Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Zone Alarm Pro Free giveaway just today

Not sure how many people use or want to use Zone Alarm (or Zone Alarm Pro). I personally don't use it, but I figured some here may. Checkpoint is having a 15 year anniversary of I guess their first firewall release, so to celebrate, they are giving away Zone Alarm Pro free to anyone for just one computer activation. Anyhows, if anyone is interested here is the link:

ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Not sure how many people use or want to use Zone Alarm (or Zone Alarm Pro). I personally don't use it, but I figured some here may. Checkpoint is having a 15 year anniversary of I guess their first firewall release, so to celebrate, they are giving away Zone Alarm Pro free to anyone for just one computer activation. Anyhows, if anyone is interested here is the link:

ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

I have been using AVG 7.0 freeware version and it is alright. This is a good deal how do people like Zone Alarm? I use to use it like 4.5 version and stopped is it any good now?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

isn't AVG simply an antivirus and not really a firewall? I'm using the free Zone Alarm for firewall with AVG as antivirus right now, will try to remember to download and install the paying version of ZA tonight...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 11-18-2008 at 02:30 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
isn't AVG simply an antivirus and not really a firewall? I'm using the free Zone Alarm for firewall with AVG as antivirus right now, will try to remember to download and install the paying version of ZA tonight...

FM

Yes, good catch. I use the windows firewall standard and AVG (along with a bunch of other security apps for defense in depth)
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think AVG has a firewall feature add on that you can purchase as well to go with its antivirus (I could be wrong, but that is what I remember).

This may sound weird coming from me since I am a network security engineer.. but on my systems I actually just use the normal windows firewall (along with various other things to block scripting in browser windows). On my network however I have other stronger firewalls that block a whole lot more. Actually paid off about 9 months ago when my wife's computer somehow got a virus from an iframe attack on ivillage.com's forum website.. go figure.

I'm not trying to turn anyone off from using a personal firewall software though, so don't take me the wrong way.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
This may sound weird coming from me since I am a network security engineer.. but on my systems I actually just use the normal windows firewall (along with various other things to block scripting in browser windows). On my network however I have other stronger firewalls that block a whole lot more. Actually paid off about 9 months ago when my wife's computer somehow got a virus from an iframe attack on ivillage.com's forum website.. go figure.

I'm not trying to turn anyone off from using a personal firewall software though, so don't take me the wrong way.

yeah, I know there's a firewall in Windows but I figured that ZA being free, and not attached to MS, it was worth it to use it, you know, given how bad people just love to attack everything made by MS...

Not sure it has had to block any attack, but I know it's there just in case.

Just saw that ZA Pro has some spyware block type thing that might be interesting, given how my 11yo son has started browsing a bit and someday, it's inevitable that some crap will try to get on the PC...

FM
Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If we're playing "this is the software firewall i use" I use Comodo. *shrug* got good reviews and i put it up against one of those "test your firewall" websites and it did real well in making me invisible
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Tim Tellean
High School JV

They are now "taking orders" and sending out confirmation emails due to heavy traffic.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote