Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Driving Across Country with 3 kids = hell

Yeah....with the cost of airfare going through the roof and having to buy 5 tickets to fly the family I thought I would be smart and save about $1000 and drive back to Utah for the family reunion.

The trip from Buffalo to Utah took us two days (32 hours total drive time), the kids were great and it was a happy time as it was so easy.

Que the week of family activities, and it was hectic. Then our drive home...Wife ended up getting sick, stopping almost every hour on the 2nd day out...turned a 2 1/2 day drive into 3 with us driving almost 24 hours straight so it would not turn into 4.

My 3 year old was a trooper though, up until he got sick of the car seat, then it was a constant cry and whine session....the 8 year old...different story and my 11 year old was a blessing for us.

Needless to say, I won't be doing this again....

Last edited by MacroGuru : 08-13-2008 at 02:45 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

In other news, water is wet.

In seriousness though, I feel your pain. We drive up and down most of California bi-monthly, I could only imagine cross-country.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Well, at least you got to spend some quality time with those you love most.

Did your mother-in-law die on the trip, and you put her on her son's deck with a note?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
clemsonfan
High School JV

He also tied the dog to his bumper.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

LOL!

Naw, I flirted with a supermodel while driving though!

The wife and I talked about the movie though when an Audi with two hot girls drove by..
Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

My wife did the trip from VA to OK every summer for three years. I, thankfully, managed to avoid the trip... because that was with FIVE kids.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Drove from Muscatine, Iowa to Denton in a 17 foot UHaul Tuesday. No fun, no fun at all. I can only imagine what you had to be going through...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I need to start a business where I drive people across country. Crap, a 32 hour drive should be just that, 32 hours. No more, no exceptions, I can get that done.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I need to start a business where I drive people across country. Crap, a 32 hour drive should be just that, 32 hours. No more, no exceptions, I can get that done.

You could probably do pretty well at it...just advertise outside of Greyhound stations.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
You could probably do pretty well at it...just advertise outside of Greyhound stations.

Hey, don't knock it. No one is getting beheaded at my fictional company like Greyhound, and you don't have to worry about some weirdo trying to feel you up. Unless you piss me off or tell me it's ok to feel up your wife. Plus it's in a car, we can go more places then a bus.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, don't knock it. No one is getting beheaded at my fictional company like Greyhound, and you don't have to worry about some weirdo trying to feel you up. Unless you piss me off or tell me it's ok to feel up your wife. Plus it's in a car, we can go more places then a bus.

Actually, you would probably be one of the only ones I would feel comfortable driving me across the country (I think you have before!) but my wife in your presence....I don't know...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I said nothing happens unless I am given permission. If I get arrested then I am out of business.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Lorena
Unregistered

Not really across country, but we're gonna drive to So. Cal for Thanksgiving so we'll be on the road for a total of about 40 hours, as it's a 20 hour trip each way.

When we lived in Phoenix, we'd drive 6 hours to So.Cal all the time and the kids were used to it, but this is gonna be an extra 4 hours.. should be interesting. I love me some roadtrips though.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Have fun! Send me some cornbread and pumpkin pie.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
If I get arrested then I am out of business.

Not mention...you know...arrested.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a tough enough time driving with three kids 5 hours to see my sister who lives in Canada.. I can't imagine going longer drives then that. I think I would lose my mind.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Canada!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Not really across country, but we're gonna drive to So. Cal for Thanksgiving so we'll be on the road for a total of about 40 hours, as it's a 20 hour trip each way.

When we lived in Phoenix, we'd drive 6 hours to So.Cal all the time and the kids were used to it, but this is gonna be an extra 4 hours.. should be interesting. I love me some roadtrips though.

Uh....
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

And now you all know what school bus drivers go thru every day..but with 50 instead of 3
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Uh....

Haha, oops.

We'll be driving for 10 hours, stop in Las Cruces, NM for the night and finish the rest of the 10 hours the following day. I don't think we can do 20 hours straight, that would be crazy.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Driving across town with two kids is hell enough for me
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Haha, oops.

We'll be driving for 10 hours, stop in Las Cruces, NM for the night and finish the rest of the 10 hours the following day. I don't think we can do 20 hours straight, that would be crazy.

Cruces? Gross...stay in El Paso!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Drove from Muscatine, Iowa to Denton in a 17 foot UHaul Tuesday. No fun, no fun at all. I can only imagine what you had to be going through...

Why were you in Muscatine?
Wait you are from Texas which borders Mexico and you were in a 17 foot UHaul and Muscatine is home to Heinz where there a lot of tomatoes to be picked. Jeeber you are not trasporting illegal things are you?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ha!

My sister in now bugging me to make the 15 hour drive from where we live to Memphis for Thanksgiving.......I'm tempted so we are near family, but I am not to sure yet.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Why were you in Muscatine?
Wait you are from Texas which borders Mexico and you were in a 17 foot UHaul and Muscatine is home to Heinz where there a lot of tomatoes to be picked. Jeeber you are not trasporting illegal things are you?

Heh, no. My grandparents lived in Muscatine. After my grandfather passed away July, we moved my grandmother back down to Texas so she could be close to family...

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Haha, oops.

Crazy? That's not crazy, that is how it is supposed to be done!

You don't have 'The Man' breathing down your neck in a car, you drive 48 straight hours when given the chance. My wife and I have driven from here to Spokane, WA and back, straight through the way there which is about 40 hours. (Straight through that long can include a short 1 hour stop for a nap once you get over the 24 hour period if needed by the driver, but only once.)

On the way back we took a longer route, so we could go through Reno and see family so we did stop in Reno for two days and drive straight through from there.

When I was 19 I drove straight through from Tucson to here with no changing of drivers as the wife wouldn't drive my '62 Wilys Jeep Wagon with a great dane in the front seat with us.

Driving non-stop is the only way to do things.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #27
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Crazy? That's not crazy, that is how it is supposed to be done!

You don't have 'The Man' breathing down your neck in a car, you drive 48 straight hours when given the chance. My wife and I have driven from here to Spokane, WA and back, straight through the way there which is about 40 hours. (Straight through that long can include a short 1 hour stop for a nap once you get over the 24 hour period if needed by the driver, but only once.)

On the way back we took a longer route, so we could go through Reno and see family so we did stop in Reno for two days and drive straight through from there.

When I was 19 I drove straight through from Tucson to here with no changing of drivers as the wife wouldn't drive my '62 Wilys Jeep Wagon with a great dane in the front seat with us.

Driving non-stop is the only way to do things.

Damn, that's a hell of a lot of stamina!