Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What football title do you think we'll see from Solecismic this fall?
FOF7 17 10.43%
TCY2 48 29.45%
No new game, but a roster update for FOF6 39 23.93%
Nothing new that's football-related. 59 36.20%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

New football game from Solecismic this fall? (Not what you want, but what you THINK.)

The regular season starts exactly one month from yesterday, and preseason is here. College football is just a little over three weeks away. What do you think is or isn't coming from Solecismic?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I think I'll see more misleading thread titles.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Heh. Max thread title length issue there. I'll try to see if I can re-word it...
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Na da.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Both of these polls have a purpose, fyi. I'm doing an article next week, and one thing that I intend to talk about is the lack of any buzz on football sims compared to several months ago when some were discussing the possibility of there being four new football games this fall.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-05-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

A steaming pile of nothing.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Silence from Ann Arbor indicates to me that a game is in the works. My guess is TCY, but that is based on nothing more than it being in the most need of an update.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd love a TCY2, but I'm learning not to get my hopes up. I'm therefore voiting for "nothing".
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Silence from Ann Arbor indicates to me that a game is in the works. My guess is TCY, but that is based on nothing more than it being in the most need of an update.

My thoughts, too. But that could be because that's what I want.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Solecismic presents War! The card game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think and hope that an improved version of FOF will come out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

*shurg*

Dunno. Haven't given it much thought, really. Could FOF use an upgrade? Sure, I guess, though it's generally good for my purposes (multiplayer), quirks and all. TCY sounds nice, but I didn't play the first and honestly, I play so few games now (heck, Civ IV is still on the back burner behind the time sink that is CoH) that I can't see playing TCY2. I might lean there though for my guess.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I'm hoping for some sort of football game to be announced I'm not holding my breath
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guessed nothing, but would rather see a new TCY. I'm not eager to go through another conversion to a new version of FOF in my online league.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Joe
Pro Starter

TCY: The Card Game.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guessed nothing, but would rather see a new TCY. I'm not eager to go through another conversion to a new version of FOF in my online league.

Why? It's not like you have to do anything

I personally see a patch/roster update for FOF coming. Anything other than that and I'd be surprised (but pleased)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

I feel like I have an adequate grasp of FOF 2007 at this point. Having to adjust to the new chutes and ladders or whatever doesn't sound fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
RedKingGold
College Starter

Surprisingly, I think it will be FOF7. While a strong part of me thinks it'll be TCY2 (just because it's been so long since an update), I also think that maybe professional football > college football for Jim.

TCY has had nary an updated schedule patch, whereas FOF has received frequent updates. Also, the focus on his Football Frontier website seemed to be more professional football based.

I guess the bigger question is whether future FOF will continute to have multiplayer support. There is a bigger part of me that thinks that FOF MP might go the way of the dodo.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
RedKingGold
College Starter

No matter what, I think we're going to see something if only because Jim needs a new revenue stream for well-being.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
path12
Coordinator

Guessed TCY2, but don't think I'm much interested in it. I never did enjoy TCY1.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Bad-example
College Starter

I voted for a new FOF, more from hope than anything else. I thought TCY sucked, mainly because it is nigh on impossible to make an entertaining career sports sim where your entire roster is turned over every 4-5 years.

Wishing more than anything that Jim would spend some of his valuable development time creating an interface that is full-screen friendly.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

Jim has always moved to the beat of his own drummer. For all we know he'll make a Guitar Hero sim.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

TCY2. If I remember correctly, Jim said that he was working on updating both games for awhile, and then shifted all of his work towards FOF2007. Not sure how much work he did on an updated TCY before working fully on FOF2007, but I doubt he intends to let that work go to waste.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
Antmeister
Pro Starter

As much as I would like to see TCY2, I doubt there will be anything out for this year. I'd say that there is most likely going to be something released next year. Unless he had been working on TCY off and on over the years, it is going to be quite a bit of an overhaul and will take a while. And because of the other game he worked on recently, I don't expect anything for FOF, except maybe a patch of some sort, but even then I don't expect that before football season starts. So I opted for nothing.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #25
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ha. What is going to happen by design is everybody votes nothing, a game is released in a month, the big cuddle hero is celebrated on high and all the fans wank it like Charles Haley.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Although I voted for that "nothing" option, the FOF7 option doesn't sound all that unlikely. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it wouldn't be coming out of nowhere either.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Jim has always moved to the beat of his own drummer. For all we know he'll make a Guitar Hero sim.

Actually, it's--"Jim has always moved to the beat of his own drum."

He fired the drummer in 1998.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I would like to see the TCY2 as well, but not holding my breath.

Disappointed in no "trout" option though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i hope its fof7, and i hope its actually stripped down from the last version. that was just too...big...for lack of a better word. when i play, i still play 2k4.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #30
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I would like to see the TCY2 as well, but not holding my breath.

Ditto. It's been so long since we got anything TCY related, that I would love a new version.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

I think there would have to be a major overhaul for FOF for a new version to be successful. SP loses its challenge after a while and I don't know how large the MP community really is, nor do I think a very large percentage would want to switch over without seeing a massive update.

I voted nothing and I believe that's what's going to happen.

If, however, there is a release, I'd expect it to be TCY2. Enough years have gone by that -any- new release should generate considerable buzz and sales, particularly if there's noticeable differences from the original.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Considering TCY was released in the early 2000s and the last update was 2004, I'd say that there should be some noticeable differences from the original if a new version were to be released.

Even so, I wonder if it would be FOF 2007-ized or if it would truly be a revolutionary product. The problem with FOF and EA Sports' games (can't believe I'm lumping them in together) is that they're evolutionary instead of revolutionary. I can understand the reason why. Hey, if it was my family that had to eat I'm not sure I would take too many chances either.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If Jim were able to introduce the 2D game viewer that he has hinted at in the past, that would be a pretty big change to the product.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #34
AlexB
Pro Starter

I don't think we'll see anything this year, purely because of the Developers Corner sub-forum. This is a great idea, but a long-term process - discussion and development, and seems strange to have had two threads and then release a new game which clearly must have been developed before the forum discussion.

My guess is that Jim will put out a roster update with a couple of gameplay tweaks to FOF this year, and then a new game of some form next year, aided by 12 months of development discussion.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #35
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Despite the communities support for TCY2 I can't believe he hasn't made it yet.

Has he ever said why he hasn't?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #36
marcmoustache
H.S. Freshman Team

I think we could have a patch to 2k7 that dealt with some of the end of half/game, hurry up issues, plus maybe a change to gameplanning.
marcmoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #37
molson
General Manager

I just hope he doesn't hold off on a roster update/patch just because of the anticipated backlash here of not having a new game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #38
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Voted FOF 7. Though if he released TCY 2 I would probably send him a check for $50 as thanks (nudge nudge Jim )
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #39
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

call me cheap, but i hope nothing, because i dont want to have to buy another game...
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Despite the communities support for TCY2 I can't believe he hasn't made it yet.

Has he ever said why he hasn't?

If I remember correctly (guess I should look) when this has been polled the facts do not back up your assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola:

I stand corrected - Curious If Opinions Have Changed. What do YOU want to see next from Solecismic? - Front Office Football Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #42
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Well I thought before FOF2k7 was released he mentioned on his site that he was updating one (patch) and putting out another version of the other. I assume that the version was FOF2k7 and he would be patching TCY or at this point releasing another version of it?

If its TCY, my money will be safe in my pocket until Duckman tries to steal it. If its another version of FOF, I'd definitely buy it.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 08-06-2008 at 02:41 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #43
Anthony
Banned

i don't see anything that TCY2 would give me that i couldn't get in some form from NCAA '09. the recruiting is more fun in NCAA and i don't have to worry about managing the time of my players ("this week i'm allocating 2 hours for you to see your girlfriend, Johnny") and can have a multiplayer dynasty.

i also just don't like the college game that much. i don't like not being able to follow my favorite players for anything more than 4, 5 years tops. you can't have long term planning in college football, there's no "i'll draft this guy as a 5th round project and hope he develops in about 3 or 4 years so that he can contribute for about 4 or 5 years after that".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #44
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i don't see anything that TCY2 would give me that i couldn't get in some form from NCAA '09. the recruiting is more fun in NCAA and i don't have to worry about managing the time of my players ("this week i'm allocating 2 hours for you to see your girlfriend, Johnny") and can have a multiplayer dynasty.

i also just don't like the college game that much. i don't like not being able to follow my favorite players for anything more than 4, 5 years tops. you can't have long term planning in college football, there's no "i'll draft this guy as a 5th round project and hope he develops in about 3 or 4 years so that he can contribute for about 4 or 5 years after that".

Well yes, if he released the exact same game and called it TCY 2 that would be pretty crappy. I would think after 6 or 7 years (whatever it has been) he would make some changes.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

My thoughts as well.. I believe he would gain much more money with a TCY 2.

I'm more interested in Head Coach for my football fix this year, but TCY 2 would have me interested. Ha.. never would have said that in the past.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #46
Capital
High School Varsity

I voted a new FOF in the other poll so I see to reason to change here. That being said, I would expect a new game of some sort this fall. It's been 2 years since a gaming release.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think we'll finally see an update to tcy. Seems like it is about that time. I probably won't buy it just cause I'm not a big fan of the college game.

I think we may see a minor upgrade to fof2k7 as well. Rosters and maybe a few minor fixes
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #48
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I would love to see a TCY2. I'd buy two copies - one for each foot.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #49
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

TCY sure has become the forgotten sister, locked up in the closet of neglect. Time to let her out, fix up her hair, give her a breast job, buy her some cheap wine, and let her out on the town.

I was going to say that I'd bet the next game will take two years to develop, so there won't be anything released this year, then someone posted that it's been two years since Jim's last sports game release. Holy crap. Did I fall asleep for a year or something? Having kids sure screws up your sense of time I guess.

So now I don't know. I always think that Jani's Shorts makes good points, and what he says makes sense to me, but you've got to believe that Jim won't go two years without releasing something. He's got to eat, right?

But if he was messing with that card game, then perhaps he hasn't spent much time on either TCY or FOF, and he surely won't release something if it's not ready. I guess it depends on the scope of changes he's making, which I assume will be large for the next release. If he feels the need to release something this year, perhaps it'll be a small, transitional tweak of FOF. So yeah, that's what I'll go with.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-07-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #50
Ben E Lou

Thanks for your participation and comments. The OS article is finished (pending final editing), and will be published this week.