Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who's fans would you be happy to see win a championship?
Chicago Cubs 17 18.48%
Cleveland Indians 11 11.96%
Pittsburgh Pirates 9 9.78%
Chicago Blackhawks 1 1.09%
Toronto Maple Leafs 6 6.52%
St. Louis Blues 2 2.17%
Atlanta Hawks 2 2.17%
L.A Clippers 3 3.26%
Detroit Lions 11 11.96%
Arizona Cardinals 3 3.26%
Oakland Raiders 3 3.26%
Cincinnati Bengals 1 1.09%
Other 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

POLL: Which teams fans would you be happy to see win a championship?

A lot of people (myself included) sometimes cannot stand a team because their fans are so obnoxious that you root for them to lose just so they can't be happy. For me it's Oakland Raider fans because of their blind loyalty for Al Davis, and their paranoia that the NFL and ESPN are just out looking for ways to ruin them.

But there are some teams where you just have to feel bad for their fans, like the Chicago Blackhawks, who for years were sunk by the worst owner in sports history, or even the Lions, who for 50 years and have been more a threat to take away a top 5 pick from a team rather then a title.

So who's fans would you be actually excited for if they won a title?

Poll coming

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

For me, I went hometown with the Lions, because they're a staple of the NFL, but they're so utterly useless it's sad. An 8-8 season would send this town in a frenzy, and Detroit is a huge football town, so the fans deserve more then 8-8.

I don't think Lions fans are even obnoxious because they're so used to failure they just are immune to talking shit and annoying other fans, what's the point?

So I voted Lions but I really considered the Leafs as an NHL fan. I do think though once they won a majority of their fans would be insufferable.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
path12
Coordinator

I voted Pirates, but really, Seattle is about as bad as it gets for sports the past couple years......we'd like a little love.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Saints fan didn't make the list.

Interesting.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I voted Pirates, but really, Seattle is about as bad as it gets for sports the past couple years......we'd like a little love.

I left Other for ya
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

NOT the Cubs. I voted with the default Bengals answer for me.

But of the teams I do not actively root for, I'd probably go for the Leafs, Pirates, and Lions.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Bills/Sabres
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Lions, though if I had the vote back I might go Blackhawks. Clear top 2 for me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What about Atlanta Falcons fans? I would put them before Hawks fans.

For years and years and years and.. well the entire existance of the team's history we've been pretty bad to at best possibly competing to finish 2nd behind the 49ers. When realignment occured, it finally got us from behind those stupid 49ers just in time for them to become horrible as well. However now with a not so tough of a division, things were looking up a few years ago.. but then suddenly all hell broke loose again and we're back to being horrible again.

This year has been fun cheering the team on and watching our young QB.. but we obviously aren't a contender level.. Either way I think some of the same arguements can be made for the Saints as well though, so I know we're not alone here..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I fear that Cubs fans would become obnoxious like Red Sox fans.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
What about Atlanta Falcons fans? I would put them before Hawks fans.

For years and years and years and.. well the entire existance of the team's history we've been pretty bad to at best possibly competing to finish 2nd behind the 49ers. When realignment occured, it finally got us from behind those stupid 49ers just in time for them to become horrible as well. However now with a not so tough of a division, things were looking up a few years ago.. but then suddenly all hell broke loose again and we're back to being horrible again.

This year has been fun cheering the team on and watching our young QB.. but we obviously aren't a contender level.. Either way I think some of the same arguements can be made for the Saints as well though, so I know we're not alone here..

I was trying to keep all the sports decently represented, and with NFL far and away the most popular sport, I went with the four teams who've basically had no success the last decade. Oakland was the exception because they're a notoriously popular franchise with fans all over the country, but other then that, Atlanta and New Orleans have done a lot more as of late then the other teams.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
bignej
High School JV

What?! No Cleveland Browns?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Ditto. I put them on there because like Oakland and the Leafs, I think their fans would easily become very hated by others. Hell they already are to an extent.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't think that would happen unless the Bulls and Bears also won.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

gotta go with my beloved Cardinals here. After years of mismanagement by the Bidwells and moving out of St. Louis where they were dearly loved, the Cards deserve some good fortune.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Any mid-major men's basketball team.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Browns were probably the 2nd most successful franchise in the pre-superbowl era. They've never even made the superbowl in the 40 some years of its existence. I'd say that's longer suffering than any other NFL team.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Browns were probably the 2nd most successful franchise in the pre-superbowl era. They've never even made the superbowl in the 40 some years of its existence. I'd say that's longer suffering than any other NFL team.

The Lions were dominate pre-superbowl era .. they've won 1 playoff game since then. I can't say I agree.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola - Both Detroit and Cleveland won 4 NFL Championships.

Cleveland was an expansion team and still was better then Detroit in the 10 years since. Come on now.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oakland doesn't belong on this list, IMO.

Baseball, I'd list Milwaukee over Pittsburgh. Not only have other teams from that city won championships, the Pirates did win in '79 (only one year further back than the Phillies, fwiw). I'd put the Bucks in the pool too for that matter if there weren't size restrictions. Browns belong there too.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Any mid-major men's basketball team.

Or a non-BCS football school.

The happiness around here when Boise St. made their run was very cool. This school was a Junior College until 1967, Division II until 1977, and Division 1-AA until 1995.

There's people around that were fans through all that - the run to the Fiesta Bowl was just unreal.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Lions were dominate pre-superbowl era .. they've won 1 playoff game since then. I can't say I agree.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #23
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I guess in my mind if a NFL team has been around longer than I have been alive and has 0 championships to show for it.. then at what point does it matter if it has been 40 years or 60 years.. it has been my entire lifetime.

I guess if you ask who are the "oldest" suffering fans then that is a different question

Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Why are there teams in that list that have won championships in the last 15 or so years?

I chose the Pirates.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Why the hell weren't the Missouri Tigers on that list?!?!?!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
Scarecrow
College Prospect

or the Chiefs

Last edited by Scarecrow : 10-07-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #27
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess in my mind if a NFL team has been around longer than I have been alive and has 0 championships to show for it.. then at what point does it matter if it has been 40 years or 60 years.. it has been my entire lifetime.

I guess if you ask who are the "oldest" suffering fans then that is a different question

Syracuse has more major sports titles than Buffalo and they haven't even had a team in any makjor sport for like 50 years! (1-0)
Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Says the Phillies fan.

I use to root for the Sox because I felt bad for them and the whole curse bit. But after the Pats winning and the Sox winning, they have become so obnoxious. I'm not surprised that you can't see it yourself.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just out of curiosity.. does anyone have a list available of which City has the worst history of lack of championships? Are there any cities that have all four major sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey) that have 0 titles to show for it? I know we (Atlanta) were in that boat for over 20 years of my life before the Braves finally won in the 90s. I have to guess there are others out there still?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Never said I couldn't see it, but I can also see the irony of a Phillies fan (who we learned the obnoxiousness game from) making that comment.

I will never deny that Philadelphia sports fans are not obnoxious. I don't live in the city or near the city (other side of the state) but I've been to enough games to know this.

My issue with Sox fans is that they hated the Yankees and how they "bought" championships. But they've won their two pretty much the same way, with a huge payroll, yet don't see it that way. I went to Fenway this year and was really taken back with the passion and how great it really is there. But you can't even have a simple debate with Sox fans because they only see one side. And I find that utterly annoying.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I use to root for the Sox because I felt bad for them and the whole curse bit. But after the Pats winning and the Sox winning, they have become so obnoxious. I'm not surprised that you can't see it yourself.

Any fan or local sports media who utter the word "curse" immediately drops off my support list. If you have to lose, lose with some pride. There are no curses in sports, just teams who don't manage to get it done when they have the chance...like my Brewers.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #32
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm an Indians fan so I voted for the Tribe. If I had to vote for another team, I'd vote for the Pirates or the Cubs.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Getting back to the topic, I do feel bad for Pirates fans because the management just plain sucks. Each year they get suckered into thinking that the Buccos have made moves to get them better. Opening Day comes...the Pirates are in first till Mid-May...then comes June and July where they are lucky to win 10 games combined.

Trading deadline comes and the management sends off all their good players for "prospects". Let's not forget the draft where they conveniently skip over players because they are too cheap to pay them. Then after the deadline the Pirates play around .500 ball and the fans get excited because they'll only get better the following year with a few FA players.

Read those two paragraphs over and over 16 times in a row. And that about sums up the Pirates organization.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #34
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post
What?! No Cleveland Browns?

That was my thought as well. Enthusiastic supporters, but a lousy team for most of the past 35 years and not even a Super Bowl appearance during that time. As far as fans I feel the most sorry for in general, that'd be the AZ Cardinals as I think Bidwell is probably the worst owner in the league. I wouldn't want to reward him with a Super Bowl win, but I do feel sorry for his being inflicted on the team's followers.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just out of curiosity.. does anyone have a list available of which City has the worst history of lack of championships? Are there any cities that have all four major sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey) that have 0 titles to show for it? I know we (Atlanta) were in that boat for over 20 years of my life before the Braves finally won in the 90s. I have to guess there are others out there still?

Buffalo has zero.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #36
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Dola - Both Detroit and Cleveland won 4 NFL Championships.

Cleveland was an expansion team and still was better then Detroit in the 10 years since. Come on now.

But you put the Leafs on the list???

I find it hard to believe that any non-supporters feel sorry for the franchise or their fans.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 10-07-2008 at 01:20 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #37
molson
General Manager

Every single one of these teams' fanbases would expand to include douchebags if they won a couple of championships. And many of the existing fans would be viewed as douchebags. (Especially by that teams' rivals' fans).

Last edited by molson : 10-07-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #38
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
But you put the Leafs on the list???

I find it hard to believe that any non-supporters feel sorry for the franchise or their fans.

I do . Well, for the fans more than for the franchise.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd be happy with any of them as long as the fans promise not to have a bizaare persecution complex after they win three championships.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This is a tough one.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #41
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Bills/Sabres

The question truly is "which team's fans would you be happy to see win a championship," not who has had the worst go of it, or who has the least amount of rings, etc.

This is a total homer argument, but I have to say Bills / Sabres.

Only people who live in the area realize what a monumental occasion it would be for the city. Not to speak for the whole region, but Buffalo has, in many ways, an inferiority complex. Unless the discussion is about chicken wings, the only time Buffalo comes up in a national conversation is either in reference to snow or to the rust-belt economy.

When the Bills and Sabres are on top of their games, and Buffalo is in the spotlight because their teams are legit, it really has a palpable effect around here.

It's an emotional, not logical, argument, but: This city NEEDS a championship. Cities like LA, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. have so many things going for them that a championship is cause for celebration, but it probably doesn't lift the spirits of the community in a long-term, tangible way.

Side note: I'd love to see a poll about which sports CITY you despise the most. I hate all teams from Philly and Dallas, for instance.

Anyway, back on topic . . . .
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #42
Radii
Head Coach

Would have been more interesting if you'd asked people to not pick a team that they themselves root for, as much of this vote is probably "I'm a cubs fan, so I pick them" etc.

As for me, I'm a Cubs fan, so I pick them.

Out of the other teams, I would pick the Lions.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Bills/Sabres

During the Canes run to the Cup, the only visiting team fans that were obnoxious were the Sabres fans, to the point of trying to pick fights in the stands, etc. Every other team had great fans win or lose, but the Sabres fans really soured a lot of the locals, including the one Sabres fan we had in the office.

So no.

I could get on the Seattle bandwagon, or maybe the Saints bandwagon.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #44
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:

Seattle has a pretty impressive streak. It really is brutal for Seattle sports fans.

Mariners: It took them 14 years to finish with a winning record. They did set a record for wins in the regular season with 116 in '01. That team got bounced in the ALCS by the Yankees. After a nice run in the late 90's and early 00's, the wheels came off the wagon (again) in '04

Seahawks: After beating the Raiders in the Wildcard round in 1984, Hawk fans had to wait another 20 years before winning a playoff game. They only made the playoffs twice in that time frame. They did have a nice run from '04-'07, but the wheels are coming off that wagon as we speak.

Sonics: The one shining hope for sports fans in this town. Won the only title the city has ever seen in 1979. Bought by a group from Oklahoma City and moved there at the end of last season.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #45
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
During the Canes run to the Cup, the only visiting team fans that were obnoxious were the Sabres fans, to the point of trying to pick fights in the stands, etc. Every other team had great fans win or lose, but the Sabres fans really soured a lot of the locals, including the one Sabres fan we had in the office.

So no.

I could get on the Seattle bandwagon, or maybe the Saints bandwagon.

Because I heard oh so great stories about Canes fans as well...

Of course, if the Canes had been able to actually sell out their tickets it would have been a moot point...
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

BITCH FIGHT BETWEEN 2 TEAMS NO ONE CARES ABOUT!

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #47
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
BITCH FIGHT BETWEEN 2 TEAMS NO ONE CARES ABOUT!

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!

and I've already heard the lame Canes version of the fight in the stands story
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #48
Anthony
Banned

Other:

for this year alone i have no prob if either the Rays/Dodgers won. Rays for showing a small budget team can win (and to show just how much Yankees wasted this year) and the Dodgers for Torre to sock it to his old bosses. i hate the Yankees.

most of the other teams have fans that don't even care about their teams. Atlanta will never care about the Hawks, thus, they don't deserve to see their team win. Pittsburgh owners don't care about their team, so i don't ever want to see them win. there's a lot of ambivalence towards the Blackhawks and Cardinals, if the city doesn't care then why should i?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I had a blast in St. Louis during my years of Cards games and the Blues have broken more hearts in that city than almost anyone, except maybe Anheuser Busch of late.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #50
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Saints are cursed, folks. They don't always suck, but they will never win. They should be #1 for everyone, because the fans are nice people who will never get to see their team win.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote