Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Sgran
High School Varsity

Ping: History Buffs, free WW2 tour

I realize this thread borders on sales promotion, but this really is a special opportunity, and it's a completely free deal. My new company is launching a historical tour next spring, but we need to have a test run in November (as in next month). We're therefore offering the tour for free in exchange for feedback on the tour.

If this isn't kosher I'll delete the thread. Otherwise, if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you all the details. If the mods allow, I'll post more info publicly.

steve

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

PM sent
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Sgran
High School Varsity

Thanks to everyone who has PMed me so far. It seems like it could turn into a small FOFC event. Here is the general info about the tour:

It's a WW2 themed tour based on the Normandy landings and the allied advance on Germany. More specifically, it follows the exploits of the 101st Airborne Easy Company as seen in Band of Brothers.
The wrinkle of our tour is that you actually get to meet local people who witnessed these events. The tour goes from England (you need to fly to London) to France (normandy, of course) to Belgium, Holland and Germany, ending at the Eagle's Nest near Munich, where you fly out from (or from Salzburg, from where you can get to Frankfurt).

Check out the website: www.beyondbandofbrothers.com

my e-mail: [email protected]

This tour will sell for EUR 3,700 when we launch next year. You (and spouse, friends, etc.) can go for free, but it's November 6-16.

Thanks, steve

Last edited by Sgran : 10-15-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damn! I really REALLY want to go, I wish I could take the time.. Wonder if I could get the time off
Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!! No, not really. But after a quad bypass I cannot fly until January... And to think I was going to be in Poland(pre-surgery) from Oct 16-Nov 4th. It would have been so easy to just make a teeny tiny detour to London for this cool tour....You aren't planning on having another "beta" tour next year, are you ?
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
I HATE YOU!!!!!!!! No, not really. But after a quad bypass I cannot fly until January... And to think I was going to be in Poland(pre-surgery) from Oct 16-Nov 4th. It would have been so easy to just make a teeny tiny detour to London for this cool tour....You aren't planning on having another "beta" tour next year, are you ?

Actually, there will be another dry run in March, but it will be only for members of the National Association of Commissioned Travel Agents.

Otherwise you'll need to pay full fare and join the real tour from April to October next year.

Last edited by Sgran : 10-15-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Checking to see if my name turns blue....
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

It does...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Man I really want go to this by the way, but I can't take off that much time

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 10-15-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow sounds like a great opportunity, I wish I could do it but that's too short notice for me to get away from work.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Damn! I really REALLY want to go, I wish I could take the time.. Wonder if I could get the time off

You should try to. I'm quite close to commiting myself.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I REALLY am interested now that I see the web site. I just don't know if I can swing the time frame for work (which sucks).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I can swing the time away, but it sounds great. If it was a week later and I could use my Thanksgiving break time I'd jump on it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I REALLY am interested now that I see the web site. I just don't know if I can swing the time frame for work (which sucks).

+1...plus I don't have a passport.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

So does anyone else see their names in blue? What's up with that?

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 10-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

my name is not in blue and this sounds awesome but I cant get the time off

Last edited by Lathum : 10-15-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
my name is not in blue and this sounds awesome but I cant get the time off

yes it is
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I am seeing all names in blue in this thread.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
yes it is

i swear it isnt. Everyone elses is but mine...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Tasan
College Starter

Sigh. I don't have a passport, and probably don't have the $650 available this close to Christmas to pay for the flight. I'd really love to go on this.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Strange, now when I click on this thread I get a message that this site wants to install an add-on which is currently blocked.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Not getting that message in any other thread.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

names are in super-blue!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

PM sent...I am very interested.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #25
bob
College Starter

I sent a PM as well.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, my work laptop doesn't get the install pop up blocked message but still gets the blue names.

I probably can't get this to happen.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

When I go in this thread, the names and some links are blue. wtf.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #28
Sgran
High School Varsity

Hi guys,

There are some questions about what "free" means. I'm sorry that I didn't clarify this before. "Free" means that the tour itself if paid for. This refers to travel by bus to all the locations, the hotels, and meals. When we go live, this tour will cost more than 5 grand (EUR 3,700).

Airfare is not included in this deal. You need to make your own way to London and fly home from either Salzburg (usually to connect to Frankfurt) or Munich.

EDIT: All meals will be covered by us.

Last edited by Sgran : 10-16-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #29
Sgran
High School Varsity

This is a final call for the tour. If you would like to come on the tour, please commit by the end of the day today so that I know on Wednesday for sure who's coming. Thursday and Friday are holidays in Hungary, so we need to make final arrangements on Wednesday. We have only a few spots left.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Really wishing I could have done this. Watching the series now as I work (working from home tonight in conjunction with our India office and out client in China).

Those who make it from here get plenty of pictures and give us a good write up about your trip when you return.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #31
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Really wishing I could have done this. Watching the series now as I work (working from home tonight in conjunction with our India office and out client in China).

Those who make it from here get plenty of pictures and give us a good write up about your trip when you return.

We're planning on catching a lot of the tour on video for promotional purposes.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #32
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wish I could, but no way I can get off from teaching. Sounds great.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am working on my schedule right now to see if I can make it fit....if I can, you will hear from me today.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wishing I could go - I really thought I would (was like 85% sure), but given the situation here with my boss turning into a mega-ass and the fact that I'm looking for a new job quite actively it really doesn't seem like a good time for me to be dropping even $700 on airfare. And I need to keep my remaining vacation days so that I can go on interviews and all.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome - get plenty of pics FOFC-contingent!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #35
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow what an awesome tour. When i was stationed in Germany i went to a 3 day tour of the Battle of the Bulge and had a blast. Has anyone else looked up the airfare. The best i could find from Chicago was about $625 to London but the trip back from Salzburg is about $1200, kinda nasty.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I checked the cost of joining the travel agents group and it is only $145 now if i can only find a travel agent to hire me or my wife on prior to the March trip.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #37
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I have the miles to make it free for me, and potentially someone else but some personal stuff just rocked at work today and I have to hold off on this, who knows what will happen in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Wow what an awesome tour. When i was stationed in Germany i went to a 3 day tour of the Battle of the Bulge and had a blast. Has anyone else looked up the airfare. The best i could find from Chicago was about $625 to London but the trip back from Salzburg is about $1200, kinda nasty.

really? I had airfare (round-trip) at like $670. and that was including a sweetheart of a redeye on the way over so one could get into london bright and early on the 6th and spend the day there (because I do love london)
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well, I have the miles to make it free for me, and potentially someone else but some personal stuff just rocked at work today and I have to hold off on this, who knows what will happen in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Yep...I hear ya on this. Best of luck with whatever it is!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

According to the itinerary you would fly into London and fly back out of Salzburg or Munich. Where was the round trip for?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
According to the itinerary you would fly into London and fly back out of Salzburg or Munich. Where was the round trip for?

sorry - i misspoke - by roundtrip i just meant the complete multi-city itinerary.

and the return flight was out of munich
Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #42
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

What site did you get that thru and what airline was it?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

kayak.com

it was flying out on the afternoon of the 5th (arriving early morning on the 6th in london) and then flying back from munich mid-morning on the 16th (10am or so).

I should still have the searches saved - if you shoot me an email i'll forward them on to you

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-21-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #44
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

It's sickening how much I want to do this I just can't miss that many classes.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 AM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Any word on this? Did anyone from here do it and if so how was it?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #46
Sgran
High School Varsity

In the end, no one from FOFC took up my offer. We finished the tour last week, but then I was off to Miami to promote it at a conference, which is why I haven't posted until now. The tour went well and we got quite a bit of enthusiasm at the conference from travel agents who think they can sell it. We're full steam ahead for next season.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
In the end, no one from FOFC took up my offer. We finished the tour last week, but then I was off to Miami to promote it at a conference, which is why I haven't posted until now. The tour went well and we got quite a bit of enthusiasm at the conference from travel agents who think they can sell it. We're full steam ahead for next season.

Congrats on the successful tour, Sgran. I really wish I could have done this. But I just couldn't get that much time off from work in a row in that short a time. I would have needed to know about the possibility probably months in advance (by July at the latest). Nothing you can do about that, of course.

Oh well, like I said, glad to hear it went well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #48
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Same here. I'm waiting on the possibility of a tenure track position, so now wasn't the time to make a pitch for this. I really wish it had happened at a time I could have gone, though. This kind of trip is high up on my to do list.