Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Wolverine Studios Announces DDS: Pro Basketball 2

From the Wolverine Studios forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
We're very happy to announce that fans of the DDS: PB series who have waited a long time for an update to their favorite game won't have to wait too much longer. DDS: Pro Basketball 2 is on the horizon.

You may ask, basketball? What happened to football? As I stated in my recent update thread we decided that it was best to delay DDS:Pro Football not only because of the timing with football season but because the transition to .NET took a serious amount of time for me and we're working from scratch so there were a great number of details to work through and make sure we work out right. I also talked about how in order to get more comfortable with .NET I began redoing the code work on DDSPB - in doing so I also began to make changes to the code to factor in community suggestions or my own ideas for where the series would go next. By converting the DDSPB code I was finally able to get a good handle on .NET and progress was being made on DDS:PF - but not enough where it would have been done anywhere near in time for this season or at least to be done in a state that would have made it a worthwhile game to compare with the leader in the football sim genre.

Fans of the DDS:PB series have been very patient - they've waited quite some time for an update to the game they came here for in the first place and since the code had been redone to be updated to .NET and the extended time frame we expect football to take we felt there was no reason to make those people wait until even after that point to get a new version of DDS:PB. I'm happy to report that the code is in good working order and most of all the new features I wanted to add are added - like I said, I was essentially developing the two games side by side so it has been a work in progress for some time now. That doesn't mean that I won't be adding more suggestions during the end of development and even during the FirstAccess stage though. I would suggest that if you do have something you want considered to get into the suggestions forum for DDS:PB2 right now. We did go through the suggestions forum from DDS:PB so hopefully the changes we will make will be of interest to everyone. We will announce the feature list sometime next week more than likely.

But for the people exclusively waiting on DDS:PF - don't worry. The work hasn't stopped there either. Tim and I are still working to develop the "logic" of the game in some parts and we will certainly continue on that work as I finish up the code work on the new DDS:PB2 game and then resume code work on DDS:PF. In the end the decision was that we had one new game pretty close to being done and one new game that needed a fair amount more time so rather than make everyone wait we're just switching the order we planned to release the games. I'm sure the fans of the DDS:PB series will be excited by this news and I hope that the fans waiting patiently on DDS:PF only will continue to participate in discussions with us to help us shape that game.

There's a suggestions forum up on the Wolverine Studios forums at:

DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Suggestions - Wolverine Studios

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Oh great. More things to throw my money at.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I played the first version of this and, although it was a little rough in spots (too many massacres in individual games but too much parity in the league standings), overall it was a lot of fun and an entertaining game-playing experience. I skipped the second one because, after hearing about a lot of crash issues, I tried the demo and it crashed almost immediately. It seems to me there was indeed a problem.

I am crossing my fingers for a clean new version because I have been jonesing for a good new NBA sim for awhile now, and I know Gary has the ability to deliver one. This is exciting news.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I have been jonesing for a good new NBA sim for awhile now, and I know Gary has the ability to deliver one. This is exciting news.

Oh you'll be getting more than a good NBA sim
Old 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

looking forward to the football game, Gary
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Oh you'll be getting more than a good NBA sim

If you throw in foreign leagues and the World Basketball Championships, you've sold it to me, bud.

BTW, you still need people on your game development groupie train?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
rjolley
College Starter

Nice to know, Gary. I've been on the fence on getting this. With a new version, I'll more than likely take the plunge and check it out.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
chadritt
High School Varsity

I was a fan of the first game but I have recently replaced my computer with a Macbook. The game requires a windows OS so how would people here recommend I play this game on my Mac?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
looking forward to the football game, Gary

From Gary's comments and updates I think it safe to say the football game won't be out until "sometime" next football season so like +12 months from now.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

looking forward to checking this out - seeing what types of improvements have been made...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
BTW, you still need people on your game development groupie train?

Yeah, always on the lookout for anyone who wants to be involved. As a matter of fact if there's anyone out there that loves roster building we could use the help in building and then play testing the roster file right now. If anyone has the time to do this (and it will take a fair amount of time to build and then repetitively test and tweak the roster file) and wants in just shoot me a PM or an email.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Gary posted some of the most frequently mentioned suggestions on the Wolverine Studios forum and whether or not they'll be included, so I'm reposting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
I decided to start a quick thread here that I will use to discuss some of the more commonly suggested items so that you a) don't have to re-suggest them and b) know they will or will not be included.

Three Team (or more) trades - NO - With all of the logic required to work around the salary rules its difficult enough to create AI trades between two teams. I think the trade logic is as strong as in any sports game period but trying to add a third team into the mix is just too difficult.

Relocation/Stadium Improvements/Anything else relating to non-salary financials - NO - In fact I have removed the stuff about ticket prices and promotions. They just don't play a role in the game - the purpose of the game is to simulate you running a basketball team, not running a business and there were not enough outside financial factors considered to make future monies and such make realistic sense so while of course salaries will be part of the game anything else financial has been removed.

Expansion - CONSIDERING - The game has the structure for different league sizes of course but what I don't know is what will happen if they are altered mid-league. I aim to find out though and if the league continues to function properly user-forced expansion can be added. Making an expansion draft happen itself isn't that difficult - its making sure there is no "fallout" from changing the league structure that becomes the issue.

DDSPB saves working - UNLIKELY - Previous save files themselves definitely will not work. The question is can the somehow be converted (outside of creating essentially your own import file). I will look into it but wouldn't bet on it.

Random schedules - CONSIDERING - Investigating this currently to make sure a realistic schedule can be generated since its not a simple 'play division x times, play non-conference y times' type deal

Track season and career stats for double-doubles/triple-doubles - CONFIRMED

Trades by AI and proposed to you during draft itself - CONFIRMED

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

The list going on in that thread only addresses some of the more frequently suggested changes - anything that's a large new feature won't be confirmed until next week
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Some big new features have just been announced! From the Wolverine Studios forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
We're happy to announce that DDS: Pro Basketball 2 will contain a number of highly anticipated new features. In addition to a large number of tweaks from both a depth and AI standpoint here is the list of major new additions to the game.

NEW DDS:PB2 goes global! Take on the challenge of running one of 72 European clubs complete with dual season play (domestic and cup) and interaction with the American professional leagues.
NEW League Expansion! Start a brand new franchise with a league expansion draft and begin the ultimate dynasty challenge
NEW Depth of player personalities and interactions. Can you find the right mix of talent and chemistry to win the big one?
NEW Expanded financial options like restricted free agency and player and team option clauses in contracts
NEW Simplified financial mode. Don't like all of the details of the real world salary model? Play with a hard cap option to make it easier
NEW Progressive injury healing. Player effectiveness will improve as injuries begin to wind down and heal
NEW Vastly expanded in-game media presence. New reports, magazines, news stories and more
NEW Player and team control options. Manage your teams in even greater detail.

And the further explanations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Feature Questions - RE : Global Leagues

- Global leagues can be turned off (you will still get foreign draftees unless you turn that option off too), run completely under AI control or you can take a team in them
- There will be 9 leagues of 8 teams each. I tried to break it down giving the better countries more teams - in most cases enough for an entire league of their own teams but some smaller countries only have one team and are grouped into a league with other countries. Of course anyone could edit the teams to be whatever they like in a roster mod (but you must keep the 9 league/8 team format)
- You play TWO seasons simultaneously in the European leagues. You have your domestic season where you play teams in your league twice and then have playoffs and you have the cup season where you play in "group play" and so forth as the teams do in Euroleague/Eurocup. There are two tournaments and you qualify for one or the other (or none) based on your domestic season the prior year. So if you win the playoffs of your domestic league, the following season you will play in the main cup tournament. If you do poorly you will move out of the main tournament into the secondary one next season or out of them all together.
- Teams have a prestige level and get a yearly spending budget based on that level of prestige. Your prestige will rise and fall over time based on which cup seasons you make and how you do in them as well as your domestic seasons (the entire system is very much like playing a DDSCB team except that rather than having the tourneys at the end of the season you play in them next year while the league season goes on)
- Players will be able to crossover from the Euroleagues to the NBA via the draft and NBA free agents will be able to sign with European teams.

Feature Questions - RE: League Expansion

- MOST leagues in the game will be expandable. You will not be able to run expansion from 12 or 16 team leagues or once you reach 32 teams.
- Expansion will automatically determine the size of the expansion based on the league you are expanding from. For example if you run a 29 team league and expand you will move to 30 teams
- When you expand you will be given both the "correct" expansion teams as well as have the league realigned to match what was the alignment of the NBA at the time. You can change the information and such for the expansion team to call it whatever you want but cannot change the league alignment nor have anything outside of the way the alignment is structured for those teams. So again, when you move to the 30 team league from the 29 you will move to the six division format instead of the four.
- The expansion is completely user driven and is only available to be done on one day during the season from the commissioner's office
- When you begin expansion you will have to complete the entire process of team setup and expansion draft in one setting without anything else in between. You will also be able to leave your team to take over the expansion team (or just take over the expansion team if you were fired)
- There is an expansion draft (the number of rounds varies based on league size). The draft does feature the ability to draft players to either keep for your roster or draft them to immediately cut and release into free agency. It also offers the ability for teams to offer draft pick compensation for selecing a certain one of their players and rules about how many players you can protect as well as only one being able to be selected per team.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
rjolley
College Starter

Is there multiplayer in DDS: PB? I can't remember and didn't see the answer on a quick look on the Wolverine site.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Is there multiplayer in DDS: PB? I can't remember and didn't see the answer on a quick look on the Wolverine site.

Yes.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Perhaps I've just missed it, but has there been any talk of when the game will actually be released? Trying to figure if it's worth purchasing the original to tide me over.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Perhaps I've just missed it, but has there been any talk of when the game will actually be released? Trying to figure if it's worth purchasing the original to tide me over.

There's no release date set at this time, no.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

As to if it's worth it to purchase the original to tide you over, that's something only you can answer. Me, I'd probably wait until the new version comes out, but that's just a personal preference.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

If this franchise ever gets a solid interface, it might be fun to play.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

European leagues makes this a must-buy for me. I've been vocal about wanting this in a pro basketball league for some time now. Yay!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #22
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Good for the basketball fans, bad for the football fans as DDS Pro Football will have to wait until this is done.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Good for the basketball fans, bad for the football fans as DDS Pro Football will have to wait until this is done.

HAHA.. my thoughts exactly!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
If this franchise ever gets a solid interface, it might be fun to play.

Please define "solid interface", i'm interested on everybody's opinion, good or bad. There are not going to be big changes in the style but some suggestions could get in.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #25
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Please define "solid interface", i'm interested on everybody's opinion, good or bad. There are not going to be big changes in the style but some suggestions could get in.

I think the biggest interface problem with Wolverine games is the number of clicks it takes to complete an action. I think one of the keys to any good interface is for the designer to ask, is this screen necessary? If two or three screens could be combined into one, that is almost always better. The college basketball game really has this problem with recruiting and week to week activities. I think another thing is universalizing the interface. For example, the "advance" button should always advance. You shouldn't need to advance via email during certain off-season tasks. In general, the email interface is highly inefficient and of questionable utility. However, the biggest problem is you need to go to so many different screens just to obtain all the information you might want. Another issue that compounds the above problems is the slight lag in clicking created by the graphical interface.

Unlike some of the graphical-interface critics here, I'm no fan of the FOF interface either. It suffers from some of the clicking problems as well. To me, the best text-sim interface continues to be Baseball Mogul (which allows that game with all of its warts to be better than it otherwise would be). I think if more designers followed Clay's KISS perspective on interface design, the better the games would be.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope they help.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

As an example, look at the player card screen. The tiny player window does a terrible job of presenting information. Multiple tabs require clicks at the bottom to view scouting or stats, etc. Now that could be somewhat excusable if the player card were that small because the player needs to see behind it, but this is just a frustrating setup. Make the player card big enough to show all (or at least a lot more of) the information at once and eliminate most of or all those tabs.

Keyboard shortcuts are obligatory. A solid interface has them everywhere.

My overall impression of this demo's interface is that it is cluttered and not very user-friendly. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but I hope these comments help.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #27
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
The college basketball game really has this problem with recruiting and week to week activities. I think another thing is universalizing the interface. For example, the "advance" button should always advance. You shouldn't need to advance via email during certain off-season tasks.

Well Im not sure if you're familiar with the interface changes we did in college basketball but we added much more functionality to the recruiting interface through the keyboard as well as combined more information on to that screen so we do look for these types of opportunities or take advantage of feedback given in this area.

Also the times email is used to advance during the off-season is because wer'e giving the user a choice of something to do. I suppose rather than opening the email and making your choice we could have you click the advance button and then make your choice from the popup but either way its the same amount of clicks. One example is with the rookies. Each season you're given a choice to have the game generate rookies or let you import your own rookie file - same with scheduling. You can use a default one or import your own. We could automate those (ie force you to go to a screen to change a pre-set instruction for doing these things) but I would worry people would forget to have their file ready or whatever. How do you think we can improve that kind of scenario for everyone (not just people who don't care about importing things)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Will the game be compatable with FBCB so rookies can be imported as the draft class?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No, it will continue to be compatible for DDSCB for that purpose.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote