Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Battlefield: Bad Company

Did anyone else pick this up? I played the demo a lot and it was a ton of fun. The game is sort of like other Battlefield games, but so far not as many exploits. In fact, the only cheat I've seen is people who have been able to farm points. Since the guns don't necessarily get better (just different), those people don't effect the game much at all.

My biggest gripe is I've had the game 2 days and only been able to get on EA servers for a few hours. In typical EA fashion, they are slow to adapt to a launch.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

What kind of rating would you give it? I was planning on getting it here in a couple of weeks.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd say a 7.5 out of 10. You should download the demo. Gives you a full level you can play online against others. Will give you a good feel for how the game plays. It is what sold me on this.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Excellent. That will give me something to do this weekend. Thanks!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

Bought it today for the PS3 and so far it has been really fun. The maps are way bigger than COD4 ones, but it's understandable as this game has also vehicles like tanks, hummers, helicopters, etc.

The vehicles are a bit hard to maneuver, but playing on the ground is really fun, there are 5 classes and tons of different weapons (that you must unlock after leveling up).

The new feature by this game compared with other shooters is that the buildings and environment are fully destroyable, so for example if you are into a house covered and a tank sees you, he can blow the house with you inside to kill you, same about granades etc. It's nice to see also the tanks runing over the trees etc and destroying it all.

The graphics are good, not at the level of MGS4 but good enough. The sound and visual explosions are really incredible and help a lot the immersion.

PLaying multiplayer today I had zero lag and the only gameplay mode has been really fun. One team attacks and the other defends a couple of gold boxes, if the attacking team blows them, then a couple more appear deeper in the defenders territory, if those are taken too, the attacking team wins. If the attacking teams runs out of respawnable pool, the defenders win.

A free update will come soon with new more traditional online modes.

I have not touched the solo mode, but it's supposed to be fun too, with an argument like Kelly's Heroes, where a group of bad reputation soldiers try to become rich in the middle of he war. The story is said to not to be as good and dramatic as COD4's one, instead it has more of a sense of humour like the typical macho war movies, were the soldiers throw jokes in the middle of the battle, etc.

So far i'm enjoying it a lot, planned to play just a battle as had things to do and ended playing 3 hours straight only in MP mode.

Btw, there is a playable solo and online demo, if you reach level 4 in the playable online demo, you get an extra weapon for the full game. I have played it and the final game is more polished than the demo, with zero frame drops and better aliasing.

Last edited by Icy : 06-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, forgot to say, my great online experience is based on the PS3. The Xbox360 one has some problems reported (disconnections) even at the official website, they are supposed to be working on them.

Quote:

6/27/2008 Connection issue for X360 players

We are aware that some X360 players are having issues connecting to the Bad Company servers.

Last edited by Icy : 06-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Been playing this for about the last week and a half, great fun offline.

Maybe now that folks have it in hand I can try the online so I can get my review done.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Can you still jump like a Kangaroo all over the place?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Can you still jump like a Kangaroo all over the place?

Yes. I haven't played the previous versions but you can jump pretty high in the game. Always bugged me about video games. They spend countless hours looking for realism out of the environments, then let you jump 8 feet in the air.

Just played a couple hours tonight online without any problems. Game is a blast. There are some really good players on there though.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
then let you jump 8 feet in the air.

I can deal with the jumping in the air, but it was the jumping around as an almost necessary tactic that was pretty lame.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I can deal with the jumping in the air, but it was the jumping around as an almost necessary tactic that was pretty lame.

Umm i didn't play the beta, but in the full game i don't see people jumping unless they want to go over an obstacle as they should.

Btw, i'm having a ton of fun playing online, so far both attack and defense are well balanced and i'm winning/losing doing both. Some of the maps are really relaly amazing, both with open field for tanks at first between bases and then close combat inside the villages.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Umm i didn't play the beta, but in the full game i don't see people jumping unless they want to go over an obstacle as they should.

Actually, my comments where about Battlefield 2.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Btw, i'm having a ton of fun playing online, so far both attack and defense are well balanced and i'm winning/losing doing both. Some of the maps are really relaly amazing, both with open field for tanks at first between bases and then close combat inside the villages.

I see people do it when they initially get shot. Not everyone does and I wonder if it's just a natural reaction for people to try and get out of the way.

The game is really balanced. Not just in defender/attacker modes, but each type of player you can be. They each have their strengths and weaknesses based on weapons. I have actually found myself being all 5 of them depending on the board we're playing and how the other team is attacking it.

So far I'm having a ton of fun with the game and gotten in some intense battles. The only glitch I've seen is people who overturn a humvee and repair it (this allows you to gain unlimited points). But points really don't mean squat, and if someone wants to spend hours of their day repairing a tipped over humvee on the side of the board, who cares. I have yet to see a glitch/flaw that has effected the actual gameplay.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Any of you guys having trouble playing during peak hours? I either get a message about games being unavailable or unbearable lag. I don't think it's my internet connection either.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
WSR
Mascot

Anyone still playing this game?

I've been playing the demo quite a bit and I'm thinking about picking this up this weekend. I still play BF2 fairly frequently, so this seems like a natural fit for me.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post

I've been playing the demo quite a bit and I'm thinking about picking this up this weekend. I still play BF2 fairly frequently, so this seems like a natural fit for me.

I'm not right now because i don't have the Ps3 linked to internet in my holidays home, but i have been playing it a lot until now. The game is so fun to me, some people is talking about having lag but i never had any issue. A patch and some server fixes should come soon to fix those problems. I would check the official forum to read more comments there.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Any of you guys having trouble playing during peak hours? I either get a message about games being unavailable or unbearable lag. I don't think it's my internet connection either.

Just curious - are you connected via wireless, or hard-wired into a port? I've been playing my systems on a wireless setup (don't like having a cable going across my room and all) though I was debating just plugging in a cable if it gets laggy online...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:

Just picked it up last night for the PS3, and tried it for a little bit. Thinking about going online sometime soon though!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
WSR
Mascot

Damn. I couldn't find it for rent on my way home. May have to go to Best Buy to redeem some Reward Points and pick it up.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Just curious - are you connected via wireless, or hard-wired into a port? I've been playing my systems on a wireless setup (don't like having a cable going across my room and all) though I was debating just plugging in a cable if it gets laggy online...
I'm directly connected. The servers seem to be much better now. Haven't had any issues at all in the last week or so.

I really like the game a lot. I really recommend anyone who hasn't tried it to download the demo and give it a whirl. My only minor gripe with the game is in regards to being face to face with someone 5-10 feet away. You blast them with your machine gun but they are able to run up and stab you because the machine gun has no effect on momentum at all. It's minor but would be awesome if they could find a way to fix it.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #21
WSR
Mascot

I picked it up last night and was getting my ass handed to me by the guys on the servers. I find it to be a lot of fun, but I don't know if I can ever get to be as good as some of those guys.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I picked it up last night and was getting my ass handed to me by the guys on the servers. I find it to be a lot of fun, but I don't know if I can ever get to be as good as some of those guys.

You'll get the hang of it. I'd recommend playing as support or something and following your squad around to see how they operate. It'll give you a good idea for the best places to attack/defend. Support also gives you a chance to build up some good points without having to kill people. This will allow you to unlock some of the other weapons such as the artillery strike that is really helpful.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

I just bought this today, haven't played it yet...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
WSR
Mascot

Quote:
You'll get the hang of it. I'd recommend playing as support or something and following your squad around to see how they operate. It'll give you a good idea for the best places to attack/defend. Support also gives you a chance to build up some good points without having to kill people. This will allow you to unlock some of the other weapons such as the artillery strike that is really helpful.

Thanks for the tips. I will give that a try later today.