Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

NFL: Saints OT Kyle Turley Traded to Rams.

The Saints traded OT Kyle Turley to the Rams for a 2nd round pick in next years draft.

Saints | Turley Traded to Rams - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
15:43 PT: The New Orleans Saints have announced that they have traded OT Kyle Turley to the St. Louis Rams for a second-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Personally, I thought the Saints would hold out until closer to the draft and try to get more for Turley....and as much as I used to like him, I must say I am happy to see him go after what he has said this offseason. This also appears to really give the Rams a lot of leverage in negotiating with Pace (if they want to keep him). Any Rams fans here? What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Doug5984 : 03-21-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A #2 (and a potential low one at that) next year is not what I had in mind--a high #2 this year would have been much better. (And Houston may be kicking themselves at some point next year when David Carr is sacked another 8,000 times.) But Turley is a head case, and that hurt his trade value. It will be interesting to see what happens with Pace--I'm sure he's out of StL. now, but with his crazy contract demands, I can't see who would want to trade for him.

So, with a bucket of cap cash to spend and some picks this and next year with which to play, I hope the Saints can trade for Tebucky Jones. We need a safety in the worse way (of course, we just let a ball hawking pro bowl saftey slip away in FA this year, but that's another story).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

From nlf.kffl.com

Re: Saints and Jones

"Agent Gary Wichard and Saints GM Mickey Loomis are close enough to a contract accord that a five-year deal could be finished quickly if the teams agree on compensation."

Couldn't you say that about all contract negotiations? It's all decided except for how much money we are going to pay him. . .
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
dola--

From nlf.kffl.com

Re: Saints and Jones

"Agent Gary Wichard and Saints GM Mickey Loomis are close enough to a contract accord that a five-year deal could be finished quickly if the teams agree on compensation."

Couldn't you say that about all contract negotiations? It's all decided except for how much money we are going to pay him. . .

I think it means that the Saints and Tebucky are close enough to agreeing on a contract that if the Saints & Pats can agree on the compensation we will give the Pats for Tebucky.....I could just see us giving the Pats that # 2 pick next year from the Rams for him, and I would be very happy with that deal.

Edit: Also, Buddy D in new orleans (870 am) is reporting the Saints are very close to improving the seoncdary, i got that from a saints forum..so take it for what it is worth...

and another Edit....ESPN is now reporting that Turley has already agreed to a contract extension with the rams that is a 5 year $26.5 million deal, that includes 12 million in guaranteed money

Last edited by Doug5984 : 03-21-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Oh . . . I competely misread that quote.

Even if we give the Pats that #2 and one of our #3's this year, I would be cool with the deal. It is an interesting dynamic because if we don't trade, the Pats may have to release him outright and we may just sign him anyway. But, the Pats may have another team willing to trade with them, and we really can't afford to assume that they don't.

This is why I find the NFL offseason so much more interesting than other league's offseasons.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

Do you think that Turley and Martz/Warner will get along?

$12 million is a lot of guaranteed money for a guy who just a couple of weeks ago was bashing his current team.