Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

I love penguins but are they the stupidest surviving species on the planet?

I've been watching March of the Penguins and it's a super movie. I have been a penguin fan since I met my first one, one on one, at the Columbia Zoo and the little one let me pet it, rubbed up against my finger and was just super cool as hell to all of us who gave it attention.

Damn though, they're just not very bright.

1. They march 70 damned miles to find a "safe spot." Never mind there's no food along the way and they both have to march there, the female has to march back to get food and march one more time, then the male needs to march back to eat. Damn.

No, that's not all. No sir.

The movie shows that the females have to pass the eggs to the males and if it cracks, which they say happens to the young ones if they're inexperienced, well, the deals off and they both walk back.

Well damn. As a dude, I'd be making sure of that. Sorry honey, I missed the egg handover. Damn. I so wanted to wait 4 months until you came back so I could walk 70 miles until I could eat again. Damn. We better try next year. Let's head on back home now. Sorry.

Super cool species but dumber than a pile of hammers.

Discuss.

Oh, and lets not forget, since it's on now, the dads, who are starving and walk the 70 miles back, come back and deal with the mothers and kids who they stranded starving in miserableland.

Oh, and they made a great deal about how they recognized each other by their voices. Screw that. If I made it back, I'd be "yeah honey I recognize your voice" to the first penguin of the opposite sex I see. Not like Alan Derschowitz would intervene.

It all seems so sad. Maybe they'd lose some 20 miles away but damn. Just damn.

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I find that huddle they do all winter the most astounding thing ever. Problem is, short of setting up a subdivision on Ross Island, I'm not sure what you expect them to do. They can't fly, they don't have hands to build houses and so...seems like they do pretty good work for what they're stuck with. And they're blessed with being in a place where they don't have many predators, short of the suckers that eat their eggs.

Hell of a tradeoff, but better than say, being an ant.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I find that huddle they do all winter the most astounding thing ever. Problem is, short of setting up a subdivision on Ross Island, I'm not sure what you expect them to do. They can't fly, they don't have hands to build houses and so...seems like they do pretty good work for what they're stuck with. And they're blessed with being in a place where they don't have many predators, short of the suckers that eat their eggs.

Hell of a tradeoff, but better than say, being an ant.

They don't have to huddle a full 70 miles off shore do they? Plus ant's are doing way more better than penguins on the survival scale and I don't think I've ever heard of a penguin being burned by a human with a magnifying glass.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I find that huddle they do all winter the most astounding thing ever. P

PS, I am obviously being tounge in cheek here but I had to say I do agree with this.

It's not smart but it's astounding.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
They don't have to huddle a full 70 miles off shore do they? Plus ant's are doing way more better than penguins on the survival scale and I don't think I've ever heard of a penguin being burned by a human with a magnifying glass.

Ants are pretty astounding in their own right. Those sucks are smart, mean and well...they don't need men to do the heavy lifting or much of anything else. lol...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

There's a Georges Laraque joke in here somewhere...