Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

T Mobile G1

I'm very tempted to upgrade. Plus it's available in Brown as well. 299 with a 2 year extension for any existing customers.

I'm not sure what the hell a "google android" phone is, but this is the first one apparently.

It's going to be a tough call between this and the new Pearl 2.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Google's Android is a new mobile OS that should be showing up on a lot of phones. I believe the new windows mobile has been pushed back, really opening the door for Android.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Google's Android is a new mobile OS that should be showing up on a lot of phones. I believe the new windows mobile has been pushed back, really opening the door for Android.

Windows Mobile 7 has been pushed back to late 09' now. Android is a new mobile OS to compete with Windows Mobile 6.1 and its different dressed up versions (touch flo 3d, etc.). Android is also and open-source code.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I was thinking about it untill I found out that Cincinnati is not one of the 22 cities that will be on their 3G network in October when it comes out.

Metropolitan areas with T-Mobile's 3G
coverage by October 22, 2008:
Atlanta
Austin
Baltimore
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Las Vegas
Long Island, NY
Los Angeles
Miami
Minneapolis
New England
New York City
Northern New Jersey
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
Sacramento
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Klinglerware
College Starter

Are you in a market where T-mobile has 3G service? You can check this on t-mobile's coverage map on their website. Since this phone is meant to be data-centric, you might have a better experience with the g1 if you are in a 3g area.

3g is (very) slowly being built out in my area. I'm hoping that when my contract is up again, 3g coverage is better and there are more phone options.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

Might be worth reading:

T-mobile G1: Android and T-Mobile G1's Five Most Obnoxious Flaws
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Good stuff. While I think Android will be great eventually, I wouldnt touch it in the first generation, let alone the first phone.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Klinglerware
College Starter

Here's Engadget's wrap-up:

T-Mobile G1 impressions: what we love, what we don't - Engadget
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Klinglerware
College Starter

If you use your phone for work communications (e-mail etc), I'd probably stick with a blackberry or a windows mobile phone for now.

There is also the Samsung T919 (aka, "the pink tocco") that is rumored to be coming to T-mobile.

T-Mobile USA getting a beefy Tocco from Samsung? - Engadget

If it comes to pass (apparently it's already passed the FCC with T-mobile specs, so that's a good sign), it might be an option if you are looking for a subsidized phone that is touchscreen and also takes advantage of T-mo's 3G network. I was really interested in it until I read that it was only tri-band, so it's use internationally would be somewhat limited.

As for unlocked touchscreen phones rumored to be coming out that might support T-mobile 3G, there is the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. It is a Windows Mobile phone with a touch screen interface overlay. There is some debate as to whether it will support T-mobile's 3G network (there is evidence both yea and nay)...

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...x1?cc=us&lc=en
Old 09-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Did that guy type that article on his IPhone?

Anyways, the media player aspect not being very robust is the thing that may kill it for me. I really would like to be able to play MP3s through my car stereo when I'm driving.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did that guy type that article on his IPhone?

Anyways, the media player aspect not being very robust is the thing that may kill it for me. I really would like to be able to play MP3s through my car stereo when I'm driving.

My HTC Touch Diamond is in the mail. The media player on its pretty solid, not as good as Iphone, but what is. The video play is much better because the screen is VGA, but is much smaller. Diamond for Sprint has Sprint TV, Sprint Music Premier, FM radio, along with stereo bluetooth. EV-DO Rev A is very fast. To play mp3's on the car stereo just purchase a FM transmitter and plug it in when you get in the car and hook it in through the headphone jack like an ipod.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
My HTC Touch Diamond is in the mail. The media player on its pretty solid, not as good as Iphone, but what is. The video play is much better because the screen is VGA, but is much smaller. Diamond for Sprint has Sprint TV, Sprint Music Premier, FM radio, along with stereo bluetooth. EV-DO Rev A is very fast. To play mp3's on the car stereo just purchase a FM transmitter and plug it in when you get in the car and hook it in through the headphone jack like an ipod.

The HTC dream does not have a headphone jack.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, that was a major turn off.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Hurst2112
College Starter

have had my touch diamond for about24 hours. all i can say is that im very impressed. some flaws but those can be fixed with the cooked roms out there.

never been able to crap and post here on a phone before! haha
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I post here quite a bit from my pearl. Which service are you with Hurst?

If the media functions are decent and it comes in close to 100 I'm gonna snag the pearl flip.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I post here quite a bit from my pearl. Which service are you with Hurst?

If the media functions are decent and it comes in close to 100 I'm gonna snag the pearl flip.

I'm with sprint.

I just never enjoyed the forum from a BB or my old Blackjack. My patience ran out having to see the lame formatting.

With the Diamond, it's a lot cleaner. Aside from having to zoom, it looks the same on my phone as it does with my computer.

I'm very fond of the Touch Diamond. I'm going to flash a new ROM as soon as Juicy's 2.2 comes out on ppcgeeks.com

That's the great thing about the WM OS. Guys bust their hump and put out many enhancements for phones running WM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just want to resurrect this thread so I can say that my wife just got a G1. She thinks it's great. After she had had the phone for a day, I asked her what she thought. She told me "LLLLLOOOOVVVEE IT!"

So I guess that's a good sign.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
If you use your phone for work communications (e-mail etc), I'd probably stick with a blackberry or a windows mobile phone for now.

There is also the Samsung T919 (aka, "the pink tocco") that is rumored to be coming to T-mobile.

T-Mobile USA getting a beefy Tocco from Samsung? - Engadget

So it looks like the T919, rechristened the behold, is going to be released next week.

Yeah, it looks like every other candybar all-touchscreen phone out there. But, it does have a 5 mp camera. And, significantly for T-mo customers, it's also 3G--so the era of nothing but low-end crap for (T-mo subsidized) phones may be coming to an end...

T-Mobile Announces Holiday Line-Up (Phone Scoop)