Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
mattlanta
Mascot

Job Advice

Hey, guys. I just found out that there's not going to be any fall baseball this year because there weren't enough kids that signed up in my age division. So I was thinking about getting a job somewhere. My top three lists are K-Mart, CVS, and Adam's (a grocery store). I'm 16, and I've never had any work experience before. However, I have volunteered about two years ago almost every weekend for about three or four months at a convalescent home where my mom works. I'd like to know if you guys can offer any advice or anything on what type of job to get and whatnot.

I'm looking to be able to have some pocket change, but most importantly this is for helping my mom out. I don't want to go into the details, but my mom will have to pay for a lot of (more than normal) bills this year. Basically, my high school bill along with my sister's isn't cheap either, and lunch prices have gone higher again at school, so mostly my money will be going towards my lunch money and to my mom. I was thinking of giving my mom half of my salary if I were to get a job right now.

mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Anthony
Banned

maybe even Target, if you have one availabler, or a Costco/Sam's Club type of thing where you can buy in bulk - employee discount on top of that would allow you guys to get some silly bargains.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

whatever you do, use this fabulous karma wisely!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
mattlanta
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
whatever you do, use this fabulous karma wisely!
What do you mean?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

when most of us were 16 we were trying to buy cars, and get laid. not help the family out!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

either that or im just a bad person!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would definitely weigh employee discount into the mix. Out of the places you mentioned I'm not sure there's much of a difference, but I'd personally start with the place where I would prefer to shop. If one's dirty or terrible to get checked out, remember those less than happy people will be blaming you.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Whatever job you get, it will in all likelihood suck. But good on you for looking to the challenge and stepping up.

If I were to try to pick between seemingly similar places, I would try to go somewhere where the manager will be willing to work with you to move you up the ladder a little bit. Having some kind of (assistant) manager experience will help you on college applications and whatnot, and moreover in the future when applying for "real" jobs.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll echo to try and get a job wherever you shop most... the employee discount will help.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

however if you can find a job waiting tables I generally made more tax free cash than I did at any employee type job I'd had before the waitering position(s).

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Some of the Kroger family of grocery stores (Kroger, Dillons, Hilander, Gerbes, etc) are union shops so you can get some nice benefits from working there such as insurance and the like.

My poison of choice in high school and early college was Office Max. Wasn't too bad- actually felt a bit professional working there tho we never seemed to have enough people to run a store.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
however if you can find a job waiting tables I generally made more tax free cash than I did at any employee type job I'd had before the waitering position(s).

Pretty much what I was gonna say ( you may have to start with bussing tables). One thing thats great about a restaurant is you can almost always work extra shiftss/ pick up someone shift so over holidays, etc.. you can work more if you like.

And good for you for stepping up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
mattlanta
Mascot

What do you guys think of internship? I contacted the local newspaper in my town and told him my situation via email, and I'm waiting for his response. Hopefully an internship job comes with a salary or something because I really need money if I were to devote my time to a 'job'.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Most internships are little or no money.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
What do you guys think of internship? I contacted the local newspaper in my town and told him my situation via email, and I'm waiting for his response. Hopefully an internship job comes with a salary or something because I really need money if I were to devote my time to a 'job'.

1. May be a good idea to have an internship for college....mmmk BUT

2. Newspapers are a industry that is going to be extinct in the future and as far as I can recall Internship is another term for "work your ass off for little or no money while your bosses know that and take advantage of it" SO

3. I go back to the bussing or waiting tables. Not only did I make more money this way, as pointed out above you can always work extra hours and you'll learn a ton about customer service, interpersonal business relationships (ie. tip outs), and restaurant operations or (business management).

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders so I wouldnt worry about you getting into the more seedy side of restaurant afterhours bizzyness (if you know what I mean) but it does exist.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd echo what someone said earlier - look for places where your employee discount will be maximized (pharmacies are great for this - particularly someplace like CVS that sells a wide variety of stuff, although i'm not familiar with what their employee discount policies are). Also echo what others have said - pick someplace where the customers seem "happy" -- nothing kills the retail experience like unhappy customers.

If money is an objective (and you have a car) you could also look into delivering papers. It does involve waking up somewhat earlier than your average 16 year old might like to, but the money is pretty damn good for minimal work (although with the cost of gas now I'm not sure how that weighs in -- I only ever did it way back in the 80's on my bike).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

An internship will look very good later on. However, it depends on whether you need the money now or not. They rarely pay, tho.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #18
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'd echo Lathum and consider working at a restaurant. It's decent money and would provide skills that you could use now, in college, and after you graduate college, if you can't find the right full time opportunity right away. Also it has room for advancement. You seem like someone who is willing to work hard and do the right thing, and so having room to grow should be something you look for wherever you end up.

Good luck.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
samifan24
Pro Starter

I would not work in a grocery store if I were you...or, if you do, avoid the front end and the cash registers. I worked at a grocery store while I was in high school and the repetitiveness of the cash registers could drive you mad. I've worked at a bookstore and found that to be a more more enjoyable, relaxed environment. I tell everyone that working in a bookstore is like working "retail lite."
Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Pretty much what I was gonna say ( you may have to start with bussing tables). One thing thats great about a restaurant is you can almost always work extra shiftss/ pick up someone shift so over holidays, etc.. you can work more if you like.

And good for you for stepping up.

I may be biased since I'm in the biz, but I agree with Flasch and Lathum. You can make more money waiting tables than you can at just about any other job you might qualify for. My only concern is that since you're 16, (depending upon the laws of the state you live in) you probably won't be able to serve at a restaurant that serves alcohol until you're 18. So you're probably looking at a serving job at Steak & Shake, or a similar place. But most full service restaurants will hire 16 year olds to be hosts or bussers. And if you do that for the summer, it's good experience that will be noticed if you apply for a serving position once you're of age.

Best of luck to you!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Flasch186
Coordinator

a fast food restaurant is not what were talking about and keep this in mind too. Generally, the nicer the restaurant the more money you'll make and the less difficult the job will be. I am not at all suggesting shirking good effort BUT working at a Denny's where you have 15 tables assigned to you at a $3 tip a table is much less desirable than a nicer restaurant where you have 3-4 tables at $20 a table tip. Something to consider. I always felt awful for the Denny's waiter, sweating his ass off, dealing with dumb punks at 2am.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd suggest looking at stores you like or an area you think you might be interested in at some point in the future.

For instance my daughter has her heart set on helping out with grunt work at a vets or groomers (as she wants to work with animals when she's older) ... her fall back is a 'Books a Million' type shop when she gets a saturday job because like me she's a bookworm (and she realises there will likely be a staff discount ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post

If this is a career you're interested in doing eventually then I think its a great opportunity personally, I'd taken paycuts and done a fair bit of work gratis in the past if its helped me gain skills I thought would help me further down the line (and in most cases its paid off).

PS - In the UK you'll be underpaid as an intern, but you will get paid - no idea about how it is in America.

Quote:
2. Newspapers are a industry that is going to be extinct in the future and as far as I can recall Internship is another term for "work your ass off for little or no money while your bosses know that and take advantage of it" SO
While Newspapers are likely to continue to decline to some extent the 'skillset' gained from working within one could easily translate to whatever future medium replaces them (website or whatever) - also don't forget a lot of newspapers are becoming increasingly online (indeed one of the interesting things for me with amazons reader is that you can get newspapers automatically delivered to it - if I could get a UK paper that way every day I'd have bought one already ).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-01-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders so I wouldnt worry about you getting into the more seedy side of restaurant afterhours bizzyness (if you know what I mean) but it does exist.

what do you mean? give details.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
a fast food restaurant is not what were talking about and keep this in mind too. Generally, the nicer the restaurant the more money you'll make and the less difficult the job will be. I am not at all suggesting shirking good effort BUT working at a Denny's where you have 15 tables assigned to you at a $3 tip a table is much less desirable than a nicer restaurant where you have 3-4 tables at $20 a table tip. Something to consider. I always felt awful for the Denny's waiter, sweating his ass off, dealing with dumb punks at 2am.

But, like I said in my previous post, depending upon the laws of his state, he may not be able to serve alcohol until he's 18. Since he's 16, we wouldn't hire him as a server here in Texas. There aren't many restaurants out there where you can get $20/table that don't serve alcohol.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
lurker
High School JV

Not all internships are low-paying -- most of the ones I've seen paid an insane amount, although those are usually for college students. You may want to check out co-op jobs if your school has something like that. When I was in high school, I was able to get a job doing filing and stuff for a law office. My guidance counselor arranged for me to interview with them (it helps if you have decent grades). This was great for me since I was considering the field, so it was a good way to see what lawyers actually do, I got class credit for it, it paid better than minimum wage, and it was very easy. Plus, it looked good on my resume and made it easy to get other office jobs later on.

It's very admirable that you're being so responsible about this!
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
But, like I said in my previous post, depending upon the laws of his state, he may not be able to serve alcohol until he's 18. Since he's 16, we wouldn't hire him as a server here in Texas. There aren't many restaurants out there where you can get $20/table that don't serve alcohol.

(sorry for the 'aside')

Out of interest can an underage waiter not hand out drinks in America then?

In England you can't serve (ie. pour) drinks underage but you're ok with taking them to a table as a waiter (or at least we did when I worked in restaurants as a kid ).
Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #28
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
If money is an objective (and you have a car) you could also look into delivering papers. It does involve waking up somewhat earlier than your average 16 year old might like to, but the money is pretty damn good for minimal work (although with the cost of gas now I'm not sure how that weighs in -- I only ever did it way back in the 80's on my bike).

Did this from ages 12-18 (didn't need a car because I delivered to a condo complex close to my house...roughly 80+ papers daily) working barely an hour a day...that included collecting every other week, something you'll likely not have to do anymore as I'm sure everybody is required to pay in advance or is billed directly.

I also worked security at the local stadium for sporting events, concerts, trade shows, etc...I started that job at 16 and started in the parking lot. Money wasn't great to start but it is very easy to work your way up as I was a supervisor by 18 and making pretty good money to sit on my butt during events.

Never worked at a restaurant, but I have a couple of friends who work 9-5 jobs but still continue to work at restaurants in the evenings on weekends and make sick money doing it. Obviously those are the most desirable shifts but impress your boss and you could find yourself working those shifts.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
(sorry for the 'aside')

Out of interest can an underage waiter not hand out drinks in America then?

In England you can't serve (ie. pour) drinks underage but you're ok with taking them to a table as a waiter (or at least we did when I worked in restaurants as a kid ).

I can't say for sure about the entire country, but in Texas a server has to be at least 18 to be able to handle alcohol. I know of some places, such as our local bowling alley, that has servers that are 16 and 17, but if a person orders alcohol the bartender has to bring it over. Most restaurants don't want to deal with that, since it's a legal liability and because it's extra work for the bartender.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kmart pays 2 dollars a credit app if your good at pitching them you can make a really decent wage. Plus you get 10 percent off at sears so if your moms needs a fridge or something thatll help. Or if you want an LCD or something. On the downside kmart sux
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #31
Barkeep49
Coordinator

In Illinois, you have to be 18 to serve drinks, generally speaking, but there are certain jobs where you can do it at 16.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

My only piece of advice is to stay far, far away from Steve and Barry's if they have one around you.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote