Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL Coaching hiring/firing Thread

An NFL companion thread to dawgfan's college thread. We already have three head coaches gone in San Fran, Oakland and St. Louis. I am not sure that any of the interim coaches will get the permanent job. Holmgren is gone in Seattle, with Jim Mora Jr. taking over.

I think there is a consensus that there will be opening in Detroit and Cleveland. I keep hearing that Herm Edwards and Marvin Lewis is going to hang on to their jobs due to owners' patience.

Who are the hot coordinators in the league right now? I keep hearing about Jim Fassel coming back and maybe Martz getting a shot somewhere, but I don't hear anything about the next offensive/defensive "genius"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Bill Cowher will be a candidate for the Cleveland job if/when it opens.

I could also see him being lured to Dallas if Phillips goes.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to go out on a limb and call Russ Grimm to Cleveland. I doubt they will fire Savage, so that should mean no Cowher. Grimm seems dumber than Romeo, so he'd be a good fit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think Wade Phillips could be on the hot seat as well, and if they continue the way they have the last six weeks perhaps the wunderkind Garrett isn't a shoe-in for the job either.

I think because Garrett has not been that good, Wade might get a bit of a break.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
johneh
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and call Russ Grimm to Cleveland. I doubt they will fire Savage, so that should mean no Cowher. Grimm seems dumber than Romeo, so he'd be a good fit.

There is also some talk that the Browns might be sold and that the new ownership group will clean house - Romeo & Savage will be gone.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm simply stunned Mangini is out in New York and Mike Tannenbaum still has a job. It wasn't Mangini who made the trade for Favre, and it was Favre who threw away the Jets season (literally) in the last month of the season. I don't necessarily think Mangini is a genius but I don't think the collapse was his fault, unless it was entirely his idea to unload Pennington and bring in Favre.

Job openings:
New York Jets
Cleveland
Detroit
Seattle (do they have a successor in place?)

Likely openings:
St. Louis
Oakland
Kansas City

On the hot seat:
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Dallas
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville

Given the short fuse owners have anymore, I almost put Zorn and Payton on the hot seat list. If the Chargers and Eagles flame out spectactularly Norv and Reid could go too. I'm assuming Shanahan is safe.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Saw a report on ESPN that Cowher may be interested in the Jets job.

I'm not a Cowboys' fan (not really too much feeling on them these days), but I'd like to see how he'd do in Dallas.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
dervack
College Prospect

I thought that Jim Mora Jr was the likely head coach in Sea.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Jas_lov
College Starter

Is the Bengals owner so cheap that he won't fire Marvin Lewis because he doesn't want to pay to buy him out? Lewis should have been gone long ago.

I was surprised the Jets got rid of Mangini. I thought Favre would be the one to go and he probably should anyway.

How is Gruden on the hot seat? They had a monumental collapse but I haven't heard anything about him being in trouble.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I thought that Jim Mora Jr was the likely head coach in Sea.

He was the head coach in waiting at the beginning of the season. I have not heard anything to the contrary since.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'm simply stunned Mangini is out in New York and Mike Tannenbaum still has a job. It wasn't Mangini who made the trade for Favre, and it was Favre who threw away the Jets season (literally) in the last month of the season. I don't necessarily think Mangini is a genius but I don't think the collapse was his fault, unless it was entirely his idea to unload Pennington and bring in Favre.

Much has also been made of the collapse the Jets defense went through over the last several weeks.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The idiot Dolphins coach has got to fucking go!

Oh wait, I don't have to do that anymore.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Much has also been made of the collapse the Jets defense went through over the last several weeks.
I hear that, but no defense is going to look good when their quarterback can't keep them off the field by completing 56% of his passes with 9 picks and a rating under 60 over the last five games. Blaming the defense and Mangini for the team's collapse and not blaming Favre and the guy who brought him there is why the Jets are the Jets.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
RedKingGold
College Starter

Old news, but the 49ers removed the "interim" tag off of Head Coach Mike Singletary.

I guess I like the news.....for now. I was critical of Singletary at first, when he bungled the Cardinals game and his famous "I want winners" and/or pants dropping speeches. However, San Francisco players did continue to play hard for him for the end of a lost season.

The best news is that Mike Martz is likely toast. I never liked that move and thought (correctly) that it would set back the progress of the offense. The biggest question is at quarterback. I guess Hill is Singletary's guy, but I kinda hope the 49er's do not give up on Smith.

Alex is still in his mid-twenties, and the 49er's have had seven different offensive coordinators since 2000. I was secretly hoping that Norv Turner would get fired from San Diego and could come back as the 49er's OC, but that's not a possibility now with the Chargers in the playoffs.

If the 49ers could get a stable offensive system in place, then it should be a good team. I guess the one thing San Francisco has going for it is that the NFC West is pretty poor. The Seahawks and Rams look to have rebuilding to do, and Arizona looks like no great dynasty.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

There's talk that Parcells is already ready to move on from Miami...and that he may not necessarily be inclined to go to another office job, if you know what I mean.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't mid Parcells leaving. I think the one thing he gave the team besides bring in the GM and the HC is he had their backs. No player was going behind the coach and/or GM to run to the team president to plead their case. I am not sure he deserved as much credit as he has received but he set the tone for the organization.

Back to the job openings, is Cowher really worth $8-$10 million and total control of an organization? Really?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There's talk that Parcells is already ready to move on from Miami...and that he may not necessarily be inclined to go to another office job, if you know what I mean.

Part of his contract allows him to opt out if he Miami has a new owner, correct? I didn't realize the Dolphins were on the market.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Back to the job openings, is Cowher really worth $8-$10 million and total control of an organization? Really?

Why on earth would the money really matter? I mean, if you don't think he's good enough, fine. But if you're lucky enough to be an NFL owner, and you have the complete protection of a serious salary cap that ensures your team's profitability... why not add another percent or two to the team's total expenses to try to bring aboard someone who could have a massive impact on the franchise's success (and revenue stream)?

Seriously, in a league where you really cannot outspend other teams on players as a way to make a difference... why on earth would you be horrified to pay a few million more to get a guy who may make more of an impact than just about any sign-able free agent player this year, when that money doesn't draw away from your ability to still spend money on players?

If you're not sold on Cowher, fine. Look at the turnaround with the Dolphins under Parcells and his track record. Say he's a free agent to come be your lord-and-master-of-football-operations this offseason. If you're a giant turd-sucking team like the Rams or the Chiefs, why would you even bat an eyelash at paying him $5 million, or $10 million, to take over?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Why on earth would the money really matter? I mean, if you don't think he's good enough, fine. But if you're lucky enough to be an NFL owner, and you have the complete protection of a serious salary cap that ensures your team's profitability... why not add another percent or two to the team's total expenses to try to bring aboard someone who could have a massive impact on the franchise's success (and revenue stream)?

Seriously, in a league where you really cannot outspend other teams on players as a way to make a difference... why on earth would you be horrified to pay a few million more to get a guy who may make more of an impact than just about any sign-able free agent player this year, when that money doesn't draw away from your ability to still spend money on players?

If you're not sold on Cowher, fine. Look at the turnaround with the Dolphins under Parcells and his track record. Say he's a free agent to come be your lord-and-master-of-football-operations this offseason. If you're a giant turd-sucking team like the Rams or the Chiefs, why would you even bat an eyelash at paying him $5 million, or $10 million, to take over?

Whoa! Are you Bill Cowher's agent? I don't care how much a team pays him. What has Bill Cowher done to prove that he is worth given total control of your entire football operations to? What has Bill Cowher done to be the highest paid coach in the league? Especially when you compare his track record with say a Bill Parcells and the track record of the coach/GM/ President types in NFL.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

My point isn't really about Cowher, it's about the ability to spend uncapped money on non-player areas and NFL teams' general reluctance to do so.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nationalfootballpost.com reported that Shanahan was fired in Denver. However, the site has apparently been farked, and they were the only ones reporting this.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

NFL.com now is reporting it.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

No shit? Wow...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It was on ESPN's ticker too. Wow.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also Martz is officially fired (that isn't all that shocking though).
Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder if both sides have signed Singletary's contract in San Fran?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Alright, the Bills are keeping the moron Dick Jauron for at least another season.

I hate being a Bills fan. I kind of wish Ralph Wilson would just sell the team already (and let the new owner move them). At least allow an owner to care about spending money to win (if it's LA, Toronto, ect.).

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-30-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nationalfootballpost.com reported that Shanahan was fired in Denver. However, the site has apparently been farked, and they were the only ones reporting this.

I wonder if they were going to strip him of his executive powers and he told them to fire him.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
RedKingGold
College Starter

I would have loved to seen Shanahan come back to San Francisco.

Damn.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
Logan
Head Coach

We do need an OC...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
We do need an OC...

I don't think he would be an OC. He'll probably land a HC job somewhere.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
SFL Cat
College Starter

I don't see Parcels going anywhere, unless he just doesn't like the new owner of the Dolphins, especially not for a coaching job.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 12-30-2008 at 05:05 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I don't think he would be an OC. He'll probably land a HC job somewhere.

I know, that was just very, very wishful thinking.

Shanahan being available probably costs Cowher some money.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

Shanahan should go to KC, so he can beat up on the Raiders and the Broncos each year. Sounds good.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-30-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #35
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My point isn't really about Cowher, it's about the ability to spend uncapped money on non-player areas and NFL teams' general reluctance to do so.

Yup. In my mind, this is an area where the Dallas/NY/big market teams out to take every advantage possible - Dan Snyder is wrong about a lot of things, but he's right about this.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I wonder if they were going to strip him of his executive powers and he told them to fire him.

That's the word on the streets here locally.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

I'd say the same thing if I had three more contracted years coming to me.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yup. In my mind, this is an area where the Dallas/NY/big market teams out to take every advantage possible - Dan Snyder is wrong about a lot of things, but he's right about this.

Wasn't this an issue for the league a few years ago? Concern about the rising salaries of assistant coaches around the league? I remember there being some concern teams signing assistants to head coaching type salaries.

It seems to go against the basic philosophy that NFL types talk so proudly about. Everything in the league is about everyone having the same resources to work with when it come to the on the field product with very few extremes. So it is all about who plays harder, coaches better, scouts better etc. Buying the best coaches because of outside resources would go against that IMO. Of course the league is a copycat league so if a owner decided to spend $20 million on his staff and won a Super Bowl, other teams would follow suit. However at this point, having the highest paid coaching staff has not led to Super Bowl success, has it?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm calling it now:

The Broncos will hire Brett Favre to be Head Coach and QB. Meanwhile, Jay Cutler will get traded to the Lions and lead them to a division title.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #40
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The Drunk Guy thread is that way, larry ---->
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm somewhat worried about cowher raiding the steelers front office. Those guys are too notch.
Shanahan to the Browns would be a great fit for both parties. Thru have some good pieces and an owner willing to spend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I hope Urban Meyer goes to the NFL.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #43
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I hope Urban Meyer goes to the NFL.

Why?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #44
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hope Rich Rodriguez goes to the NFL.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why?

Are you seriously asking why a Florida State fan would want Urban Meyer to leave Florida?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #46
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why?

I have a vested interest in his leaving.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #47
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Are you seriously asking why a Florida State fan would want Urban Meyer to leave Florida?

What he said.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #48
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

What he said.

I always thought you were a fan of the U.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #49
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I always thought you were a fan of the U.

Would be my second favorite team. I had to be the black sheep of the family where everyone is a cane fan.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #50
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I knew he liked Florida State, but I always thought he liked the other Florida teams as well.