Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The New XBox Live Expeirence

Downloading now .. I'll have impressions soon.

anyone else have it yet?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It takes like 2-3 minutes to download which is nice.

Trippy video to open up with too, no less.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

From just looking at it, I figured it would take an hour to download. It is cool that it only takes a couple of minutes.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

so much crap to choose with these avatars.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Not sure why they have umpteen pages of avatars to choose from. After you finally pick one, the next page allows you to customize the avatar completely, making it look just like any of the ones you saw if you scrolled through multiple pages.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Not sure why they have umpteen pages of avatars to choose from. After you finally pick one, the next page allows you to customize the avatar completely, making it look just like any of the ones you saw if you scrolled through multiple pages.

lol yup. I noticed that. 2 minutes of my life I won't ever get back.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
dolfin
High School JV

I started the download when I woke up this morning, thinking I'd let it update while at work. I was amazed when it was finished before I could even get my coat and gather by breakfast for the road.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm guessing that the option to download the game to the HDD will be the most important aspect of this update. On the consumer end, it allows wait times to be significantly reduced. Also, the reduction in disc access will result in a much quieter gaming experience as the disc access will be reduced to almost nothing.

On MS's end, the reduced use of the disc drive should minimize the number of drive failures, which should help MS's bottom line in regard to warranty repairs. Also, MS is already reporting a significant increase in the sales of their larger HDD's, which are a major revenue source and should help their profit numbers.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mine just downloaded in under 2 minutes.

Edit: And yes, that opening video is trippy.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-19-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what is important about this dl?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm guessing that the option to download the game to the HDD will be the most important aspect of this update.

If this new functionality is added, I'll be very happy. Since my xbox is new, I only have a small handful of games. Not having to swap between 2-3 different discs will be nice.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
what is important about this dl?

It is a complete change to the UI. It adds the option to run games from the hard drive, allows Netflix streaming, and is supposed to have more "community" type features. It is a pretty big change, here's the link directly off of the MS site about the update:

Xbox.com | New Xbox Experience
Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
If this new functionality is added, I'll be very happy. Since my xbox is new, I only have a small handful of games. Not having to swap between 2-3 different discs will be nice.

You'll still have to have the disc in the tray, but the load will come off the HDD. Still have to have the disc to keep people from renting a game, and just loading it to the HDD.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I installed it this morning and created my avatar. I didn't find it as good as the Wii avatar maker thing, but still neat and better than the old gamer pics.

The intro video was stupid and a waste of everyones time.

The interface itself looked a little strange, but I didn't have any real time to play around with it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm not a hardcore gamer, and don't own a gaming system at the moment. I consider getting one every once in a while, but it wouldn't be for heavy use. The Netflix streaming option and seemingly other movies and TV on demand looks interesting to me as a way to make a game system more reasonable for me to get. What are people's thoughts and experiences with that aspect of the system?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

The feature I'm looking forward to the most is the new group voice chat. Second is installing games to my harddrive, although realistically I'll only have room for 1 game at a time on there.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Installing games to the HD is a good enough benefit that I finally have a reason to look to upgrade the original harddrive - maybe as a Christmas gift. I think that will end up being a smart move on the part of MS.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-19-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Dola

The feature I'm looking forward to the most is the new group voice chat. Second is installing games to my harddrive, although realistically I'll only have room for 1 game at a time on there.

Agreed 100%. It'll be nice to play a game like Halo with 3 other guys and not have to listen to 14 year old punks spew racist nonsense.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sorry for asking a dumb question here guys but am I able to purchase basically a second HDD for my X-Box to swap on and off of it? That would be nice since I've only got the 20 gb it came with.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I'm sorry for asking a dumb question here guys but am I able to purchase basically a second HDD for my X-Box to swap on and off of it? That would be nice since I've only got the 20 gb it came with.

No, you can only have one "active" drive. But if you do get a bigger drive, you can transfer the contents of the existing 20GB drive to it.

Last edited by cartman : 11-19-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

No, you won't be able to swap. You can buy a second HDD from Microsoft (not just any old drive), transfer everything to it, then sell your old 20GB to somebody who bought an Arcade model...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Gracias amigos, sounds like something to put on the X-Mas list.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

With a bit of Google searching, there is a way to "roll your own" 120GB upgrade. It involves getting a specific model HD, flashing its firmware, and going from there. I've been tempted to give it a try.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

Any idea how much of the hard drive one game will eat up?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Nice Cartman. I'm going to get the 120 gb. Is there an easy way to move my saves?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Agreed 100%. It'll be nice to play a game like Halo with 3 other guys and not have to listen to 14 year old punks spew racist nonsense.

The other benefit is, if I understand how this will work, that I should be able to chat with my friends who are online and yet not playing the same game as me. For example, a bunch of my friends have been playing Battlefield together consistently for the last few months, but I can't play because the game makes me physically ill for some reason. So lots of times I'd be online playing Civ Rev or NHL and they'd all be in Battlefield, but I couldn't interact with them. Now, as I understand it, we should be able to set up a group chat channel and all converse regardless of what games we're playing. So even though I'm not playing BF with them, I can still sort of feel like part of the group and stay in touch and whatnot. That's what I'm really looking forward to.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Nice Cartman. I'm going to get the 120 gb. Is there an easy way to move my saves?

There is a free cable you can request from MS that will allow you to transfer your existing drive contents to the new one.

Last edited by cartman : 11-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #28
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
With a bit of Google searching, there is a way to "roll your own" 120GB upgrade. It involves getting a specific model HD, flashing its firmware, and going from there. I've been tempted to give it a try.

Is this allowed? I would be worried about getting hit with the banhammer.

edit: Woops, rather than the banhammer (which I think is a function of playing illegal games) I meant to say would it void the warranty?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 11-19-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #29
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You'll still have to have the disc in the tray, but the load will come off the HDD. Still have to have the disc to keep people from renting a game, and just loading it to the HDD.

This is slightly disappointing, but I guess understandable. Not sure how they could allow the game to not be in the tray and still prevent piracy. Still, it would be nice to be able to jump from Lego Star Wars to GoW2 when friends come online without walking all the way across the theater. That sort of ruins the lazy indulgence of video games.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Any idea how much of the hard drive one game will eat up?

So how much time are you saving? - Xbox 360 NXE Hard Drive Install Chart
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #31
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Still, it would be nice to be able to jump from Lego Star Wars to GoW2 when friends come online without walking all the way across the theater. That sort of ruins the lazy indulgence of video games.

Seriously?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Seriously?

I agree with BrianD. After I play a disc-based game, I sometimes want to play something else, but don't feel like getting off my ass to switch disks. So I'll just switch to playing a PSN download game to avoid getting up. Lazy gaming at its finest.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Is this allowed? I would be worried about getting hit with the banhammer.

edit: Woops, rather than the banhammer (which I think is a function of playing illegal games) I meant to say would it void the warranty?

Probably, but if you ever had to send it in for warranty, send it back with the original 20GB drive.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #34
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would be concerned that they could detect the flashed firmware. With the RROD thing, voiding the warranty could be expensive.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I would be concerned that they could detect the flashed firmware. With the RROD thing, voiding the warranty could be expensive.

From what I understand, the firmware is a copy of the existing firmware of the MS drives they sell. In that case, there wouldn't be a way to tell. But I can understand the concern. That's why it isn't a viable option for everyone.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #36
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree with BrianD. After I play a disc-based game, I sometimes want to play something else, but don't feel like getting off my ass to switch disks. So I'll just switch to playing a PSN download game to avoid getting up. Lazy gaming at its finest.

Wow.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #37
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
Probably, but if you ever had to send it in for warranty, send it back with the original 20GB drive.

I think when you send it in for warranty you keep the drive and just send in the console.

I'd imagine, though that if not done correctly, it would definitely result in a ban from Live.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #38
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously?

Seriously. I admitted that it was lazy from the start. It isn't a deal-breaker type of thing, but the flexibility is nice. Really, it isn't all that different from changing channels on a TV and not wanting to get up. It sort of feels like holding technology back without a good purpose.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
I think when you send it in for warranty you keep the drive and just send in the console.

This is correct. If you have the RROD or the like you unplug all peripherals, including the HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #40
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seriously. I admitted that it was lazy from the start. It isn't a deal-breaker type of thing, but the flexibility is nice. Really, it isn't all that different from changing channels on a TV and not wanting to get up. It sort of feels like holding technology back without a good purpose.

I guess, except that you change channels a lot more frequently than changing game discs. It just feels incredibly lazy to me, and I know you and MBBF are admitting it, but it just shocks me.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

What's the point of saving a game to the hard drive?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm guessing that the option to download the game to the HDD will be the most important aspect of this update. On the consumer end, it allows wait times to be significantly reduced. Also, the reduction in disc access will result in a much quieter gaming experience as the disc access will be reduced to almost nothing.

On MS's end, the reduced use of the disc drive should minimize the number of drive failures, which should help MS's bottom line in regard to warranty repairs. Also, MS is already reporting a significant increase in the sales of their larger HDD's, which are a major revenue source and should help their profit numbers.

If only the HDDs were fairly priced...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #43
DanGarion
Coordinator

FYI, Sony is not allowing streaming of their movies through the 360, it's being talked about on a bunch of sites.

Side note, there is a work around, since via Windows Media Center you could already play Netflix movies via a plugin, pain in the ass, but not an end game.

Last edited by DanGarion : 11-19-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Tried out the Netflix streaming.. very nice.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Netflix + High Speed Internet = HD Movies. Love this.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Netflix + High Speed Internet = HD Movies. Love this.

How is the quality? And you say they are HD?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #47
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
How is the quality? And you say they are HD?

All of them no, but the ones I've checked have been. 1080i to my TV from the 360.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #48
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
All of them no, but the ones I've checked have been. 1080i to my TV from the 360.

Its streams in HD video but with just normal audio if I read correctly. Cant tell for myself as mine is out of commission with the RROD right now.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see this in action this morning!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #50
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

The avatars annoy me quite a bit. It's so Wii-like that it makes me roll my eyes every time I see one. I thought Sony had the market cornered on copying ideas? Argh. I'm a curmudgeon I guess

I like a lot of stuff about the new interface. I think once I get used to it that it will be far better.

The "installing" game option is very cool...so cool that I went out tonight and (foolishly) bought a 120 GB hard drive. I'm transferring the data now and will be installing some games tonight I always thought that the mandatory installs the PS3 had was stupid. But since it will speed up load times and is optional on the 360, I think it will be pretty cool. Hopefully the load time reductions are significant. Up to 50% from what I'm reading.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote