Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Need advice

in regards to excercise. After putting off any type of excercise plan for a long time now, I have finally decided it is time to get back into it. When I was in the military, and even in high school, I worked out and excercised regularly. Of course, I am older now and it is somewhat tougher to schedule an excercise regime and stay focused.

What I am looking for is people who excercise and are familiar with the process of:
  1. The very beginning of an excercise plan. Let's pretend that I have no idea how to even run from the couch to the refrigerator.
  2. How often do I excercise? This means from the first day through the moderate and even more difficult but ultimate goal of regular excercise. Do I start off at twice per week? Do I set a goal for 4 days per week?
  3. What time of day is best for me?
  4. What are the best methods of excercise? Running? Situps? Pushups? Weight lifting?
I am looking for good advice as to how to get started, stay motivated, and push myself to keep going and improving. I need to do this without burning myself out though. Is anyone else in this situation or familiar with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
clemsonfan
High School JV

I think the key is to find something you enjoy. If you enjoy a challenge, running might be a good fit for you. If you are a social butterfly, then maybe join a team sport at the local rec center. They often have adult basketball, dodge ball, soft ball, and flag football leagues.

Personally, I just got up and ran. I followed a plan similar to this:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am planning on running a 5K on Labor Day, so that gives me a concrete goal to work with. Generally you want to start exercising about 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day. If you want to do strength training, plan on doing that 2-3 times a week in addition to any other exercise you do.

Hope this helps.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
clemsonfan
High School JV

I also found the Wii fit a great addition to my exercise routine.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I think the key is to find something you enjoy. If you enjoy a challenge, running might be a good fit for you. If you are a social butterfly, then maybe join a team sport at the local rec center. They often have adult basketball, dodge ball, soft ball, and flag football leagues.

I am planning on running a 5K on Labor Day, so that gives me a concrete goal to work with. Generally you want to start exercising about 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day. If you want to do strength training, plan on doing that 2-3 times a week in addition to any other exercise you do.

Hope this helps.

I had heard that when starting out only do strenuous activity about every other day, as your body is not accustomed to it in the beginning. Do you know if this is just a tale or is there some truth in it?

Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
in regards to excercise. After putting off any type of excercise plan for a long time now, I have finally decided it is time to get back into it. When I was in the military, and even in high school, I worked out and excercised regularly. Of course, I am older now and it is somewhat tougher to schedule an excercise regime and stay focused.

What I am looking for is people who excercise and are familiar with the process of:
  1. The very beginning of an excercise plan. Let's pretend that I have no idea how to even run from the couch to the refrigerator.
  2. How often do I excercise? This means from the first day through the moderate and even more difficult but ultimate goal of regular excercise. Do I start off at twice per week? Do I set a goal for 4 days per week?
  3. What time of day is best for me?
  4. What are the best methods of excercise? Running? Situps? Pushups? Weight lifting?
I am looking for good advice as to how to get started, stay motivated, and push myself to keep going and improving. I need to do this without burning myself out though. Is anyone else in this situation or familiar with it?

The key is exercise as many muscles as possible so different exercises are required for best results. But if you just want to improve cardio, then different exercises aren't as important. And I agree do what you enjoy to get started and then you will be more motivated when you see results.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

My initial goal is to lose weight. After I accomplish that, then I intend on building muscle again. I realize this is a huge commitment and can be very daunting, but I am quite tired of being lazy. Cutting out a few hours of video games a week is a small price to pay to look and feel better.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I think you are going to have to answer most of these for yourself. How often and what time? It depends on your schedule really. You need to find a regular time that works for you and then force yourself to keep on it. I lift on MWF, but thats what works for me. The most important thing is doing it consistently so it becomes habit. Also, it does make it easier if you can find a 'workout partner' to keep you going.

As far as best methods, that depends on your goals. Obviously running and weightlifting will produce very different results. I agree with everyone else that you should start with whatever you enjoy the most.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I had heard that when starting out only do strenuous activity about every other day, as your body is not accustomed to it in the beginning. Do you know if this is just a tale or is there some truth in it?

I think you can do cardio every day if you want. Don't overdo it in the beginning. Maybe walk for 10 minutes to warm up and then run one minute and walk 5 minutes for about 15 minutes. Then do a 5 minute cool down walk. That would be a good way to ease into your work out. Also listen to your body. A little bit of pain is something you can work through but a sharp pain, a lot of pain, or constant pain should not be ignored. If you experience that sort of pain, it's time to take a day or two off in order to avoid injury.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post

Hope this helps.

I've been doing this. I'm probably older than you so I've had quite a few small nagging injuries -- usually from trying to push a bit harder than I should, but overall I recommend this program quite a bit -- I've lost 15 pounds and still have a goal of a 5K in late October.

Ice and ibuprofen are your friends. Ibuprofen beforehand, ice afterwards. And don't forget to stretch.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Before I had my ankle fused, I was pretty into running. I was running 5 or so days per week and training for a marathon when I first hurt my ankle. I originally started running to keep in better shape for soccer, but as I got older and played less soccer, I still ran. I loved running. I miss running.

Even though I was a soccer player, though, I didn't start out as "a runner." I could sprint for a bit and run with a ball, but running out on your own is totally different. It's fun, for me it was relaxing, and at first, it was a pain in the arse. When I decided I wanted to start running distance, I found a "Couch to 5k" program via Runner's World Magazine, and did it ever make a difference. Though I didn't have to start at week 1 (I jumped in at week 5 or so), I found that having a plan and a set schedule really helped me focus. Soon I was running 3 miles. Then 5. Then 10. Then marathon distances, before the fateful night that I hurt my ankle beyond anybody's belief. I've recommended the couch-to-5k programs to various friends, and most have had success (those who haven't got bored with running and took up other sports, like cycling).

clemsonfan has already posted the link to the Cool Running Couch-to-5k plan. I prefer the Runner's World plan, though I know people who've been successful with both. This is the RW plan (found here):
Week 1: Run 2 minutes/Walk 4 minutes, repeat 5 times
Week 2: Run 3 minutes/Walk 3 minutes, repeat 5 times
Week 3: Run 5 minutes/Walk 2.5 minutes, repeat 4 times
Week 4: Run 7 minutes/Walk 3 minutes, repeat 3 times
Week 5: Run 8 minutes/Walk 2 minutes, repeat 3 times
Week 6: Run 9 minutes/Walk 2 minutes, repeat 2 times, then Run 8 minutes
Week 7: Run 9 minutes/Walk 1 minute, repeat 3 times
Week 8: Run 13 minutes/Walk 2 minutes, repeat 2 times
Week 9: Run 14 minutes/Walk 1 minute, repeate 2 times
Week 10: Run 30 minutes

This plan is intended to be done on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday (rest Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday). Or, if that schedule doesn't work, adjust for every-other-day plus 1. It's also intended that you warm up with a brisk 5 minute walk before you start, and cool down with the same at the end of the 30 minute "training" period. If you cannot walk (briskly) for 30 minutes, you should be able to do that before starting this plan. This plan has a lot of benefits. If you don't feel comfortable moving on after a given week, you can always repeat that week before moving to the next. It also eases you into running, and it's OK to jog instead of "run". The big difference between the RW plan and the Cool Running plan is that I've always felt that the CR plan takes a big leap between weeks 4 and 5ish. Maybe it's just a mental thing for me.

If you really want to run, make sure to visit a real running store before you start. They should watch you walk (and run) and fit you with a shoe that matches your gait/stride. I cannot emphasize how important a good running store and running shoes are.

There are mixed opinions on running outdoors with music. I preferred to run with music, though I wore headphones that were not sound-isolating, and I kept the volume low enough that I was aware of what else was going on around me (I also paid attention to shadows and the like). I personally found it helpful, especially when running outdoors, to sing along with my music. It would help me remember to breathe. However, on a treadmill at the gym, that's sort of frowned upon.

Don't forget to stretch. Aches and pains are normal when starting any exercise program, but be careful to listen to your body. Aches and pains that don't reduce at all within 48 hours, or that get worse, or that have certain "triggers" (such as "it hurts when I do this") are your body's way of telling you something's wrong. Advil is known as "Vitamin I" amongst many runners, but don't ignore something real. Even on days when you don't run, try to gently stretch your muscles. It'll help you more in the long run, I promise. Maybe as you get more used to working out regularly, you can mix in other things on the days you don't run (lifting, yoga, swimming, and cycling are all wonderful options).

If your knees bother you, try to find softer ground to run on (grass next to the sidewalk or trail, for example, or a treadmill). Your knees may bother you at first, especially if you're overweight, but that will pass. Advil helps that, too, as can a Cho-Pat strap if the pain is in the front of your knee, just below your kneecap.

Finally, if you do decide to take up running, set a goal for yourself. Sign yourself up for a 5k (use RW's Race Finder if you like to find one near you or maybe near someplace you'd like to travel to), and TELL OTHER PEOPLE you've done it (start a dynasty, tell others at work, blog, etc). Having a goal will help keep you focused and telling others will help keep you motivated not to let them (or yourself) down. Logging your workouts, where you run, how you feel, etc, is also a good idea so you can track mileage in your shoes and remember great runs. I used to run with a Heart Rate Monitor, and still use one when I go to the gym. If you want to really improve your aerobic fitness, they're indespensible, but not necessary when you're just starting out.

And I guess that's it. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

/tk

Runner's World info for beginners: http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/...-0-0-0,00.html
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

FWIW, building muscle also helps you lose weight. So don't think of it as "after I lose weight I will build muscle." If you do both you'll get to your goal faster.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

Play tennis 3x a week, it builds muscle in the arms and legs, it strengthens the cardio vascular system and on top of all that its FUN too
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I'll echo the Cool Runnings plan. I was never a runner (and I was/am out of shape) and I used that to train for the 5K which I just ran last Sunday. It works.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

This is the single best bit of fitness advice I've ever received (and I got it here at FOFC!):

www.crossfit.com
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Telle
College Starter

The biggest thing is to find activities that you enjoy. I do yoga twice a week, play tennis twice a week, do some walking with a little running tossed in once or twice a week, and garden on the weekends. And since it's all varied and things that I really like doing, I have yet to get bored.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Diet is also very important. Eating 6 fist-sized meals each day has worked wonders for my body fat% and my overall energy as well. Try to avoid processed foods as a whole. Buying a bunch of deli turkey and calling it your protein for the week is not good. Stay away from white bread as well. As far as diet goes, we all pretty much know what we should be doing--fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protiens, etc--it's just a matter of actually doing it.

As for exercise, swimming is great, especially if you use a variety of different strokes. Tennis, as somebody already mentioned, is also great. Yoga is fantastic. All in all, just eating better coupled with getting out there and doing something should do wonders. Just always remember to stretch, warm up and warm down, else you may end up doing more harm than good.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

A huge thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and even to those who didn't (you know you want to though).

I am planning on starting my routine this coming Monday. I will start with the 3 day per week routine and go from there. I will make sure and keep you all updated, whether you care or not is irrelevant .

Now to figure out how to not eat all the time with a pregnant wife in the house.......

Quote: