Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
Easy Mac

ESPN the Magazine (with Insider free), 4 years for $12

Sale at a random magazine site that has pretty good reviews through fat wallet. It shows up as $120 for 4 years, but eventually during the checkout you enter the code JUNE08 at checkout. The price then drops to $12 for 4 years of ESPN the Magazine.

Just use the mag as toilet paper, but you get ESPN Insider for the life of your subscription, which is good enough for those of us too lazy to pay for Bill James or Baseball Prospectus.

http://publicationstation.net/items/...spn-detail.htm

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm not going to trust any website that uses "except" instead of "accept"
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I took on the deal. $12 for 4 years of toilet reading and the occasional good article on Insider.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
molson
General Manager

Their ESPN "preview" issues aren't the worst thing the world, and I think Insider is worth it, if only to avoid that annoyance when you click on an article you can't access.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Error

Coupon code entered is not valid or reached it maximum usage limit.

Use your browser's back button to return to the previous page.

Dammit!
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23 View Post
Error

Coupon code entered is not valid or reached it maximum usage limit.

Use your browser's back button to return to the previous page.

Dammit!

Try SpursRule or PistonsSuck
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

crazycheapmagazines.com has 3 years of espn the mag for 12 bucks.. i just haven't pulled the trigger yet.. trying to find someone with some experience with that site..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
crazycheapmagazines.com has 3 years of espn the mag for 12 bucks.. i just haven't pulled the trigger yet.. trying to find someone with some experience with that site..

the only thing i can find in a few google searches for the crazy cheap magazines site is one post on fatwallet that is low rated and only had two responses, one of which is "hmm looks like spam." I'm not trusting that one either.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I just tried to email them and it bounced back to me immediately.. not a good sign
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

*bump*

I saw this deal featured on Slick Deals. I've never used this site and it seems too good to be true but who knows?

1 Sale a Day.com is offering 3 years of ESPN the Magazine plus ESPN.com Insider for $3. Here's a link to the Slick Deals thread about it, too.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm pretty sure the deal is $3 per year, so 3 years = $9, I got it simply for access to insider and every now and then they have a decent article.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow - that sounds like a hell of a good deal. i'll have to hop on that...if just so i can get to the insider stuff
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Insider is worth it for that price alone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I subscribed to the magazine for a couple of years, it is decent for bathroom material but not much else. The insider stuff was decent though, especially if you start reading an interesting article on ESPN (yeah the irony) that turns into an insider's only feature.

Anything less than $10/year for it is not a bad deal imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I subscribed to the magazine for a couple of years, it is decent for bathroom material but not much else. The insider stuff was decent though, especially if you start reading an interesting article on ESPN (yeah the irony) that turns into an insider's only feature.

Anything less than $10/year for it is not a bad deal imo.

Exactly my thought.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not valid for Canada, eh?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

Got it for 3 years, $9 total, I figure each magazine is at least one roll of toilet paper, so that should about pay for the $9 alone forgetting about the insider.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

DOES IT RENEW AUTOMATICALLY???
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
DOES IT RENEW AUTOMATICALLY???

of course, silly

Quote:
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
Tasan
College Starter

Took this offer up. I was tired of not having Insider, and at 3 bucks a year its worth it having to recycle a mag a month (unless its gotten better since I had it about 3 years ago).
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Took this offer up. I was tired of not having Insider, and at 3 bucks a year its worth it having to recycle a mag a month (unless its gotten better since I had it about 3 years ago).

it hasn't

Quote:
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

Magazine is wretched -- I usually don't even open it up.

Just straight to the recycling bin for me, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I got the original subscription and then I was able to add one more year onto my subscription for a dollar. So far, five years for $13, not bad.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Oddly enough, I used to subscribe to Insider and got it for free. Never read it, it usually would sit on the tank for a month or 2 until I just dumped it in the recycling bin. Note, I usually have the latest Game Informer in my main bathroom, in addition to an Uncle John's reader in my guest bathroom...which I found more interesting.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #25
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Signed up today...wouldnt let me do multiples though so I will try it for a year
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so who do i have to call to get my subscription code or whatever so i can get access to insider even though it hasn't arrived yet? what's the #?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #27
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Any new word/deals about/for this?
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

It said on the website it will take 6-8 weeks to receive the first issue, so it could be up to another 3 weeks.
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i have tried to login to insider using my name + mailing address but it keeps saying my info is not on file...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #30
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

I just called ESPN Mag Customer support at 1-888-267-3684 and asked for my account number. After receiving that I was able to enter my info here and active my insider account which is now working.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah...i suppose i should do that
Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #32
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

So, I just got an email stating my insider was expiring already and that it was set to auto renew the 27th of October. I guess it goes on 11-month cycles and for some reason mine was set to expire. I called up insider as this had to be a mistake at 1-888-549-ESPN and was told about the 11-month cycles and what to do. When you get this email you will need to call them up at the number above and ask for them to turn off the auto renewal. Then when your term expires you have to go and sign up again using the link two posts above this to keep getting it for free.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #33
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So apparently the first year of my 4-year subscription expired, since I can't get into Insider anymore. If I go on the site and re-subscribe, am I going to have to call them to make sure they don't charge me at the end of the next 11-12 months? Am I going to have to do this every year? Are they going to know I have multiple years of subscriptions?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #34
Ksyrup

Sheesh, what a pain in the ass. The answer to my questions are yes yes yes. I called and tried to walk through the issue, she told me she manually activated my Insider account after what she walked me through didn't work, and it still doesn't work. maybe it needs to reset after some time. I'll try later before I call again. Argh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wonder if this will happen to me now. Fucko.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #36
Ksyrup

She took me through what I had already gone through, which was the activation page. But when I put in all the info, it was saying my member name was already in use. So she just manually activated it. It's working now, I guess I had to give it 5 minutes to reset or something.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Looks like you were in mini-meltdown mode.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #38
Easy Mac

Yeah, every single year, even though it tells me that my insider subscription will last the length of my magazine sub (4 years), The insider expires every year and they charge me $40 for insider access. A phone call fixes it, then the next day I just enter my info and I get my free insider. I guess they assume enough people won't notice/care that they'll make a tidy profit.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #39
Ksyrup

I didn't get charged - both times, I had them disable the auto-renewal feature. But getting it turned back on is a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm assuming a year subscription is the longest subscription you can get to Insider? If not, then there's no reason for making us go through this every 11 months other than hoping people get conned into paying for something they are supposed to get free. If Insider subscriptions are capped at a year, then I guess I can understand not having a process for giving us a 4 year subscription.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-17-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #40
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

http://dealzon.com/deals/espn-insider-free-trial

ESPN Insider for free until 3/12, no strings.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #41
Ramzavail
College Starter

heh, I thought you meant 03/2012. Still signed up though. Thanks.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #42
Ksyrup

Motherfucker. I figured I better vent here before I call these fucks. I posted last year about how my supposed 4 year subscription ended after 1 year and what a pain in the ass it was to get them to re-activate my Insider subscription. Well, I was looking back through my online AmEx account transactions to total up some business expenses, and what do I come across from mid-August but a $39.95 charge from ESPN for Insider.

So right away, I know what happened. But I wasn't asked for anything. It just happened. I didn't get notice of it, nothing. It appeared seamless, from my side of things. So I just now went to my ESPN.com account info to look at it, and it appears (at least at first blush) that those motherfuckers re-created my account and charged me without me knowing it. The expiration date they have on my CC is 12/2021. That's not correct. My guess is they just put a date as far as out as they could so they could keep charging me. My "order" and date of account creation are September 7th.

I am beyond pissed. I should have 2 more years of free Insider. And I damn sure don't appreciate ESPN dummying up an account to charge me for something I shouldn't have to pay for.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #43
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Motherfucker. I figured I better vent here before I call these fucks. I posted last year about how my supposed 4 year subscription ended after 1 year and what a pain in the ass it was to get them to re-activate my Insider subscription. Well, I was looking back through my online AmEx account transactions to total up some business expenses, and what do I come across from mid-August but a $39.95 charge from ESPN for Insider.

So right away, I know what happened. But I wasn't asked for anything. It just happened. I didn't get notice of it, nothing. It appeared seamless, from my side of things. So I just now went to my ESPN.com account info to look at it, and it appears (at least at first blush) that those motherfuckers re-created my account and charged me without me knowing it. The expiration date they have on my CC is 12/2021. That's not correct. My guess is they just put a date as far as out as they could so they could keep charging me. My "order" and date of account creation are September 7th.

I am beyond pissed. I should have 2 more years of free Insider. And I damn sure don't appreciate ESPN dummying up an account to charge me for something I shouldn't have to pay for.
Make sure you tell them when you call that you have contacted your state At tourney General to look into wire fraud on their part and will be retaining a lawyer.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #44
Ksyrup

I am an attorney. And looking for a good class action to retire on, too.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #45
Ksyrup

Well, I called up, bitched, and they are refunding the money, of course. But I questioned how the account got set up and why my expiration date was changed, and they had no answer. The lady - who obivously was just a low-level CSR - acknowledged that they had issues between their .com and Mag systems working well together. She went ahead and cancelled the auto-renew and gave me an extended free year on top of this one, which will basically take me until the end of the 4-year subscription (August 2013). So I will likely have to call up and go through the rigamarole once again next summer, but I shouldn't get charged for it.

The credit card thing is an issue, though. I'm pretty sure that back in August 2009 my CC expiration was 11/2011. Before it expired, they sent me a new one with a 2014 expiration date. That means someone manually input a 12/2021 expiration date into my account. I bet that's a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation.

TREBLE DAMAGES!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #46
spleen1015
Coordinator

Some how or another I figured out a couple of weeks ago that I got insider since I was a ESPN the Mag subscriber. When I sent in to activate it, it asked for credit card info.

I said fuck this shit and didn't activate it. I'm not going to have them hitting me for this BS.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #47
Ksyrup

Yeah, I didn't like that either. They require a CC account to set up Insider. Which is fine, but if they are going to link Insider with the Mag subscription, they should have systems that communicate and coordinate the two accounts. A lot of companies work off of auto-renew stuff, so that's not a big surprise. But getting charged for something I still was owed 2 more free years of, is an issue. And I bet thousands of people have been charged and never realized it.