Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Jaguars' Collier in critical condition after being shot several times

ESPN - Jaguars' Collier in critical condition after being shot several times - NFL

Jaguars' Collier in critical condition after being shot several times

Associated Press

Updated: September 2, 2008, 9:01 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Richard Collier was shot while waiting for some women outside an apartment early Tuesday and sustained life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

Collier, 26, and former Jaguars player Kenneth Pettway were waiting in a car when a gunman shot into the vehicle, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesman Ken Jefferson said. Collier was shot several times but it's not clear where he was hit.

Collier was in critical condition at Shands Jacksonville Medical Center, a hospital official said. The motive behind the attack was unclear, and the sheriff's office was investigating.

The shooting happened around 2:45 a.m. in a middle- to upper middle-class neighborhood just west of downtown Jacksonville and blocks from the St. Johns River.

Collier is the third NFL player to be shot in the past 18 months. Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was fatally shot during what police said was a botched burglary attempt at his Miami-area home in November. Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was killed when his rented limousine was sprayed with bullets minutes after leaving a New Year's party at a downtown Denver club in 2007.

During training camp, the third-year lineman competed for the starting job at left tackle but was beat out by Khalif Barnes.

Earlier this year, Collier pleaded no contest to a drunken driving charge stemming from an incident last fall, avoiding trial and accepting six months of probation.

The 6-foot-7, 350-pound linemen was arrested Nov. 3 after officers found him asleep behind the wheel of his sports utility vehicle at a McDonald's drive-thru window, according to a police report. Collier failed field sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol level of .096. In Florida, it is illegal to drive when a person's blood-alcohol level reaches .08.

Collier's attorney, Hank Coxe, disputed the police report and recommended that his client go to trial, but Collier didn't want the team to have to deal with the negative attention that it would generate.

Pettway, a backup defensive end who played in 17 games over the past two seasons, was among the players cut by the Jaguars last weekend.

Jacksonville opens its season Sunday at Tennessee.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn, I am not sure how I missed this yesterday. Sad.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sad stuff

Quote:
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Richard Collier, who was shot earlier this month, is paralyzed below the waist and has had his left leg amputated, his doctors said Monday.

They said Collier, who had 14 bullet wounds, is now in stable condition after being previously listed in critical condition.

Collier and former teammate Kenneth Pettway were waiting for two women outside an apartment complex early Sept. 2 when a gunman fired into the vehicle, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. Pettway was not injured.

The motive behind the attack on Collier is unknown, but investigators said earlier he appeared to be targeted.

Collier was the third NFL player shot in the past 18 months. Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was fatally shot during what police said was a botched burglary attempt at his Miami-area home in November. Broncos cornerback Williams was killed when his rented limousine was sprayed with bullets minutes after leaving a New Year’s party at a club in 2007.

Doctors: Shot Jacksonville lineman is paralyzed - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

I read that on PFT, and was sickened. That must have sucked bad. And now he can't play football.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
And now he can't play football.

He should just be happy to be alive, and take it from there.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

sucks
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
He should just be happy to be alive, and take it from there.

I think you are pretty off here.

Consider this is a young man who has probably been a football stud his whole life and knows nothing else.

In his mind his life probably is over.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Frankly, if I was shot a dozen times, and the only consequence was I was paralyzed from the waist down and missing a leg (which doesn't matter much if you are paralyzed from the waist down) then I'd be pissed, but sort of relieved. I'd rather be in a wheelchair with all of my upper body intact and working than blind or deaf or a quadriplegic or something, you know?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think you are pretty off here.

Consider this is a young man who has probably been a football stud his whole life and knows nothing else.

In his mind his life probably is over.

We have no idea of his mindset. There have been many football players injured on the field that never play again that move on. Having been a football player at the level he was at there will be a support network that will help him get through any mental problems he may have. Believe it or not, the shooting deaths of Sean Taylor & Darrent Williams may actually help him to realize how lucky he is to still be here.

(I broke my back several years ago and know how lucky I am that there was no damage to the cord. In the same accident I broke my wrist and my hand was partially paralyzed after surgery. I took the attitude that whatever pain or discomfort I have resulting from the accident I know could have been worse, and am thankful it wasn't.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote