Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Can someone recommend some science fiction books to me...

I've read just a little science fiction and I know this is a genre that I should like but I worry I just can't end up picking the right type of science fiction for me. I'm hopeful someone might be able to send me to something I would like. Here are some guidelines...

1. I don't want gunslingers flying around space in their ships, bouncing from planet to planet, etc. in some massive crazy adventure.

2. I want the heart of the novel to be ideas and not plot.

3. I want it based more in "real" science as opposed to made up weapons, tools, etc. I'd like some basis in reality.

4. I'd like to have as few made up crazy words that name something as possible.

5. No fantasy type stuff....if magic is involved in any way, I'm out.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

rowech - although I'm not familiar with all of the works mentioned as representative samples (a little less than half I'd guess), you might find some of the things referenced here either good reads or pointers toward other similar works you'd enjoy.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's stuff? In particular, Cryptonomicon, The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World), or his newest tome, Anathem (note I haven't finished Anathem yet so I can't say if it violates any of your requests)? I can't think of too many books that meet your requirements, as many that I've read violate at least one of those rules. You may also join the Ning group "The Sword and Laser" and ask that question there...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's stuff? In particular, Cryptonomicon, The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World), or his newest tome, Anathem (note I haven't finished Anathem yet so I can't say if it violates any of your requests)? I can't think of too many books that meet your requirements, as many that I've read violate at least one of those rules. You may also join the Ning group "The Sword and Laser" and ask that question there...

/tk

Thanks guys. I've read Stephenson's Crytpo, liked it. I tried to read Quicksilver three times as it is a book I should like but couldn't. I have about 250 pages left of Anathem which has been a good read but I've just been bogged down by his made-up language. Had he done less of that, I would say it's a fantastic book. As-is, probably just good.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

"Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling is quite an interesting book - I don't know whether it'd be truly rated as 'science fiction' or 'fantasy' really.

Its an alternative future style book, the idea is intruiging imho - what would happen to society if all of a suddenly the laws of physics changed so anything involving electricity or combustion failed to operate.

Like many alternative history style books the writing isn't 'perfect' - but its readable enough and any lacking in that area is more than made up for with the storylines and ideas imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd recommend the Hope series by David Feintuch. Unfortunately, he died so there are no more books (really only the first few are decent). The series is sort of like Star Trek mixed with 2001.

Amazon.com: Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga): David Feintuch: Books
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
chesapeake
College Starter

My recommendation would be Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It is about a hypothetical effort to colonize Mars during this century. I enjoyed it a lot.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Any of the "hard science" type of books might be what you're looking for - the Mars series that Chesapeake mentioned is a good one. I'd also recommend Alistair Reynolds series Revelation Space - it takes a bit of getting used to, but is very "big science" and is really neat (plus he worked for the European version of NASA for a long time.) I'd also recommend most of Bruce Sterling's books - he focuses on "near future" ideas, basically extrapolating the future from things that are happening now - very neat stuff.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've read just a little science fiction and I know this is a genre that I should like but I worry I just can't end up picking the right type of science fiction for me. I'm hopeful someone might be able to send me to something I would like. Here are some guidelines...

1. I don't want gunslingers flying around space in their ships, bouncing from planet to planet, etc. in some massive crazy adventure.

2. I want the heart of the novel to be ideas and not plot.

3. I want it based more in "real" science as opposed to made up weapons, tools, etc. I'd like some basis in reality.

4. I'd like to have as few made up crazy words that name something as possible.

5. No fantasy type stuff....if magic is involved in any way, I'm out.

Dan Simmons. Start with Hyperion. If you like that, keep going!
Jack McDevitt as well. Wonderful stuff.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Any of the "hard science" type of books might be what you're looking for - the Mars series that Chesapeake mentioned is a good one. I'd also recommend Alistair Reynolds series Revelation Space - it takes a bit of getting used to, but is very "big science" and is really neat (plus he worked for the European version of NASA for a long time.) I'd also recommend most of Bruce Sterling's books - he focuses on "near future" ideas, basically extrapolating the future from things that are happening now - very neat stuff.

I've thought about reading the Reynolds guy.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

John Ringo has a physicist working with him on the "Into the Looking Glass" series in an effort to put the "science" back in science fiction.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
billethius
Mascot

I'll echo the recommendation of Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series. It's my first foray into the hard sci-fi realm as well. I'm about half way through it myself and really enjoying it.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
My recommendation would be Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It is about a hypothetical effort to colonize Mars during this century. I enjoyed it a lot.

I'll third this one. Fantastic 3 book series, lots of plausible ideas, lots of hard science, easy to follow plot (in my opinion). I loved it.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Scarecrow
College Prospect

"From the Hands of Hostile Gods" by Darren R Hawkins (aka Drake)