Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL Week 1

No thread yet?

Daunte Culpepper has announced his retirement. After reading his statement, I understand why he was unable to find work. Just slightly bitter.

ESPN - Culpepper, unable to catch on as free agent, retires at age 31 - NFL
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Poor poor Culpepper. Waaaaah!

The Dolphins get to host Brett Favre's Jets in Week 1. Hopefully he doesn't know their playbook well just yet.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Totaly pumped for the Giants game.

I am sick as hell but drugged up and ready to go. Have some friends coming over and we are gonna party!!

The only thing that is weird for me is being on the west coast now and the game starts at 4:00 for me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Totaly pumped for the Giants game.

I am sick as hell but drugged up and ready to go. Have some friends coming over and we are gonna party!!

The only thing that is weird for me is being on the west coast now and the game starts at 4:00 for me.

Just wait for the 10am games! That was the weirdest part for me when I visit my in-laws in California. Have breakfast to the NFL.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Couple things:

1. For the 2008 season, were calling him Jett Favre.

2. Anyone looking to roll with the Giants tonight, grab some Plaxico for the
1st TD score @ +800. Good stuff.

3. What better thursday QB: Smelley or Campbell?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK, Plex is off to an amazing start.

I fully admit I am a monster Giants fan, but he is the best receiver in football not named Owens or Randy Moss
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

YEAH !/!!

Amazing opening drive.

Eli on the keeper, are you kidding me.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

couldnt ask for a better start
Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

working tonight, and one of us stumbled on the webcast of the game at nfl.com. very nice.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like Culpepper's letter. There's a strong expectation that players should be mindless drones who ought to take whatever the league doles out to them and be happy about it - there's something to be said for someone who points out some of the BS.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
OK, Plex is off to an amazing start.

I fully admit I am a monster Giants fan, but he is the best receiver in football not named Owens or Randy Moss

Let's not go crazy here, he's beating up a nickel CB and the OL is giving Eli all sorts of time. Eli is definitely playing great though as well as their D and OL. The Redskins are absolutely embarrassing out there.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

Other than a couple of decent kick returns, the Redskins suck.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

And yet somehow they're only down 9 points.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Let's not go crazy here, he's beating up a nickel CB and the OL is giving Eli all sorts of time. Eli is definitely playing great though as well as their D and OL. The Redskins are absolutely embarrassing out there.

Has nothing to do with just this game.

Plex makes amazing plays week after week and changes games
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Other than a couple of decent kick returns, the Redskins suck.
bring on colt brennan!!!

no, im serious...campbell blows...bring on colt.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, best play of this game was portis laying a pancake on kiwanuka
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Skins announcers want to strangle the Redskins for not hurrying up
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, this is wretched time management.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is "Plex" a widely used nickname for him? New on me, but I've never followed too closely.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

I love John Madden. We get to hear him say how the ref had to have made a mistake, saying #59 didn't issue the late hit, it was #58 (Pierce) because of "carryover" from a previous shoving match. So then we get a super-slow-mo replay of the hit, where we have to watch Pierce, frame-by-frame, as he legally hits Portis, Madden explains how that's illegal...and then at the conclusion of that marathon clip, we see #59 come in late.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Is "Plex" a widely used nickname for him? New on me, but I've never followed too closely.

Yes, unfortunately.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

On the other hand, good job by Michaels noting that Zorn actually looks like he is coaching his first game ever with his Herm Edwards-style clock management/play-calling.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I like that nickname
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Zorn has looked pitiful as a coach. I am amazed at some of these calls, though obviously it has to go on Campbell as well.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is a sneaky plot.. EA sports paid Zorn to coach so crappy so we'd all get indignant and say "I could coach better then that!" and load up NFL Head Coach 09 to prove that we can!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Please, please someone post the clip of Zorn's response to the question of "How were you planning on scoring a TD, recovering an onside kick, advancing the ball into FG position, and kicking a FG all in 13 seconds?"

Just complete ineptitude.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

On the other hand, it was a rather remarkable job by the Redskins defense not to give up points in the second half after giving up 250 yards and 16 points in the first and considering the offensive ineptitude.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #29
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
bring on colt brennan!!!

no, im serious...campbell blows...bring on colt.

I'm with you on this. Campbell is terribad!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #30
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
On the other hand, it was a rather remarkable job by the Redskins defense not to give up points in the second half after giving up 250 yards and 16 points in the first and considering the offensive ineptitude.

Yup. I thought this was going to be a rout in the first half. But Campbell is awefull. I have never really understood the fasination with him. He had one good year in college (when he had two first round draft picks in the backfield, and a senior field OL), but always showed he was slow picking up defenses and made dumb desicions when pushed.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #31
saldana
Pro Starter

so retrospectively, i think Eli was lucky to get out of that game with only one pick....not even counting the two balls that bounced off Washington DBs hands, he threw some ugly balls that the giants were very fortunate to retain possession on....not impressed with the SB MVP in week one.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Heading into week one, I have question for digamma, Jon, and the rest of the Georgia Tech faithful...

So far, in preseason, Calvin Johnson has looked uncoverable (Calvin Johnson looking greatin preseason.) Based on what you saw during his college career what is going to slow this guy down (other than injury or Jon Kitna's relative poopiness as a quarterback, of course)?

Can he be as good as he's looked (averaging about 70 yards receiving a quarter)?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Heading into week one, I have question for digamma, Jon, and the rest of the Georgia Tech faithful...

So far, in preseason, Calvin Johnson has looked uncoverable (Calvin Johnson looking greatin preseason.) Based on what you saw during his college career what is going to slow this guy down (other than injury or Jon Kitna's relative poopiness as a quarterback, of course)?

Can he be as good as he's looked (averaging about 70 yards receiving a quarter)?

He has the talent physically to be a really great receiver. There have been Wide receivers with really good physical build that just couldn't cut it in the pros though. I think if Calvin can learn the play book and can adapt to pro defensive schemes then he should be a real nice player for you. The guys that will be covering him are going to be at times quite good too though, but I can invision he has the potential to tear up weaker secondaries.

I don't get to see every Tech game anymore though, but this is based on my thoughts from watching him in college.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #34
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
what is going to slow this guy down?

The fact that he plays for the Lions. He has another WR to draw coverage which is going to make it near damn impossible to try and how to cover both of them, but their utter and complete lack of a running game isn't going to help at all. It's actually kind of sad to see such a talented player being stuck with an organization that is so clueless on how to run things.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #35
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Zorn has looked pitiful as a coach. I am amazed at some of these calls, though obviously it has to go on Campbell as well.

When the camera was on him at some points in the game last night, he surely had the deer in head lights look, or a look that just screamed I have know idea WTF is going on. Anyone else notice his facial expressions?? He looked like he didnt have any life in him at times.

Last edited by muns : 09-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #36
SteveMax58
College Starter

Woohoo!!! G-Men getting it done.

Though...it looked like both teams were just playing out the string in the second half...pretty odd for a week 1 natinally televised game.

While I know there were some issues with Daunte and previous teams' management, I'm surprised that more teams didnt see a reason to bring him in to compete and/or backup with the amount of starting QB's that are really not considered the "franchise" QB. Or at least I dont feel most of them should be looked at in that way(see Matt Schaub).

Off the top of my head, it would seem like a decent chance for him in Houston, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota(not sure what bad blood might still be there, but the "Progial Son" returning might be big on and off the field), KC, and Baltimore. Not saying he should walk in and start or be guaranteed a spot on the roster even...just seems like it couldnt hurt to let him compete for one.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #37
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Hey Dante, by my count, you had two NFL teams offer you contracts this off-season. The Packers and Steelers both gave you an opportunity to come in and compete for a job. But, with the Steelers, "I just was not willing to take the vet minimum and no guaranteed roster spot." and with the Packers "I just sensed that when it was time to negotiate that there were some unresolved issues that kept them from giving me a market-value offer." If that's all you can get, that's your market value, bub. I'm not slamming the guy for choosing to retire, but don't make it about the man keeping you down when clearly there were opportunities available.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #38
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
When the camera was on him at some points in the game last night, he surely had the deer in head lights look, or a look that just screamed I have know idea WTF is going on. Anyone else notice his facial expressions?? He looked like he didnt have any life in him at times.

I knew the Redskins had no chance after he was sacked on their first offensive play. The look on his face said it all.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #39
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
Hey Dante, by my count, you had two NFL teams offer you contracts this off-season. The Packers and Steelers both gave you an opportunity to come in and compete for a job. But, with the Steelers, "I just was not willing to take the vet minimum and no guaranteed roster spot." and with the Packers "I just sensed that when it was time to negotiate that there were some unresolved issues that kept them from giving me a market-value offer." If that's all you can get, that's your market value, bub. I'm not slamming the guy for choosing to retire, but don't make it about the man keeping you down when clearly there were opportunities available.

He pretty much was never gonna start in Pittsburgh, and he was more looking at being the 3rd string guy. I can't imagine him getting the starting gig in GB after what happened during the offseason. I think he wanted to go to a place where there was a legitimate chance for him to be a starting QB. In the right situation, I think he could have been an excellent fit for Detroit because he could air it out with those two WRs. The problem is Kitna is already the vet placeholder as Detroit tries to develop the next guy.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm fairly certain he will be better than the drek the 49ers are putting out...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #41
miami_fan
Coordinator

So what was Daunte's market value? And how many teams did Daunte reject? Was he better than Beck and McCown in Miami before they got Pennington? Sure. Would he have signed there to compete? Probably not. There were rumors that he was looking for a two year commitment from a team. Who knows if that is true or not but it seems consistent with reports that he acted as if he was coming off his near MVP season than one where he only threw 5 TDs.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #42
saldana
Pro Starter

one last thought about the giants game from thursday night....did you see how amazingly hot looking mrs. eli manning is?

just once i would like to see a professional athlete married to an ugly chick
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
one last thought about the giants game from thursday night....did you see how amazingly hot looking mrs. eli manning is?

just once i would like to see a professional athlete married to an ugly chick

Kurt Warner

Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #44
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Kurt Warner

+1
Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #45
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Kurt Warner

good call, i forgot about him (and when i say him, i was not refering to kurt warner)
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #46
GrantDawg

I know now why Micheal Strahan didn't want to come back. He has lost a lot of body mass. He looks smaller than Howie.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was counting on DirecTV's Supercast to watch this week on my computer because my OTA is inconsistent right now for channels, but Supercast isn't working at the moment for me. Anyone else have Supercast working?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-07-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #48
Izulde
Head Coach

That Marino/Favre interview gave me an odd feeling.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #49
GrantDawg

62 yard TD pass from Matt Ryan. First NFL pass ever. Welcome to the NFL, rook.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-07-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: 62 not 66
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #50
digamma
Torchbearer

Ice, ice, baby!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote