Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Forum Changes...

A few things...

POST COUNTS: I am playing with a way to keep user titles but stop displaying post counts in the postbit, because of all the recent silliness about them. I may remove it from the members list as well if there's more silliness.

SKINS: As I've mentioned before, they are not set up properly here at all in the parent-child style that we really need in order to do some easy modding. I've trimmed those down to the top five that y'all voted on a while back (IMPORTANT POLL: What skin do you use? - Front Office Football Central. This will be helpful going forward.

DELETING THREADS: Non-mods can no longer do this, again due to the recent silliness. (It's fairly likely that I left off one or more of the "side" groups, but I can address that as it comes up.)

ASSHATTERY: While I was working on these changes, a few of you chose to act like asshats by abusing signatures and post reporting. As a result, you are facing temporary sanctions (one day).

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

ASSHATTERY:

Please define an asshat for me so I can avoid being called one.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

You know, you've overblown situations in the past, but this just looks kinda stupid Ben.

The only thing I agree with here is the deleting threads bit, never should have been available to joe-user. The rest is irrelevent and/or assinine. take your pick, whichever view makes you warm and fuzzy.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

YOU ARE MEEN!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post

just dont do anything stupid that intentionally pisses people off or annoys them
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
just dont do anything stupid that intentionally pisses people off or annoys them

Use your napkin and lay it in your lap, don;t touch the crystal before you are served and for god's sake never look them in the EYE, NEVER, they'll KEEEEL YOU!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I gotta say that if your post count showing by your name means so much to you, you need to get out more.

I don't put my FOFC title on my business card, FWIW. Maybe just me, but who cares?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

I don't put my FOFC title on my business card, FWIW. Maybe just me, but who cares?

Staples.comŽ
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
I gotta say that if your post count showing by your name means so much to you, you need to get out more.

see...thats the difference...i just got new business cards printed...what the hell am i supposed to do with 1,000 cards that say "College Benchwarmer"
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
see...thats the difference...i just got new business cards printed...what the hell am i supposed to do with 1,000 cards that say "College Benchwarmer"

Wait a few years. I'm sure in a few years that the thresholds for titles will change and if you just lurk here and don't post you'll be back to College Benchwarmer. All you need is a little discipline.

C'mon, what's more important to you?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Haha, everyone lost posts (kind of). I love it.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wait a few years. I'm sure in a few years that the thresholds for titles will change and if you just lurk here and don't post you'll be back to College Benchwarmer. All you need is a little discipline.

C'mon, what's more important to you?

if they would just give me the custom title i want, i wouldnt have to worry about it?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

What's worse?

People caring about post counts or Skydog caring about people caring about post counts?

Now I will never see 3000.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This is a positive change. Long overdue.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

If you check your profile or the member list you will. That is why Ben said...
Quote:
may remove it from the members list as well if there's more silliness.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Anthony
Banned

i'm having Hell Atlantic in my sig.

if you don't like it then ban me. that's as simple as it's gonna get.

hut one, hut two, hut three
hut!
ole dirty bastard
live and uncut
style's unshakable
shatterproof
to my young youth
you wanna get guns?
shoot.

Last edited by Anthony : 09-03-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
This is a positive change. Long overdue.

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What's worse?

People caring about post counts or Skydog caring about people caring about post counts?

Now I will never see 3000.
To be clear, I don't particularly care that people care. I care that they are bugging the mods and me about it.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm just happy that this will stop people deleting old threads.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A few things...

ASSHATTERY: While I was working on these changes, a few of you chose to act like asshats by abusing signatures and post reporting. As a result, you are facing temporary sanctions (one day).

u cant ban Subby!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #21
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Has anyone refused to accept a ban?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
+1

+2
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

*finishes painting the swastikas over the FOFC logos....*
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #26
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i miss post counts
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

-7,265 (as of this post)

Seriously...this is all excellent to me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So basically we have two people who posted threads about nearing a post count "landmark" and then people who started deleting threads and what appear to be mods who started childishly screwing with the numbers. The solution is to take away post numbers and slap people on the wrist who objected, much of it jokingly? That's some REALLY messed up logic.

Personally I think the mods who started screwing with the numbers to inflame the situation should be the ones facing some sort of penalty. They (or this person if it was just one) clearly abused their power just to be asshats.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

I don't give a crap about post counts or join date.

It's about the content of the post more than it is about the number of of inane post bolsters.

I think this is a good thing. I love FOFC, not my stature here.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Posting to see if I was banned. No? Ok.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #31
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't give a crap about post counts or join date.

It's about the content of the post more than it is about the number of of inane post bolsters.

I think this is a good thing. I love FOFC, not my stature here.

+1

Last edited by Groundhog : 09-03-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

Now we ALL know how it must feel to be a werewolf.

ARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #33
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
...and what appear to be mods who started childishly screwing with the numbers. The solution is to take away post numbers and slap people on the wrist who objected, much of it jokingly? That's some REALLY messed up logic.

Personally I think the mods who started screwing with the numbers to inflame the situation should be the ones facing some sort of penalty. They (or this person if it was just one) clearly abused their power just to be asshats.
I was messing with different ways to hide the post count. I didn't want to go through the hassle of editing the postbit template for all of the dozen or so skins that are here, so I was playing with the idea of just counting posts for no forums, which would have reduced everyone's post count to zero. In that process, I did several rebuilds of post counts earlier this evening which caused, I'm sure, some pretty wild variations. (For example, in one iteration I intended to have posts count in no forums in one of the refreshes, but left off the dynasty forums and the soccer forum.) But then it was suggested to me that it might be good to have the titles around without the post counts, so I remembered the poll I had taken, and got rid of the rarely/never used templates, and just edited out the postcount stuff from postbits in the five that now remain.

So, bottom line: it was multiple rebuilds of post counts by me, not some rogue mod screwing around, that probably caused a lot of variance in post counts today.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-03-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post

The opening post is a good example.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #35
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Now we ALL know how it must feel to be a werewolf.

ARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

subby is that you?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong. I was messing with different ways to hide the post count. I didn't want to go through the hassle of editing the postbit template for all of the dozen or so skins that are here, so I was playing with the idea of just counting posts for no forums, which would have reduced everyone's post count to zero. In that process, I did several rebuilds of post counts earlier this evening which caused, I'm sure, some pretty wild variations. (For example, in one iteration I intended to have posts count in no forums in one of the refreshes, but left off the dynasty forums and the soccer forum.) But then it was suggested to me that it might be good to have the titles around without the post counts, so I remembered the poll I had taken, and got rid of the rarely/never used templates, and just edited out the postcount stuff from postbits in the five that now remain.

So, bottom line: it was multiple rebuilds of post counts by me, not some rogue mod screwing around, that probably caused a lot of variance in post counts today.

It seemed odd that only RendeR's post counts were being drastically altered during this time period. It was obvious in the thread that only his were being drastically changed. Everyone was getting some flux but while other dropped just a couple hundred he dropped to near 0.

Overall the biggest problem here was people messing around and deleting threads. In the overall scheme of things how much does it matter that Lathum hit 10,000 or RendeR hit 6,000?

Personally I kind of like the post counts. I only know the major players on here for the most part and sometimes I have seen post from someone and not realized just how active they have been (though I had missed what they had been posting entirely) and see that someone who I though was just a lurker was actual an active member that I hadn't noticed.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #37
RendeR
Coordinator

Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

it would appear that there are a couple thousand of my posts that were not being counted for whatever reason to begin with. I was at 6000 when this got started, but when I search for posts by this user I get the number above.

Whyso?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Overall the biggest problem here was people messing around and deleting threads. In the overall scheme of things how much does it matter that Lathum hit 10,000 or RendeR hit 6,000?

I have seen you reference this twice now.

I just want to point out that there have been a number of "milestone" posts and I fully expected a thread to be deleted knocking me down.

But IMO the second and third time it happened it crosses into asshatery.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #40
RendeR
Coordinator

So EF, i suppose it doesn't matter that its not always visible, one can always find one's post count if one were to wish to find one's post count.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
Ben E Lou

Quote:
It seemed odd that only RendeR's post counts were being drastically altered during this time period. It was obvious in the thread that only his were being drastically changed. Everyone was getting some flux but while other dropped just a couple hundred he dropped to near 0.

Personally I kind of like the post counts. I only know the major players on here for the most part and sometimes I have seen post from someone and not realized just how active they have been (though I had missed what they had been posting entirely) and see that someone who I though was just a lurker was actual an active member that I hadn't noticed.
I'm fairly certain that mine dropped by, oh, 15,000 during that time. Part of the changes depended on what forums you did or did not post in.

Agree on the deleted threads. It's almost a "tradition" now that it happens when someone starts one of those threads. I'd never really thought about it, but when I did, I couldn't think of a compelling reason to let users delete threads. It can be a royal pain to find and restore them if they pick the right ones. (I'm pretty sure that some are in effect lost forever just because we're not likely to find them.) It's quite uncommon for someone to double-post a thread, and even more uncommon for someone to regret a thread shortly after it's posted and want to delete it. In either case, they can PM me or any mod and we'll just take care of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The WW posts were skewed, that is probably why Renders seems screwey, mine were and I know Saldanas were also
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #43
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that mine dropped by, oh, 15,000 during that time. Part of the changes depended on what forums you did or did not post in.

Agree on the deleted threads. It's almost a "tradition" now that it happens when someone starts one of those threads. I'd never really thought about it, but when I did, I couldn't think of a compelling reason to let users delete threads. It can be a royal pain to find and restore them if they pick the right ones. (I'm pretty sure that some are in effect lost forever just because we're not likely to find them.) It's quite uncommon for someone to double-post a thread, and even more uncommon for someone to regret a thread shortly after it's posted and want to delete it. In either case, they can PM me or any mod and we'll just take care of it.

If that then solved the problem, why all the rest of the changes? why overkill?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #44
RendeR
Coordinator

7979 now according to the members list. Why would the membership listing and the search function return different results?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #45
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I went from 0 to 30, and i thought i was cool before!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #46
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Ah, I thought the entire post count was wiped out, didn't realize I can still find it, just need to click the user's ID (sorry, was too lazy to do that other click before ).
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Was going to post an over/under on RendeR ending up in the box, I guess that contest was over before it started...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #48
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

hlly crap. 2700........

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #49
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ah, I thought the entire post count was wiped out, didn't realize I can still find it, just need to click the user's ID (sorry, was too lazy to do that other click before ).
Yes. It would be a royal pain to remove it from everywhere that it exists in vbulletin. As many things that can be turned on and off in vbulletin via the control panel, it's a bit surprising that this isn't one of them. It requires removing the HTML and code that generates it in the various places. *shurg*
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #50
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Of course while everyne isreading here they might as well take a couple minutes away from the semi-drama and check out 2008 FOFC Season Predictions - Front Office Football Central

Just a couple more games left to pick...