Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The beginning of the end of TSoF

Bye bye Nolan, bye bye Suit of Failure*
Quote:
Barring a dramatic change of course, the San Francisco 49ers plan to fire head coach Mike Nolan after the team's game against Seattle on Sunday, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith on Monday.

[+] EnlargeRichard Allan/Icon SMI

The 49ers haven't made the playoffs in Mike Nolan's first three seasons.

Next week is the 49ers' bye week. Nolan is expected to be replaced by assistant head coach Mike Singletary. When reached by ESPN, a 49ers spokesman said: "We don't respond to speculation. We are focused on Seattle."

Nolan, 49, is in his fourth season with the Niners, posting an 18-37 record. San Francisco is 2-5 this season and has lost four in a row. The 49ers are 23rd in both offense and defense in the league.

The 49ers have had five straight losing seasons and are 4-12, 7-9 and 5-11 in three full seasons under Nolan, who was retained after last season, which saw Scot McCloughan, their top personnel executive, formally annointed as general manager with a contract extension and a raise.

Nolan previously had the final say on all football decisions. He and McCloughan have made joint decisions on personnel issues, but McCloughan has had the final say.

"I will remain the one voice in this organization, and the face," Nolan said at the conclusion of the 2007 season. "I don't believe it will change at all. The important thing is that we will maintain the relationship."

Entering this season, Nolan had two years remaining on a five-year, $8 million deal.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It'll be good to see what Singletary can do.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm suprised singletary hasn't gotten a hc gig yet. Maybe I'm naïve to think there isn't a glass ceiling anymore. He certainly has the credentials one wants in a head coach. He may interview poorly?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm kinda sad to see the 2nd Nolan era, but it had to be done. I was so pumped when he was originally hired, especially with his father's connection to 49er's history. Also, he was an underrated coordinator who got perhaps too little credit for that great Raven's defense of the early decade.

Unfortunately, Nolan proved to be one of those "coordinators who should never become head coaches." He made questionable decisions in free agency and in the draft. His public dispute with Alex Smith proved that he did not have the right temprament to be the voice of a franchise.

Fortunately, he did give us Patrick Willis, who is my favorite current 49er. However, it could be argued that his development likely can be attributed more to Mike Singletary and less to Nolan.

I still think that Nolan would be a fine defensive coordinator for another team, and I hope Singletary is the real deal.

Looks like the 49er rebuilding project will be set back at least another five years.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

Weird season. It's very rare for a coach to be fired mid season in the NFL, and this now makes 3.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote