for no damned reason. Alas, one of the sad realities of the internet is that you're safe behind your keyboard instead of having somebody knock you upside the head like you seem to be in desperate need of.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Back to the topic at hand...

Quick look at UCLA recruiting. All of the following use Scout rankings.

We have 16 commits right now, with three of them being JC linemen (meaning, they may not get past admissions ).

The headliners right now are QB Richard Brehaut (#11 QB), OT Stan Hasiak (#17 OT), DE Devon Kennard (#5 DE) and MLB Todd Golper (#5 MLB).

Brehaut has pretty much been the wagon Neuheisel has hooked his ride to. Really nice looking offensive prospect with a very good arm and smart head. He will have a chance to start as a freshman, probably going head to head with Kevin Prince from this year's class (and hopefully Kevin Craft won't be involved).

Hasiak is still taking visits and is one of those "we'll rest when we have the letter" type of recruits. He's a huge Samoan tackle type from out in Hawaii. Exactly the kind of line talent we need.

Kennard and Golper are blue chip defenders who can make an impact right away.

The JC guys all help critical areas--the line and DT. They have the size that comes with age, so because of that, they might be able to step in right away, which makes them important for a team that is just Gawd awful on the line. UCLA was bad this year for two reasons--Craft and the line (and the line made Craft worse).

We have added more depth in the secondary. They're not blue chippers, but we picked up some excellent DB recruits this past class (Rahim Moore, starting as freshman; Aaron Hester, EJ Woods are two others), so the CB recruits will help with depth.

In addition to Hasiak and the JC guys, we also have a commit from the top guard in CA in Greg Capella, so that will help the line.

Really, UCLA isn't as far away as it would seem from this year.

There is loads of skill talent (Aundre Dean, Derrick Coleman, Milton Knox, incoming Dalton Hilliard at RB; Terrance Austin, Nelson Rosario, Taylor Embree, Antwon Moutra at WR; Ryan Moya, probably Logan Paulsen at TE) on offense.

Former Colorado C Kai Maiava will be eligible next year, this year's best freshman lineman T Jeff Baca and injured T Sean Sheller will all be back and better, so the line should be much, much improved. So if Brehaut steps in or Prince shows he's as talented as he's supposed to be, the offense will be much better.

The defense is good this year, and should be even better next year, with the freshman DBs I mentioned being one year better, and one more year from CB Alteraun Verner, MLB Reggie Carter and DT Brian Price.

The schedule is also much easier next year.

It would be a disappointment if we don't win 7-8 games next year, which would be the next logical step in the second year of a new coaching staff (or at least one as good as Neuheisel's).

Still a long, long, long way behind USC, but it has to start somewhere. My prediction is this game will mean something next year, although it won't truly be a game to watch until 2010, I am guessing.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You'd have gotten far worse in person. You've got zero business jumping on a regular here for no damned reason. Alas, one of the sad realities of the internet is that you're safe behind your keyboard instead of having somebody knock you upside the head like you seem to be in desperate need of.

Got it, so you'll physically threaten me. And toss out the "regular" as if I am not one myself. If you're ever in LA, feel free to stop by and I'll let you tell me whatever you think you're holding back here. Just send me a PM ahead of time, so I know to be home when you come by.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Good for him. I'd love to see this become a yearly tradition again.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #38
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
That's interesting - West Virginia will be wearing all white at home on Saturday. It's a White Out since it's Pat White's last home game. USF agreed to wear their dark jerseys. No timeouts were harmed.

Yeah, Ga Tech went back to wearing white at home this year. They have to get permission from each visiting team. Several years ago, Wake Forest insisted GT wear colors so they didn't have to wear black on a hot early fall Saturday.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #39
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Just saw on ESPNEWS that Vidal Hazelton is transferring.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #40
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Just saw on ESPNEWS that Vidal Hazelton is transferring.

Oooooo...Penn State was the the runner-up in that recruiting chase two years ago.

Not sure if he lands there, but I'd like that very much.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not the one posting "angry" emoticons, am I? You sure the right guy is taking the chill pill?
I'm actually not bent out of shape at all. You're (as usual) misreading tone through the Internet. I am merely dispensing my opinion of your stance. Sorry you don't like someone actually disagreeing with you, and (with reason) wondering why your opinion on it even matters.
After going to bed, waking up, and re-reading this...I still have no idea how you came to be so...bitter.

I posted the angry emot because it reminded me of, well, you. I wasn't angry. What reason would I have had to be angry?

I could care less about the rule per say. I don't believe breaking it is the answer. I believe changing the rule is the answer.

I understand your position. You're a UCLA fan. You want this to happen. I'm a college football fan. I want this to happen. I just want it to happen without breaking a stupid rule. The rule is, after all, stupid. Let every team play each other in their solid color outside of two teams with the same one. I'm all for it.

I didn't like many of the ridiculous rules in my youth football league this year. I questioned a few of them as the season progressed. Now that the season is over I'm looking to get some of them changed. However, breaking a rule because you don't like it is a terrible message.

I don't suspect I'm in the majority here. I don't suspect 10% of the nation would agree with me. I don't suspect, for whatever reason, that you'll ever agree with me on anything. I'm not sure why, but so be it.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Oooooo...Penn State was the the runner-up in that recruiting chase two years ago.

Sitting out a year for one year of eligibility? I think he's headed for a FCS school without digging much into ti.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Both guys that PSU lost on the last day to USC, Brodrick Green and Hazelton have now transferred from USC.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #44
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Sitting out a year for one year of eligibility? I think he's headed for a FCS school without digging much into ti.

Probably. No matter what, I'm sure he's heading back to the East Coast. I know his Dad was really pushing him to Penn State back then. I think Hazleton's relatives have been having health problems.

Quote:
Both guys that PSU lost on the last day to USC, Brodrick Green and Hazelton have now transferred from USC.

Heh, forgot about Green.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After going to bed, waking up, and re-reading this...I still have no idea how you came to be so...bitter.

I posted the angry emot because it reminded me of, well, you. I wasn't angry. What reason would I have had to be angry?

I could care less about the rule per say. I don't believe breaking it is the answer. I believe changing the rule is the answer.

I understand your position. You're a UCLA fan. You want this to happen. I'm a college football fan. I want this to happen. I just want it to happen without breaking a stupid rule. The rule is, after all, stupid. Let every team play each other in their solid color outside of two teams with the same one. I'm all for it.

I didn't like many of the ridiculous rules in my youth football league this year. I questioned a few of them as the season progressed. Now that the season is over I'm looking to get some of them changed. However, breaking a rule because you don't like it is a terrible message.

I don't suspect I'm in the majority here. I don't suspect 10% of the nation would agree with me. I don't suspect, for whatever reason, that you'll ever agree with me on anything. I'm not sure why, but so be it.

I was never bitter or angry whatsoever. You're still reading into it what you want to see, because it makes you feel better about your own reaction, I suppose. I don't know, I'm no psychiatrist. But neither are you, so I say we both just stop trying to guess if the other one is "mad".

Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jackets' Dwyer named ACC player of the year | ajc.com

Georgia Tech’s Jonathan Dwyer was named the ACC’s player of the year on Wednesday.

Dwyer led the ACC with 1,328 yards this season from his B-Back position. He also scored 12 touchdowns. He received 30 of 67 votes by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association, finishing ahead of Florida State’s Everette Brown (nine votes) and NC State’s Russell Wilson (eight votes).

“There are so many talented players in this conference, I feel very honored and fortunate to receive this award,” Dwyer said in a statement released to the media. “My teammates definitely deserve a part of the award. We have so many talented guys on our offense that it really made things easier for me. I also have to thank our offensive line, which overcame so many injuries.”

Dwyer is the third player from Tech to win the award, joining quarterback Joe Hamilton (1999) and wide receiver Calvin Johnson (2006).

Dwyer, from Marietta, rushed for more than 100 yards nine times this season, to tie a school record.

“I am really proud of Jonathan,” Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said in a statement released to the media. “He has a lot of talent and is a very gifted young man. We did not have a lot of depth behind him, and he did not miss a game and rarely sat out of practice.

“His work ethic, durability and toughness were very impressive to me. I think Jon is going to continue to get better. I think he deserves this very prestigious honor.”

Johnson was named the ACC coach of the year on Tuesday.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #47
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ball State has turned down the Humanitarian Bowl bid that might have matched them up with Boise State.

Ball State Daily News
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ball State has turned down the Humanitarian Bowl bid that might have matched them up with Boise State.

Ball State Daily News

Can't blame them. Why play them on their home turf and take a financial loss (not to mention a possible loss on the field) to do this. Seems silly. Interesting that the Ball State students seem to think that it was a good idea.

I would too, just not played in Boise. Maybe if they did it somewhere else as a one-year thing, that'd be better. Bowls have gone to alternate sites for one year in the past.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #49
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Can't blame them. Why play them on their home turf and take a financial loss (not to mention a possible loss on the field) to do this. Seems silly. Interesting that the Ball State students seem to think that it was a good idea.

I would too, just not played in Boise. Maybe if they did it somewhere else as a one-year thing, that'd be better. Bowls have gone to alternate sites for one year in the past.

You see I think the exact opposite. Boise State already has credibility because of their win against Oklahoma a few years back...this could be Ball State's chance to take that step. A win for them in that game could be huge for their program. If they win Saturday they will be 13-0...great undefeated...but put them at 14-0 and a win against Boise State, and undefeated Boise State would be big.

If you want respect you have to take chances, so Ball State can't complain when they win against an easier opponent but still don't get any respect.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
You see I think the exact opposite. Boise State already has credibility because of their win against Oklahoma a few years back...this could be Ball State's chance to take that step. A win for them in that game could be huge for their program. If they win Saturday they will be 13-0...great undefeated...but put them at 14-0 and a win against Boise State, and undefeated Boise State would be big.

If you want respect you have to take chances, so Ball State can't complain when they win against an easier opponent but still don't get any respect.

The home game makes it fundamentally unequal, it's not broadcast at night and it's in a TV market that will ensure it gets little to no pub unless they game was electrifying. If they'd gone neutral site, that'd be better. But to do it in Boise? No way. Let the Broncos go to a BCS game and let Ball State go to the International Bowl and try for an undefeated year.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote