Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

.NET Help

Ok, so all of a sudden on Thursday some of my code changes in a C#.NET project weren't being seen. After two days of troubleshooting, it seems like some projects in this TFS-managed solution aren't running through the code I have??? What I mean is that there's some code in some projects that I can alter and set a breakpoint, and it'll stop there. But some projects have code that I don't even alter, and the code never hits the breakpoint (when it obviously should).

So, it seems like a weird .NET screw up... but I have no idea how to fix this. Anyone else come across this? It started not working out of nowhere...

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

not much help but:

do you have rights to get latest version for the complete solution(s)? If so, get latest of everything and break from TFS to isolate this as a TFS issue or not.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Other devs don't seem to have this problem. My next step if I get stuck again is to get a latest and merge it with my current changes...

A thing I noticed is if I'm running the code and go to Debug->Windows->Modules... the projects that give me trouble show as "User Code = No" and they're stored in the GAC... could this be a problem, and is there a solution?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What is TFS?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

team foundation server. Source control built into .NET 2005.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I haven't used TFS, only VSS (well and subversion and git), but is it possible that the projects are not properly bound? It actually sounds unrelated to TFS, though. Probably something code specific that is hard to diagnose without more information.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Check to make sure the offending projects are being built in debug mode rather than release mode. I had a project randomly switch on me just a couple weeks ago, all the sudden I couldn't pause in my unit tests.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

They seem properly bound. I'm going to try and get a latest this morning since I'm still stuck.

I checked the properties on the projects and they're set to "Active (Debug)" which is the same as the projects that do work.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Also make sure that it's working off the other project and not a built .dll reference.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Check to see what folder the output goes into when you build the offending project, and make sure there are .pdb files getting created in there along with the .dll's.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Are your solution/project files in TFS, or only the actual code?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I searched my entire dev folder for that offending .dll, and replaced all instances with an updated one that has my code. And .pdbs are located there as well. It just seems like none of my changes are being seen, even UI changes. So even if the .dll and .pdb files are updated, I thought maybe my code wasn't even in there. But Reflector shows that my functions are there...

For some projects we (well, not our office but another office as part of the same company, so we have to do it too) do something with the GAC... is there a way to refresh the .dlls in there?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Are your solution/project files in TFS, or only the actual code?

Everything is in TFS.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Again, hard to tell without seeing it, but...

Are you 100% absolutely swear on your mother's grave certain it should be hitting those breakpoints in the code you haven't changed?

If you change that code, do the rendered pages change?

Is this a desktop app or ASP.NET?

Have you tried re-specifying your references (if you have multiple projects in the same solution)?

Have you tried setting a breakpoint right at the beginning and stepping through until you "lose" where you think it should be going?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

I know, it's hard to troubleshoot. I had other devs here try to help and no luck. I've deleted the entries from the GAC and got a latest, but neither worked.

When I hit a breakpoint before a line that complains about a missing function (that I know is there), and I go into the Immediate Window... type in the object containing the function it complains about, I see the function in the intellisense list!! When I try to call that function though, it gives me the same missing error.

Yes, I'm 100% sure it should be hitting those breakpoints. If it doesn't hit the breakpoints though, whatever. I just don't know why the actual functions aren't being found. I've used Reflector and the .dll shows me that the functions exist there.

Desktop app.

I can try to delete the project references and add them again.

Yes, I tried following until I lose it. There's just weirdness going on. I'm in one object, and there's a call to a function in the same object (i.e. this.blah)... when I try to step into blah, it won't do it and instead gives me an error involving the missing function (the call is a few lines into blah).
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I know, it's hard to troubleshoot. I had other devs here try to help and no luck. I've deleted the entries from the GAC and got a latest, but neither worked.

When I hit a breakpoint before a line that complains about a missing function (that I know is there), and I go into the Immediate Window... type in the object containing the function it complains about, I see the function in the intellisense list!! When I try to call that function though, it gives me the same missing error.

Yes, I'm 100% sure it should be hitting those breakpoints. If it doesn't hit the breakpoints though, whatever. I just don't know why the actual functions aren't being found. I've used Reflector and the .dll shows me that the functions exist there.

Desktop app.

I can try to delete the project references and add them again.

Yes, I tried following until I lose it. There's just weirdness going on. I'm in one object, and there's a call to a function in the same object (i.e. this.blah)... when I try to step into blah, it won't do it and instead gives me an error involving the missing function (the call is a few lines into blah).

Wait, so.. you can have a breakopint in the same object/file that it hits, but it does not hit a breakpoint elsewhere in the file? You don't have something strange with static vs. non-static methods or something, do you?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Wait, so.. you can have a breakopint in the same object/file that it hits, but it does not hit a breakpoint elsewhere in the file? You don't have something strange with static vs. non-static methods or something, do you?

Two of the functions are static. I have other functions/objects not being recognized too, but could it be because of my two static methods? They were working for a month before everything went to hell late last week...
Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Two of the functions are static. I have other functions/objects not being recognized too, but could it be because of my two static methods? They were working for a month before everything went to hell late last week...

It depends on how everything is being instantiated/called. It's possible you're trying to call it as a local method rather than static or vice versa. The odd thing here is that it is working for everyone else. Perhaps try deleting your .suo and .csproj.user files? That should delete any sort of wierd project relationships that are unique to your dev environment.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

One new development now... I've been told now that the GAC should not have the same version .dll as in the folder were we have a bunch of references. I can't get the entry to stay out of GAC, but when I change the project's version... I can run the code as intended sometimes. This is still wrong, since I shouldn't have to change the project's version... no idea how to keep entries out of the GAC. They get re-populated once I rebuild the solution.

I'll go along this path for now, since it seems to be some GAC versioning bullshit. But if I can't resolve it this way, I'll try deleting those files. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
One new development now... I've been told now that the GAC should not have the same version .dll as in the folder were we have a bunch of references. I can't get the entry to stay out of GAC, but when I change the project's version... I can run the code as intended sometimes. This is still wrong, since I shouldn't have to change the project's version... no idea how to keep entries out of the GAC. They get re-populated once I rebuild the solution.

I'll go along this path for now, since it seems to be some GAC versioning bullshit. But if I can't resolve it this way, I'll try deleting those files. Thanks.

That sucks. I do strictly ASP.NET development and we do nothing with the GAC, so any help I could give on that would be to google search along side whatever research you're doing.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hate the GAC, it is evil.