Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

An idea for a Fantasy Football Help Thread- Starters

It's always tough to really know who is going to see the most playing time for teams you really don't know about- a lot of different fantasy sites say different things, but the local fans always have the best idea. For QB its really easy, but for # 2 RB, and the # 2s & 3s at WR it can be tough to know who is going to see the most PT.
Since we have such a large group of people here, fans of every team. I thought it would be a good idea to pool our knowledge and help everyone for upcoming fantasy football drafts.

My team is the Saints and here is how I see it...
QB - Drew Brees (no question here), Backup QB Mark Brunell- has looked solid, but I'm praying I do not have to see him at all this year.
RB - Duece McAllister will see the majority of the carries if he stays healthy, Reggie Bush will see a lot as well- and will also catch A LOT of passes. Behind them its Peirre Thomas & Aaron Stecker- I think Stecker will see more time than Thomas this year.
WR- Marques Colston is the # 1 guy, no question about it. Behind him I believe David Patten will see more catches, but Devery Henderson will see more yards / more big plays. Robert Meachem will also catch some passes- and will probably improve as the season goes on... I wouldn't pick him on my team though.
TE- Jeremy Shockey # 1 guy, the backup guy who is going to catch passes will be Billy Miller.
Kicker- this one is still up in the air, but I think Martin Gramatica will win out the job at least to start the season- but I'd be really careful in drafting a Saints kicker as the other guy (Melhaff) could easily be the guy to make the team.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 08-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Racer
College Benchwarmer

My team are the Colts.

QB - Peyton Manning, Backup QB: Jim Sorgi. The other two may or may not get cut depending on how the Colts feel about Manning's health.

RB Joseph Addai Backup RB: Dominic Rhodes 2nd Backup: Mike Hart 3rd Backup and may or may not make the team: Kenton Keith (because the Colts are getting tired about his off the field troubles).

WR: Reggie Wayne is our #1 and had overtaken Marvin Harrison before Harrison got hurt last year. Harrison is the #2. Anthony Gonzalez is the slot receiver. I'm not sure who will replace Wayne or Harrison if either one got hurt (maybe Roy Hall). They drafted Gonzalez with the intention of him being a slot receiver (I'm guessing they think he can be a dangerous one like Wes Welker) and not as a #1 or #2 WR.

TE: Dallas Clark. They also like to use him as a slot receiver some.

Kicker: Adam Vinatieri
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I have a question for 49ers fans.

Is the underground fantasy football hype around 2008 6th round pick Josh Morgan from Virginia Tech legit? Does he actually have a chance to start and does he have potential to have a rookie season like the one that Marquis Colston had?

Also to Denver fans. Who is the #2 WR. Darrell Jackson or Eddie Royal?

Now to Seattle fans. Who has the edge second starting wide receiver position to begin the season? Ben Obomanu or Courtney Taylor?

Final question to Miami Dolphin fans. I've read Derek Hagen looks like the best receiver in Dolphins camp. Do you think he'll have a good season this year?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Really, Deuce is expected to get more carries than Bush again this year? Hmm, makes me nervous to draft Bush, I had moved him highly up, to I think 8 or 9 on my board this year...

As for the Bengals, everything is set except RB.

As of today, the Bengals starting RB is still Rudi, but I guess ESPN is reporting that we are shopping him around for a (4th?) WR.

So, that wouldn't surprise me or really bother me at this point. If he's out of the picture, every fantasy board has Kenny Watson up there, but I have a feeling Chris Perry is going to get more touches this year, if he can stay healthy. They've both been 3rd down backs in the past, so it'll be interesting to see who carries the load, if not just split down the middle.

In summary, don't draft a Bengals RB.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

In Detroit it is looking like this:

QB: Kitna, he is set in stone. Backup is Dan Orlovsky

RB: Tatum Bell could start the season as starter, but Kevin Smith is expected to win the job at some point and will probably end up with more carries.

WR: Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are the starters and are locks.

TE: Dan Campbell will probably start, but the Lions are not known for using their Tight Ends much. I would avoid them at all costs.

K: Jason Hanson is the kicker, but is currently fighting off a hip flexor.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
As of today, the Bengals starting RB is still Rudi, but I guess ESPN is reporting that we are shopping him around for a (4th?) WR.

I have heard that Chad Johnson has a major shoulder injury. It would explain the Chris Henry signing.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants-

QB Eli is cemented as the starter

RB Jacobs is the starter but Bradshaw was brilliant at times last year and Drougns took alot of Jacobs goal line carries away. I would steer clear of and Giant RB as your first option

WR Burress is a lock and Toomer will probably be the other starter but expect Smith to take away the job at some point. Hixon has looked great at times and Manningham could be a steal late in a draft.

TE Kevin Boss could be an absolut steal for you. Offensivly he is excellent and can make some huge plays

Kicker- Tynes is hurt and the rookie from OSU looks shakey, stay away
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I have a question for 49ers fans.

Is the underground fantasy football hype around 2008 6th round pick Josh Morgan from Virginia Tech legit? Does he actually have a chance to start and does he have potential to have a rookie season like the one that Marquis Colston had?

Trying hard not to let my bias show...here are the facts, as I know them.

1) Josh Morgan has looked like the best WR on the team throughout the entire pre-season.

2) Even so, I'm positive that Isaac Bruce is ahead of him on the depth chart, and he's going to have a hard time getting past Arnaz Battle and Bryant Johnson. This means that Morgan will probably be the #3 or #4 receiver.

3) JT O'Sullivan is the 49ers' starting Quarterback. Mike Martz or no Mike Martz, that's gotta be a scary thing.

So even if EVERYTHING works out in Morgan's favor, the 49ers aren't likely to have a very strong passing attack. #3 and #4 receivers on teams with a weak passing game aren't really a great bet. Unless your league is insanely deep, I'd just keep an eye on Morgan until the first few weeks of the season are done with.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
Vince
Pro Starter

With that being said...

San Francisco 49ers:

QB - JT O'Sullivan is the starter (for now) and Alex Smith is #2. Shaun Hill has seen very, very little playing time in pre-season due to a tired arm. If you have a 49ers QB on your fantasy roster, you need far more help than I can provide.

RB - Frank Gore is the #1, and he should be a nice option for many fantasy teams out there. DeShaun Foster and Michael Robinson will split backup duties - I don't expect either to put up the numbers they would need to be a viable fantasy option, and if Gore goes down they'll probably STILL be splitting time. There's been a lot of buzz about a kid named Clayton who led the NFL in rushing yards in the pre-season...but word out of Niner camp is that he's unlikely to make the team for the second year in a row (we cut him last season after a similarly impressive training camp).

WR - There isn't much going on here, but here's how it looks to shake out come opening day:

1. Isaac Bruce
2. Bryant Johnson
3. Arnaz Battle
4. Josh Morgan
5. Jason Hill
6. Dominique Zeigler / Ashley Lelie

Even though I said above that you should probably stay away from Josh Morgan...he's probably the only WR the 49ers have worthy of serious consideration as a fantasy option. If ANYONE on this team is going to be a productive fantsy WR, it's him. And what I mean by that is: "The 49ers aren't going to have a viable fantasy WR unless Josh Morgan pulls a Marques Colston and is an absolute stud." Rumor has it that Lelie will be cut, due to nagging injuries keeping him off the practice and pre-season field. However, he's a perfect fit for Martz's offense if he's healthy, so he might surprise.

TE - Vernon Davis. That's all there is to it. He doesn't really fit Martz's offensive scheme too well, but he's too valuable an asset to be ignored. I think he's probably not going to do very well this season though.

K - Joe Nedney - Should be a decent fantasy option. Niner Offense = not so hot, so you can imagine there will be more Field Goal opportunities than TDs.

D - The 49er defense looks absolutely amazing this year. Getting a healthy Manny Lawson to pair with Patrick Willis and adding Justin Smith alone would be amazing, but we also added Takeo Spikes, and will be able to use Tully Banta-Cain in a more specialized role this year. The 49ers Defense would be a great sleeper pick if their offense wasn't so horrible, and liable to leave the defense out on the field too much. I still think the 49er Defense is worth a look in larger leagues.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 08-26-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I have heard that Chad Johnson has a major shoulder injury. It would explain the Chris Henry signing.

Sorry, but ESPN is just doing dumbass shock reporting. First, they say "Johnson has torn labrum, may still play in 2008." Now I'm reading that he is going to start in week 1. Which he is. Kellen Winslow played all of '07 with the same injury.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Hey man, JT O'Sullivan has been on my radar for like 5 years! (When he got traded for CB Mike McKenzie)
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
Jas_lov
College Starter

Packers-

QB- I'm not sure on this one as there hasn't been much said about it in the past 2 months but I assume that the starter is Aaron Rodgers. Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn are the backups and God help us all if Aaron Rodgers goes down.

RB- Ryan Grant is a top back and he's getting drafted in round 2 in most drafts. He returned to practice Sunday and will play in the Packers final preseason game on Thursday. The backup is Brandon Jackson.

WR- Driver and Jennings are the starters. Jones, Martin, and Nelson will all be used. Driver and Jennings are solid picks for your fantasy team.

TE- Donald Lee is the starter. Tory Humphrey and Jermichael Finley are the backups. There are quite a few fantasy TEs better than Lee out there so you could probably get someone better but Lee is decent.

K- Mason Crosby is one of the top kickers going in the fantasy drafts.

DEF- Top 10 defense. Hawk and Pickett have been sidelined by injuries and they need them back. McCarthy said they should be back by the opener.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Now to Seattle fans. Who has the edge second starting wide receiver position to begin the season? Ben Obomanu or Courtney Taylor?

Fair if I call it a toss up? Personally this preseason I've liked what I've seen from Jordan Kent more than Obomanu or Taylor, but Obomanu is the more polished route runner and Taylor has some great physical tools as well. I do think it's safe to say that you're going to see some different packages on the field, but in the end I think the Seahawks will explore their refound ability to utilize their backs and tight ends in the passing game and look to their WR's for big plays moreso than moving the sticks. And in the end, whoever gets it only will have it until the bye week as Engram *should* be back after that and worst case for Branch is likely week 7 at which point the young guys will be a bit burried unless they've really exploded out of the gate or other injuries have occured.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Packers-

QB- I'm not sure on this one as there hasn't been much said about it in the past 2 months but I assume that the starter is Aaron Rodgers. Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn are the backups and God help us all if Aaron Rodgers goes down.

RB- Ryan Grant is a top back and he's getting drafted in round 2 in most drafts. He returned to practice Sunday and will play in the Packers final preseason game on Thursday. The backup is Brandon Jackson.

WR- Driver and Jennings are the starters. Jones, Martin, and Nelson will all be used. Driver and Jennings are solid picks for your fantasy team.

TE- Donald Lee is the starter. Tory Humphrey and Jermichael Finley are the backups. There are quite a few fantasy TEs better than Lee out there so you could probably get someone better but Lee is decent.

K- Mason Crosby is one of the top kickers going in the fantasy drafts.

DEF- Top 10 defense. Hawk and Pickett have been sidelined by injuries and they need them back. McCarthy said they should be back by the opener.

With the little Brohm and Flynn have done in the preseason, I would not at all be surprised to see them bring in a vet and have one of these two either put on the practice squad or cut (Flynn, if that were the case)

Otherwise I agree with everything else. I think Lee could be a really late sleeper, probably more as backup TE if anything.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Final question to Miami Dolphin fans. I've read Derek Hagen looks like the best receiver in Dolphins camp. Do you think he'll have a good season this year?

The Fins sites are saying he has been the best WR in preseason, and that his strengths mesh well with Pennington's tendency to throw short (or inability to throw long if you prefer). Even considering who/what will be throwing to him, I have hope for a breakout year.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Really, Deuce is expected to get more carries than Bush again this year? Hmm, makes me nervous to draft Bush, I had moved him highly up, to I think 8 or 9 on my board this year...

Duece and Reggie are probably going to see a much closer split than 2 years ago, late in the game when we are trying to get 4 yards a pop to seal the deal- Duece will get most of those carries.

That is if Duece can stay healthy, and with Reggie's ability to catch the ball I see him being a much better fantasy pick. You had him 8 or 9. If I was picking 10 I would def pick him, and be happy with the pick.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote