Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Joel Osteen

Has anyone listened to this guy? With all of the religious threads lately, I wonder what people's opinions of him are. I really enjoy his podcasts quite a bit and before you take that the wrong way I'd like to state that I don't believe in God. I find his podcasts dually entertaining because he is a great public speaker and his message is that of a psychologist as opposed to a minister. When he says "Don't let anyone steal your joy; you can only change you, not other people," it's a message of universal truth as opposed to a message of a God. I also find it entertaining how he weaves in a Christian God into his messages.

While I find it repulsive that he's a televangelist and he uses people to get rich, I also have to admire the manner and chutzpah in which he does it. His messages are essentially good advice, perhaps if you take the religious flavor out of it, so it is worthwhile to listen.

I'm wondering if any of you have heard of this guy or have any opinions about him.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The whole prosperity theology business is so fraudulent.

But sure, in a non-sectarian, make you feel good sort of way, whatever floats.

Just don't send him any of your money.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-01-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I find him interesting and watch his show whenever I get the chance but I would never send him a dime.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Forgot to add, doesn't he look like Tim Allen?

I wouldn't send him a dime either. There are enough fools out there that do.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Arent you guys indirectly lining his pockets by watching him or downloading his podcasts?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think of Genesis (the rock group) and "Jesus He Knows Me" when I think of the guys.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Forgot to add, doesn't he look like Tim Allen?

I didn't realize it until this post but I actually have one of his books. I didn't finish it, and don't remember what I thought of it. I guess it wasn't too impressive.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
and before you take that the wrong way I'd like to state that I don't believe in God.

Thats ok, Gods a Cowboys fan , and he gets sick glee out of watching the raiders franchise

and Joel Osteen cant carry his old mans jockstrap

Last edited by bulletsponge : 10-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I would use more caution before so casually suggesting that he's a con man or false preacher. When your church averages 40k + people and you write best selling books, an abundant life may be hard to avoid. While I'm no more an expert on him than any of you, Ive listened to some of his podcasts and tv sermons and find nothing objectionable about his messages or general aura. There is nothing in the bible that says Christians or preachers must live poor, and Ive always believed they should live around the level of their members.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

I loved Haley Joel Osteen when he played that little kid n Forrest Gump!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
I would use more caution before so casually suggesting that he's a con man or false preacher. When your church averages 40k + people and you write best selling books, an abundant life may be hard to avoid. While I'm no more an expert on him than any of you, Ive listened to some of his podcasts and tv sermons and find nothing objectionable about his messages or general aura. There is nothing in the bible that says Christians or preachers must live poor, and Ive always believed they should live around the level of their members.

He's a motivational speaker who happens to be behind a pupil every Sunday. He had zero desire to be a pastor, but was thrown into the role after his Dad died. He spent zero time in seminary and he would admit that it's a weak point with him. Anybody with credible theology is going to have a field day with him.

Mass people coming to your church and best selling books don't mean a lot. TV preachers have done it before as well. The fact that he puts forth a non-offensive message is part of the reason why a number of Christians have an issue with him. He intentionally and deliberately avoids talking about sin on any real level. It's much more on the positive about how God wants to bless you.

He doesn't even remotely live around the level of his members even without taking in pay from the church. He makes so much money outside of it that his pay goes elsewhere. I'll give you one guess as to who's name is on the contract for the building that they use for the church, which is an older sport stadium. Hint, it's not the church's.

He's not as bad as say, Benny Hinn, but he's nowhere near what I would seek out in terms of preaching. Nationally known speakers who I would much rather listen to include Mark Driscoll and John Piper.

(skips rant about having your church be via a TV versus a local community)

Last edited by Matthean : 10-02-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
He's a motivational speaker who happens to be behind a pupil every Sunday. He had zero desire to be a pastor, but was thrown into the role after his Dad died. He spent zero time in seminary and he would admit that it's a weak point with him. Anybody with credible theology is going to have a field day with him.

Mass people coming to your church and best selling books don't mean a lot. TV preachers have done it before as well. The fact that he puts forth a non-offensive message is part of the reason why a number of Christians have an issue with him. He intentionally and deliberately avoids talking about sin on any real level. It's much more on the positive about how God wants to bless you.

He doesn't even remotely live around the level of his members even without taking in pay from the church. He makes so much money outside of it that his pay goes elsewhere. I'll give you one guess as to who's name is on the contract for the building that they use for the church, which is an older sport stadium. Hint, it's not the church's.

He's not as bad as say, Benny Hinn, but he's nowhere near what I would seek out in terms of preaching. Nationally known speakers who I would much rather listen to include Mark Driscoll and John Piper.

(skips rant about having your church be via a TV versus a local community)

From what I know of him, I'd put him on the "least dangerous" list of these kinds of preachers. He has an ego (ie. the church named after him) but I've known very few successful preachers that didn't. And I've known some very good "legacy" preachers (sons of preachers whose name open doors), who had very little traditional education but were still very capable. I've also known some really bad ones as well.

I used to be really concerned about the "fluff" preachers, but since I burned out, I don't judge them quite as harshly. I do think they help people who need incouragement and uplifting. They reach some people in a way that harsher preaching would not.

I promise you there are plenty in the pews every Sunday of the "hellfire and brimstone" churches that could really use a more life-changing sermon. They need messages that actally affect their lives, instead the "you tell 'em, preacher" mentality. I learned in my time preaching, people love to hear what they already agree with, but give something they actually need and they balk like a 3 year-old in front of brussell sprouts. And, at least in my experience, it is not the tough sermons on sin they balk at. It is the real need for life-changing attitudes and true Christian love.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
He's a motivational speaker who happens to be behind a pupil every Sunday.

So, he's Catholic?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I promise you there are plenty in the pews every Sunday of the "hellfire and brimstone" churches that could really use a more life-changing sermon.

I'm equally against hellfire and brimstone churches as well.

Interestingly enough, my church doesn't have one pastor who preaches nearly all of the sermons, but it's done by a group of guys that do a lopsided rotation. Two of the pastors take the bulk of the sermons and then the others fill in as needed. One of the others is the worship leader so he's usually busy with that. During the summer they do a summer long series that they have someone preach a single sermon, so they end up using 8+ different speakers. Styles range from the nearly 60 year old pastor who is straight forward to the one who is barefoot, eyebrow pierced and using his iPhone for part of his notes.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Klinglerware
College Starter

Not directly related to Osteen, but I saw this Time article posted on CNN. Might be a bit overstated, but the suggestion seems to be that the era of lax credit standards and non-traditional mortgages added "fuel to the fire" to prosperity theology's message that if you had faith (and perhaps a donation to give), God will work financial miracles for you no matter your current economic situation.

It definitely does not sound far-fetched to conceive of someone struggling financially/with bad credit viewing an introduction to an alternative mortgage broker (and subsequent mortgage approval) as intervention from God.

Foreclosures: Did God Want You to Get That Mortgage? - TIME
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The first time I heard of him, I heard him defend his use of a limo by saying, "If Jesus was here today, he wouldn't be riding around on a donkey."

Nice.

Then I saw his wife.

Nice.

Then she went ape shit and made a scene on a first class flight to Aspen on Christmas.

God wants you to ski at Christmas.

She was sued, but she won the case.

Good lawyers.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote