Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

Fringe

I recorded the premiere episode of "Fringe" on my DVR tonight but the DVR only recorded up to the scene where Joshua Jackson's character walks into the interrogation room to talk with the prisoner. Can someone please fill me in on what happened for the rest of the episode?

I thought the pilot was pretty weak overall, at least the portion that I saw. I'm sure the show will get a long leash because of Abrams but I think the writers need to do a lot better over the next few episodes to maintain (at least) my interest.

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
SFL Cat
College Starter

CRAP. I wanted to watch this tonight.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It was decent enough. I'll watch it for a bit before making up my mind one way or the other.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
CRAP. I wanted to watch this tonight.

I believe it will repeat next Sunday.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I believe it will repeat next Sunday.

It does.

I enjoyed it. It keep me entertained. I liked how it combined normal FBI/CIA/ Police stuff with "out of the box" thinking Sci Fi stuff. Ill be watching next week again.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

Argh, can one of you guys please just tell me how the episode ended?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Drake
assmaster

Spoiler
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
It does.

I enjoyed it. It keep me entertained. I liked how it combined normal FBI/CIA/ Police stuff with "out of the box" thinking Sci Fi stuff. Ill be watching next week again.

Same here. It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping/expecting, but it was entertaining and will definitely get at least a few more weeks from us.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Thomkal
Head Coach

Definitely interested me enough to keep watching. I agree with Drake about the interaction between Joshua's Jackson's character and his father. The one weak part of the episode I thought was the second part of Drake's spoiler given what the agent had just been through.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Drake
assmaster

I agree, T. As someone who has spent significant time in a medically induced coma, I was like, "Um, no."
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Crap, I forgot it was on too - initial impressions? Worth getting it to check it out?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

Thanks, Drake, for the synopsis. I'll watch the new few episodes but I hope things get better in a hurry.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, I'm a little fuzzy on the use of spoilers - are we supposed to use them when talking about events that happened on the episode that aired last night? I was under the impression that spoiler tags were to protect "inside knowledge" of future episodes, not protect someone from reading about the last episode or to cover idle speculation of what may happen going forward.

I watched last night and think that this could end up being a cool show. I've read that Abrams doesn't want this show to have as much of an "insider feel" as Alias and Lost. That it should be OK to miss an episode and still enjoy the show. If that is the case, I'm guessing this will play out sort of like X-Files back in the day where Mulder/Scully had 15-20 episodes of one-off issues and about 4-5 episodes per year that were tied to the epic, overarching plot.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I will keep watching. I enjoyed it very much. Hopefully they will cut down on some of the hokiness.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was pretty fun. I think its about time for another X-Files clone, but this one seems to be a little bit different (any "conspiracy" seems to be centered around a company and the agency the main characters are working for know about all the wierd things). Could be very interesting.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I thought it was pretty fun. I think its about time for another X-Files clone, but this one seems to be a little bit different (any "conspiracy" seems to be centered around a company and the agency the main characters are working for know about all the wierd things). Could be very interesting.

Company conspiracys are becoming old hat for Abrams - see Lost and Cloverfield.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen either, so I'm good .
Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure - halfway through, pretty mediocre.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
wade moore
lolzcat

I actually enjoyed it a lot. Probably my favorite "new" show since lost two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
SnDvls
Pro Starter

wife and I just watched the DVR today...was really slow for me, but my wife loved it. I liked how each week it's new and not just one long story.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
hoopsguy
General Manager

So what did they flash to in the hospital in the final seconds of the episode?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
So what did they flash to in the hospital in the final seconds of the episode?

I think it was a couple more of the quick made soldiers.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah that was my thought too since the guy who created them got away. I liked the episode, but could have done without some of the cringeworthy moments like with the girl's eye being shown that way. I'm very curious now about the son's medical history. Was he genetically engineered?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Was he genetically engineered?

I was thinking the same thing. Some kind of clone.

I like the show but it borders on having to suspend reality a bit to much. With all the other shows coming back this has the potential to slip from the rotation and go to Netflix
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Some kind of clone.

I like the show but it borders on having to suspend reality a bit to much. With all the other shows coming back this has the potential to slip from the rotation and go to Netflix

Well it's in the JJ Abrams world, you have to suspend reality a bit for his stuff. I'm pretty sure this is in the same Alias / Lost world, which is really part of the reason I already like this show. Plus the doctor is hilarious.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #26
rowech
Pro Starter

Love every part of this show other than possibly the lead actress. Yes, you have to suspend some belief but it's just crazy enough that you think to yourself "maybe"
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats why I said a bit to much. I loved Alias and love lost, I realize you need to suspend reality, this one maybe just takes it a step to far. Jump my personal opinion
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #28
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think my biggest issue up to this point is that I worry it is going to slip into "science Mcgyver" mode, where they do 1-2 things per episode that rely upon the Dr. trotting out some 20-30 year old research in a way that resolves the stumbling block in their investigation.

Episode 1 - telepathy (?) with guy in coma
Episode 2 - see image on eyeballs of dead person, revive person from drug overdose

I'm fine with having this come up from time to time - it fits with the title of the show, I suppose. I just don't want to be beaten over the head with it time and time again.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #29
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I think my biggest issue up to this point is that I worry it is going to slip into "science Mcgyver" mode, where they do 1-2 things per episode that rely upon the Dr. trotting out some 20-30 year old research in a way that resolves the stumbling block in their investigation.

Episode 1 - telepathy (?) with guy in coma
Episode 2 - see image on eyeballs of dead person, revive person from drug overdose

I'm fine with having this come up from time to time - it fits with the title of the show, I suppose. I just don't want to be beaten over the head with it time and time again.

I think you might as well give up on the show now then. I'm pretty sure that's the way the show will be going.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think you might as well give up on the show now then. I'm pretty sure that's the way the show will be going.
It's not much different then House or any other show.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Have to say that I think the show really hit its stride with the latest episode. I've always thought the actress playing Olivia was the weak link in the show but she really came alive in that last episode. Then the stuff with Walter Bishop knowing the woman at the mega powerful drug research company way back when, and Peter making a deal with her. And I love the stuff with Walter not getting Astrid's name right ever. (Asterisk? LOL) And then's there the creepy stuff with Olivia's stepfather.

Of course now the show has no new episodes for 3 weeks, but that was a good one to end on.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have to say that I think the show really hit its stride with the latest episode. I've always thought the actress playing Olivia was the weak link in the show but she really came alive in that last episode. Then the stuff with Walter Bishop knowing the woman at the mega powerful drug research company way back when, and Peter making a deal with her. And I love the stuff with Walter not getting Astrid's name right ever. (Asterisk? LOL) And then's there the creepy stuff with Olivia's stepfather.

Of course now the show has no new episodes for 3 weeks, but that was a good one to end on.

I agree. I had some reservations at the start of this show but now I hopew they keep it going and don't cancel it. It is the 21st centruy version of X Files and they seem to be going that direction but in a more clever script kind of way. I don't mind all the incredibly unbelievable stuff in this related to the science stuff since the show is titled Fringe like fringe science.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #33
Anthony
Banned

my wife and i watched the pilot and thought it was decent, but we haven't watched it since. i guess there's only so much time in the week and there's only so much shows a couple can watch together. it didn't scream "must see tv" to me, just a solid show that you could take or leave and your life would still remain the same.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
my wife and i watched the pilot and thought it was decent, but we haven't watched it since. i guess there's only so much time in the week and there's only so much shows a couple can watch together. it didn't scream "must see tv" to me, just a solid show that you could take or leave and your life would still remain the same.

You should give it another try. Pilot episodes are not enough to judge a show by especially something like Fringe. Actors don't really get comfortable with their characters right away. To be geeky for a moment, the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation is really bad looking back at it now seeing what the show had become. The dearly missed Journeyman was like that last season for me too.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #35
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Right there with you, I really started to like Olivia with this episode.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #36
rowech
Pro Starter

I love this show. Right there for House as my two can't misses of the week. I do not like the actress playing the lead. She's horrible. Everyone else is perfect for the show. My wife tells me she's from Australia and is trying hard to hide her accent like the woman in Without a Trace who I also have a problem with. (she told me this after I said I didn't like her)

Abrams sais over and over that the pilot is terrible compared to the show. He tried to get the network to allow him to change it but they had already put so much money into it they didn't want to mess with it.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

The girl from Chuck is Australian as well and hides her accent perfectly!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

"I have an erection"
Old 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #39
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Abrams sais over and over that the pilot is terrible compared to the show. He tried to get the network to allow him to change it but they had already put so much money into it they didn't want to mess with it.

Maybe I'll give the show another shot then. I watched the pilot and thought it was horrible. I DVRed the next couple of episodes but every time I saw an ad for an upcoming episode, it looked equally ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #40
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
The girl from Chuck is Australian as well and hides her accent perfectly!

mmmmm...sarah.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

waaaah, no new episodes till January! What a cliffhanger to go out on though with Olivia kidnapped and all that fringe technology being used and actually working. And the way that lawyer died was just creepy. Figured he was going to die but with all the technology floating around on the show I thought he'd go out that way, so that brutal necksnapping was unexpected.

And the actor who plays Walter Bennett really deserves some kind of award. The things he gets to say and do just because he's "crazy" are so wild. Like asking Olivia if she was high at the bank in this episode, lol.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes, Walter Bennett is a great character. I really am enjoying him. I also really am enjoying his son in the show too. Just the facial expression and the counter play to Walter helps the role out so much.

For some reason I really got a kick out of the scene where they went to the store looking for some kind of hacksaw..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #43
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yes, Walter Bennett is a great character. I really am enjoying him. I also really am enjoying his son in the show too. Just the facial expression and the counter play to Walter helps the role out so much.

For some reason I really got a kick out of the scene where they went to the store looking for some kind of hacksaw..

heh yeah that was good and telling the clerk it was to cut through flesh and bones lol
Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #44
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
waaaah, no new episodes till January! What a cliffhanger to go out on though with Olivia kidnapped and all that fringe technology being used and actually working. And the way that lawyer died was just creepy. Figured he was going to die but with all the technology floating around on the show I thought he'd go out that way, so that brutal necksnapping was unexpected.

And the actor who plays Walter Bennett really deserves some kind of award. The things he gets to say and do just because he's "crazy" are so wild. Like asking Olivia if she was high at the bank in this episode, lol.

I have to think he would be considered for supporting actor...he plays that part as well as Hugh Laurie plays House.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #45
Lorena
Unregistered

New episode soon, thank goodness

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #46
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Long ass break, I don't even remember what was happening.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #47
DanGarion
Coordinator

What no one has anything to say about that season finale???? Pretty sweet ending. Interesting to see where they take things now that there are at least two alternate worlds/realities.

Oh and would Len Bias have been a bit too old to be MVP...

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-14-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #48
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah that was a pretty cool ending-Peter being from the alternate universe-that should be an interesting reaction when he finds out. Olivia travelling to the alternate universe and meeting Spock...er William Bell. Jones being cut in half-guessing he won't be a threat anymore. But hey this is Fringe so who knows. The actor playing Walter was just fantastic this episode.

So glad the show was renewed for another season.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #49
samifan24
Pro Starter

I haven't watched this show since the second episode of the season but I see that the guys that wrote Star Trek write Fringe regularly so I'm thinking of giving it another shot. It's my impression that the show's quality has improved greatly since the first few episodes. Is that the case?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #50
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I haven't watched this show since the second episode of the season but I see that the guys that wrote Star Trek write Fringe regularly so I'm thinking of giving it another shot. It's my impression that the show's quality has improved greatly since the first few episodes. Is that the case?

Yeah the first couple episodes, the lead actress wasn't that good in my opinion, but then she really came alive and the storyline started to fall into place. It builds nicely through the season finale.