Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Comey
College Starter

This forum provided an interesting commentary...

...at least I think so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The talk about Madden is at a very surprising low. Even with this board collectively getting older, jobs and families cutting into the time that, in years past, would have been spent giving initial observations on the game...there really is no talk about this game.

Really, the "we're getting older and have jobs" doesn't totally apply, as NCAA players found a way to comment and at least let people know they'd be commenting on the game later.

Are there that many people here that have decided to either wait-and-see on Madden, or just not get it all together? I was going to buy the CE because of Head Coach, but I'll just get it off of Craigslist, I think.

So, I see the lack of commentary on this board about the game a commentary on how far the game has fallen. Even though this is a FOF board first, it is still based around sports gaming. With the former centerpiece of sports gaming coming out with their anniversary edition today, does the near silence on this game speak volumes to you?

It sure does to me. When I go past Gamestop later, I'm not stopping.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. It's in the "Don't buy" column for me, and unless I hear that the franchise is fixed via patch, it will remain there. NCAA 2009 will fill my online needs. I think I've bought every other version but 2007 on the first day.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-12-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

I really don't remember a time that console sports gaming was EVER a big topic around here.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Comey
College Starter

I look at the NCAA thread, and the College Hoops 2k8 thread, and disagree with that statement.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Comey
College Starter

I do concede that, at least, what I could find on Madden 08 was limited. But that was also limited to the 360. So I still disagree with molson's statement, but only to a certain extent. I did state that this is a FOF board first, so the focus is more on text-simming...but it's still a gaming board, and NCAA 09 is still talked about in a tremendous manner, numbers-wise, here.

But the point, to me, still remains...there aren't many first impressions because, frankly, there aren't many people who are buying the game today. Or tomorrow. Or Thursday.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

I got bored with Madden around 05 or 06... I bought 08 so I could try it on the Wii. But I have no interest in it this year again.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have an Xbox360 and Wii, but they only ever get turned on when family come in town or some larger group of friends come over and we find a reason to play one of the good group games on it. I think my days of playing games like Madden are just long gone is all.

I remember buying Madden 93, 94, etc back when I was in college, and it was a no brainer. Now a days I just don't have enough time to invest into a 45 minute football game in one sitting, and my reflexes are just too slow to have much enjoyment with it.

I got the version of Madden that came with my xbox 360, and tried playing some online as well as against the computer at the time, but I just wasn't very good at it any more. So I think it just wasn't my game so to speak

If a new version of FOF or BBPF or such came out, I'd be in the middle of the thread, but not for console games any more really.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Madden took a massive step back when it moved to the current gen consoles, and it lost me. I bought '07 for the Wii and enjoyed it, but it was mostly still the old-gen game. I see no reason to buy another version of Madden any time soon.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

To me, Madden is the "same-old same-old". It isn't appreciably different than it was 5 years ago - graphics notwithstanding - and I see no compelling reason to shell out $50.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

For me, it's another football game that doesn't add anything for me. I've actually gone away from getting sports console games at full price and I haven't bought a Madden game since 06'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

In past years I picked it up used around December when I got tired of playing NCAA. Of course that isn't counting last year, as I picked it up on release day because of my obsession of playing with Brian Leonard. I don't see that happening this year thanks to the online leagues I'm in and the large number of people from here, plus my real life buddies, who play on XBL. Plus I'm more of a college fan in general. The game could be a perfect sim of the NFL and I still wouldn't be interested.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Brian Leonard?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Imy obsession of playing with Brian Leonard

This thread just took an interesting turn.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I haven't brought Madden or NBA Live in years. Besides NCAA Football, I try not to give my money to EA Sports. Instead of giving the customer a better product they instead chose to buyout the competition.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

The last one I bought had Culpeper on the cover. Once I figured out that there were some plays that always worked and some moved that always worked no matter the players/stats/situation then the game lost all worth to me.

Its a shit product and has been for most of this decade.

I won't be bothered to buy it again.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Screw you all.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

ESPN NFL 2K5 was the last console football game that held my attention, and I haven't seen anything come out since that equals it.

Last edited by NoMyths : 08-12-2008 at 02:22 PM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Comey
College Starter

2k5 holds a special place in my heart. I'd say why, but nobody would believe why. ; )

Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
ESPN NFL 2K5 was the last console football game that held my attention, and I haven't seen anything come out since that equals it.

Yup. EA's exclusive license was the death knell for NFL gaming. Competition is a good thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #20
Tasan
College Starter

Well, I think it may also have something to do with this being a forum that originally was about a computer game, and since no computer version this year, a few less guys who would normally have it don't, like me. I don't own a console, so I won't be getting this year's version.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Yup. EA's exclusive license was the death knell for NFL gaming. Competition is a good thing.

+1,000

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
Super Ugly
High School JV

I got burned by '07 for the 360. It's a wait-and-see for me every year now, and judging by the first impressions I think I'll just wait and hope for '10.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #23
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. It's in the "Don't buy" column for me, and unless I hear that the franchise is fixed via patch, it will remain there. NCAA 2009 will fill my online needs. I think I've bought every other version but 2007 on the first day.
Franchise is really what keeps me from even being interested. I give in pretty easily when it comes to new games, but the issues this series has had for the last several years with franchise mode rule it out.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

This thread makes me smile.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
Comey
College Starter

I am happy I was able to help you out today!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #26
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I plunged and bought the CE addition (for Head Coach) last night. To me the Madden game is something I can play with friends while Head Coach appears to be the franchise I've always wanted in Madden. All I can really say is that I'm happy that Madden is getting the lead designer of Head Coach for next years game and that they also appear to be listening to their hardcore fans. I'm kind of out of it, so I hope this makes a little sense.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Same here. I've bought every Madden for at least 10 years. However, every 360 version has been a disappointment. NCAA is a disappointment this year except for the online dynasty. So, I'm finally refraining from buying it and the early impressions elsewhere have convinced me that is a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I look at the NCAA thread, and the College Hoops 2k8 thread, and disagree with that statement.

Agreed. Tons of discussion about NCAA and quite a bit about College Hoops as well, which in my opinion is the best console sports game of the past year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

As I said in the other thread, I actually bought the game this year for the first time in three or four versions. The new features that are meant to tweak the game to your skill level would save the game for me if they're even semi-effective.

Of course, ten years ago I would have been one of those hard-core fans who thought this kind of stuff was for wimps. But I just don't have time to spend hours practicing just to get to the point where I'm not picked off on every pass.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #29
Comey
College Starter

I bought College Hoops based on that thread. I haven't gotten into a dynasty yet. I'm having too much fun with the NCAA Tournament.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
As I said in the other thread, I actually bought the game this year for the first time in three or four versions. The new features that are meant to tweak the game to your skill level would save the game for me if they're even semi-effective.

My brother picked it up for the PS3 last night and seemed to indicate that the feature worked pretty well. He did really good in the initial running drills, so it set his running AI to superstar (or whatever the top level is), but then in the game he couldn't run at all, so the feature automatically lowered it and he then found it was pretty appropriate.

So there is hope
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My brother picked it up for the PS3 last night and seemed to indicate that the feature worked pretty well. He did really good in the initial running drills, so it set his running AI to superstar (or whatever the top level is), but then in the game he couldn't run at all, so the feature automatically lowered it and he then found it was pretty appropriate.

So there is hope
Cool, good to know.

I like the idea of the "rewind" feature as well. Now when the AI does something ridiculously dumb, I have an option besides "throw controller to ground and storm out of room".