Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

BD2003's 1st round games to bet on

MIDWEST

Wisconsin-Weber State

Wisconsin couldn't even beat an NIT team in the 1st round of the B10 tourney and Weber State rolled through its conference undefeated and has a near 20 game win streak I believe.

Marquette-Holy Cross

Remember, Holy Cross almost took out Kansas in round 1 last year, and have a 12 game win streak of their own. I still pick Marquette to win (wins over Louisville and Wake Forest), but I also pick Holy Cross to cover.

Indiana-Alabama

I cant bet against a team that has wins over Oklahoma and Xavier, and I think the Tide has something to prove. Indiana went .500 in a below average B10.

WEST

Not a lot of action in the 1st round. The only upset I predict is Gonzaga over Cincy, and that's the 8-9 game.

SOUTH

Michigan State-Colorado

The 7-10 games are usually good for upsets, and outside of Illinois, I think the Big Ten sucks. Colorado beat Kansas and Texas this season, keep in mind.

East

California-NC State

California has looked bad recently, and NC State very nearly took the ACC tourney. Sendek is one of the better coaches in the nation.

Mississippi State-Butler

Butler will be looking to prove that they were snubbed by the NCAAs last year, and MSU is .500 over its last 8 games. Normally, the hottest team wins the championship, not necessarily the best team, and MSU is not playing their best ball.

What do yall think?

bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Most of your picks seem plausible, but I will take issue with a few things you said.

"Sendek is one of the better coaches in the nation"

This couldn't be farther from the truth, IMO. Without Hodge, Sendek is fired after last season. Still, despite Sendek, I will go with NC St. in that game.

Mississippi State vs. Butler should be a pretty good game, and I guess Butler has a shot, but I think Miss. St. will win.

Finally, Wisonsin and Michigan State are funny teams. They just don't impress me that much, btu the style of game they play is a bit unique and I think that gives them an advantage in ther first round games. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised to see only Illinois from the Big 10 in the second round of the tourney.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Marmel is closer to the truth regarding Sendek. There is still a substantial portion of the fanbase that want his blood for not getting to this point several years ago and that he should have been contesting for national championships by this point. I could make a long-winded post on why this is how things are in Wolfpack country, but that would detract from this post.

With regard to the topic at hand, do pick Sendek and State. Sendek has only lost once in a tournament opening round game since coming to State in 1996. NIT, NCAA, ACC, he usually is good for at least one tournament win. Taking on Oklahoma in round two is a different matter altogether, though.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote