Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

College Football Week 7 thread

Great week for college football fans (especially ones like me that are going to Vegas this weekend).

Two huge undefeated matchups in the Big 12 this week. Florida vs. LSU in the Swamp. Also, a great Big 10 matchup and two 4-1 teams go at it in Chapel Hill in a non-conference matchup. Here's the Top 25 slate:

- Thursday, October 9, 2008 -

7:30 PM ET
Clemson (3-2, 1-1 ACC)
(21) Wake Forest (3-1, 1-0 ACC)

- Saturday, October 11, 2008 -

12:00 PM ET
(5) Texas (5-0, 1-0 Big 12)
(1) Oklahoma (5-0, 1-0 Big 12)

12:30 PM ET
Colorado (3-2, 0-1 Big 12)
(16) Kansas (4-1, 1-0 Big 12)

2:00 PM ET
(14) Utah (6-0, 2-0 MWC)
Wyoming (2-4, 0-3 MWC)

2:30 PM ET
(13) Vanderbilt (5-0, 3-0 SEC)
Mississippi St (1-4, 0-2 SEC)

3:00 PM ET
Nebraska (3-2, 0-1 Big 12)
(7) Texas Tech (5-0, 1-0 Big 12)

3:30 PM ET
Notre Dame (4-1, 0-1 away)
(22) North Carolina (4-1, 1-1 ACC)

Purdue (2-3, 0-1 Big Ten)
(12) Ohio St (5-1, 2-0 Big Ten)

Arizona St (2-3, 1-1 Pac-10)
(8) USC (3-1, 1-1 Pac-10)

Tennessee (2-3, 0-2 SEC)
(10) Georgia (4-1, 1-1 SEC)

(23) Michigan St (5-1, 2-0 Big Ten)
Northwestern (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten)

5:00 PM ET
Arkansas (2-3, 0-2 SEC)
(20) Auburn (4-2, 2-2 SEC)

6:00 PM ET
New Mexico (3-3, 1-1 MWC)
(9) Brigham Young (5-0, 1-0 MWC)

7:00 PM ET
(25) Ball St (6-0, 3-0 MAC)
Western Kentucky (2-4, 1-0 home)

8:00 PM ET
(4) LSU (4-0, 2-0 SEC)
(11) Florida (4-1, 2-1 SEC)

(17) Oklahoma St (5-0, 1-0 Big 12)
(3) Missouri (5-0, 1-0 Big 12)

(6) Penn St (6-0, 2-0 Big Ten)
Wisconsin (3-2, 0-2 Big Ten)

(15) Boise St (4-0, 1-0 WAC)
Southern Miss (2-3, 0-2 C-USA)

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I can't wait for the Mizzou/OKState game Saturday night, even though I fear Oklahoma State is now heading into the ass-whuppin' portion of our schedule.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I can't wait for the Mizzou/OKState game Saturday night, even though I fear Oklahoma State is now heading into the ass-whuppin' portion of our schedule.

If it was in Stillwater, it would be a much different situation. At Mizzou, I think that Mizzou will take care of business.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I would bold that PSU @ Wisconsin game. Wisconsin might not be ranked but Penn State hasn't beaten Wisky on the road since 2002. And Wisconsin hasn't lost two in a row at home in awhile.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post

It will be interesting to see this Ok St. team in action. Is this game on ESPN 2?

Red River Shootout this weekend too!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Red River shootout at 12, two extremely talented but young teams breaking out a year early at 3:30, Charles Scott going into the Swamp and Dez Bryant vs. Jeremy Maclin for a nightcap. (A Red Sox/Rays playoff game in there somewhere.) Yup, don't think I'll be getting much done this Saturday.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/200...good_side.html

I know Neuheisel is a bit of a controversial figure among college sports fans. You either love him (mostly just UCLA people), or you hate him (most everyone on the West Coast), or you feel he's just something bad waiting to happen (the rest of the country).

But the story above is worth reading to see a side of Slick Rick that isn't advertised too much.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

2:00 PM ET
(14) Utah (6-0, 2-0 MWC)
Wyoming (2-4, 0-3 MWC)

This is going to be a great game with a lot of attitude coming from the Wyoming side and it is being played at Laramie and the snow has already hit.

Utah ran up the score last season, even doing an onsides kick in the 4th with them way ahead to where it prompted Joe Glenn giving Kyle the one finger salute.

As for BYU, they welcome New Mexico into Provo. It should be a win, but based on the way they played Utah State, who knows.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I CAN'T WAIT FOR 11AM CENTRAL ON SATURDAY TO GET HERE!!!!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Notre Dame (4-1, 0-1 away)
(22) North Carolina (4-1, 1-1 ACC)

It's not often that I wish a 0-0 tie that ends up being called because some sort of mishap happens that prevents the game from being finished would occur, but this is one of those times....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It's nice to see that a 3-9 season with possibly the worst offense in college football history hasn't diminished people's hate for Notre Dame
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It's nice to see that a 3-9 season with possibly the worst offense in college football history hasn't diminished people's hate for Notre Dame

I'm seriously torn about it, really. Reluctantly, I'd lean towards ND, just because I don't think I could stand it if I had to hear about how great Carolina is from the fans and the press around here. If there were a positive to Carolina winning, is that it increases the odds that Butch will leave after this year after proving his college coaching credentials and Carolina will sink back into oblivion again. Then again, as much as I would dislike the local media fawning over Carolina if they win, I'm not sure I would like the national media doing the same thing for ND if they win.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, it's fitting, considering that around 15 years of suckitude didn't stop Notre Dame fans from acting like the fans of champions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, it's fitting, considering that around 15 years of suckitude didn't stop Notre Dame fans from acting like the fans of champions.

LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

There is only one team that I root for Notre Dame to beat and that is Pitt.

Funny thing is...I have a degree from Pitt.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
timmynausea
College Starter

Auburn fired their Offensive Coordinator Tony Franklin today after just 6 games. Yikes.

Auburn jettisons offensive coordinator Franklin - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings, Stats
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Auburn fired their Offensive Coordinator Tony Franklin today after just 6 games. Yikes.

Auburn jettisons offensive coordinator Franklin - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings, Stats

The two most dangerous sports jobs in football: Raiders head coach and a cordinator for Tommy Tubberville.

I like Tommy, and he has definitely been good for Auburn. But there is no one who'll throw a coach under a bus faster than Tubberville.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sigh. Now Auburn will go back to an offense they understand. Just in time to play us. I had hope.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

They have to realize that a long term commitment is required to switch to that offense. There were some Mizzou fans who wanted to boot Pinkel after the first two years of the spread offense flopped. Most of us are now quite glad they waited it out.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Exactly. I'm actually quite pleased with the patience being shown to Petrino in a very similar situation. Things are obviously not going swimmingly in our situation at Arkansas, but we know that it will take some time and are willing to wait it out because we are convinced that the results will be fantastic if we do.

I think Auburn is making a big mistake, actually, and it might hurt them in the short term as well as not paying off in the long term.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Home Game 4 vs. Gardner-Webb
11 OCT 2008 at 03:30pm
Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field

Price Type Price Level Qty Price Fee Cost
------------------------- ----------- --- -------- --------- ----------
Upper North Special RESERVED 4 12.00 0.00 48.00
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Home Game 4 vs. Gardner-Webb
11 OCT 2008 at 03:30pm
Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field

Price Type Price Level Qty Price Fee Cost
------------------------- ----------- --- -------- --------- ----------
Upper North Special RESERVED 4 12.00 0.00 48.00

Should be a good, close game.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They have to realize that a long term commitment is required to switch to that offense. There were some Mizzou fans who wanted to boot Pinkel after the first two years of the spread offense flopped. Most of us are now quite glad they waited it out.

Tommy should have known that, and never tried this in the first place. Auburn is not a place that has patience, especially with a "pass first" attack that would not be popular with the fans.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Should be a good, close game.

Better than staying home & watching you-know-who vs you-know-who

In all seriousness though, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing today.
I got a discount-seats-available email from the mailing list, was curious, and realized that it was as good a chance to surprise my son with something unexpected on the cheap as I was going to get. And he had been bumming that we weren't going to the HS game this week because it's hell to drive from here to Cobb Co. on a Friday night for a game that ought to be a blowout well before halftime. Realizing, for the first time because I just never thought about it before, that my dad had never been to a game at Grant Field in spite of lifelong fan support of GT kind of sealed it as something that needed to be done. The 4th ticket is for my niece, who could care less about the game but wasn't going to miss a chance to see a college band - any college band - do their halftime show. (she's a HS trumpet player hoping to make drum major next year as a senior)
Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Realizing, for the first time because I just never thought about it before, that my dad had never been to a game at Grant Field in spite of lifelong fan support of GT kind of sealed it as something that needed to be done.

I took my grandfather and father to a college football game a year ago. Grandfather hadn't been to a college football game in 50 years. He had a blast. Great stuff. You'll have a good time with all three generations going to the game.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

I miss Hayden Fry.

Big weekend. If anyone has missed Missouri play, watch them. They are my favorites to win the national championship. They are so fast on offense and Daniels just doesnt miss. They are fun to watch.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #27
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Big weekend. If anyone has missed Missouri play, watch them. They are my favorites to win the national championship. They are so fast on offense and Daniels just doesnt miss. They are fun to watch.

What do you think of their defense?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

Mizzou's defense is just fine, though it seems to be your personal crusade to bad-mouth it any chance you get. Outside of the 2nd half of the Illinois game where our backup CB got torched several times, the defense has played just fine. With our offensive firepower, it's likely we'll win if the defense holds the other team to 30 points or less. Oklahoma State is a very good test for our defense. I'm pretty sure that they'll come out just fine.

I suppose that the main consolation for most Mizzou fans would be that Lee Corso agrees with you. That likely means you're dead wrong.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-09-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When you run the spread offense, your defense is out on the field much more than if you ran another offense.

We're winning.. and that's all I really care about.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Touche.

Clemson-Wake tonight. Anyone have any idea what's going to happen? I'll predict close Wake win, but even though they're ranked higher and at home if Clemson shows up they could win going away. Is it too soon for Clemson's yearly turnaround?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #31
timmynausea
College Starter

It's a tough call when a perpetual underachiever plays a perpetual overachiever, but I think Wake will take it.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
GrantDawg

Quote:
Better than staying home & watching you-know-who vs you-know-who

In all seriousness though, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing today.
I got a discount-seats-available email from the mailing list, was curious, and realized that it was as good a chance to surprise my son with something unexpected on the cheap as I was going to get. And he had been bumming that we weren't going to the HS game this week because it's hell to drive from here to Cobb Co. on a Friday night for a game that ought to be a blowout well before halftime. Realizing, for the first time because I just never thought about it before, that my dad had never been to a game at Grant Field in spite of lifelong fan support of GT kind of sealed it as something that needed to be done. The 4th ticket is for my niece, who could care less about the game but wasn't going to miss a chance to see a college band - any college band - do their halftime show. (she's a HS trumpet player hoping to make drum major next year as a senior)

Ought to be a great game for you and the family then. Have fun!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

I used to think it was average. But then I saw the time of possession. The defense is on the field much more then the offense. Plus, why do you need a defense when your team is averaging 53+ points a game?
I am by no means a Missouri fan. I still think they are punks for bailing out on the Iowa contract to play Sister Mary's School of the Blind (which I believe they lost to). But, man, the speed of this team is unreal.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF got into Houston & UAB?

20-3 UAB at the half
45-20 Houston final.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #35
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass representing at our tailgates
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/10/08/skinny_dipping_sports_fan_charged_with_kneeing_cop/
AMHERST, Mass.—A tailgater skinny dipping inside a truck bed at a University of Massachusetts football game has been charged with assault for allegedly kneeing a campus police officer in the groin after being told to get out of the water.

Deputy Chief Patrick Archbald said 21-year-old Marshal D.P. Keating of Edgewater, N.J., was among several fans splashing around in the back of a pickup truck before Saturday's game against the University of Delaware.
When police told them to stop, Keating initially refused to get out. Archbald says he then approached the officer and kneed him twice in the groin.
The officer, whom Archbald did not name, was given morphine at a hospital. He could miss up to two weeks of work.
Keating is charged with assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Is it too soon for Clemson's yearly turnaround?

If I didn't say it here, then I said it somewhere else... I figured Clemson would lose last night, then run the table. They'll finish a game out of the top of the ACC yet again, but they'll finish well enough to save Tommy Bowden's job yet again.

Clemson is possibly the worst coached team in major college football. Well, they could at least give Tennessee a run for its money.

Last edited by Butter : 10-10-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #37
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If I didn't say it here, then I said it somewhere else... I figured Clemson would lose last night, then run the table. They'll finish a game out of the top of the ACC yet again, but they'll finish well enough to save Tommy Bowden's job yet again.

Clemson is possibly the worst coached team in major college football. Well, they could at least give Tennessee a run for its money.

Dont count on that.
President Barker flew back last night from a west coast engagement.
He, AD Terry Don Phillips, and "high ranking" School officials are in a marathon meeting right now.
Bowden is done, the question is how soon and who replaces in the interim
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #38
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Dont count on that.
He, AD Terry Don Phillips, and "high ranking" School officials are in a marathon meeting right now.

Any written sources or just word of mouth?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Any written sources or just word of mouth?

wild ass speculation
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #40
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Dont count on that.

I hope you are right, man. I have had enough of this. My wife, as an alum, has DEFINITELY had enough of it too.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I havent missed a game in person in 5 years.
Home or away.
Ive been to Boston to Tallahassee hell even to Boise Idaho

But I will not be in the stadium again until a change is made.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #42
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
wild ass speculation

Gotcha...I was looking for a little more substance so if I wrote something I could have a source.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #43
Celeval
Pro Starter

Great news! I'd much rather get brand new defensive coaches in a week before GT plays Clemson.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Gotcha...I was looking for a little more substance so if I wrote something I could have a source.

PM sent
Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PM sent

Are you sure you sent it to the right person? Didn't get it yet.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #46
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are you sure you sent it to the right person? Didn't get it yet.

got a phone call in the middle of typing should be there now....
Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #47
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you
Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #48
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For you bettors out there. Is it just me or is Wisconsin a 6 point home dog a crazy line?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #49
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Mississippi State +3 seems like the best bet to me.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #50
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Mississippi State +3 seems like the best bet to me.

Funny, as I thought Vanderbilt -3 was pretty good.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote