Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Where is the best place to live in the US?

Ok, I'm going to preface this with the fact that I actually love it here in Southern California, except for the high cost of living, no seasons, lots of people that live here are rude.

But my wife and I have been talking about where we would move if we decided to get up and go. Help us out and let us know why you like whatever place it is that you think is the best.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't have an answer. I've only lived in two places, and one is impossible to recommend these days, and I don't know enough about the other place to recommend it at all. I wonder how many people here are going to take this question and flip it so they can talk about which places they really, really hate.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I've lived several places, but only in the South. It just depends on what you like. Raliegh is very nice, if you like small town/big town feel. Huntsville as well. Nashville is pretty nice. If I were to move from Atlanta, Nashville and Huntsville tops the list of where I'd go.

And for Pumpy's theory, Memphis is one place I'd never, ever, ever live again. I don't even want to go back and visit.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-25-2008 at 07:18 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
And for Pumpy's theory, Memphis is one place I'd never, ever, ever live again. I don't even want to go back and visit.
If I could have chosen one person to do this, I'd have chosen you. You're cool.

My wife is from Memphis and would probably agree with you on your point, too.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if i were to move, id highly consider austin.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
if i were to move, id highly consider austin.

+1 from my completely unbiased perspective.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

If you're interested in seasons, reasonable cost of living, and nice people, Madison, WI is pretty nice.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
If you're interested in seasons, reasonable cost of living, and nice people, Madison, WI is pretty nice.

Honestly, I'd rather the weather be mild and not have to deal with snow...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

You think they are rude in Southern California, come on up to Silicon Valley. It will blow you away with how rude people are here.

Anyway, I've lived in lots of places in the contiguous portion of America: Maine, California, Florida, Wyoming, Illinois, New Mexico and Texas. Mostly grew up in San Diego though. If I had to pick a place other than San Diego, it would probably be Florida. Most of my family is there and the cost of living hasn't gone through the roof there yet.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
molson
General Manager

All about preferences, of course.

New York City was my favorite. They have more going on in a city block that most cities have in their entire downtown. History, energy, life was just more interesting there. Expensive, but not really that bad as long as you're willing to live without a yard (and not having a car saves a lot of cash).

Juneau, Alaska would be #2 for me for similar reasons - just a spectacular energy about it. When you see 4 cruise ships lined up on your way to work, it does something to your mood - you're living a place people want to spend their vacations.

The "nice" doesn't appeal to me. Boise's a "nice" place to live - lots of jobs, very scenic, very low cost of living. But its just there. I miss being blown away by NYC and Juneau.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
All about preferences, of course.

New York City was my favorite. They have more going on in a city block that most cities have in their entire downtown. History, energy, life was just more interesting there. Expensive, but not really that bad as long as you're willing to live without a yard (and not having a car saves a lot of cash).

Juneau, Alaska would be #2 for me for similar reasons - just a spectacular energy about it. When you see 4 cruise ships lined up on your way to work, it does something to your mood - you're living a place people want to spend their vacations.

The "nice" doesn't appeal to me. Boise's a "nice" place to live - lots of jobs, very scenic, very low cost of living. But its just there. I miss being blown away by NYC and Juneau.

That's something I like about Chicago, too. Today while driving by Wrigley Field I saw this couple taking a picture of it. And in my old apartment, my jogging route would take me pretty close to the John Hancock/Water Tower area, which was packed with tourists. Totally meaningless in terms of actually living there, but pretty cool.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I currently live in Wisconsin. If I had to move, I'd move to Northern California somewhere like Grass Valley.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I was a big fan of Raleigh, NC
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

As much as I don't plan on ever living in my home state again if I can help it, Madison's a pretty decent place. It seems like there's always something going on at any rate.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'll say this: there's a reason I live where I live.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Tasan
College Starter

T

E

X

A

S

Alternatively, anywhere not named Alabama or Mississippi.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

NoCal or Boston/New York - its nice to be in civilization. I've always thought I'd like to give Seattle a shot someday.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

I've lived in The northeast, new England, the south east, Florida (yes those are different), southern california, northern california, and spent time in the mid west as well (Oklahoma, kansas, Colorado)

Far and away I have found the Western NY region (the area ceterd around buffalo/Rochester) to be the most comfortable, affordable and climate friendly of all of them.

Anything south of maryland gets too hot.

Anything West of the Rockies gets too expensive and too assinine and too PC.

New England, while beautiful is full of egotistical asshats who think their shit don't stink. (Not everyone mind you, but its definitely full of them.)

The mid west can be great, if you don;t mind seeing for 15 miles in every direction and a distinct lack of trees in most areas.. Realize I only really saw the deep plains, I never got to live in Moissouri where I know it tends to be quite lush and green.

Southern California has too many issues. pollution, expensive, no seasons, and full of pompous asses.

Beyond all that is weather. Every one of those reagions has some sort of natural disaster waiting to happen. The south gets hurricanes and severe thunderstorms, the west coast has eartchwuakes and mudslide, the mid west tornados. Its like a firing range some years.

Western NY gets...a little snow? This region is so stable when it comes to weather. Temperate in the summer, moderate in the winter, cold in February, then mild again in march....

This is the best place to live in the USA.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Depends a lot on your lifestyle. If you're a hipster douchebag, Portland, Oregon apparently has a lot to offer.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Depends upon what makes you happy with the place you live.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Flasch186
Coordinator

Jacksonville, FL and I can get you a sweet deal on a house.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Depends a lot on your lifestyle. If you're a hipster douchebag, Portland, Oregon apparently has a lot to offer.

QFT
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Here

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #24
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ok, why does everyone think socals lack of seasons is a bad thing? sure, if it was 20 degrees year round, thatd be one thing. but no one here goes "i hate that its 72 and sunny AGAIN"
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #25
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Alternatively, anywhere not named Alabama or Mississippi.

So true
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ok, why does everyone think socals lack of seasons is a bad thing? sure, if it was 20 degrees year round, thatd be one thing. but no one here goes "i hate that its 72 and sunny AGAIN"

I did during my 4 years in LA. I hated the weather's lack of variety. Of course, I'd gladly take that now instead of the weather here in Louisiana, but I'm here for my wife's happiness. If I could go anywhere, it would be where I grew up in Southern Jersey. Moderate temperatures during the winter, but still the occasional bout of snow. Summers aren't too long and I was close enough to drive to Philly and NYC anytime I wanted for fun things to do.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

i would...but even living in a place with "seasons" i still feel that fall isn't long enough.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

it's probably just that if the weather is always the same, you just give up on whining about it
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont know. no humidity, no mosquitos, barely any rain. i get why people say it, but i dont find many people i know "missing" it. rain is a nice idea in theory, but after 5 minutes in it, the novelty wears off and im ready for it to go away again. to each their own.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

Schoolcraft, MI.

Definitely not Bellingdrugspanhandlingham, WA.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #31
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Blacksburg, VA

My wife and I have already agreed that we'll be heading back up there once it's time to retire.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #32
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

When thinking about places to live, I think about the things that would make it a terrible place to live. Too many hurricanes in the southeast. Earthquake potential in the west. Many of the northern states are too cold too much for me.

I've always lived in various parts of Ohio, mostly in Dayton (50 miles north of Cincinnati). I think Ohio would be a solid place to live (especially Columbus). I also think the Chicago area would be a pretty cool area to live. If you want to drift south, then Nashville is a pretty nice city. I honestly wouldn't mind living in Texas. As long as it was away from the hurricane-shenanigans.

Very little chance I'd ever move outside the state, but those are some places that come to mind
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm with you, but I am lifelong SoCal. This is what I know.

I love our twilights/early evenings right now. Just perfectly clear and undisturbed, feels great.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #34
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

My buddies that grew up in the OC swear by it, but I always feel like i am inside a mall when I am in SoCal

TheSloppy made me laugh. Portland is cool because its close to the beach and the mountains and its green all the time. The hipster-douchbaggery is quite intense and is about as consistent as the rain that falls every day from november to Juy.

I'm gonna say somewhere near the northern sierra nevada's or colorado.

My wost places would be Bismark north dakota followed by fresno ca.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If not having to work is an option, then Lake Tahoe is pretty high on my list. As is Angel Fire/Eagles Nest, New Mexico.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #36
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
TheSloppy made me laugh. Portland is cool because its close to the beach and the mountains and its green all the time. The hipster-douchbaggery is quite intense and is about as consistent as the rain that falls every day from november to Juy.

Come to Bellingham, WA. Or anywhere in the western WA (other than Skagit Valley). Portland will seem like South Dakota.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #37
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Charlottesville, VA

Fixed that for you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM   #38
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Far and away I have found the Western NY region (the area ceterd around buffalo/Rochester) to be the most comfortable, affordable and climate friendly of all of them.
You lost me here.
Quote:
"I love seasons. That's why I live in a place that skips the shitty ones."

In all honesty, the towns I've always heard mentioned favorably tend to be college towns in nice areas - Austin (probably #1 from what I've heard), Raleigh, Charlottesville, Nashville, Boulder/Denver - even Amherst/the Pioneer Valley falls in this category. Other ones I've really liked from personal experience are Annapolis (if you're loaded and like sailing), Portland, ME (winter can be questionable) and San Antonio (people keep saying 100+ summer temps are brutal, but coming from MA with the snow and humidity I'd take the tradeoff.) Of course, as everyone else says, it depends on who you are - my sister has worked at Glacier NP the past couple years and loves it, but I couldn't last 3 days in a place that solitary.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #39
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Jacksonville, FL and I can get you a sweet deal on a house.

I actually really like Jacksonville. I just like having a winter of some sort. But, I would live there.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #40
Joe
Pro Starter

Eden Prairie, MN
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Depends upon what makes you happy with the place you live.

Amen. It's such an open ended question. I do like the "I've lived in 50 different places so he's the merits and disadvantages of a few of my favorites". However, we get a lot of answers that come from the "Hey, I lived here and I'm infallible so this must be the best place to live!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

Western NY gets...a little snow? This region is so stable when it comes to weather. Temperate in the summer, moderate in the winter, cold in February, then mild again in march....

From Wikipedia:
"The 30-year annual average snowfall is 95.0 inches (241 cm), making Rochester the snowiest large city in the U.S."

Yeah, just "a little" snow

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #43
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

There is a link somewhere on the board to a site that asks you a bunch of questions and tells you where you should live. I will try to find it later if no one else does.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #44
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
There is a link somewhere on the board to a site that asks you a bunch of questions and tells you where you should live. I will try to find it later if no one else does.

It was findmyspot dot com, but the site is no longer active.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #45
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It was findmyspot dot com, but the site is no longer active.

Actually, it is findyourspot and it is active.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I loved this for the 9 months I was commuting from Chicago to the SF Bay Area for work. Nothing like leaving home in the morning when it was 20 below and the driveway was covered with ice, or when it was 90 with 90% humidity, and always landing to 72 and sunny.

My CA-based co-workers would get real sheepish when they decided to complain about the weather in my presence.

OTOH, for September we've had mostly that kind of weather (sunny and 70s, except for the one weekend of two feet of rain), and I think you appreciate it more when it's not year-round.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #47
Lorena
Unregistered

I get where you're coming from with the rude people in So.Cal Dangarion. I can only really comment on Phoenix and Austin since these are the only 2 places we've lived in.

Phoenix - we didn't like it. 118 degree, dry, stinging hot summers. Touch the car door, your hand gets burnt and red. Open the car door, can't touch the steering wheel or stick cuz it's like an oven in there and you basically drive with 2 fingers (no joke, that's what I did). Although the summers were bad, the rest of the year is actually very nice. As far as entertainment, there's not much to do.

Austin - good cost of living, affordable housing, great school system (not sure about Austin ISD, but the Round Rock one is just awesome), the entertainment here is just great, low crime, and just beautiful. Mild winter and the rest of the year is great... although the upper 90 degree humid summer might be a bit harsh for some, but coming from the nasty Phoenix summer, we adapted nicely. Oh, and no rude people here. I wasn't used to being called "maam", or "Mrs. Marks" so it was a bit of getting used to. No crazy drivers here either, and the traffic doesn't compare to the "Parking Lot" that's the 5.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #48
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

this one maybe http://www.bestplaces.net/fybp/quiz.aspx
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Amen. It's such an open ended question. I do like the "I've lived in 50 different places so he's the merits and disadvantages of a few of my favorites". However, we get a lot of answers that come from the "Hey, I lived here and I'm infallible so this must be the best place to live!"

SI

Ya, the correct answer to this question appears to be "the place I currently live".

I was just reading about that kind of bias in this context and politcs - it's amazing how our brains can see only good in decisions we've already made. It's a healthy psychological trick.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #50
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Not Cleveland

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-26-2008 at 01:19 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote