Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Polamalu says NFL's fines for hits more about money, not player safety

ESPN - Polamalu says NFL's fines for hits more about money, not player safety - NFL

Quote:
ESPN.com news services

Troy Polamalu is usually soft-spoken off the field, hard-hitting on it. The recent rash of fines leveled at his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates has caused him to take a shot at the NFL, however.

The Steelers safety suggested Wednesday that the NFL is leveling fines for hits more for its own interest than that of the players.

"I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch," Polamalu said. "We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called Polamalu's comments "very disappointing'' on "Sportsline with Steve Davis" on WBAL 1090 in Baltimore.

The Steelers have asked the NFL to clarify why Hines Ward, one of the league's best blocking wide receivers, was fined $15,000 the past two games for unnecessary roughness despite not being penalized.

Ward was fined $10,000 following the Steelers' 26-21 win at Jacksonville on Oct. 5, a week after drawing a $5,000 fine for a play in which he stepped over Baltimore cornerback Corey Ivy on Sept. 29. Ward did not draw a penalty on either play.

Also following the Jacksonville game, Steelers linebacker James Harrison was fined $20,000 for criticizing referee Brian Winter for calling a roughing-the-passer penalty against him. Two other Steelers also drew fines for that game, safety Ryan Clark $7,500 for unnecessary roughness -- a late hit -- and wide receiver Nate Washington $7,500 for taunting. Among the four players, the one-game fines totaled $45,000.

"It's starting to cost too much money to come to work for these guys," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Tomlin said he planned to call the NFL office about the Ward fines, and team chairman Dan Rooney wrote a letter questioning why Ward was fined.

"We want to be a team and he [Ward] wants to be a player who plays the game the way it's supposed to be played, the way our league wants it to be played," Tomlin said. "We respect that. But we need a little clarity in that situation."

Polamalu said that football's essence is being taken away with the NFL's heavy-handed penalties, saying football "just loses so much of its essence when it becomes like a pansy game."

Polamalu said that past NFL greats wouldn't be able to play the way that made them great in today's game.

"When you see guys like Dick Butkus, the Ronnie Lotts, the Jack Tatums, these guys really went after people," Polamalu told reporters. "Now, they couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money. They'd be paying fines all the time and they'd be suspended for a year after they do it two games in a row. It's kind of ridiculous."

However, Polamalu made it clear he doesn't defend players who take cheap shots.

"I didn't mean being cheap, but [those who] don't take anything from anybody," Polamalu said. "Know what I mean? Joe Greene wouldn't take anything from anybody. Joey Porter wouldn't. When people came to our field, they knew this was our home field. Nobody was going to mess with us. ... That's the type of attitude I think is really awesome."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
flounder
High School Varsity

He has a point about the way past NFL greats played. However, when you look at the rash of spinal injuries at every level of football you have to think that players are getting too big and fast to keep playing that way.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can't imagine the money the league makes in fines would represent more then a drop in the bucket of revenue for the league
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"It's starting to cost too much money to come to work for these guys," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

I'm really not one to complain about what player's make since there's nobody holding a gun to the team's head in most cases but ...

2008 Salaries - NFL - SI.com
Hines Ward fined 15,000 of his 6,705,760 salary (cap number).
That's 0.2% of his annual salary.

For perspective, looks like the average salary of a male in the U.S. in '07 was $45,113, so the equivalent fine would have been $100.91, less than a lot of speeding tickets.

The largest fine, Harrison's $20k, was 1.28% of his cap figure. That's about $581.96 to you & me.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Eric Smith from the Jets makes 445k and was fined 50k for his hit on Boldin, a play that wasn't dirty in the slightest and ended up with Smith also receiving a concuission.

Ward was fined for something that wasn't even called during the game in which it occurred.

It's just more micromanagement from authoritarian Goodell.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can't imagine the money the league makes in fines would represent more then a drop in the bucket of revenue for the league

Without trying to guess what this particular player meant, I think the real "money" issue is the league worrying about their glamor players getting injured and hurting the public affection for the product on the field. I agree it's not really about the ten grand in fines here or there, but if two or three Tom Brady injuries happen every year, eventually people could lose some degree of interest -- and that's the real money issue for the NFL.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Agreed with QS, as usual. Reading Polamalu's quote again, when he says "money" I don't really think he's talking about the fines themselves, but about the NFL being more interested in keeping bad things from happening on the football field than anything else.

It's not just the injuries to high-profile players, but the high-profile injuries (i.e. serious injuries) that happen. If the NFL is continuing to try and broaden its viewship out of "traditional" football fans, there's a large chunk of viewership that'll be turned off by the tougher side of the game.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hines Ward has been fined 2 times this year for "rough plays." No flags on either one. He may be one of the dirtiest players I've ever enjoyed watching, but if it wasn't a flag on the field, retroactively fining someone is bad precident. Especially if the player wasn't seriously injured.

Anyways, if they're going to fine Ward, they still need to review some cheapass hit that fat fuck Rogers put on Ben on week two.

Last edited by stevew : 10-17-2008 at 09:22 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The obvious misstatement by Polamalu should be pointed out. The NFL doesn't see a single dime of those fines. 100% of all fines go to a charitable organization, usually designated by the player paying the fine. It's certainly not a revenue-producing fine for the NFL front office or its owners.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What Goodell should do is give the money from the fines to the players who don't make as much...essentially "spreading the wealth" around the league.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 10-17-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What Goodell should do is give the money from the fines to the players who don't make as much...essentially "spreading the wealth" around the league.

Or give the money to the poor sap that got nailed.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The obvious misstatement by Polamalu should be pointed out. The NFL doesn't see a single dime of those fines. 100% of all fines go to a charitable organization, usually designated by the player paying the fine. It's certainly not a revenue-producing fine for the NFL front office or its owners.

Do the fines go through the league office or straight to the charity? If the fines are tax deductible charitable donations it makes it even less of a hardship.

However, I agree that Polamalu was talking about marquee players. The NFL is primarily entertainment and keeping your most marketable assets healthy is just good business. The related industries of fantasy football and gambling also prefer that star players remain on the field.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Do the fines go through the league office or straight to the charity? If the fines are tax deductible charitable donations it makes it even less of a hardship.

I don't have a source, but I'm pretty sure they are deductable. I think that the labor agreements have had that stipulation for some time.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

It would turn into a Euro Basketball flop fest.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

FYI my comment was tongue in cheek. I wasn't actually serious.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that fines should be a percentage of player salary (base and bonus) and not a flat figure. Like someone above pointed out, a 50k fine on a guy making minsal differs from a 50k fine on Ray Lewis.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that fines should be a percentage of player salary (base and bonus) and not a flat figure. Like someone above pointed out, a 50k fine on a guy making minsal differs from a 50k fine on Ray Lewis.

It should also be noted that other veterans often chip in to help the lower-paid guys out if they are fined and it's a substantial amount. I'm not sure you want to institute a percentage fine as it could lead to veterans telling a rookie to take a cheap shot and then the veterans paying off that fine rather than doing it themselves at a higher price.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It should also be noted that other veterans often chip in to help the lower-paid guys out if they are fined and it's a substantial amount. I'm not sure you want to institute a percentage fine as it could lead to veterans telling a rookie to take a cheap shot and then the veterans paying off that fine rather than doing it themselves at a higher price.

Good point.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I wish Broncos fans could fine the Denver defense for being unable to tackle anybody. Dre Bly should pay me at least $500 for having to deal with this shit.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
RedKingGold
College Starter

According to the CBA, the fine money goes to the Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund, the Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Research Center, ALS Neuromuscular Research Foundation, and/or the NFLPA Players Assistance Trust.

Interestingly, the parties "agree" to where the fine money will be allocated. Only in the absence of such an agreement is the fine money allocated equally to all of the above four organizations.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-17-2008 at 11:13 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Dre Bly should pay me at least $500 for having to deal with this shit.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Dre Bly Experience. The George Foster Experience has been equally entertaining. He's been benched 5 times since he joined the team and has like 76 false start penalties. It's been awesome!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying the Dre Bly Experience. The George Foster Experience has been equally entertaining. He's been benched 5 times since he joined the team and has like 76 false start penalties. It's been awesome!

But distance makes the heart grow fonder! George Foster was not only benched, he was cut. Still the Lions found his child like innocence too much to stay away from, and they resigned him! Happy days.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
But distance makes the heart grow fonder! George Foster was not only benched, he was cut. Still the Lions found his child like innocence too much to stay away from, and they resigned him! Happy days.

He was sort of like Tatum Bell in that way, until Tatum went all baggage thief on us. It must be something about those lovable lugs from Denver. Olandis Gary, Lions Nation turns its lonely eyes to you...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote