Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
mattlanta
Mascot

Blackberry Phone Info

Hey, guys. Just wondering what the best type of blackberry is. I'm looking to get a new phone (I have a RAZR V3 right now) around September 12. I was going to get the Blackberry Curve 8310, but my dad got it, and I don't really want the same phone as he does. And I looked at it, and I didn't really like it in my hands. I was thinking something like the 8820 or the 8800. I do a lot of texting, but I don't browse the internet or whatever. Just wanted to know if anyone knew about blackberries if they could help me out. Thanks. Oh and I'm with Cingular.

Last edited by mattlanta : 08-20-2008 at 10:33 PM.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have the Pearl(8100) and wouldn't recommend it. The modified qwerty keyboard is kind of jacked up and they don't really have the whole text thing down. It's very difficult to make certain words IMO. It gets frustrating when you try to type things out and can't get it exactly the way you want.

Media apps are pretty meh as well.

The email stuff is pretty top notch though, as is the internet and the messenger app. I wish I would have gone with the curve for the qwerty thing.

Don't know much about the 8800, but it looked nice in the store. I don't think that one has a camera though, so if that's important it might be a problem.

You gotta be careful with the trackball too, as I've already had problems with mine. As has another dude I work with.

By the time you get the phone and probably the basic blackberry email plan(I think it's required) your bill will probably be damn close to that of the Iphone.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
mattlanta
Mascot

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely tell my dad about the required email plan (he's materialistic, lol. that's why he wanted the phone. He doesn't even text or browse the internet). Anyways, mind if you tell me what the email plan rate actually is?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Rich1033
High School Varsity

The new Blackberry Bold should be coming out soon and looks very nice. You may want to wait for that.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

The Curve is the best they have to offer. If you don't like that, then wait for the Bold.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
mattlanta
Mascot

Ehh... it's still going to be expensive. I'm only upgrading my phone right now that's why I was looking towards the Blackberries which is usually expensive but I get a discount off for a contract renewal. But I hear there are required plans for Blackberry. Is it true? If so, I will not buy a rate plan that I don't even use so I'll look for a different brand of phone if I'm required to take up a rate plan that I know I don't use.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I know that with Sprint you have to buy an additional Blackberry plan. That's why I went with a Palm Centro instead...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I know that with Sprint you have to buy an additional Blackberry plan. That's why I went with a Palm Centro instead...

Really? I have Sprint as well and did not have any sort of Blackberry plan or email plan thing.

I have the Curve 8330 and absolutely love it. I just got the unlimited everything plan. It makes sense for me since I get reimbursed by my company for half of it. But I dont recall seeing any other stipulations when I was looking at the other plans. Maybe that's why I did not have to get a specific Blackberry charge?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Emiliano
College Prospect

I definitely recommend the Curve, especially if you do a lot of texting (QWERTY keyboard). The 8800 series is also a good choice, although it doesn't have the camera (don't know if you're interested in that) and is slightly bigger. As far as the Pearl series, I didn't really like it: the thing has the "cool" feel, but IMO it's an inferior device.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
I definitely recommend the Curve, especially if you do a lot of texting (QWERTY keyboard). The 8800 series is also a good choice, although it doesn't have the camera (don't know if you're interested in that) and is slightly bigger. As far as the Pearl series, I didn't really like it: the thing has the "cool" feel, but IMO it's an inferior device.

I chose the pearl 8130 because the curve wasn't out for sprint at the time. While I will probably switch in Feb, the Pearl is not as bad as everyone says. I can text just as fast with the SureType keyboard as I could with my Samsung Black Jack. It's a solid phone that has served me very well. It's smaller and with Att, you can get and 8120 with WiFi

I'd wait until October to get a new phone. There are a few models coming out from several phone manufacturers that are going to be really nice. Blackberry Bold is one of them (though for me, it seems too damn wide).
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

With Sprint, it's included with the Simply Everything plan. Most (if not all) phone companies will charge you extra for using a BB because you access the BB servers and the phone company pays BB for that.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I have the curve and highly recommend it.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

At work, our phones are up for renewal and we have a Blackberry rep coming in this morning to do their dog and pony show. The thing is, I'm going to be the one setting up all the backend stuff so it'll integrate with our email system...any techies here have any experience with their Enterprise Server (we're a Novell shop and use Groupwise) and if so, do you have any feedback?

I'm also curious about which phone to get if we go this route so I'll be checking this thread regularly.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 08-21-2008 at 09:39 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
dolfin
High School JV

I would also recommend the Curve. Pretty solid device. I've had several users in my office switch to the Curve after I got the first (now mine is the crappiest of the Curves! ).

I use Enterprise Server, but with Exchange, and its relatively simple to administer. I don't really spend much time with it after I set up a user. Then again, I've only got 12 users, so my experience might not be a great comparison!
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
I use Enterprise Server, but with Exchange, and its relatively simple to administer. I don't really spend much time with it after I set up a user. Then again, I've only got 12 users, so my experience might not be a great comparison!

Our initial rollout probably won't be more than a dozen users but if things go well we may make Blackberry our "official" standard and I'm sure the number of users will increase but not by all that much.

Not sure if you guys used any other PDA prior to the Blackberry, but if so, is there a huge improvement seen by both you, as somebody supporting them, and your users? Do the users find them easier to use and "better" than a PDA with something like Intellisync?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
I chose the pearl 8130 because the curve wasn't out for sprint at the time. While I will probably switch in Feb, the Pearl is not as bad as everyone says. I can text just as fast with the SureType keyboard as I could with my Samsung Black Jack. It's a solid phone that has served me very well. It's smaller and with Att, you can get and 8120 with WiFi

It's not bad, at all. My co-workers still use it, and I agree is a very solid device, as all BlackBerrys BTW. The thing is that I strongly prefer a QWERTY keyboard on smartphones, but that's just personal taste. I'm sure one could get used pretty fast to the SureType keyboard (I've used it for 2 months only, then switched to 8800).

Last edited by Emiliano : 08-21-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
dolfin
High School JV

Before we switched to BES, we used the old "forward a copy of the email to the device" routine, which required the user to sync up daily for contacts and calendar. It was really a huge plus to have Calendar/contacts sync over wireless and not require any interaction of the user.

Unfortunately, we've always had just Blackberry so I don't really have any experience with anything else other than one user (soon to be 2) uses an iPhone now.

BTW, we use a free version of BES, I think its called Blackberry Professional, since we have a low number of users. There is a user limit, but I don't recall off hand what it is. Maybe 30?
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
Hurst2112
College Starter

another thing to note is if you want a BB with high speed data. As of now, Tmobile and Att don't have 3G available for their BBs. Both have BBs that have WiFi.

Also, the Sprint and Verizon EVDO isn't as fast as Att's 3g. At least not for the cities area up here.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
BTW, we use a free version of BES, I think its called Blackberry Professional, since we have a low number of users. There is a user limit, but I don't recall off hand what it is. Maybe 30?

I've got a "Quick Start" version of the BES for Groupwise that comes with 5 free CALs but only supports a max of 15 CALs. It'll work for us for now with minimal costs, but if it catches on it could get pricey. Not to mention having to upgrade to the full BES if we need more CALs...BOO!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd wait until October to get a new phone. There are a few models coming out from several phone manufacturers that are going to be really nice. Blackberry Bold is one of them (though for me, it seems too damn wide).

I can type fast, it's just that it makes up garbage words. And if you spell something wrong by one letter, good luck going back and trying to correct your mistake without retyping the whole word again. It has gotten a bit better after I used it for awhile. I also went in and added a bunch of words to the one database, so they actually pop out.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
The new Blackberry Bold should be coming out soon and looks very nice. You may want to wait for that.

What are the new features of that? Any monthly pricing info?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #22
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What are the new features of that? Any monthly pricing info?

Here's one of the latest review I've read. Basically, it has 3G, WiFi, 1 GB on-board, 2.0 MP camera, GPS and better browsing. Don't know about the US pricing, at the moment.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

How do blackberries compare with other smart phones, such as the iPhone?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #24
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just had a Rogers rep come in to pimp their latest and greatest...primarily the Blackberry because we're looking at going that route. He said that RIM will be coming out with an iPhone-esque device within 12-16 months. Their primary focus has always been the corporate customer but times are changing with some of the newer offerings, the Bold, for example, with all the multimedia functionality. They are also trying to to move into the "we can be your only device/phone" market with technology that will allow you to use VoIP over your internet connection so you can get rid of your LAN line at home.

It's such a competitive market...wait a week and somebody will have something better.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
mattlanta
Mascot

I'm unattracted to the Blackberries now because I heard of the atrocious rate plans that you're required to use with the Blackberry. I'm leaning towards a Pantech Duo now. Any suggestions guys
Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #26
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I'm unattracted to the Blackberries now because I heard of the atrocious rate plans that you're required to use with the Blackberry. I'm leaning towards a Pantech Duo now. Any suggestions guys

Pantech Duos aren't that great. Had some bad reviews.

I'm not sure of what rate plans you are talking. I'm guessing you mean for Att (since you are looking at a Pantech Duo). Att is pretty expensive all around. Their unlimited data for smartphones is the main reason I left them. They kept hiking the rates.

The average BB data plan is about $30. That usually covers internet and email.

BBs are the most stable of the smartphone IMO. I've had several Windows Mobile phones and while I love some of the things they do better than BBs, I can honestly say that the BB works everytime.

In regards to how a BB stacks up to an iphone...

It's a matter of what you want in a phone. iphone has a great interface. It's obviously revolutionary. There are things that the BB just cant match. However, the iphone still lacks in some key categories. For me, I need tactile buttons. Don't need them but typing on a real keyboard feels better to me. I've spent some time with the iphone and it wasn't my cup of tea. The touch interface wasn't that great (for typing).

The messaging (email) features of the iphone aren't as good as BB. RIM has really set the bar in that department. Heck, with my gmail, I get the emails faster to my phone than my gmail.com page. I'm told that gmail on iphone is not that fast...5-10 minutes or so. Not the biggest deal but that was one factor in my decision to go with BB.

As I said before, I'll probably not be with sprint much longer. I'm a fan of GSM phones and service. TMobile is starting their 3G service and after February, I'll probably go with them. Also, their WiFi calling is a great deal, especially if you have wireless at home and at work.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The average BB data plan is about $30. That usually covers internet and email.

What does a typical plan cost for calling, texting (unlimited), and e-mail. Is the GPS extra?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tmobile is 20 bucks extra for BB email and internet. You can just get the email for 10 bucks. If you need enterprise email, it's 30.

Texting unlimited is 15 bucks.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #29
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What does a typical plan cost for calling, texting (unlimited), and e-mail. Is the GPS extra?

depends who your carrier is.

With sprint, I can get unlimited everything for 99.99 with my BB. That also includes navigation (my BB has GPS). Also includes sprint TV (has NFL Network and a Pittsburgh radio station feed, among other channels).

Most carriers have some sort of 'unlimited plan'. Some are $129. Some are less. Main issue to think about it what carrier you are going with. 3G isn't available in all markets. EVDO isn't available in some markets. Then, I'd choose a phone, then a plan.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #30
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tmobile is 20 bucks extra for BB email and internet. You can just get the email for 10 bucks. If you need enterprise email, it's 30.

That's right.

Tmobile is pretty awesome with customer support. If I wasn't hung up on the hi speed data, I would have went to tmobile. Looking back, I sacrificed WiFi (both calling and internet) for a cheaper Sprint plan that had high speed data. I wasn't thinking.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If I can get some of the connection issues resolved with my DSL(keeps cutting out), I'll probably sign up for Tmobile at home. 10 bucks a month for unlimited calling is not bad at all. Plus I can get my wife a wifi handset and if she works from home it'll be excellent.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #32
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
If I can get some of the connection issues resolved with my DSL(keeps cutting out), I'll probably sign up for Tmobile at home. 10 bucks a month for unlimited calling is not bad at all. Plus I can get my wife a wifi handset and if she works from home it'll be excellent.

From the reviews I read about the WiFi calling, it seems to be pretty pro-user. If you take a call on the WiFi at home (free) and leave your signal area, the phone switches to regular cell but you still don't get charged for that same call.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #33
BigDPW
College Prospect

I just picked up my Curve 8330 from the office and am trying to figure out if there is any free document viewers out there for blackberry? Or at least a good on that is cheap...

I need to be able to view my word files on the fly (not so much edit them though)... Any advice?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
rjolley
College Starter

I thought document viewers for Word and Excel documents were built it.

At least, I don't remember loading one and was able to view those when they were email attachments.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #35
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I know I can view Excel files on my 8330 wo any extra software.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
mattlanta
Mascot

I don't know what phone to get anymore. I'm still not quite sure if I want or even need a blackberry, but then again it's the only one with a QWERTY keyboard that AT&T offers other than the Pantech Duo which I'm really hearing bad reviews about...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #37
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I thought document viewers for Word and Excel documents were built it.

At least, I don't remember loading one and was able to view those when they were email attachments.

Okay I will try that...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just to clarify what was written up thread since I do some work for Sprint, Enterprise email does not come with Sprints Simply Everything plans it also requires an addon and it's $20.

Now, anyone have a HTC Touch they'd care to comment on? That's the phone I've been looking at but I haven't been able to play with one. I know a lot of people with the Mogul which gets good reviews from them but not so much on the internet which says the Touch is better. Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I don't know what phone to get anymore. I'm still not quite sure if I want or even need a blackberry, but then again it's the only one with a QWERTY keyboard that AT&T offers other than the Pantech Duo which I'm really hearing bad reviews about...

You can probably buy a lot of unlocked phones with QWERTY as well if you wanted to go that route. Hell, take something decent for free w/ contract and then just flip it on ebay NIB and buy something you want.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #40
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Just to clarify what was written up thread since I do some work for Sprint, Enterprise email does not come with Sprints Simply Everything plans it also requires an addon and it's $20.

Now, anyone have a HTC Touch they'd care to comment on? That's the phone I've been looking at but I haven't been able to play with one. I know a lot of people with the Mogul which gets good reviews from them but not so much on the internet which says the Touch is better. Any thoughts?

I couldn't imagine the Touch being that great. I've read that it's more stable than the Mogul but come on...a Windows machine that doesn't have some sort of keyboard or number pad to enter text?!? You have to use a stylus for all your messaging? That doesn't make sense. Great looking device but I'm guessing it's strictly for business people who don't need to write emails, just read them.

Also, be careful with Sprint. Their BB service doesn't allow for MMS. I should say that Sprint doesn't allow BB users to send MMS. May not be a big deal for most but I've really missed that feature from my Windows phones on ATT. Sprint is dragging their feet with the implementation of MMS.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #41
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
You can probably buy a lot of unlocked phones with QWERTY as well if you wanted to go that route. Hell, take something decent for free w/ contract and then just flip it on ebay NIB and buy something you want.

I've bought phones off of ebay (new) and haven't had any issues. It depends on the carrier and what they allow on their networks. Sprint and Verizon phones won't work with ATT and Tmobile.

HTC has some cool phones. Sony Ericsson does too. How much you are willing to spend plays a huge part in buying a phone outright. A lot of the good, qwerty keyboard phones can be pricey.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #42
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I couldn't imagine the Touch being that great. I've read that it's more stable than the Mogul but come on...a Windows machine that doesn't have some sort of keyboard or number pad to enter text?!? You have to use a stylus for all your messaging? That doesn't make sense. Great looking device but I'm guessing it's strictly for business people who don't need to write emails, just read them.

Also, be careful with Sprint. Their BB service doesn't allow for MMS. I should say that Sprint doesn't allow BB users to send MMS. May not be a big deal for most but I've really missed that feature from my Windows phones on ATT. Sprint is dragging their feet with the implementation of MMS.

Yeah I thought about that. Here's the deal. I was thinking about getting an instinct because I want toys with my phone ( or I'd just stick with my very utilitarian phone and plan ) and the Sprint TV sounds like a perfect thing to play with ( NFL Network and all ) while I'm on bus trips. The rest of the features are less important but hey, if you can get them all the better and the Touch has a lot of the same features.

I don't really send text messages and at my age I can just my age as an excuse not to. I guess I could write answer some emails on the trip but honestly, that would happen but not too much. Regular web surfing would be slowed I'll admit and that isn't too great but on the other hand, I'm betting opera mobile would be a better browser than the Instincts.

Also, I'm not too sure how much worse the screen can be to me because my eyes are getting bad and even using that keyboard is going to require me to dig out the reading glasses so I'm fairly certain that this would discourage my typing text more than the fact I had to use a stylus.

Really, the feature that I really, really want is a phone that can play Rhapsody's streaming content. A few phones have it but I haven't found a sprint phone that does and I want Sprint for their prices and their network and content.

So, given all that, any ideas on a phone for my needs?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #43
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
So, given all that, any ideas on a phone for my needs?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 08-26-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #44
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, the blackberry bold is apparently out and available. I have heard they were worried about network problems, but I am attracted to the "fastest blackberry ever" pitch, and I'm already tethered to the AT&T network. Anyone hearing a reputable argument against getting one of these?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

I would get it immediately. The EDGE network that the other BBs use is painfully slow. Even if there are hiccups with the 3G network, it will be worth it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #46
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Demo'd one a couple of weeks ago and the battery life was absolutely awful. Granted, that could be network related considering where I work and live is on the outskirts of the city so it had to work a little harder to stay in touch with the network. We (work) went with the Curve for various reasons, the network being one as we went with a different provider, but if I had my personal choice and lived and worked in a better covered area, I would have easily chosen the Bold.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd suggest anyone with a blackberry get a replacement trackball assembly kit. It's only about 10 bucks off of ebay. If your ball ever ceases to work, and you don't carry insurance on your phone, it's a long 3-4 days if you have to wait and order one.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #48
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

My trackball is pretty dirty. It feels gummy and occasionally sticks. I've been trying to find a replacement trackball kit in a store around here, but everybody tells me to just clean it. I've seen the videos on how to clean it, but I wouldn't put it past myself to break the damn thing.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
My trackball is pretty dirty. It feels gummy and occasionally sticks. I've been trying to find a replacement trackball kit in a store around here, but everybody tells me to just clean it. I've seen the videos on how to clean it, but I wouldn't put it past myself to break the damn thing.

I don't think they sell them in stores. I got mine on ebay. It was the trackball assembly, plus the metal ring. I think I paid around 10 bucks, shipped.

I mean, you can take the thing apart, it's not that hard to do. But at some point, it's going to fuck up beyond fixing, and you're stuck with a phone with a big flashing light in the center. It's useless. I've heard if you swab your ball with alcohol wipes, it can help quite a bit.

Awesome phone, absolutely horrid construction on their part. I know I'm harder on shit than the average bear, but complete trackball malfunction is a common problem with these things. Even for the buisiness class people.