Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So I'm Planning On Attending A Broadway Show...

I have taken a look at the shows on Broadway for when I am out there, and I would like to go to one. The ones that stand out to me as being ones I may have interest in are Phantom of the Opera, Wicked and Spamalot.

Phantom, as long as it has been around, I have yet to see live. I even know the music from CDs, but I stil have never seen it.

Wicked, I have read the book and enjoyed it. And it has gotten a ton of pub.

Spamalot is based on Monty Python's Holy Grail, so of course, I am interested.

Now, I may be ignoring others, so you guys might clue me in if I am dismissing a terrific show out of hand (Lion King? Not really up on Mamma Mia), but the above three are probably my focus.

Which one would you recommend?

Also, this whole walk up to the place the morning of and get tickets for cheap--how realistic is that? Should I count on doing that or try to get my tickets ahead of time?

Thanks!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

SPAMALOT!!!!

edit: To add... it was absolutely gut bustingly funny. If you like Monty Python, you owe yourself to see it. And if you pass it up and see it later, you will ask yourself "Why in the Hell didn't I see this before!".

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-28-2008 at 12:04 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Rent is awesome
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I enjoyed Spamalot...a lot. There's enough material from the movie to be familiar, and enough new material for it not to be considered a retread.

I also loved Phantom when I saw it...geez, probably 15 years ago now.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

I love Rent, much better than Phantom, IMO. Have never seen Wicked or Spamalot, though, but I've heard great things about Wicked.

By the way, my college roommate Hunter Bell is starring and wrote a musical that just opened on BWay. It's called Title of Show. This is not really a recommendation to you, as I think his show is better suited to someone who has a lot of prior theatre knowledge (lots of Broadway in-jokes, etc). But I'm really excited for him and wanted to give him a shout-out.

[title of show] - Official Site - Get Tickets

They just got a kick-ass review in the New York Times too.

Theater Review - '[title of show]' - Puttin’ on the Put-On, With Tunes - Review - NYTimes.com#

Last edited by KWhit : 07-28-2008 at 09:12 AM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I am a HUGE HUGE Monty Python fan and would still encourage you to see Wicked.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
SnDvls
Pro Starter

never seen Spamalot, but heard good things about it.

Have seen Phanton, Wicked & previously mentioned Lion King & Rent.

All are very good if you like the music on the CD of one more than the other I'd go to that one.

I personally would choose Wicked again as it's a comedy and makes you laugh at the things from The Wizard of OZ and loosely ties into it.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Are you planning on getting tickets in advance or going to the half price ticket booth?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Saw Spamalot in Vegas in May, and loved it. It doesn't seem to stop. Mrs SC would recommend Wicked, as she has been trying to see it for years (it seems like). Phantom is always a great show...the epitome of Broadway spectacle.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'd vote against Wicked. I haven't read the book yet, but I get the impression that it's much better than the show was. From what I understand, the book was pretty dark, while the show was IMO just kind of hokey.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I've been fortunate enough to have seen most of the shows you are interested in. Here is how I would rate them:

1. Lion King - this is a musical unlike any I have ever seen! I am even man enough to say the opening number left me in tears with how they were able to bring this to life in such a clever and fascinating way. If I had to pick one show to see, this is it! NOT just for kids. Tickets very hard to get.

2. Wicked - I VERY much enjoyed this show. I also read the book, and while it is not as dark as the novel, it is compelling, intellectual, and entertaining. And if you are familiar with the Wizard of Oz, you will find it that much more appealing. Tickets very hard to get

3. Rent - This show is ending soon... so I don't know if there will be a rush on tickets to make sure and catch it before it closes. Broadway show was MUCH better than the movie (although the movie had most of the original cast).

4. Phantom - I've seen this a couple of times over the years. Again, another big musical with lots of scene changes. If you've never seen it... it should rightfully be on your list.

5. Spamalot - I laughed a lot during this show, and I am not a very big Monty Python fan.

6. Mamma Mia - This is just silly fun. If you can suspend belief and just go for a fun evening, and oh by the way... you do need to like some of the ABBA songs, then if the other tickets are not available, then this is good.

Just to throw out another show in the mix... "Avenue Q" is also a very funny entertaining show which won a lot of awards. The music has absolutely grown on me. I do question whether it is "big" enough to warrant the outrageous Broadway ticket prices these days. It's hard to compare an event like Avenue Q with The Lion King and all of the set changes and costumes, but to each his/her own.

As far as walk-up half-price tickets... you may be referring to TKTS. You can get tickets from between 25-50% off of regular price. But I've always found it to be hit or miss... and directly related to how popular a current show is. To gauge that, I ofter check out this link, Playbill Features: Broadway Grosses: July 14-20. The main numbers to look at are Attendance Percentage (the closer to 100%, the harder the ticket will be) and Average Ticket Price (the lower the average, the more likely you are able to get a discount ticket for it - also remember musicals are more expensive than dramas).

Hope some of this info helps...

Last edited by tyketime : 07-28-2008 at 12:34 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Go see Les Miserables like a real man.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Go see Les Miserables like a real man.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Master of the house, keeper of the zoo

Do you like ice?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm waiting for the parody attempt of your two "So I'm Planning" threads.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
KWhit
Coordinator

A lot of people like Lion King, but I HATED IT on BWay. I actually really like the movie and the music, but it felt silly to me. I felt the same way about Beauty and the Beast on Broadway. I just don't think that the animated Disney musicals translate at all to the stage, but YMMV.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #17
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
Saw Spamalot in Vegas in May, and loved it. It doesn't seem to stop. Mrs SC would recommend Wicked, as she has been trying to see it for years (it seems like). Phantom is always a great show...the epitome of Broadway spectacle.

you're in luck as Wicked is touring to ASU's Gammage this year along with Rent, The Lion King, Stomp & Cats
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
path12
Coordinator

Spamalot was a lot of fun. That would be my choice.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

I saw Mel Brooks' The Producers and had a blast.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
you're in luck as Wicked is touring to ASU's Gammage this year along with Rent, The Lion King, Stomp & Cats

We missed the last tour of Wicked, so I think I owe Mrs. SC tickets to that. I don't have a great desire to watch The Lion King, we've seen Rent, and Stomp. I'm waiting for Mary Poppins to tour.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
revrew
Team Chaplain

Les Miz - Greatest. Show. Ever.

Still performing in New York? Dunno. I live in Iowa.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, Les Mis is an incredible piece of work, but I think it closed.