Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

Starbucks

Starbucks in Australia yesterday afternoon closed down 61 stores, out of a total of 84 in the country that it had opened since trying to push in to our market back in 2000.

The surprising thing about this to me is that there are only 84 stores in this country. I work in the Sydney CBD and within 15 mins walking distance of where I am right now I can count 8 Starbucks off the top of my head, and I'm probably forgetting some. Hardly surprising that they are having problems given the population of the city and the amount of stores within a stone's throw of each other.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That was Starbuck's M.O. I think they did some study that showed people would walk about 2 blocks for a cup of coffee. They really expanded far too greatly.

They are closing a ton of stores in the U.S., including the only one within walking distance of where I work. I'm pretty bummed about it, as my afternoon Starbucks run is pretty much the highlight of my day.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

try living in Seattle.

tey also are laying off 1000 non location jobs
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Starts about 30 seconds in

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

I think I've stepped into a Starbucks once in my life.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think starbucks is nasty.

Dunkin Doughnuts is where its at
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

The only place I drink coffee is at work. One cup of coffee a day, at 7:30. Two Splendas and some 2% milk, please.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Though I will admit I have a weak spot for Double Chocolate Chip Frappucinos.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think starbucks is nasty.

Dunkin Doughnuts is where its at

Maybe it's an east coast thing, but I've never understood the fascination with Dunkin donuts. The only donut chain I ever knew about was Winchell's Donuts and they didnt last so long. Coffee from 7-11 is the best IMO
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WaWa is the shit also
Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

I go to Starbucks if I'm meeting up with a group of folks and we feel like a coffee or I'm working on a public holiday or weekend and they're the only place open, but mainly I just go to the coffee guy in the lobby of our building.

In summer though I do get the odd craving for a frappucino.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Starbucks is overpriced.

I prefer some obscure restaurant where the coffee's good and bottomless, the food's decent and cheap and you can sit there for hours talking and nobody minds.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Starbucks is overpriced.

I prefer some obscure restaurant where the coffee's good and bottomless, the food's decent and cheap and you can sit there for hours talking and nobody minds.

Won't argue that it's overpriced. It's the McDonald's of the coffee world, where you go there for the brand as much as you do the food.

I just don't think any bottomless coffee places exist around here though - none that I'm aware of anyway. Now that I think of it I don't know that I'd really want to drink more than a full cup of coffee either. Even one cup can give me trouble sleeping if I drink it too close to midday. I'm a coffee light-weight.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Maybe it's an east coast thing, but I've never understood the fascination with Dunkin donuts. The only donut chain I ever knew about was Winchell's Donuts and they didnt last so long. Coffee from 7-11 is the best IMO

I had the following exchange with my editor-in-chief the other day:

"Going to go get some lunch."
"Where?"
"Dunkin' Donuts."

They have sandwiches and pizza.

IHOP tried this. But, like KFC, I think they permanently abbreviated their name to make an impression they had more eclectic fare. The only shortening of "Dunkin' Donuts" I can think of is "Double D's." Women's rights organizations would not be happy.
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Won't argue that it's overpriced. It's the McDonald's of the coffee world, where you go there for the brand as much as you do the food.

I just don't think any bottomless coffee places exist around here though - none that I'm aware of anyway. Now that I think of it I don't know that I'd really want to drink more than a full cup of coffee either. Even one cup can give me trouble sleeping if I drink it too close to midday. I'm a coffee light-weight.

Speaking of the McDonalds of the coffee world, McDonalds has some damned good coffee. I wasn't sure if my tastes were that skewed or what, but I've found out it's not just me. Hell, I read a review/study in Consumer Reports where McDonalds coffee beat Starbucks in taste tests. Granted, that's coffee, not the frapumochachinolatte's and what not.

I can give or take fast food, but I love to drive through McDonalds for the occassional cup of coffee.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper View Post
Speaking of the McDonalds of the coffee world, McDonalds has some damned good coffee. I wasn't sure if my tastes were that skewed or what, but I've found out it's not just me. Hell, I read a review/study in Consumer Reports where McDonalds coffee beat Starbucks in taste tests. Granted, that's coffee, not the frapumochachinolatte's and what not.

I can give or take fast food, but I love to drive through McDonalds for the occassional cup of coffee.

I tried McDonalds coffee last March while I was making the drive from D.C. to Michigan. I had two sips of it and then immediately threw it out. I found their coffee to vile stuff, practically undrinkable.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

The best coffee I have ever had is Alterra, a company which I think is based in Milwaukee.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I tried McDonalds coffee last March while I was making the drive from D.C. to Michigan. I had two sips of it and then immediately threw it out. I found their coffee to vile stuff, practically undrinkable.

Yup, I had some in Missouri this past winter, and it tasted like crap to me...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm not sure all these Starbucks closings are a sign of bad health for the company. Their strategy has always been to saturate a town with Starbucks until they drive the local coffee shops out of business. The natural thing to do next is consolidate locations. I don't follow them financially, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just progressing along their logical path.

I don't like Starbucks coffee, but I especially dislike this company strategy.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
Autumn
Head Coach

I can't stand Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's just too watery and weak. I think most people who go there drink a lot of milk and sugar.

I haven't tried McDonald's but I know they have switched to Newman's organic. But it's unlikely that it's brewed well considering the hired help, and the lack of emphasis on coffee. At Starbucks they at least train their workers how to make coffee, even if I dislike their roast.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Starbucks is overpriced.

If you use your Sbux card to buy your coffee all of your refills are free.

The advantage to Starbucks is this: there is so much fucking weak-ass horrid coffee in this world that it is nice to know I can go into any of their stores and get a good, strong cup. With a shot of espresso, if needed.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
If you use your Sbux card to buy your coffee all of your refills are free.

The advantage to Starbucks is this: there is so much fucking weak-ass horrid coffee in this world that it is nice to know I can go into any of their stores and get a good, strong cup. With a shot of espresso, if needed.

Subby is wise.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

Starbucks does make very good coffee, and usually offers genuinely good customer service. Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds do not make good coffee, in my experience.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Does Starbucks sell tea?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Does Starbucks sell tea?

Yes.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They are closing the one where I live now, sadly. The blended strawberry lemonade makes me happy.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
They are closing the one where I live now, sadly. The blended strawberry lemonade makes me happy.

There will be plenty more where you're moving to.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

You Starbucks weinies get strumpets while you are there too?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #29
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
You Starbucks weinies get strumpets while you are there too?

Strumpets? I wasn't aware your mother worked at Starbucks. So, no.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Strumpets? I wasn't aware your mother worked at Starbucks. So, no.

Frappacino and off the hang out at the GAP perhaps?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

While I am all for the older crowd trying to keep fashionable, please let your mother know that those Frappacionoes are pretty fattening. I'd suggest she try to avoid them. Just a word to the wise for old gal.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
While I am all for the older crowd trying to keep fashionable, please let your mother know that those Frappacionoes are pretty fattening. I'd suggest she try to avoid them. Just a word to the wise for old gal.

sounds like you are speaking from experience
Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Both of the Starbucks that are within walking distance of my work are closing. Sucks if I want a frou-frou drink but since we have free regular Starbucks coffee in my office I'm not too bothered.

BTW, Tim Horton's coffee is the greatest, no comparison.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
sounds like you are speaking from experience

Well, it has been a few years now that you mention it. Why don't you tell the old gal to give me a call when she's back in town? k thx.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, it has been a few years now that you mention it. Why don't you tell the old gal to give me a call when she's back in town? k thx.

So is it true the mayor of Hipsterdofusvilee is Matt Millen?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 07-30-2008 at 01:08 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #36
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Orange Mocha ones to be precise. Followed by a nice gas fight.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

I think if you pass gas in Starbucks you are beaten for dead with feathers by all the male barristas.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So is it true the mayor of Hipsterdofusvilee is Matt Millen?

Dunno. I would doubt it. I reckon Millen is more your kind of a man. A Man's man, if you know what I mean? A kind of man who wouldn't cry if he got pushed down and thinks coffee shops, like Starbucks, are for pussies. That's manly.

Also, I am far too much of a geek to be a hipsterdoofus, so I am unaware of their political structure.

I do know one thing: Matt Millen is the mayor of your mama's heart. The little strumpet admitted as much the last time she was in town.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #39
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

and a good smoke!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #40
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Dunno. I would doubt it. I reckon Millen is more your kind of a man. A Man's man, if you know what I mean? A kind of man who wouldn't cry if he got pushed down and thinks coffee shops, like Starbucks, are for pussies. That's manly.

Also, I am far too much of a geek to be a hipsterdoofus, so I am unaware of their political structure.

I do know one thing: Matt Millen is the mayor of your mama's heart. The little strumpet admitted as much the last time she was in town.

You know when you try and act cool as a geek. Like now, you are a hipsterdoofus.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #41
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You know when you try and act cool as a geek. Like now, you are a hipsterdoofus.

Hope that clears it up.

This is no act my friend. I am totally, 100%, all the time, this cool.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #42
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
This is no act my friend. I am totally, 100%, all the time, this cool.

Hope that clears it up.

How can I argue with that.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hope that clears it up.

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

oh great, another starbucks weinie
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
How can I argue with that.

You can't really. The evidence is overwhelming.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-30-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #47
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nope...Tim Hortons is #1 followed by Dunkin Donuts as far as coffee goes.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Nope...Tim Hortons is #1 followed by Dunkin Donuts as far as coffee goes.

Well Ok then. I take it all back.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #49
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I think the argument about where to get your coffee depends on your location and what you want.

I personally can't stand Starbucks' normal drip or their beans, but if I want a latte or a Frappucino, I'll go there. Their new drip, Pike Place, isn't bad, but I make better coffee. Of course, if I'm running around all day and need my coffee after the gym, I'll go there.

There aren't any Dunkin Donuts convenient to me, and the ones down here are NOWHERE near as good as the ones in New England, but if I'm not making the coffee myself or going to Wegmans, they're my first choice for drip (I guess that makes it my 3rd choice?). In New England, they know how to make an iced coffee the right way, but down here, they don't.

There aren't any Tim Horton's down here that I know of (not that I've looked lately), and I've only been to 1. It wasn't for me, but who knows? A sample size of 1 doesn't say much.

I think Starbucks' presence on every corner is annoying (in parts of DC you can't walk 1 block without passing 2 Starbucks), but I'd be lying if I said they never have anything I want.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #50
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I miss Wegmans!