Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

This scares me

Not sure how the rest of you feel, but this story makes me feel a little ill:

Booger is back: Woman receives 5 cloned puppies - Yahoo! News

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea - Booger is back. An American woman received five puppies Tuesday that were cloned from her beloved late pitbull, becoming the inaugural customer of a South Korean company that says it is the world's first successful commercial canine cloning service.

Seoul-based RNL Bio said the clones of Bernann McKinney's dog Booger were born last week after being cloned in cooperation with a team of Seoul National University scientists who created the world's first cloned dog in 2005.
"It's a miracle!" McKinney repeatedly shouted Tuesday when she saw the cloned Boogers for which she paid $50,000.
"Yes, I know you! You know me, too!" McKinney said joyfully, hugging the puppies, which were sleeping with one of their two surrogate mothers, both Korean mixed breed dogs.
The team of scientists working for RNL Bio is headed by Lee Byeong-chun, a former colleague of disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk, who scandalized the international scientific community when his purported breakthroughs in cloned stem cells were revealed as fake in 2005.
Independent tests confirmed the 2005 dog cloning was genuine, and Lee's team has since cloned more than 20 canines.
But RNL Bio said that its cloning was the first successful commercial cloning of a canine.
"RNL Bio is commencing its worldwide services with Booger as its first successful clone," the company said in a statement.
McKinney contacted Lee after Booger died of cancer in April 2006. She had earlier asked U.S.-based Genetics Savings and Clone to clone her dog but the company shut down due to lack of demand in late 2006 after only producing a handful of cloned cats and failing to produce any dog clones.
The Korean scientists brought the dog's frozen cells to Seoul in March and nurtured them before launching formal cloning work in late May, according to RNL Bio.
Lee's team have identified the puppies as Booger's genuine clones, and his university's forensic medicine team is currently conducting reconfirmation tests.
McKinney said she was especially attached to Booger because he saved her life when she was attacked by another dog three times his size. The incident resulted in her left hand being severely injured, and also damaged her leg nerves and stomach. Doctors later reconstructed her hand and she spent part of her recovery in a wheelchair.
McKinney said Booger acted as more than just a canine companion as she recuperated from the attack.
Her dog pulled her wheelchair when its battery ran out. He opened her house door with his teeth and helped her take off her shoes and socks, even though she never trained him to do so.
"The most unusual thing about Booger was that he has a unique ability to reason," she said. "He seems to understand I couldn't use my hands."
McKinney, a screenwriter who taught drama at U.S. universities, said she will take three of the cloned dogs to her home in California and donate the others to work as service dogs for the handicapped or elderly. She said she lives with five other dogs and three horses.
RNL Bio charges up to $150,000 for dog cloning but will receive just a third of that sum from McKinney because she is the first customer and helped with publicity, said company head Ra Jeong-chan.
Ra said his firm eventually aims to clone about 300 dogs per year and is also interested in duplicating camels for customers in the Middle East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 08-05-2008 at 07:04 PM.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Genetics Savings and Clone.

BooOOOOoo!

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have no problem with this. I want clones. Having clones means one step closer to flying cars and a possible apocalyptic event.

I am in favor of both these things.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Could I conceivably give them clones from something else, like an elephant, and have them unknowingly make me an elephant? Or would it be part dog/part elephant? Elephantdog? Whatever. I'll take it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

Seems like a silly thing to spend all that money on when there's tons of animals in shelters across the country, but I can understand the appeal.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The cool part of the document is the description of how her original dog helped her during her recovery. Dogs are awesome.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Seems like a silly thing to spend all that money on when there's tons of animals in shelters across the country, but I can understand the appeal.

This I agree with 100%.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-06-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Nothing wrong with it at all. How one chooses to spend their money is their business. Had she donated the 50K to a shelter, there would have been no problem with that either.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Could I conceivably give them clones from something else, like an elephant, and have them unknowingly make me an elephant? Or would it be part dog/part elephant? Elephantdog? Whatever. I'll take it.

Remember, genes are NOT blueprints. This means you can't, for example, insert "the genes for an elephant's trunk" into a giraffe and get a giraffe with a trunk. There are no genes for trunks. What you CAN do with genes is chemistry, since DNA codes for chemicals. For instance, we can in theory splice the native plants' talent for nitrogen fixation into a terran plant.

* Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Nonlinear Genetics"
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Remember, genes are NOT blueprints. This means you can't, for example, insert "the genes for an elephant's trunk" into a giraffe and get a giraffe with a trunk. There are no genes for trunks. What you CAN do with genes is chemistry, since DNA codes for chemicals. For instance, we can in theory splice the native plants' talent for nitrogen fixation into a terran plant.

* Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Nonlinear Genetics"

So I can't have an elephantdog, but I might be able to get a dog who likes peanuts?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Damn you, you're going to make me play SMAC again.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Not like that's a bad thing...
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote