Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Tommy Bowden fired!

Perhaps he can reunite with Rich Rod

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Only Rivals seems to have this so far. No sign of it on cbssportsline or espn.com, nor the newspaper sites in Greenville or Columbia.

Interesting that the move (assuming it has taken place) comes one day after the announcement that the freshman Korn would replace Harper as the starting QB. Wonder if Bowden allegedly telling the media about the change before he told the players turned into the last straw?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

On ESPN front page now.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
On ESPN front page now.

Props to Rivals for the scoop then.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

So, who do you think they'll go after to take over?

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-13-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Thank god Bobby Bowden won't have to save his son's job anymore.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

My wife wants Bobby Johnson from Vandy. Honestly, I am not sure if that's the right way to go. Some delusional fans think Bill Cowher would be interested. I don't know why.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Well, Georgia Tech was probably due for a let down after a really hard fought game against Gardner-Webb, but add to this the emotion of Clemson playing for a new coach and new quarterback and it could be a tough environment in the Valley. I'm glad the game is at noon so the Tigger faithful won't be to lathered up and frothing at the mouth.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Well, Georgia Tech was probably due for a let down after a really hard fought game against Gardner-Webb, but add to this the emotion of Clemson playing for a new coach and new quarterback and it could be a tough environment in the Valley. I'm glad the game is at noon so the Tigger faithful won't be to lathered up and frothing at the mouth.

Not to derail the thread... but 10-7 over Gardner-Webb? What was that about?

As for it being a noon game, don't worry about them being too lathered up... most bars don't even open until at least 8 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Recoil
High School Varsity

Harper: "He got what he deserved." (per ESPN)

lol
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Not to derail the thread... but 10-7 over Gardner-Webb? What was that about?

As for it being a noon game, don't worry about them being too lathered up... most bars don't even open until at least 8 AM.

Some combination of a 3rd and 4th string quarterback not suited to run the offense and unable to connect on passes against 9 in the box and single coverage on the outside.

No word on the status of either Nesbitt or Jaybo Shaw for Saturday.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Will be interesting to see if Cullen Harper gets the QB job back, or if Korn remains the starter, as so named by Bowden on Saturday.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Both players interviewed in the ESPN article didn't seem remorseful in the least. Both thought it would ultimately be a positive step for this season. You have to wonder how bad it really was.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

This is bad news for the rest of the ACC...at least I can take solace in that it looks like the last two UVA wins will help keep Al Groh in Charlottesville.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dabo Sweeney interim through years end.

Local list buzz seems to be:
Bobby Johnson
Will Muschamp
Buzz Peterson
Lane Kiffin (WTF? WHY?)
Dave Christensen

Last edited by CU Tiger : 10-13-2008 at 12:29 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Firebird
n00b

Holy wow.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Talking to a good friend who is at the Jervey Athletic Office.

Looks like OC Rob Spence may be gone as well.
He is loading up his Hummer as we speak with boxes from his office.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 10-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Harper: "He got what he deserved." (per ESPN)

lol

thats awesome
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Talking to a good friend who is at the Jervey Athletic Office.

Looks like OC Rob Spence may be gone as well.
He is loading up his Hummer as we speak with boxes from his office.

Sweet. Spence has been a waste for quite some time.

None of this improves the offensive line play, however.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Perhaps he can reunite with Rich Rod

Bring back Chuck Whitehurst
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

these are telling...
Clemson running back C.J. Spiller had mixed emotions seeing Bowden let go.

"I'm shocked. We are 3-3 because we didn't make enough big offensive plays," Spiller said. "I'm shocked by our record and now I'm shocked that our coach is gone.

"I enjoyed playing for coach Bowden and I liked him, but in the end he was yelling at us to be leaders and it wasn't working. He did all he could to motivate us but guys weren't buying into what he was saying. And he said a lot of the same things over and over again.

"He let the offensive coordinator [Rob Spence] run the show and we got away from me and James [Davis]. I think part of the problem was when he benched Cullen. Some people wanted the offensive coordinator fired, [Bowden benched] the quarterback and then he got fired."
Old 10-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Email just received to all IPTAY members

Bowden Steps Down as Head Coach at Clemson
October 13, 2008
Clemson, SC—Clemson University and Head Football Coach Tommy Bowden parted ways on Monday. After two meetings on Monday morning between Bowden and Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips, it was agreed upon that Bowden would no longer be the Clemson Head Coach. He will be replaced by assistant head coach Dabo Swinnney on an interim basis.
“Terry Don Phillips approached me this morning and we agreed that this is the best solution for the direction of the program,” said Bowden. “Clemson has been very good to me and my family. Both of our children are Clemson graduates.
“I appreciate the opportunity Clemson University gave me and the support of the administration while I was here. I also want to thank all the student-athletes and coaches who worked so hard for this program the last 10 years.
“I wish Clemson University nothing but the best in the future.”
Bowden coached Clemson for 10 seasons (including 2008) and posted a 72-45 record for his 117 games. He never had a losing season. Including his two years at Tulane when he posted an 18-4 record, Bowden has a career record of 90-49, a 65.2 winning percentage.
He leaves Clemson third in school history in wins with 72, games coached with 117, and wins over top 25 teams with 13. Included in the list of ranked wins are three of Clemson’s six top 10 road wins in history. He led the Tigers with a win at ninth-ranked Georgia Tech in 2001, 10th ranked Miami (FL) in 2004 and ninth ranked Florida State in 2006.
Four of his nine previous teams finished the year ranked in the top 25 of both polls. His highest ranked team was the 2000 edition that finished with a 9-3 record and a number-14 ranking by USA Today and number-16 by Associated Press. That team began the year with an 8-0 record and reached a number-four national ranking by USA Today.
While Bowden never won the ACC Championship at Clemson, he never had a losing record in ACC play when he coached a complete season. He was 43-32 against ACC competition overall. His best ACC record was the 6-2 mark posted in 2000.
The Tigers are 3-3 so far this year, 1-2 in the ACC. The Tigers have wins over NC State, South Carolina State and The Citadel, with losses against Alabama, Maryland and Wake Forest. Alabama is currently ranked second in the nation and Wake Forest is 21st.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 10-13-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
timmynausea
College Starter

If he hadn't left WVU for Michigan last year, Rich Rodriguez would be the coach at Clemson next year. No doubt in my mind. He even owns a lot of property in the area.

And there are already some on the WVU boards that want Tommy to come to WVU. He was a WVU player and grad. I guess it is arguable as to whether or not Bowden would be better than what we have.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
If he hadn't left WVU for Michigan last year, Rich Rodriguez would be the coach at Clemson next year. No doubt in my mind. He even owns a lot of property in the area.

And there are already some on the WVU boards that want Tommy to come to WVU. He was a WVU player and grad. I guess it is arguable as to whether or not Bowden would be better than what we have.

Allegedly Rich contacted Clemson admin last season to ask if there was an opening coming during the UM uncertainty
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some combination of a 3rd and 4th string quarterback not suited to run the offense and unable to connect on passes against 9 in the box and single coverage on the outside.

And an OL that was either unwilling/incapable of blocking anybody for any reason.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Local list buzz seems to be:
Bobby Johnson
Will Muschamp
Buzz Peterson
Lane Kiffin (WTF? WHY?)
Dave Christensen

This was part of the family conversation at lunch. My first thought was Johnson & I'm sure he'll get a look but ultimately I don't think it would be a good fit for him or the school. He seems to really like doing things his own way with a minimum of interference and/or pressure from the outside and I don't see that happening at CU.

Muschamp has to be a contender for pretty much any & every job opening doesn't he? Under the circumstances I figure he can pick his spot and I don't know if Clemson would be the number one job out there for him.

Kiffin? Heh.

Christensen? The ex-Raiders tight end? I don't think I even knew he was a coach.

Peterson? Why would he leave the Charlotte Bobcats front office to start coaching football?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Bobby Johnson is a good coach, and is going to get a good bit of buzz this off-season. I just don't think there is any way he'd work out at a major university. Strict is not nearly a strong enough word for him. I just can't see him fitting in with the type of players Clemson has (no slight to Clemson players meant.)
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think the ex-Raiders tight end was Todd Christensen. Finally, all those hours spent playing Tecmo Bowl comes in handy.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

How long until Cutcliff is out of Duke and onto better things?

It's only been a season but he is setting himself up nicely for a new job sooner rather then later.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
This is bad news for the rest of the ACC

Yeah, totally. Clemson may actually live up to its promise now.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

Sounds like a great match to me.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #32
clemsonfan
High School JV

Praise Jesus!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #33
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
My wife wants Bobby Johnson from Vandy. Honestly, I am not sure if that's the right way to go. Some delusional fans think Bill Cowher would be interested. I don't know why.

Yep, I think Bobby Johnson is the way to go. He used to be an assistant coach at Clemson and he's a Clemson grad and former player. He coached Furman when they were good and look what he's done for Vandy!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #34
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Email just received to all IPTAY members

Didn't realize It was Probation Time Again (y'all).
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Speaking of which, looking at Swinney's bio, it looks as though he was part of the Bama staff during the DuBose era. Hopefully he wasn't a part of the things that led to their probation, Clemson definitely doesn't need to revisit that sort of thing.

DuBose incidentally is now head coach at D-3 Millsaps College, which I didn't know until looking up his tenure to refresh my memory.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

Kirk Ferentz could be available.
At least I hope he is.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #37
Recoil
High School Varsity

How about Terry Bowden?
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #38
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This was part of the family conversation at lunch. My first thought was Johnson & I'm sure he'll get a look but ultimately I don't think it would be a good fit for him or the school. He seems to really like doing things his own way with a minimum of interference and/or pressure from the outside and I don't see that happening at CU.

Muschamp has to be a contender for pretty much any & every job opening doesn't he? Under the circumstances I figure he can pick his spot and I don't know if Clemson would be the number one job out there for him.

Kiffin? Heh.

Christensen? The ex-Raiders tight end? I don't think I even knew he was a coach.

Peterson? Why would he leave the Charlotte Bobcats front office to start coaching football?

Ok, I typed this with 200 other things going on.
1) I dont understand Kiffen's connection at all...but he is intriguing
2) Dave Christensen (maybe I have the wrong name Ill go check) the OC at Mizzou
3) And just Damn...Buzz Peterson....damn....Chris Petersen of Boise State fame...another one I really dont see.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I totally dont get this quote...

Are you implying an email from the AD to all athletic fund donors would be a violation?

Or rather going back 4 coaches to the Ford days, saying no one but Bowden ha avoided controversy at Clemson?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #40
Celeval
Pro Starter

I think he's going for It's Probation Time Again Y'all
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #41
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Rumor has it that Bobby Petrino is headed to Clemson tomorrow.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #42
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Too late...RichRod flew in tonight.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #43
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I totally dont get this quote...

Are you implying an email from the AD to all athletic fund donors would be a violation?

Or rather going back 4 coaches to the Ford days, saying no one but Bowden ha avoided controversy at Clemson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I think he's going for It's Probation Time Again Y'all

Yup...just an old joke to make myself chuckle. Sorry you didn't.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Schiano may be looking to jump ship
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #45
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yup...just an old joke to make myself chuckle. Sorry you didn't.

Ahh...no hard feelings.
I got it now.

My wife and Linda Bowden (Tommy's wife) have done a number of fund raising and mission type work together over the past few years. They spoke late last night its a tough situation for all, I feel for Tommy; he is a good man.

But it was time for a change.

John, I think you guys get an easy win this Saturday, not that you wouldnt have won anyway but this teams in too much turmoil to compete Im afraid. Baptism by fire Coach Swwinney
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #46
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
How long until Cutcliff is out of Duke and onto better things?

It's only been a season but he is setting himself up nicely for a new job sooner rather then later.

Don't say that. We're enjoying this...what do you call it..football?...now that we have a competent coach and I would hate for that to get taken away right off the bat.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #47
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

His wife is in town looking for houses. Meanwhile, Petrino is promising his AD he is not interested in another job.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Today, an irate Nick Saban denied that he was going to become Clemson's new coach.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-14-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

High larious
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, Danny Ford is only 61 years old. He could come back & coach for at least another 20 years if he wanted to pull a Paterno.