Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bengals sign Cedric Benson

Sure he wasn't indicted but he had two alcohol charges in a month .. I mean really Cinncy? The last thing this team needs is even more bad PR.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

The Cowboys are DOOMED!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

What the team really needs is a running game. not that Benson can help with THAT either. I'm assuming someone got hurt and we needed a FA.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

What about Shaun Alexander?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

This could turn into the worst season in Bengals History. And the worst part is, I'm not even sure where to begin fixing it.

The O-line has quality players
The skill players are above average
the Defense as a whole unit are playing damn well

The QB is hurt and there is absolutely NO chemistry on offense at all.

How do you fix timing and chemistry???

just fucking shoot me. I see Dallas putting up 50+ points and gaining less than 200 yards of ofense due to turnovers in our own end all day long.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thats so perfect it is indescribable
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Shaun just hasn't been able to play since the injury bug hit him, I don't think he's even tried out for any teams has he? this year anyway?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

Cut Chad Johnson and don't re sign Chris Henry behind your coachs back would be a good start
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

His arrest record really isn't developed enough. Maybe another offseason or two and he could work his way onto the bengals radar.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Cut Chad Johnson and don't re sign Chris Henry behind your coachs back would be a good start

Henry hasn't even played yet, he was serving his suspension, he's back for the Dallas game. Chad's been stuck in one spot on the field and been double and triple covered on almost every play. Can't really blame him for it either. Off the field and ON the field everyone's been saying nothing but good things about chad thus far, he's basically shut his mouth and played ball.

Try again No really, keep trying, I would LOVE to figure this out....
Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
This could turn into the worst season in Bengals History. And the worst part is, I'm not even sure where to begin fixing it.

just fucking shoot me. I see Dallas putting up 50+ points and gaining less than 200 yards of ofense due to turnovers in our own end all day long.

Y'all should start JP...

Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shaun just hasn't been able to play since the injury bug hit him, I don't think he's even tried out for any teams has he? this year anyway?

FWIW, he and Benson came in to visit the Lions a couple weeks ago, and Alexander was the only one to go through a work out.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

The O-Line USED to have quality players. Either they've stopped being quality or they're just playing like shit. The line has gone from a strength to a liability.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Henry hasn't even played yet, he was serving his suspension, he's back for the Dallas game. Chad's been stuck in one spot on the field and been double and triple covered on almost every play. Can't really blame him for it either. Off the field and ON the field everyone's been saying nothing but good things about chad thus far, he's basically shut his mouth and played ball.

Try again No really, keep trying, I would LOVE to figure this out....

you honestly dont think Chad's antics and the players having to constantly answer questions about them didn't distract them in the pre season?

And do you really think ownership basicly sticking it to Lewis by re signing Henry hasn't had an effect on Lewis and the way the team perceives him?

I've watched alot of Bengels games the last few years and this team has quit on Lewis, they have way to much talent to play like this.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They won't do anything this bold, but I'd like to see them make some trades before the deadline. Both TJ and Stacey Andrews are unlikely to be back next year and I think they might be able to get a second rounder each. With the roster cuts they may also be able to afford trading Ocho.

The coaching staff has to go, although I'd like to see the new coach keep Zimmer as I think he's a very good coordinator.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

From what I've read about Alexander is that he's (finally) 100% healthy and feels he's in the best shape he's been since his MVP season. Whether that's true or not who knows, but I really hope the guy gets another crack at it. Also sounds like he realizes that his next chance won't just be handed to him and that it might take a while for him to catch on somewhere.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Is Vick out yet 'cause I hear Palmer might not be ready for the Dallas game...
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Benson huh? good.. I am happy and so is my wife.. He aint a bad person. Wish it was someplace else than Cinci but eh, its a job......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Is Vick out yet 'cause I hear Palmer might not be ready for the Dallas game...

I'm getting there.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
His arrest record really isn't developed enough. Maybe another offseason or two and he could work his way onto the bengals radar.

Nice.......The Cowboys won't touch him with a 10-foot pole yet.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Nice.......The Cowboys won't touch him with a 10-foot pole yet.

Charles Haley is retired.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Charles Haley is masturbating.

Fixed.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This could turn into the worst season in Bengals History.

Now, that's crazy talk.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Now, that's crazy talk.

Is it? have you looked at the way this team is playing on offense? and the schedule they're up against?

The Rams could beat us. Last years Dolphins.....naw...no one is that bad...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
you honestly dont think Chad's antics and the players having to constantly answer questions about them didn't distract them in the pre season?

And do you really think ownership basicly sticking it to Lewis by re signing Henry hasn't had an effect on Lewis and the way the team perceives him?

I've watched alot of Bengels games the last few years and this team has quit on Lewis, they have way to much talent to play like this.

But thats just it, Chad hasn't said or done anything since the whole name change stuff ocurred during pre season. He's been a non entity.

As for Henry, the other players always loved Henry, he worked his ass off and performed on the field. His problem was OFF the field.

I'm beginning to agree with you on the "Lewis has lost this team" bit. I think somehing has to happen to wake these players up that this is the big time and they have to get off their fatcat asses and play some football.

The giants game looked good, but how can you go from taking the defending champs to task like that to the uter shit game they played against cleveland...FUCKING CLEVELAND...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #26
rowech
Pro Starter

My thoughts...

1. I like the way the defense is playing against the run right now. Now, they need to figure out a way to rush the passer.

2. Marvin Lewis should have been fired after the 2006 season but by waiting and not even doing it after last season, the window has closed.

3. The offensive line is horribly slow at the tackle positions and any defensive end with quickness is going to tear apart Palmer.

4. The team jumped the gun on releasing Henry. My opinion, they owe it to him. I think he'll blow it but they released him without any kind of evidence that he had done anything wrong with his last chance.

5. They'll be lucky to win four games this year. Chad's pouting, Palmer doesn't seem to have the clout he needs to have to get guys behind him, the O-Line has problems, and the list could go on.

6. Bengals blew it by passing up two #1s for Chad Johnson. He's going to start aging quickly and there are constant signs that he can't do anything against good teams.

7. I hate being a Bengals fan and it's not going to get better until Mike Brown kicks the bucket, sells the team, or is willing to hire a coach and give him full control.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Is it? have you looked at the way this team is playing on offense? and the schedule they're up against?

The Rams could beat us. Last years Dolphins.....naw...no one is that bad...

I'm just saying, the Bengals have set the bar pretty high from a worst-season-ever standpoint. You've got a whole bunch of 4 wins or less seasons to choose from, including at least two just from the past decade, or so, if memory serves.

Not trying to rub salt in the wound (well, maybe I am), but saying this could be the worst season in your history doesn't seem realistic to me. If nothing else, this team should break out at least a few games this years and score some points. Those skill players can't possibly play this poorly all year.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
But thats just it, Chad hasn't said or done anything since the whole name change stuff ocurred during pre season. He's been a non entity.

As for Henry, the other players always loved Henry, he worked his ass off and performed on the field. His problem was OFF the field.

what happened in the preseason obviously carried over into the regular season and Chad wasnt ready to play.

What Henry does on the field doesnt matter, what the team did sends an awefull message to the rest of the team.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-30-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
what happened in the preseason obviously carried over into the regular season and Chad wasnt ready to play.

What Henry does on the field doesnt matter, what the team did sends an awefull message to the rest of the team.

To be frank here, you're wrong. At least as to why chad isn't ready to play. Its not the antics, its not the BS, he was hurt all offseason, had surgery, thats why he wasn't ready to play and I think psychologically its hurting him far more because he's not confident in himself right now.

As for the message it sends, see another post or two above this, Henry had issues, henry then got wrongly accused and dumped by Mike Brown without evidence of wrong doing, yes, he brought that situation on himself, but Henry's off field antics never caused issues in the bengals locker room or on the field. Hell Marvin championed the boy all along. To get him back is a WIN for Lewis.

As much as this board loves playing the "team full of shit bags" card for the on field performance it simply is not the real issue.

Piss poor coaching on offense, terrible playcalling, and lackluster play by the entire offensive line are the things I've really narrowed it down to in my head.

I agree with someone's comment above that Palmer isn't the firey take charge "this is MY team" sort of leader that perhaps these douchebags need. We haven't had anyone like that on this team since Boomer left. Before him you have to go all the way back to Reggie Williams and Ross Browner as the take names and kick ass guys way back in the early 80's.

I'm so tired of the seeming lack of WILL to win, not the ability, these players have shown the ability to win games in the past, mostly its an attitude and a willingness to go out and lay some smack down on someone to get it done

Which comes back to coaching. Its a weakness. I'm not certain its Marvin though. I think the Offensive coaching staff needs chucked and replaced. I've said that for a few years now. Bratkowski has never been a long term answer for any team he's been affiliated with. his schemes get stale very quickly.

blah. I'm almost afraid to watch the Dallas game.....but I have to, its like that sick fascination with a multi-car train, semi-truck wreck with 40 dead and body parts lying around. It sickens you but you just have to stare.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Don't forget I liver in Cinci for 2 years and you are in denial, they are a team of shit bags and everything I have seen is that Lewis didn't want Henry back and his resigning undermines him.

It amazes me how you dont see a correlation between the offseason/ training camp/ off the field issues and the horrible start they have had.

That being said you are entitled to your opinion.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

As for the possible worst season, if they DO NOT improve offensively and start scoring 24+ a game then we're looking at 0-14 leading into the final 2 games with Cleveland and KC. We already lost to CLeveland and KC has shown significant improvement.

This could be the first winless 16 game season in NFL history.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't forget I liver in Cinci for 2 years and you are in denial, they are a team of shit bags and everything I have seen is that Lewis didn't want Henry back and his resigning undermines him.

It amazes me how you dont see a correlation between the offseason/ training camp/ off the field issues and the horrible start they have had.

That being said you are entitled to your opinion.

I see a correlation between offseason/training camp and the problems, definitely. What I don't believe is that the off field issues are a significant contributor to those problems, I think you simply see nothing beyond a team of shitbags and assume the media knows everything and believe the overhyped stuff. I don't assume that. I assume the media overstates everything and far more basic issues are the real problem.

but as you say, its a matter of opinion.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

As an example lathum:

Dallas is a team full of shitbags and losers too, but on the field they perform, they have a stronger coaching staff and leadership system than Cincinnati. If Dallas lost every game they had left would it be all terrell owens and pac-man jones fault?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
As an example lathum:

Dallas is a team full of shitbags and losers too, but on the field they perform, they have a stronger coaching staff and leadership system than Cincinnati. If Dallas lost every game they had left would it be all terrell owens and pac-man jones fault?

the fact they are shitbags doesnt effect the Bengals on the field, except for when it keeps them off the field. It is the way upper managment screwed Lewis IMO that has caused him to lose the players. It's not like Lewis has forgoten how to coach, it's that the players dont listen to him anymore

And Dallas is a poor example, TO has been a model citiczen there. Lets wait and see if he wrecks that team the way he has every other team he has been on when he doesnt get his way.

Plus PacMan has been there all of 3 games so lets wait on him.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #35
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey Bengals fans,

Any idea why rookie WR Jerome Simpson is not getting into any games? I know he'd be the 3rd WR behind Chad and TJ, but find it hard to believe they wouldn't put him in at all to give him some experience. Now that Henry is off suspension its even less likely he'll play.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
As an example lathum:

Ummm...excuse me? While I have no love for TO, he's behaved himself in his time here. And even if you count him, he, Pacman, and Tank Johnson do NOT equal "a team full of shitbags and losers". In fact, the team is full of good people who do a lot of good in the community...

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-01-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
RendeR
Coordinator

He was active for games 1 and 2 but not for the last 2. No real information as to why at this point. I think he's probably just that low man on the totem pole right now with chatman playing well and Henry due back this week he'll probably end up on the practice squad for the rest of the season.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Ummm...excuse me? While I have no love for TO, he's behaved himself in his time here. And even if you count him, he, Pacman, and Tank Johnson do NOT equal "a team full of shitbags and losers". In fact, the team is full of good people who do a lot of good in the community...

Every NFL player does a lot for their community, its in their contracts, they have to not saying they wouldn't anyway but its a very weak argument Jeebs.

My point was that Dallas isn't a team known for its goodie-two shoes personality. They've always taken in 2 strike players and done very well with them. Thats the comparison I was trying to make. Don;t get all uppity with me because your teams reputation sucks balls
Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

All I'm trying to say is that you can't judge an entire team based on three players who haven't even caused a lick of trouble since they've been in town...

Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Every NFL player does a lot for their community, its in their contracts, they have to not saying they wouldn't anyway but its a very weak argument Jeebs.

My point was that Dallas isn't a team known for its goodie-two shoes personality. They've always taken in 2 strike players and done very well with them. Thats the comparison I was trying to make. Don;t get all uppity with me because your teams reputation sucks balls

But then it's probably not good to make such blanket statements like, "Dallas is a team full of shitbags and losers too," when really you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #41
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would say your comments about Dallas would be more appropriate for the mid-1990s era Cowboys whom had quite a bit of players that were both known , and others who were quietly known as having questionable morales yet still managed to put together quite a heck of a team that won quite alot in that time. I had thought that Dallas had pretty much shaken some of that reputation after most of those guys left.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

bye bye civil discussion about sports
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Here is a interesting "blog article" or whatever you want to call it written regarding what Dallas tried to do in order to clean up its image for those interested.

The False Perception Of The Dallas Cowboys • Everybody's Talkin' - FOX Sports Blogs

It is obviously written by a Cowboys fan, and I feel has some slants or bias to the writing, but since I lived in Dallas in the mid to late 90s, I was there when some of the clean up process had started and know some of the things he writes about were pretty big news stories at the time.

Just an interesting different view on how Dallas went from a team that probably was far worse in the number of sleeze and scumbags compared to today's Bengals, to at least trying to be somewhat respectable.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so ummm, Render, care to alter your stance on Chad?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
so ummm, Render, care to alter your stance on Chad?

Not really, if anything this might be a good sign , shows he's getting frustrated enough to flap his jaws again and that seems to be when he actually plays.

Who knows.

The Bengals thrive on generating the utmost dissapointment.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol

denail aint just a river in Egypt
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #47
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
But then it's probably not good to make such blanket statements like, "Dallas is a team full of shitbags and losers too," when really you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

simmer down rookie, I knew exactly what *I* was saying, I may have let it out in terms that my personal taste for the cowgirls understands best, but the gist of the discussion came through. Get off your high horse and add something to the discussion instead of dragging it further off course.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
lol

denail aint just a river in Egypt

Seriously, at this point I'd let the Buckeyes play our games, they can't do any worse, right?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #49
RendeR
Coordinator

Out for the nihgt, be well john spartans.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fuck Dallas and Cinci, but anyways Shanahan is a fargin trash collecting motherfucker too and nobody calls him out on it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote