Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The thread of the 2008-2009 NBA Season

So, it should be very interesting going into this year. I believe I've finally recovered from my 3 month depression after the Cavs playoff debacle.

We've got that OKC Thunder thing. Philly should be legit, at least on paper. Brand should be back, I'm interested to see how it plays out. We may finally get a verdict on the Jason Kidd/Shaq moves. Miami should be interesting to watch as well. I think their #1 pick this year is going to be Beastley And finally, the Bulls weren't as bad as they pretended to be last year. And they got Derrick Rose? Unfair.

Yeah, there's some West Coast teams I'm sure people will be interested in. Just not me.

Anyways, it's all King James' world, we just live in it.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Go Lakers!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Green 18!!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

The Rockets with Artest are going to be awesome...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
LloydLungs
College Prospect

My Hornets looking good in preseason...

Oh man, I think I'm regretting this post already.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And finally, the Bulls weren't as bad as they pretended to be last year. And they got Derrick Rose? Unfair.

However, (and yes, I know it's early in the preseason), they look like a disorganized mess who has forgotten how to play defense, with a completely green head coach.

Which they are. And which they are.

Their strength was their team-first/play hard 100% of the time attitude. Egos came out last year, and my guess is they haven't gone away.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Go Thunder! (In our quest for the #1 pick)

Last edited by vex : 10-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
RedKingGold
College Starter

Admittedly, I've been more of a casual NBA fan, only really paying attention during the playoffs.

However, with Elton Brand's signing in Philly, I'll probably be taking more of an interest and may try to get to a game or two.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Hopefully my Orlando Magic will improve upon last season's 50-win season. Maybe they can make it to the conference finals this year.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

I may catch a Hawks game or two, especially when the Bulls come into town. We took the kids to a game last year and everyone enjoyed it a lot.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that Brand will regret going from a team where he was one of the best players in history to a team where the fans will boo him at the first sign of weakness/trouble.

He had it good with the Clips.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nets are a young team that will have alot of ups and downs but Harris is a stud and really its all about holding the fort until LeBron rolls into town.

I think Lopez falling in the draft and Boone developing we should have a solid front court. If only they could rid themselves of Carter, or at least have him stay healthy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Hah, I saw that video earlier. Poor Harris got hustled.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's all about Green 18, as Sublime mentioned earlier. Least one of our teams needs to bring something this year.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ah, basketball season is upon us. Tis a time when I can unite with the Boston fans that I so detest when it comes to football.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Ah, basketball season is upon us. Tis a time when I can unite with the Boston fans that I so detest when it comes to football.

Welcome.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Go Lakers
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Go Clippers. Mark it down. We'll be a lot better than people expect.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Go Clippers. Mark it down. We'll be a lot better than people expect.

I expect somewhere around 32 wins.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I expect somewhere around 32 wins.

We'll beat that. We'll be in the group contending for the final three or so spots in the West, clearly behind the Lakers, Spurs and Hornets, and probably the Rockets and Jazz. It will be us, the Suns, the Mavs and the Blazers looking at the last three spots, with the Warriors maybe making a run if they can hold out until Ellis gets healthy. Since the East still mostly sucks, we'll be above .500, probably between 45-50 wins (and still might not be enough to get in).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so what you're saying is that my prediction of 40% more wins than last year is conservative. Injuries troubles from last year aside, I strongly doubt the clippers can add 100% more wins than the previous year.

I just don't see it. I suppose if B-diddy and Kaman stay healthy, then maybe somewhere between our predictions would be more likely.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #22
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

In case no one noticed...

Go Lakers!

<--- Jack Nicholson
Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, so what you're saying is that my prediction of 40% more wins than last year is conservative. Injuries troubles from last year aside, I strongly doubt the clippers can add 100% more wins than the previous year.

I just don't see it. I suppose if B-diddy and Kaman stay healthy, then maybe somewhere between our predictions would be more likely.

Last year was done almost completely without Brand, so losing him isn't really like having to replace him, so much as it is starting from base level of last year's team.

Obviously, injuries can affect things. I am throwing out the possibility that Davis and Kaman will miss something along the lines of the entire year to injury. We can't make predictions like that, and if they happen, obviously, all of our predictions are thrown out the window. What would your prediction for Cleveland be without King James, for instance? I am assessing this on the talent that's on these teams right now and assuming at least moderate health, because, really, I can't assume anything else.

Here's what you have. Last year's team has lost Maggette (a mixed bag) and at best a bunch of role player types (Quentin Ross, Cassell, Brevin Knight, etc.). To that, they have added Camby, Eric Gordon, Ricky Davis, Jason Hart, Steve Novak, and Davis. Outside of Davis, none of those guys are stars, but they are all "players" or expected to be (Gordon). Thornton, an all-NBA Rookie 1st teamer, will be one year better and able to play his logical position as a starter, SF. Kaman won't have to go it alone. We still have Mobley and Thomas, which isn't saying much, but those are still two more players where you know what you're going to get. And if you don't know about Mike Taylor, look him up. He will make an impact this year backing up Davis. Heck, even DeAndre Jordan has looked good so far.

You watch, it will end up being a 100% improvement if the team gets at least 65 games each from Davis and Kaman and Thornton and Camby. Davis is the only real risk there, based on his history.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #24
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Lets go Raptors. If JO can stay healthy, and that is a big IF, they should be solid this year. With Calderon taking full control of the PG position and some help for Bosh down low they could do some damage.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Fantasy question:

Should I keep DeShawn Stevenson or pick up Eric Gordon?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Obviously, injuries can affect things. I am throwing out the possibility that Davis and Kaman will miss something along the lines of the entire year to injury. We can't make predictions like that, and if they happen, obviously, all of our predictions are thrown out the window.

Ha, I'm a W's fan and I can predict Davis' injury.

Surely you don't think it's a mere coincidence that he just happened to play in all 82 games for the first the year before he opted out, do you?

I loved Boom Dizzle, he was great for the Dubs franchise, but realistically, he's not nearly as good as he or others think he is. StackJack and Ellis (and Nelson/Biedrins) got the W's over the hump 2 seasons back, not really Baron Davis. We managed to suck just fine with him before the others arrived.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

As far the W's themselves, could be a tough year. No Ellis for a huge chunk and a roster in flux.

As long as Wright shows improvement, Randolph holds his own and we're in the mix for the playoffs most of the year, I'll be happy. 40 wins would be nice.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

You'll find Camby to be wretched. Even when he's not hurt, he'll play that way a lot of the time. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but he's the single most selfish defensive player I've ever seen.

If there isn't a block or rebound in it for him, he's just not that interested. Do you want Camby or Shaq as a pick and roll defender? A: Neither. Both can't or won't defend the play. He does throw one hell of an alley oop pass and can dominate when he's interested. He's just not interested that often.

I firmly believe the Nuggets will be a better team without Marcus Camby. (I said so many times last year before this went down)

If Davis, Kaman and Camby end up playing 65 games, maybe they will get to the playoffs. Of course, I'll die of shock as well, so there is that.

Nuggets will go as far as Melo and JR can take them. AI desperately needs to go before they can really move up a level. Do you guys want him after Baron goes down? I'll give you the same deal as the Camby one?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #29
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think the Bulls will win less than 40 games this year. They are such a mismatched team. John Paxson is a pretty bad GM. Look at his drafts and big money contract extensions to average players to see what I mean. Why did Heinrich and Deng deserve all of that money? And Ben Gordon has already turned down $50mil/5 years. How much does he think that he's worth as he can't defend anyone nor can he handle the rock? He figures that Pax is stupid and will sign him for more $$ just like he did with Deng.

And I don't believe that Derrick Rose will be another Chris Paul.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What does "Green 18" mean? It obviously has something to do with the Celtics, but I'm confused otherwise.

The Grizzlies will suck again, so when they're playing, I'll pretty much just cut myself and then watch a hockey game.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What would your prediction for Cleveland be without King James, for instance?

20-62, and they play in a weak conference. The Clips play out west(obviously) and face better teams.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #32
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What does "Green 18" mean? It obviously has something to do with the Celtics, but I'm confused otherwise.

Celtics gunning for their 18th title
Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Fantasy question:

Should I keep DeShawn Stevenson or pick up Eric Gordon?

I'd take Gordon. His shooting is looking streaky as hell, but with the Clips lack of firepower he'll have his 30 point nights.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
As far the W's themselves, could be a tough year. No Ellis for a huge chunk and a roster in flux.

As long as Wright shows improvement, Randolph holds his own and we're in the mix for the playoffs most of the year, I'll be happy. 40 wins would be nice.

I was watching the Bucks-Warriors preseason game the other day and, despite being arguably the worst game of basketball I've ever seen, Randolph had some amazing blocks in the first quarter. Yowzers. One started a fast break, and another was just plain humiliating. I think Wright will be the more productive one ths year scoring wise, but Randolph's big play potential will get him minutes.

Maggette is the one I'd worry about if I were a Warriors fan. He gets to the line a lot, but I think the Warriors' "shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy is going to hurt his game. The amount of bad jumpers he took in this game was alarming. Hopefully for Warriors fans he was just getting them out of his system in the preseason.

Also, if Biedrins doesn't get about 15-12 this year, he's being critically under-used. Kid has some serious talent. Put him on a less perimeter-based roster and I think he'd be a monster.

Last edited by Groundhog : 10-23-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #35
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'd take Gordon. His shooting is looking streaky as hell, but with the Clips lack of firepower he'll have his 30 point nights.

One more

Wilson Chandler or Rudy Fernandez?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #36
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
One more

Wilson Chandler or Rudy Fernandez?

Well, going off preseason, I'd take Chandler. Chandler could wind up with some very nice numbers this year if he gets the minutes, and while I think Fernandez will have a pretty good year, I don't know if the minutes are there for him to be able to put up big numbers. Chandler might be playing starter minutes.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll admit, I am looking at the Clips through biased eyeware. But I do think they will be better than stevew suggests, and that they will contend for the playoffs. There will be a sharp division between the top teams and the mediocre teams, and the Clips will be distantly behind the top teams (Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Rockets and Jazz to a less extent, but still distant). I truly believe they can stick around right with/slightly behind the Suns and Mavs, though, and will contend with the Blazers for the final spot (Warriors and Nuggets in the mix slightly back as well).

It will take some health, and you're all right, that that is the biggest question mark. If they stay healthy, I think the Clips have the sixth best roster, top to bottom, in the Western conference, even if they don't have any individual players at the level of Amare Stoudamire or Dirk Nowitzki.

As for Camby, yes, Troy, I know you don't like him, and I'm not saying you're not right. But he will contribute to this team if he's healthy, and while he may not play as well as you think he should, I think he will still make a difference for us here. Especially finally playing with some actual help underneath, which, really, he never actually had in Denver.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #38
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Houston's comback with Knicks over

Houston comeback over, Knicks' roster at 16 - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
The Rockets with Artest are going to be awesome...

Yay! We're relying on 2 injury-prone guys and a crazy one! Kindof reminds me of the Hakeem + Clyde + Chuck season

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

We have enough depth that if one or two of them get injured, we'll be fine.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #41
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll admit, I am looking at the Clips through biased eyeware. But I do think they will be better than stevew suggests, and that they will contend for the playoffs. There will be a sharp division between the top teams and the mediocre teams, and the Clips will be distantly behind the top teams (Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Rockets and Jazz to a less extent, but still distant). I truly believe they can stick around right with/slightly behind the Suns and Mavs, though, and will contend with the Blazers for the final spot (Warriors and Nuggets in the mix slightly back as well).

It will take some health, and you're all right, that that is the biggest question mark. If they stay healthy, I think the Clips have the sixth best roster, top to bottom, in the Western conference, even if they don't have any individual players at the level of Amare Stoudamire or Dirk Nowitzki.

As for Camby, yes, Troy, I know you don't like him, and I'm not saying you're not right. But he will contribute to this team if he's healthy, and while he may not play as well as you think he should, I think he will still make a difference for us here. Especially finally playing with some actual help underneath, which, really, he never actually had in Denver.

Camby would actually fight our guys for rebounds. A big reason he didn't have any help is because of how he'd elbow guys out of the way for the ball. People think I'm crazy, but I'm going to tell you Denver's D and rebounding will be improved with him off the court this year.

That said, of course he'll help the Clippers. With a decent defending big man in Kaman, he'll be able to dive around a lot more. The problem is how long it'll be before Kaman is out with a broken nose from a Camby elbow.

All kidding aside, the health is where your off base here. It's only preseason and already both Baron and Camby are fighting injuries. (Camby needs a cortozone shot for a badly bruised heel and Davis has a finger injury) You can say "both aren't serious, they'll be back for the opener", but is it really a good sign that two injury prone players are already fighting the injury bug before the start of the season?

The other issue is that those three guys are the key guys on the team. It isn't going to take two of the three to suffer major injuries for the Clippers to struggle. I Kaman or Camby miss time, who comes in? Thomas? Skinner? If Baron goes out who steps in, Gordon? Hart?

My Nuggets face the same issue. If Nene were to stay healthy, they could be a very dangerous team. AI/JR/Melo/KMart/Nene is one hell of a group. But Nene isn't going to stay healthy. (and it's questionable KMart will as well) When he goes down for 25 games, where are we going to turn? Chris Anderson? Juwon Howard?

I think the Clippers win 30-34 games and don't even sniff a playoff spot. Just my opinon, I could be wrong.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #42
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I was watching the Bucks-Warriors preseason game the other day and, despite being arguably the worst game of basketball I've ever seen, Randolph had some amazing blocks in the first quarter. Yowzers. One started a fast break, and another was just plain humiliating. I think Wright will be the more productive one ths year scoring wise, but Randolph's big play potential will get him minutes.

Maggette is the one I'd worry about if I were a Warriors fan. He gets to the line a lot, but I think the Warriors' "shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy is going to hurt his game. The amount of bad jumpers he took in this game was alarming. Hopefully for Warriors fans he was just getting them out of his system in the preseason.

Also, if Biedrins doesn't get about 15-12 this year, he's being critically under-used. Kid has some serious talent. Put him on a less perimeter-based roster and I think he'd be a monster.

Agreed.

Magette was kind of a necessary evil. They had to get *someone* to replace Davis. Now Magette isn't Davis, but he's of the vet-scorer ilk and the W's need to have more than just StackJack as far as vets.

I'd agree on Biedrins, he's probably my favorite Warrior
Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sad news about Isiah Thomas:

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts....2.848132.html

Quote:
Harrison police were sent to the home of former New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas early Friday morning in response to a call that he had overdosed on sleeping pills, a source confirmed to CBS 2.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Nice to see the Cavs injury problems starting up again already.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #45
Schmidty
Coordinator

PING: Celtic Fans

We're for real this year.

Signed,

Detroit Pistons
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #46
mckerney
Coordinator

The Wolves while still be terrible while the fans wait for Glen Taylor, Kevin McHale, Randy Whitman, Randy Foye, Corey Brewer, Brian Cardinal to be gone. And hopefully Mike Miller won't be around for too long.

I still miss OJ Mayo.

It's no wonder they need to give away hundreds of tickets to the home opener.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-28-2008 at 04:47 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #47
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm headed to the United Center to watch the Bulls home opener, excited to see Rose in action!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #48
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
PING: Celtic Fans

We're for real this year. until the playoffs when everyone else starts to play hard also, then we will fold and claim to be the best anyways

Signed,

Detroit Pistons

fixed that for ya
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Eddie Curry "stunned" that McRib promotion is only available for a limited time.

No, wait, misread that, Eddie Curry "stunned" he's not in the rotation.

ESPN - Eddy Curry not part of New York Knicks' regular rotation

What a fall for Eddy Curry. Looks like he did have a career-threatening heart problem after all - just of a non-medical nature.

Last edited by Groundhog : 10-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #50
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
fixed that for ya

My post was a joke, but I will say that the Pistons never claimed to be the best after they lost. If you have a quote, show me.