Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which game will you buy?
FM 2009 18 32.73%
WWSM 2009 16 29.09%
Not sure which one yet 6 10.91%
I don't intend to buy either game this year 14 25.45%
I'd rather spend my money on some high quality trout 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

FM vs. WWSM: Which will you buy?

Once again the FM/WWSM release date is near. I know that the game itself is the same but there are those who will only buy FM because apparently some mods are FM-only and also because some have said that patches are released for FM first (not sure on this though). So, which will you buy this year, FM or WWSM? Why?

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'll pay $10-15 more for FM over WWSM due to being able to use third-party programs and getting patches sooner but if it turns out to be more than $20 difference I'll probably get WWSM again this year. This is also assuming the two versions release on the same day. If the UK version is out a week or more sooner, it would negate the extra shipping time required which is is one of the downsides for choosing FM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Voted for no buy this year because I got 2008 and never played it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Shepp
High School Varsity

FM...I was in the "no buy" camp but 3D match engine is to much to resist.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
FM...I was in the "no buy" camp but 3D match engine is to much to resist.

You are aware that both games have the 3D match engine, right?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Shepp
High School Varsity

I really never considered WWSM as an option. When the day arrives that the patches arrive at the same time as FM, then I will consider it.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i gotta figure this out sometime soon
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I thought someone said (in the earlier FM 09 thread) that the patches for FM and WWSM came out at the same time last year.

EDIT: Searched and Sweed said they came out the same day, so blame him if this is wrong.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-02-2008 at 08:04 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I thought someone said (in the earlier FM 09 thread) that the patches for FM and WWSM came out at the same time last year.

EDIT: Searched and Sweed said they came out the same day, so blame him if this is wrong.

If this is true I see no reason to pay more for FM since all logo and face packs should work for WWSM as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
If this is true I see no reason to pay more for FM since all logo and face packs should work for WWSM as well.

They do (or at least have the times I've used them). It's just putting images into the correct directory. It's the 3rd party editors that don't work sometimes (they look specifically for the FM directories).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
path12
Coordinator

Not sure yet but since WWSM will likely be cheaper and since I only download logos and skins I'll probably get that again. I had no problems with it for 08.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I really never considered WWSM as an option. When the day arrives that the patches arrive at the same time as FM, then I will consider it.

I have wwsm 2008 and the patches did come out at the same time as FM last year. Miles posted before release last year that this would be the case barring any technical difficulties. The only slow down was there were less people posting mirrors for wwsm, not surprising. But the SI servers were noticeably faster and I had no problem getting the download completed in a matter of minutes.

Ter posted in response to me that this is their goal again for this year. I'm guessing Sega has pushed this after all of the complaints and the many US players stating they, like you, would not support wwsm because of the different patch release times.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'll pay $10-15 more for FM over WWSM due to being able to use third-party programs and getting patches sooner but if it turns out to be more than $20 difference I'll probably get WWSM again this year. This is also assuming the two versions release on the same day. If the UK version is out a week or more sooner, it would negate the extra shipping time required which is is one of the downsides for choosing FM.

best price I ever found for FM was £24.95 + £4 for shipping, so let's say £29 or about $51.28 while you can get WWSM for $30 with free shipping. Amazon even had WWSM2008 at some sort of low price around Xmas time last year, like $10 or $20.

As for patches, yup, they all came out on the same day last year...

FM
Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Same boat here. I was going to import FM this year as Amazons initial price was $39.99. However now importing FM would cost me approx $60-65. From amazon WWSM approx $34 shipped. I went with wwsm
Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Preordered WWSM from Amazon.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I voted for no buy right now as I'm still playing WWSM 08 quite a bit. If there were to be a sale over the holidays that drops it to a lower price, I might consider a purchase. But right now, I've invested 25 years of coaching (game years of course) into WWSM '08 and I'm really into this universe and its players.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #17
Sgran
High School Varsity

Oops. I hit FM, but didn't realize there was a "not this year" option. I will buy the game when the price drops, whether that's next year or the year after.
To give you some idea of my habits, I just bought OOTP 2008 when I found out it was 20 bucks.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just noticed that Amazon.com lists November 1 as the WWSM release date despite the fact that I've read November 14 just about everywhere else. Any idea what's going on there?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk why amazon lists that, but i'm ordering tonight now that i got my new credit card in the mail

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-08-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

FM
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
idk why amazon lists that, but i'm ordering tonight now that i got my new credit card in the mail

Which game?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - WWSM
Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am still getting lots of mileage out of 2008, should last me until next years version.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I refuse to answer this poll until it is in the Soccer Text Sims forum. I like structure and order, this poll is creating chaos.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I refuse to answer this poll until it is in the Soccer Text Sims forum. I like structure and order, this poll is creating chaos.

One big forum ftw, bring the soccer and baseball text-sim threads back into off topic.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
One big forum ftw, bring the soccer and baseball text-sim threads back into off topic.

+1

End the segregation, end the madness!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You could just grab it from Steam you know:

Steam News
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I like the new forums, when they are used for the stuff they are meant for. Like this.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
gi
College Prospect

Quote:

Same here, probably wait until later this year and pick up the FM version.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

FM and wait for the first patch
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk how you people can wait

FM-arrival day is like my Christmas. Shit no, it's better than my Christmas.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-10-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Just got an email from Amazon pushing back the release date for WWSM.

Release date: 11/18/2008
Estimated arrival date: 12/02/2008 - 12/08/2008
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
idk how you people can wait

FM-arrival day is like my Christmas. Shit no, it's better than my Christmas.
I can wait because I always end up shelving the game until at least one patch is out, which can be a month or two after release.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I see Pumpy. I usually use the first month or two to just mess-around in-game and make sure that I understand all of the nuances of the new additions, that way when the patch is released I'm ready to hit the ground running with my serious-career with a minimum of screwups.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #35
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I can wait because I always end up shelving the game until at least one patch is out, which can be a month or two after release.

Have past releases been unplayable until patched? If so, I haven't noticed this, although I typically only play a very small career with a handful of leagues/nations active.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Have past releases been unplayable until patched? If so, I haven't noticed this, although I typically only play a very small career with a handful of leagues/nations active.
No, it's not that the game is unplayable. It's just that there are sometimes big thiings like contracts getting out of whack or a significant flaw in the match engine, and I don't particularly want to take a chance on those things affecting my game. I'm sure you know that the patch changelists are usually huge, and while very few (if any) of the fixed bugs are something I'd notice, I'd just rather wait until they're fixed before I try to play.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They haven't been unplayable. Far from it really. The bugs tend to be minimal, or to be in such odd situations that you'd rarely notice them (ie "all Serbian strikers born on July 23rd have abnormally high speed+acceleration"). Nothing that really renders the game UNPLAYABLE, although there have been issues in the past where GK's maybe don't come out to challenge breakaway's soon enough, leading to breakaways resulting in an abnormally high # of goals (but how many places in the standings will that cost you over the course of a season all other things being equal?). Stuff like that.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #38
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

In past releases a lot of the more annoying bugs have been match engine related. Although I have not played FM Live, I hear the match engine has been beefed up a lot from FM 08 through continuous fine-tuning of that game, and that FM 09 will benefit from that. So hopefully this means a better experience for those who buy the game day one/week one this year.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I voted for WWSM, is it to late to change my vote?

Someone on the SI boards just posted a link to buying FM2009 from a US based company, GoGamer.com. Pre-order price $27.90, add $4.99 for priority USPS delivery (3-5 days) for a grand total of $32.89

Here's the link..
GoGamer.com

I know WWSM and FM are the same game but still have to say I'm excited to get my first "real McCoy" FM. Beats the hell out of the $55-$65 I was thinking about spending importing from the UK. Only drawback is according to the site they aren't releasing\shipping until Nov 17 so I'll be waiting an extra week to play. I can live with that
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #40
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice find there. It only comes out three days later than in the UK so once shipping is factored in you'll get it around the same time as you would importing while paying an American price.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
You could just grab it from Steam you know:

Steam News

Sigh. Looks like its WWSM on Steam here in the States, so you still have the choice to make.