Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

P90X Fitness Program

I have a nephew who is doing this and he said it is actually really good and can be pretty intense if done right. I am thinking of switching from my current 4-5 days a week in the gym lifting weights/stairclimber/versa climber workout routine to working at my home gym. I guess you just need dumbells and a pullup bar and some space like a small room or a basement.

Here is a link to the programs page for anyone interested:http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ode=P90XDOTCOM

A good unbiased review for anyone who cares:
http://shapingmyway.blogspot.com/200...0x-review.html

Last edited by Galaril : 10-28-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I do it presently. It works wonders. My buddy burnt me the DVD's so I've been doing it for a few months and I am hooked. Only 45 minutes to like an hour and a half a day (sometimes you have to do two workouts in a day), and the time flies.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty sure this has been talked about before around here. That or I am confusing FOFC with infomercials now....
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Not to knock something I haven't tried, but 45 minutes to 1.5 hours a day seems like a lot of working out. I'm thinking you could get in good shape with pretty much any exercise routine that you spent that much time on.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The thing I like best about it is the muscle confusion. The workouts vary so you ever are messing with the same muscles consecutive days in a row. The first week I did it though I could hardly move each day after. It'll kick your ass but in the first two weeks I lost something like 9 lbs.

I quit following their diet plan though becuase I didn't want to lose too much weight (I am 6'4". I was at like 225, I got down to 215) so I am right around 215-217 now while stll doing it, but I am definetly stronger then I have been since I played hockey.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Not to knock something I haven't tried, but 45 minutes to 1.5 hours a day seems like a lot of working out. I'm thinking you could get in good shape with pretty much any exercise routine that you spent that much time on.

Yeah I don't doubt it, but you do this in your own home so you're saving time just getting to the gym and all that. All you need are some free weights, and either some bands or a pull up bar. It's really easy. Even when I played hockey I never had a workout as good as this. I am literally drenched in sweat every time I finish.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just an FYI

You have to be in decent shape to do the P90X Program; I think there is a questionaire somewhere online that will tell you if you should get the P90X system.

If you are not in good enough shape, Beachbody has the Power 90 boot camp, which only incorporates a resistance band that is provided with the purchase of the videos.

And then if that's too much for you, Beachbody has the 10 MinuteTrainer which my family has and the kids love doing them (or at least they did until the Wii Fit made its way into the house).
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And while I am at it, the one thing I hated was the Yoga, which is like once a week (depending which version of p90x you do) because that does take well over an hour, but I finally bought into it and it is pretty awesome, I won't lie. I've gotten all my flexibility back.

I will caution you though that if you aren't in decent shape before starting this off it probably isn't for you. There is a pre-test (I think on the site) that is a good gague on if you can do it or not. I was in okay shape and it nearly killed me that first week but after that I was good to go.

Anyway if you have any questions let me know.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
And while I am at it, the one thing I hated was the Yoga, which is like once a week (depending which version of p90x you do) because that does take well over an hour, but I finally bought into it and it is pretty awesome, I won't lie. I've gotten all my flexibility back.

I will caution you though that if you aren't in decent shape before starting this off it probably isn't for you. There is a pre-test (I think on the site) that is a good gague on if you can do it or not. I was in okay shape and it nearly killed me that first week but after that I was good to go.

Anyway if you have any questions let me know.

Yeah, I saw the mention of a fitness test and tried it. I must say I knew I was in pretty good shape lifting about 3 hours a week and another 2-3 hours of cardio a week as well as eating pretty good but...I found the fitness test not to be much of a "test". So though I am 40 I am in good enough shape tpo gpo for this. As far as the working out at home I have some invest to do in preparation. After much a lot of research I am going to go pick up the the adjustable dumbell " PowerBlocks 5-50lb set. I currently lift for with higher reps at the gym with DB benchs of 50lbs and curls of 95lbs (ez-bar ) so I am hoping that 50lbs will be enough for now. I can expand the powerblocks up tpo 90lb though I don't see myself needing it. I am also of course going to get a bench and am wondering if it is useful to get a 3 way bench (incline-flat-decline) for this program or is it only flat bench exercises? Lastly, I am planning on getting mat for the yoga stuff and grabbing the pullup bar they sell on the P90X website for 45 dollars. I really want to get some kind free standing e.g nothing baolted into the ceiling or doorway apparti but they all seem to be pretty expense for that kind of pullup rack. Detox what do you use for pullups curious?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Wait until you hit your late 30s or 40. thye first time some 20 year college coed hottie at the gym calls you "Sir" you will be doing at least 11/2 hours a day
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Just an FYI

You have to be in decent shape to do the P90X Program; I think there is a questionaire somewhere online that will tell you if you should get the P90X system.

I think this really needs to be emphasized. Im in good shape and managed it, and Id say my buddy is in decent shape and he puked half way through the first workout. I think he had to stop during the second as well. This is a hardcore workout. However, it does work very well and I recommend it to anyone who really wants to get in great shape and has the dedication to keep up with it.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah, I saw the mention of a fitness test and tried it. I must say I knew I was in pretty good shape lifting about 3 hours a week and another 2-3 hours of cardio a week as well as eating pretty good but...I found the fitness test not to be much of a "test". So though I am 40 I am in good enough shape tpo gpo for this. As far as the working out at home I have some invest to do in preparation. After much a lot of research I am going to go pick up the the adjustable dumbell " PowerBlocks 5-50lb set. I currently lift for with higher reps at the gym with DB benchs of 50lbs and curls of 95lbs (ez-bar ) so I am hoping that 50lbs will be enough for now. I can expand the powerblocks up tpo 90lb though I don't see myself needing it. I am also of course going to get a bench and am wondering if it is useful to get a 3 way bench (incline-flat-decline) for this program or is it only flat bench exercises? Lastly, I am planning on getting mat for the yoga stuff and grabbing the pullup bar they sell on the P90X website for 45 dollars. I really want to get some kind free standing e.g nothing baolted into the ceiling or doorway apparti but they all seem to be pretty expense for that kind of pullup rack. Detox what do you use for pullups curious?

I use a resistance band wrapped around a pillar in my basement. It's a heavy duty one I found at Dunhams on sale for like 15 bucks a while ago.

Every exercise they display with the bands so you can conceviably do everything with a band if you want, but I use some 20 and 30 lbs freeweights for everything else.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
I think this really needs to be emphasized. Im in good shape and managed it, and Id say my buddy is in decent shape and he puked half way through the first workout. I think he had to stop during the second as well. This is a hardcore workout. However, it does work very well and I recommend it to anyone who really wants to get in great shape and has the dedication to keep up with it.

Yeah it can really suck at times but you're constantly moving so the time flies. At least for me anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah it can really suck at times but you're constantly moving so the time flies. At least for me anyway.

Some online comments are pretty negative about the nutrition plan being hard to follow/understand and that the program doesn't really help lose fat just increase power?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Oh I didnt mean to imply that time goes slow. I enjoyed it and I agree that it goes fast. I was suprised with it and think its an excellent workout. I have recommended it to several friends.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Some online comments are pretty negative about the nutrition plan being hard to follow/understand and that the program doesn't really help lose fat just increase power?

I did not follow any nutrition plan so I cant comment on that. IMO, just eat relatively healthy and you will be fine. As far as not losing fat, I honestly have no idea how that is possible. I was extremely toned and did lose fat when I was on it. How anyone who could not lose fat yet actually do the complete workout at 100% actually kinda blows my mind. I guess like any workout, you get out of it what you put in.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

P90X can bite me, I am going to get on the treadmill for 30 minutes.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Last question how are the "cardio workouts" I enjoy cardio and am wondering if they are an good? I will probably mix this program with a couple of runs and/or a cross-country ski/snowshoe sworkout each week but am still wondering.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Just an FYI

Here is the fit test I was thinking about. But here is a summary of their suggested minimum requirements:

Pull Ups: Should be able to do at least 3 if male, 1 if female
Vertical Leap: 5" if male, 3" if female
Push Ups: 15 if male, 3 if female
Toe Touch: within 6" of your toe
Wall Squat: at least 1 minute
Bicep Curls: 10 curls @ 20# if male, 10 curls @ 8# if female
In & Outs: at least 25

Last edited by Scarecrow : 10-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I've never done it, but my trainer says to be wary of it. Some of the exercises are very advanced and can cause serious damage to you if you do them wrong (which in some cases, is easy to do). The principles are sound, i.e. varying the exercises, working push/pull together, etc, but some of the exercises, and the suggested weights, can really cause people to get major injuries. His two cents, not mine.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I've never done it, but my trainer says to be wary of it. Some of the exercises are very advanced and can cause serious damage to you if you do them wrong (which in some cases, is easy to do). The principles are sound, i.e. varying the exercises, working push/pull together, etc, but some of the exercises, and the suggested weights, can really cause people to get major injuries. His two cents, not mine.

/tk

To be honest TK, we have to take the audience of your trainer into account...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The cardio is a mix of core syergistics, which is as you guessed, all core stuff, plyo and yoga.

I do the cardio workout but usually I run every day as well regardless. I only do about a mile though.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
To be honest TK, we have to take the audience of your trainer into account...

A fair point. But, he was actually answering a question about it for a friend of mine, a normal/able-bodied friend.

For me, it would never work. But I like the gym and spend at least an hour there most days, anyway, so I'm not P90X's target audience per se.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as the injury aspect, it is there, but every exercise they stress proper form so much it gets annoying. I now do it with just the cues because Tony Horton is the most annoying person ever.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The cardio is a mix of core syergistics, which is as you guessed, all core stuff, plyo and yoga.

I do the cardio workout but usually I run every day as well regardless. I only do about a mile though.

DeTox thanks for your responses it is very appreciated. I concerned now from your description of the cardio workout(s) that it is very good or intense enough. I have competed in triathalons and therefore want to program that has a decent cardio component? Would you say it is the cardio work is focused and challenging or do you think you really need the extra running you are doing to supplement this program? I would probably do the cardio work twice instead of once a weeek doign the P90 LEAN routine dropping a weight work for another cardio at elast first time through it.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
DeTox thanks for your responses it is very appreciated. I concerned now from your description of the cardio workout(s) that it is very good or intense enough. I have competed in triathalons and therefore want to program that has a decent cardio component? Would you say it is the cardio work is focused and challenging or do you think you really need the extra running you are doing to supplement this program? I would probably do the cardio work twice instead of once a weeek doign the P90 LEAN routine dropping a weight work for another cardio at elast first time through it.

Well the cardio is the shortest workout outside of the ab work, but it is intense. I just like to run so I don't feel totally useless, but if you've done triatholans it may not be intense enough. I prefer to do the plyo rather then the cardio, to be honest. I'll do the plyo twice a week sometimes. That is where I sweat my ass off.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well the cardio is the shortest workout outside of the ab work, but it is intense. I just like to run so I don't feel totally useless, but if you've done triatholans it may not be intense enough. I prefer to do the plyo rather then the cardio, to be honest. I'll do the plyo twice a week sometimes. That is where I sweat my ass off.

Is the cardio x 40 minutes long? I also in general like the Plyo and find it has alot of benefits a person and their joints can handle it
Old 10-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #28
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Is the cardio x 40 minutes long? I also in general like the Plyo and find it has alot of benefits a person and their joints can handle it

Ha yeah it is right around 40 minutes. It's all nonstop though.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh I forgot .. The Ken Po workout is awesome too. It's basically aerobics. I use that one a lot too.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh I forgot .. The Ken Po workout is awesome too. It's basically aerobics. I use that one a lot too.

Thanks. I forgot about that one. I think this is something I will try out and see if I can be faithful to the regime. I have a neighbor (navy seal)who is really big into crossfit and belongs to crossfit only gym (warehouse with pullup bars and benchs lol) that has been trying to recruit me into the Crossfit "culture". I did some research and tried it out but must say as a lifelong amateur athlete (20 plus years) I really have to agree with those who say that Crossfit is pretty rsiky. So, compared to crossfit P90X isn't very risky.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #31
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I borrowed a disc from my buddy which contains:

Swear Cardio 1-2
Sculpt Circuit 1-2
Ab Ripper 100

I do not have a workout calendar thing that came with it when he bought it...is this the ONLY disc you use? I'm sort of confused as I got it from a guy at work and we didn't talk about the details of it too much.

Is there a way to get a power 90 calendar someplace?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote