Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Old Emo fan...where to find good music today?

Big emo fan back in the late 1990's until...well still I guess.

Anyway, a lot of the newer "emo" I do not like and I was wondering where guys like me, into emo back in the day, go to find decent music nowadays?

I don't want to be that guy listening to music that's 30 years old but also don't want to give into the junk they call emo today. I do like some modern bands such as Death Cab, Sigur Ros, etc. but I rarely hear a band I can get lost in anymore.

I know I can't be the only one!

To give you an idea of the sound I liked/like:

Mineral
Sunny Day
Elliott
Jimmy Eat World (Clarity etc.)
Promise Ring
Appleseed Cast
American Football
The Anniversary
Braid
Hey Mercedes
Get Up Kids (really just the 1st album)
Juliana Theory (not so much anymore...too whinny)
Texas is the Reason

You get the idea...is today's emo still decent and perhaps I'm not giving it much of a chance? Sort of a random post but it's been on my mind this week...

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Recoil
High School Varsity

Grade
Brandtson
Hot Rod Circuit
Jawbreaker
Split Lip
Piebald
Benton Falls

I'm more of a fan of the harder emo music (Heroin, You and I, Swing Kids, etc.), but all of the above are good bands
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I liked Brandston, although a bit whinny too. Never cared for Jawbeaker and I think I'm the only person on earth who likes neither Jets to Brazil nor Alkaline Trio (the Al Kaline Trio!)
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Recoil
High School Varsity

Yeah, I never got into Jets to Brazil, but how can you not like Alkaline Trio? From Here to Infirmary and Goddammit are classic albums.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Anywhere I can hear a clip of some of these bands? - the names sound intruiging even if I've never heard of any of them ... (and for that matter what is 'emo' ... its not the little bird puppet we had in England during the 80's I kinda guessed ).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-13-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Anywhere I can hear a clip of some of these bands? - the names sound intruiging even if I've never heard of any of them ... (and for that matter what is 'emo' ... its not the little bird puppet we had in England during the 80's I kinda guessed ).

Your best bet is searching for these bands on Myspace, as most have pages (including the inactive bands).
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I never considered Jawbreaker emo, though not exactly punk either I admit which is what I mostly listen to.

And there is nothing wrong with being the guy listening to music 30 years old. A hell of a lot of kids do it too these days. The music was better.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I never considered Jawbreaker emo, though not exactly punk either I admit which is what I mostly listen to.

And there is nothing wrong with being the guy listening to music 30 years old. A hell of a lot of kids do it too these days. The music was better.

Glad you said that and not me. Nearly everyone is listening to music that's at least 30 years old (unless you're a country fan). Nothing wrong with that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Glad you said that and not me. Nearly everyone is listening to music that's at least 30 years old (unless you're a country fan). Nothing wrong with that.

Not I. There's been some definite really good albums released within the past few years.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
kurtism
High School Varsity

Slightly OT, but I admit to being amused by the self-appellation of "old emo fan." Color me too old to think emo has even been around long enough to have "old" fans

That said, a former quasi-emo band released a really fun album (and one that would have played well 30 years ago). Look for Panic at the Disco's latest, Pretty.Odd.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Slightly OT, but I admit to being amused by the self-appellation of "old emo fan." Color me too old to think emo has even been around long enough to have "old" fans

That said, a former quasi-emo band released a really fun album (and one that would have played well 30 years ago). Look for Panic at the Disco's latest, Pretty.Odd.

Well, depends on how you define emo I guess. There was emo throughout the 80's, but a lot of people wouldn't say todays stuff is even emo by the standards they set back then. Kind of like 10 years ago when I wanted to hit stuff every time someone called Blink 182 punk.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Big emo fan back in the late 1990's until...well still I guess.

Anyway, a lot of the newer "emo" I do not like and I was wondering where guys like me, into emo back in the day, go to find decent music nowadays?

I don't want to be that guy listening to music that's 30 years old but also don't want to give into the junk they call emo today. I do like some modern bands such as Death Cab, Sigur Ros, etc. but I rarely hear a band I can get lost in anymore.

I know I can't be the only one!

To give you an idea of the sound I liked/like:

Mineral
Sunny Day
Elliott
Jimmy Eat World (Clarity etc.)
Promise Ring
Appleseed Cast
American Football
The Anniversary
Braid
Hey Mercedes
Get Up Kids (really just the 1st album)
Juliana Theory (not so much anymore...too whinny)
Texas is the Reason

You get the idea...is today's emo still decent and perhaps I'm not giving it much of a chance? Sort of a random post but it's been on my mind this week...

You are funny, saying JT was too whinny, they were whinny when they first came out, their last two albums weren't that good. Too bad they broke up. I'm assuming since you liked Get Up Kids, you also checked out New Amsterdams?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote