Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Taco Bell ad

My group of friends actually had a friend do something similar to what the guy does in the Taco Bell ad. We were in Vegas at a nice steakhouse and not only did he choose to eat fast food instead of their food but he also brought it into the restaurant and ordered drinks and ate it at the table.

Where the ad goes wrong is that he regrets his decision more and more every time we get together as we use some form of the "cheap bastard in Vegas" joke for at least 10 minutes during the night. We were actually disgusted and extremly embarassed by his choice at the time and there were no pats on the back and laughter.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I took McDonald's to a restaurant in Singapore. I was on a limited budget and my friends were not.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would like to see someone take Burger King into a McD's and sit down and eat.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

..that one would be pretty tough to pull off, as you'd have to find someone willing to eat Burger King.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
..that one would be pretty tough to pull off, as you'd have to find someone willing to eat Burger King.

I'd take BK over McD any day of the week.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Gah
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We have done similar with the kids.

We actually belly laughed a few weeks ago while out of town, a Wendy's had a sign "No food from establishments other than Wendy's can be brought into this restaurant. Sorry for any inconvenience."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

I worked at a small coffee roaster / coffee shop once. There was this guy who would bring in Starbucks coffee from down the street. He'd buy a newspaper from the newstand on the ohter side. Then sit down at our soda fountain counter and ready the newspaper and drink Starbucks. When we said "can I get you something?" He'd say, "No, thanks."

Man, the balls. He stopped coming in after I had a "chat" with him.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I worked at a small coffee roaster / coffee shop once. There was this guy who would bring in Starbucks coffee from down the street. He'd buy a newspaper from the newstand on the ohter side. Then sit down at our soda fountain counter and ready the newspaper and drink Starbucks. When we said "can I get you something?" He'd say, "No, thanks."

Man, the balls. He stopped coming in after I had a "chat" with him.

You were a coffee house bouncer?

"Sure be a shame if something happened to that venti non-fat latte, pal...."
Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The problem with the Taco Bell ad is that if you go to a steakhouse where they serve steaks that small, you're going to the wrong steakhouse.

And that's completely aside from the fact that the "steak" in Taco Bell's food is only technically "steak".
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
You were a coffee house bouncer?

"Sure be a shame if something happened to that venti non-fat latte, pal...."

lol

"You want to see all the settings on this grinder, buddy?"
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
We have done similar with the kids.

We actually belly laughed a few weeks ago while out of town, a Wendy's had a sign "No food from establishments other than Wendy's can be brought into this restaurant. Sorry for any inconvenience."

Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Meh. I'd get a water or just a soda if I couldn't afford to eat at the same restaurant with my friends. Then again, on the other side of things, I'd be congnizant of somebody's situation and either offer to loan them money, buy it for them, or choose to eat at the lowest common denominator.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Meh. I'd get a water or just a soda if I couldn't afford to eat at the same restaurant with my friends. Then again, on the other side of things, I'd be congnizant of somebody's situation and either offer to loan them money, buy it for them, or choose to eat at the lowest common denominator.

+1
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
Anthony
Banned

if someone can't afford to eat at a decent steakhouse in Vegas, i'm thinking maybe they shouldn't have gone to Vegas. what, did he play the penny slots too? this is what happens when you're too nice. if someone did that in my group of friends (which wouldn't happen anyway) we'd make fun of the person so much it wouldn't be worthwhile for that person to sit at the table. why should everyone else get embarassed or suffer by going to a cheaper place just cuz someone wants to nickle and dime it?

go all the way or go home, that's something i say often.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-02-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
if someone can't afford to eat at a decent steakhouse in Vegas, i'm thinking maybe they shouldn't have gone to Vegas. what, did he play the penny slots too? this is what happens when you're too nice. if someone did that in my group of friends (which wouldn't happen anyway) we'd make fun of the person so much it wouldn't be worthwhile for that person to sit at the table. why should everyone else get embarassed or suffer by going to a cheaper place just cuz someone wants to nickle and dime it?

go all the way or go home, that's something i say often.

Wouldn't you know your friend to be a cheapskate before you went on the trip? If it bothers you that much, couldn't you sit him down or call him before the trip and say "Buddy, I know you're cheap/poor, and I'm glad you're coming with us, but I'm not eating at In N Out every meal. If you have to sit and watch us eat steak, or do something else while the rest of us dine, then I don't want to see any puppy dog eyes from you.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #17
Anthony
Banned

we don't do anything differently in NYC that we wouldn't do in Vegas, so the cheapskates wouldn't go to Vegas. we all know how it is when we go out for a normal nite out so there aren't any surprises for something like Vegas. everyone is gonna order what they want and drink what they want and the bill is gonna be split down the middle. if you can't handle that then don't come. gambling - you can do as much or little as you want, that's your business. i just know i wouldn't have a prob kicking a guy off the table who came in with fast food to a steakhouse. it's so tacky that the money saved wouldn't be worth enough for the guy to put up with the harassment.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree with Anthony
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

Me too. Anything is better than the congealed fat n salt they foist off as food at McCrapps.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I agree with Anthony

+1 Except I have been known to pick up a friend's tab who I knew really couldn't afford it (i.e. teacher or social worker).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
everyone is gonna order what they want and drink what they want and the bill is gonna be split down the middle.
Everything is fine except for this part. I never split down the middle on a check. I don't drink alcohol for the most part and I would always end up on the short end of that stick and I have no interest in always picking up someone else's bar tab.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
Anthony
Banned

my friends and i don't know how to hang out with each other without alcohol playing even a minor role. we don't ever have to worry about "non-drinkers".
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Everything is fine except for this part. I never split down the middle on a check. I don't drink alcohol for the most part and I would always end up on the short end of that stick and I have no interest in always picking up someone else's bar tab.

Pretty much all my friends drink. I have one good friend who doesn't and he just throws in what he thinks is fair.

What I cant stand is people who pick through the tab and figure out what everyone owes. If you are all friends who really cares, it will all even out through time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
Anthony
Banned

my experience is you often wind up paying for more than what you ate/drank - so eat/drink as much as you want. that doesn't mean order the most expensive dish and drink the most expensive scotch in the place, but i don't set limits on myself when i dine out with friends. i've been burned in the past having to pay more than what i actually consumed to learn its not worth it to try to keep the tab low by moderating my consumption.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not a big fan of splitting bar tabs, but agree on splitting food tabs. Usually I don't eat the most expensive thing out there, but I don't mind kicking in more than my share. Especially to make sure the server gets taken care of properly.

Granted, if we're just drinking beers or something, then sure, split it in half.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #26
condors
College Starter

I used to think splitting bar/food tabs was ok but some people think its a green light to help themselves to "try" what you ordered. I may be weird but i was looking forward to eating what i ordered now you put your hand that may have been in your butt for all i know you sure didn't go wash your hand before you put it on my plate. The worst is desert I order a piece of pie and 4 forks come at my plate. This happens with several other couples although its all of my wife's "friends". I now let them know ahead of time there will be no food snatching if you want to try what i ordered let me know and i will give you some. If you come at my plate you will be stabbed in the eye.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote