Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Jemele Hill of ESPN suspended..

For comparing rooting for the Celtics to rooting for Hitler or the Russians.

She wrote in a column: “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan"

The ESPN Statement stated. “Jemele has been relieved of her writing and on-air responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words,”

(wait, she had on-air responsibilities?)

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haha.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
She wrote in a column: “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan"

She got suspended for that? Really?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

She was a frequent member of First Take
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well people have been wanting her to get suspended for a while. The commenters over there HATE that black writers write about race so much. And ESPN just baits them into it. I've seen her on Jim Rome a few times and she doesn't strike me as particularly knowledgeable and her writing seems limited.

I'm guessing her editor let it slip because he probably wanted an excuse. Because NO WAY you let Hitler go in a sports story for any reason. I don't care. She didn't make a cogent point and why insert politics into an article where 1) the majority of the audience won't get it and 2) she didn't make a clear point.

But then, this is ESPN. Big shock.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

Comparing the Celtics to Hitler? She must be one hard core Lakers fan.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
She got suspended for that? Really?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...ome&position=1

and for even more opinion on it

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opi...icleid=1101533
Old 06-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

a fan of DEEEtroit basketball (she grew up in the days of the Celtics-Pistons rivalry.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Jas_lov
College Starter

Good riddance
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
She didn't make a cogent point and why insert politics into an article where 1) the majority of the audience won't get it and 2) she didn't make a clear point.

But then, this is ESPN. Big shock.

I agree with this. Her statement about Hitler (I suppose no one really cares about her equating the Celtics with Cold War Russia) just doesn't make any sense. I mean, how is rooting for the Celtics "like saying Hitler was a victim"? I just don't get it.

It's not like she's saying rooting for the Celtics is "like rooting for Hitler." I guess she's implying that rooting for the Celtics is like having sympathy for Hitler? I don't know.

It's all pretty stupid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yawn. I never thought she was much of a writer. Take away the tits and she's anyone else.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. Surely, TSG has made some sort of hyperbolic reference like that to make a point, probably about the Yankees.

Is she a Page 2 writer? Never heard of her. But that kind of half-joking "commentary" seems to be what ESPN was going for with Page 2 to begin with. Jim Caple's attempted humor is so bad. I haven't read a Page 2 article in months.

Meh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-18-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Sgran
High School Varsity

15 yards for gratuitous hyperbole.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

This one is pretty stupid.

Quote:

This one is beyond the pale.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
Autumn
Head Coach

I haven't read anything more than I see here, but I would guess what she meant was Celtics fans are acting as if the Celtics were some kind of underdog because they haven't won in 21 years, while fans of other teams look at the Celtics 17 championship banners and say boo-hoo. So, it's kind of like (not really, but I'm trying to work with her here) acting as if Hitler is the victim when in fact he's the perpetrator. Here the Celtics are acting as an underdog when in fact they're a hugely successful franchise. Not a well done analogy but I think that's what she was going for. I'm sure there is a better analogy out there but she didn't find it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. Surely, TSG has made some sort of hyperbolic reference like that to make a point, probably about the Yankees.

Is she a Page 2 writer? Never heard of her. But that kind of half-joking "commentary" seems to be what ESPN was going for with Page 2 to begin with. Jim Caple's attempted humor is so bad. I haven't read a Page 2 article in months.

Meh.

She's a Page 2 writer, yes. I think she came on after Whitlock was dismissed. All they had her do was write race articles. Not particularly good ones at that. Made the comment folk ride her for ages. All of her stories probably have tons of comments.

This incident will likely get her a job somewhere else, whereas if they'd just canned her and been done, she'd have been an afterthought.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I haven't read anything more than I see here, but I would guess what she meant was Celtics fans are acting as if the Celtics were some kind of underdog because they haven't won in 21 years, while fans of other teams look at the Celtics 17 championship banners and say boo-hoo. So, it's kind of like (not really, but I'm trying to work with her here) acting as if Hitler is the victim when in fact he's the perpetrator. Here the Celtics are acting as an underdog when in fact they're a hugely successful franchise. Not a well done analogy but I think that's what she was going for. I'm sure there is a better analogy out there but she didn't find it.

That could be it. Maybe it'd make sense in the context of the entire column, but I'll never know because I don't really care to read it.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think it had something to do with the mentality that a lot of non-partisan fans had, saying "I don't like Boston, but I do like Pierce, Garnett, and Allen, so it will be nice to see them win the trophy."

So, under that analogy would the Celtics be the Nazis and Hitler be Pierce, Garnett, and Allen? Or would the Celtics be Hitler and Pierce, Garnett, and Allen be Hitler's unfortunate and troubled youth that led him to do what he did?

I still don't understand.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
Autumn
Head Coach

Stop before you get suspended too!! Where will this madness end?

Gorbachev's really getting the raw deal here. Nobody cares.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN is worthless. Buncha yapping dogs in a kennel trying to be noticed.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Gorbachev's really getting the raw deal here. Nobody cares.

I agree. Everyone is up in arms over that muddled "Hitler as victim" analogy, while no one appears to care at all about the whole rooting for the Celtics is the equivalent to rooting for the nuclear annilhilation of our entire planet (since everyone knows it doesn't matter who pushes the red button, once it's pushed... it's all over for EVERYPEOPLE).

Maybe this is why the new Indiana Jones movie just doesn't quite work, no one cares about the Russians anymore. They should have stuck with Nazis. Everyone hates those guys.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I assumed she was a Knicks fan from Hymietown.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
ESPN is worthless. Buncha yapping dogs in a kennel trying to be noticed.

You should be suspended for a day due to your insensitive comments equating ESPN writers to our country's poor, abandoned shelter dogs.

You need time to reflect on the impact of your words.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can you complete your ellipsis?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
a fan of DEEEtroit basketball (she grew up in the days of the Celtics-Pistons rivalry.

Ahhh. So she was trying to Lambier her opinion then?

Why is it so hard to just comment on the finals themselves and leave out a somewhat obscure Cold War references and Hitler?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Would it have been ok if she had said that rooting for the Celtics was like rooting for slave owners? Discuss.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Would it have been ok if she had said that rooting for the Celtics was like rooting for Cobra Kai? Discuss.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

out foxed again!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It boggles my mind that professional journalists try so hard to be edgy that they pull stunts like this. Regardless of whether she "could" make those comments or "should" make those comments, the bottom like is that - as a journalist writing to a mass audience - you just don't do that. I learned that shit in my first freshman communications course.

Hell, I'm all for people trying to break down barriers or make strong statements that they believe in, but what was she really trying to do? She was just trying to insult a basketball team and/or basketball fans. The lady could maybe pick a better spot in which to be controversial.

It's hard for me to feel for a journalist who can't even grasp Mass Media 101.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Would it have been ok if she had said that rooting for the Celtics was like rooting for Cobra Kai? Discuss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NCDEoodZD90

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #31
Ksyrup

Again, I blame this on the TSG Phenomenon. It's just that racism and 80s culture aren't exactly equivalents, so when you push the boundaries of sarcastic analogies in a sports reference in an attempt to be funny, you can't expect the same reaction.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #32
JediKooter
Coordinator

Would it have been ok if she made those comments while being naked?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My sense is that she was probably trying to show how smart she is by making a reference like that.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
Ksyrup

ESPN is owned by Disney, and Disney is a bit sensitive about nazi-related matters. To wit:

Walt Disney: Hollywood’s Dark Prince is a biography by Marc Eliot, about the darker side of entertainer Walt Disney. Among the serious character flaws and deeds of Disney’s of which Eliot claims are his life-long anti-Semitism (including a deleted scene from the 1933 Silly Symphony Three Little Pigs in which the Big Bad Wolf dresses as a Jewish peddler), his covert employment by the House Un-American Activities Committee as a spy against Communists in Hollywood, intense right-wing politics (claiming he wore a Barry Goldwater badge when receiving the Medal of Freedom from President Lyndon Johnson just before the 1964 election and refusing to lower the American flag at Disneyland after the assassination of John F. Kennedy) and his fear that he was the illegitimate son of a Spaniard.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

*What is she, some nutty nut girl who's nuts?

*Here we go again...

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #36
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Good riddance

+1
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #37
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is what happens when you hire people based on things out side of intelligence and their ability to be good at the job you are hiring them for.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #38
Critch
lolzcat

She should have gone with Darth Vader.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Would it have been ok if she made those comments while being naked?

A resounding yes
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #40
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I think I speak for most of America when I say--

Who?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #41
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
My sense is that she was probably trying to show how smart she is by making a reference like that.

Wow, that's Dennis Miller level esoteric right there. I mean, who's heard of that Hitler guy anyway?

I think she runs into problems here a bit because of the past perception that the Celtics were the white man's team (Bird, McHale, Ainge), that the organization was racist. It's a long time ago, but I think this perception was held by a few folks in the 80s, rightfully or not. Autumn summarizes pretty well what her angle probably was, but it wasn't a particularly smart analogy and it could be easily misinterpreted.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
A resounding yes

Excellent

Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #43
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wow, that's Dennis Miller level esoteric right there. I mean, who's heard of that Hitler guy anyway?

I think she runs into problems here a bit because of the past perception that the Celtics were the white man's team (Bird, McHale, Ainge), that the organization was racist. It's a long time ago, but I think this perception was held by a few folks in the 80s, rightfully or not. Autumn summarizes pretty well what her angle probably was, but it wasn't a particularly smart analogy and it could be easily misinterpreted.

Seriously. Didn't you people ever see American History X? The white guy liked the Celtics, and the black guy liked the Lakers, duh!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

That fact is backed up by the House of Pain video
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think I speak for most of America when I say--

Who?

Thread winner.

Cock it, Rock it, and Lock it.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #46
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I never read any of her pieces, but I thought she was utterly talentless and useless on-air, in the times I saw her fill-in for Jim Rome or saw her on First Take. I think she was an idiot for what she wrote, but frankly I won't miss her.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I read this earlier today...and I gotta say, I have no fucking clue what this guy is talking about or trying to say.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #48
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

They are a private company so its at their discretion to do what they please with her as far as the job is concerned. I don't agree with what she said but she had the right to say it in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
They are a private company so its at their discretion to do what they please with her as far as the job is concerned. I don't agree with what she said but she had the right to say it in my opinion.

Disney's shareholders disagree.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #50
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Disney's shareholders disagree.

Too clarify I meant they are their own business and have the right to fire anyone.