Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(poker) The one time you want to count your money when you're sittin at the table..

Watching the WSOP $1500 replay on ESPN360.

All in and a call.

AJ vs 22

Flop: J52
Turn: J
River: 9

(The 2's turn a full house and win the pot, beating AJ's three J's)

They don't count the money, just ship it over to the winner, and the AJ player stands up, shakes everyone's hand and leaves, smiling. He turned $1500 into $58K. Not a bad day's work.

However, the ESPN360 folks note a few hands later.. HIS DAY SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OVER YET! The AJ Player had about 70K in chips more then the 22 player when the hand started.

Once a hand had been played however, the move becomes well, un-undoable. The 22 player gets a bonus of 70K in chips, and the AJ player can't do anything to fix the error.

Now, it was probable that he wasn't going to be able to come back from being down at 70K, the next lowest was at 500K, but what's that saw about all you need is a chip and a chair?

So when you're playing your next brick and mortar poker tournament, make sure they count the chips when you lose an all-in hand.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Ouch... isn't that the dealer's job to count the chips?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

it was, but since that guy is probably fired, it isnt his job anymore.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

He's probably an ESPN analyst now.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Bad job by the dealer, but how, as a player, do you not know who at the table you have covered and who has you covered? Thats like a baseball player forgetting what order you run the bases in.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
hhiipp
College Prospect

My only guess is it could have been an online player who isn't accustomed to having chips physically in front of him and in the heat of the moment lost track of his actual count.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Even as an online player, cronin has a point - you should always know what you are at and what (roughly) everyone else is at - most especially if you are going all-in against someone else. I sure as hell would want to know if I cover him or not. Sure, the dealer is supposed to catch that, but this is more on the player IMO.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the whole thing has me confused.

It is stricly against the rules for one player to give anothe player chips, so I don't see how the other player was allowed to keep the other 70K, I know if I was another player at the table I would raise hell.

I am guessing the player took off and that 70K was actualy blinded off the following hands.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

From the sound of it, the player with 22 got the $70K because no one noticed the mistake.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
the whole thing has me confused.

It is stricly against the rules for one player to give anothe player chips, so I don't see how the other player was allowed to keep the other 70K, I know if I was another player at the table I would raise hell.

I am guessing the player took off and that 70K was actualy blinded off the following hands.

I guess the dealer failed to count the chips and just shipped all the loser's chips off to the winner.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

I honestly cannot imagine a serious poker event where, especially this deep, with this sort of stack involved, at least three or four of the players at the table would totally flip out before seeing the chips shoved without a count. I call bullshit on the narrative.

Maybe the AJ guy steamed off and got blinded down (the proper way to handle this) and the ESPN coverage just shorthanded it... but under no circumstance would (a) the dealer just give the other player the extra chips, nor (b) the table stand for that sort of blunder.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Bad job by the dealer, but how, as a player, do you not know who at the table you have covered and who has you covered? Thats like a baseball player forgetting what order you run the bases in.

You ask. Repeatedly. Over and over until it annoys the shit out of the other players and then you ask some more.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
You ask. Repeatedly. Over and over until it annoys the shit out of the other players and then you ask some more.

Well, yes. That's how I play, and I have only played in really little tournaments.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote