Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Something really cool happened on a flight I just took

We flew into Providence from Atlanta recently and there were some soldiers on the plane.

when the plane landed before it reached the gate the flight attendent got on the PA and made a speach saying that she knows some people were going on vacation and some were returning home, however, no one had been gone as long as these soldiers who were returning from Iraq. She asked that everyone remain seated so these soldiers could get off first and see their famlies.

As the soldiers came down the aisle every person on the plane clapped until the last soldier left and not on person stood up until they were gone.

It was a really touching gesture of support and nice to see no matter how people felt about Bush, the war, etc... everyone supported our boys.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

That's awesome.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

That's very cool.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW I'm told that happens somewhat frequently. And I mean that not to steal your thunder or your appreciation but to point out just how good a thing it really is.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

what airline?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW I'm told that happens somewhat frequently. And I mean that not to steal your thunder or your appreciation but to point out just how good a thing it really is.

I hope it does, it should happen every flight.

My wife and I both travel alot and have never seen anything like it.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
what airline?

delta
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

I imagine many soliders fly out of Atlanta, everytime I am at the airport I see a few usually.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've seen quite a few flights where they ask for military personnel at the gates and give them first class seats if they have open ones.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I imagine many soliders fly out of Atlanta, everytime I am at the airport I see a few usually.

from my experiences every airport I see soldiers at.

When I worked for TGI Fridays I ate there for free ( I was upper managment) and whenever I saw soldiers eating at an airport fridays I would pick their tab up anonymously
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

This talk of soldiers and airports reminds me of a touching Budweiser tribute to our soldiers which aired several years ago (and still does from time to time).

Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I wonder if they charged them for extra bags...

Airlines suck. It's the people who work for them that we applaud here for doing the right thing.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

A person in uniform should get discounts everywhere (like seniors), and should get top notch treatment like first class tickets
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We flew into Providence from Atlanta recently and there were some soldiers on the plane.

when the plane landed before it reached the gate the flight attendent got on the PA and made a speach saying that she knows some people were going on vacation and some were returning home, however, no one had been gone as long as these soldiers who were returning from Iraq. She asked that everyone remain seated so these soldiers could get off first and see their famlies.

As the soldiers came down the aisle every person on the plane clapped until the last soldier left and not on person stood up until they were gone.

It was a really touching gesture of support and nice to see no matter how people felt about Bush, the war, etc... everyone supported our boys.

Awww... I would seriously tear up if I saw something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When I worked for TGI Fridays I ate there for free ( I was upper managment) and whenever I saw soldiers eating at an airport fridays I would pick their tab up anonymously

Very generous of you, Lathum.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I wonder if they charged them for extra bags...

Airlines suck. It's the people who work for them that we applaud here for doing the right thing.
They do. Some do at least. I heard this on the radio today or yesterday about how the soldiers have to go through a somewhat lengthy process to be reimbursed.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
They do. Some do at least. I heard this on the radio today or yesterday about how the soldiers have to go through a somewhat lengthy process to be reimbursed.

We make everything so complicated in this country. Here is my plan...

1. Show your Military ID
2. Get on the plane
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

It's definitely very good. When I was flying weekly I was on a few flights that had military folks and this happened every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I've seen quite a few flights where they ask for military personnel at the gates and give them first class seats if they have open ones.

I was never in this position, but flew with folks who were often (or always) in first class, and the frequent business travellers especially would almost always give up their first class seats for soldiers on the plane.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This happened the same on Delta this week. Once from Savannah to Atlanta, and again from Atlanta to Dallas/Ft. Worth.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Most of the airlines now instruct their flight crews to do this anytime that there is military personnel on the plane. It's good PR for the airline and obviously a great gesture to boot.

When we lived in Baltimore a couple of years ago, we'd see this all the time. Baltimore was one of the big hubs where military personnel would leave to go to war and return home. So there was military personnel on almost every flight going in and out of the airport. I believe that New York and Atlanta also have very similar military traffic.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #20
SnDvls
Pro Starter

American Airlines just announced that for Active Duty Militray the 3rd bag fee will be waived (so no paperwork to get reimbursed) and that the 1st & 2nd bag fees have always been waived...class move on their part.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What ever happened to military personnel flying free on military transport?

My uncle was Air Force and used to brag how he could go anywhere in the world for free.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
American Airlines just announced that for Active Duty Militray the 3rd bag fee will be waived (so no paperwork to get reimbursed) and that the 1st & 2nd bag fees have always been waived...class move on their part.

quick and smart about face from their initial response which was, "They get reimbursed [so shut up]".

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I just saw this post - that must have been a touching moment. Very classy!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote