Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
firebirds
n00b

Need quick lessons in how to be sneaky, calling all experts!

Ok, this is what I’m hoping you can help me with. The long and short of it is that I want to . . . . I mean Santa would really like to give my daughter a Fender American Standard Stratocaster and appropriate amp for Christmas 2008. What he doesn’t know yet is what fret board wood she would prefer and what body color she would like. Ultimately he would love for her to have everything perfect for her on Christmas day so that she can just plug in and go plus it all be a surprise. He already knows that the MIA Strat is a no-brainer but the only options left are the fret board wood and the body color. Any advice on how I . . . . I mean Santa could obtain that information over the next 6 months without letting the cat out of the bag would be very awsome? I would love to share the story of how we got to where we are at (ok, brag on my daughter) but will only give some history if it is asked for. Anything that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

firebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

only 208 shopping days until christmas
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Ironhead
College Prospect

Hmm, depending on how involved your daughter is on networking sites maybe you slip the questions into one of those MySpace type of personality quizzes and find a way to have her take it. I am talking about the ones that ask you a billion different questions, you answer them and then forward the answers to your friends or post them on your site. These things probably already have a section on music.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Start making her write essays for no reason. After about 8 or 9 of them on subjects you choose, make her write one on her dream guitar. Then just keep going with the essays after that, just to be cruel.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I'd pick up a catalog or join a mailing list so it just "shows up" at the house...then casually look through it while she is around and comment on some of the guitars, see which ones she responds too - that should give you an idea of what she likes.

How old is she? The older she is, the sneakier you'll have to be. You might need to resort to involving a friend to get the information, but then you risk that friend blowing the surprise.

And as payment for becoming involved in your conspiracy, we will require pics of the daughter on xmas morning with the shocked/elated look on her face
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Start making her write essays for no reason. After about 8 or 9 of them on subjects you choose, make her write one on her dream guitar. Then just keep going with the essays after that, just to be cruel.

Dude, you are seriously sick and twisted. And mean.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

get a friend of hers to do it. Preferably her best friend...they'll be vested in keeping the secret too - and you can involve them in the gift by having them by the guitar strap or the stand or something like that so she has a stake in the surprise
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

DaddyTorgo's idea may work, but the kid could still talk. I say play it safe and go with Cringer.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
firebirds
n00b

Lathum: Yeah I know that I'm . . . . I mean that Santa still is aware that there is a long way till Christmas but he figures that if he has to cross into some gray areas of questioning there just might be enough time for her to forget.

Ironhead: Maybe a good idea but in order to plant a seed in the areas that we have allowed her to get into (for her safety) any access questions would most definately throw up a red flag to her.

Cringer: Dude, that was brutal and taken as I assume it was intended.

Oliegirl: Yup, you are onto to things. She is going to be a senior in high school so fooling her is going to be tough, especially since she is beginning to understand how I work. Unfortunately the "just shows up" idea won't work because she would catch on to that in a flash, but wait . . . . you know that just might work out after all. Because we just got her a 2nd acoustic on Memorial Day so I might be able to play that off. Yeah, that could be it . . . . because we got it at a guitar store chain we got onto their automailing list because of how much we spent. You know you could be on to something there.

But I still would like to get more input so please keep it coming. This time next year she will be going to college in California (that's a bit of a commute from Indiana) I'm kinda' running out of time to pull the last few big events in her "at home years". Thank you all and again please keep input coming.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
DaddyTorgo's idea may work, but the kid could still talk. I say play it safe and go with Cringer.

but why would the kid talk? they're older kids - if you get the friend involved in the present then have them there when it's opened somehow then I think they'd want to keep it quiet...i know I would have for any of my friends in HS
Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
get a friend of hers to do it. Preferably her best friend...they'll be vested in keeping the secret too - and you can involve them in the gift by having them by the guitar strap or the stand or something like that so she has a stake in the surprise

Ummmm...no chance in hell they'll kepp the secret. Besides this, there are several good ideas here.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
dacman
College Benchwarmer

If she's a girly girl, get shell pink and rosewood.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If there's a guitar store around, and she's shown that much interest in guitar, it wouldn't be too unusual to walk in with her and browse one day while you're out shopping, and then you could just pay attention?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Or buy a copy of Rock Band and see how she customizes her character?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn't see have a favorite color? If you walk into her room and if everything is blue well.. probably would be a good clue.

Or, don't get it, just put the money aside and get a Barbie Doll accessory guitar and wrap that up. When she opens it, just say 'Well, you wanted a guitar right?'

Then just take her out and let her pick it out.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Doesn't see have a favorite color? If you walk into her room and if everything is blue well.. probably would be a good clue.

Or, don't get it, just put the money aside and get a Barbie Doll accessory guitar and wrap that up. When she opens it, just say 'Well, you wanted a guitar right?'

Then just take her out and let her pick it out.

Mustang might be onto something here in a way. If she's really as talented as it seems like she might be (??) then she will doubtless be very picky about certain things on her guitar, so unless you're absolutely certain you're getting them right, you might actually do best to leave the actual outfitting of it to her?

it's not as "spectacular" as having the actual guitar though, I know
Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Start an argument with her, but steer the argument in such a way as to make her feel incredibly guilty. Then tell her that if she really loves you, she'll buy you a guitar. See what color she buys you. There you go.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Anybody else a little creeped out by the repeated use of "I... I mean Santa"?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

dola: especially considering we're talking about a high school senior? No offense, but why not sit down and just talk to her about what she would love to have in her dream guitar? I think she's old enough that she'll appreciate the father/daughter conversation and the building of the guitar together.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirds View Post
Cringer: Dude, that was brutal and taken as I assume it was intended.

It was inspired by an episode of Wife Swap I saw this week, the parents in one family always made their kids write essays for not doing their chores. Yet they wouldn't believe that the kids didn't like it.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Obviously this isn't the REAL Santa, because he'd know.

I like the barbie idea, tho. The big let-down leading to the big surprise, you'd be a hero.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
dola: especially considering we're talking about a high school senior? No offense, but why not sit down and just talk to her about what she would love to have in her dream guitar? I think she's old enough that she'll appreciate the father/daughter conversation and the building of the guitar together.

That would take all the fun and surprise out of it.

Surprises rock! Especially when they're something this cool.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #23
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

If you just bought one, then you are already in a good position, most specialty stores take names/addresses at checkout now, so it's completely plausable that you ended up on their mailing list.

Another thing, if she frequents the local music/guitar shops, maybe stop in without her and ask the sales people if they know her, has she looked at anything in particular, etc. If not, ask them to try and get some ideas - if you are going to buy the guitar there, they'll help you if they know it'll get them the sale...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #24
gkb
High School Varsity

This is probably too simplistic, but can you just browse the web with her one day? You know, end up at the Fender site, look through the guitars, pay attention to which one she "loves", and then move on? If you do that soon maybe by the time Christmas rolls around she'll have forgotten all about it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #25
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so no one has asked it might as well be me since I have a daughter and am interested. How did you get to this point, as you put it? Is she in a band? Does she rock the casbah?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #26
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
but why would the kid talk? they're older kids - if you get the friend involved in the present then have them there when it's opened somehow then I think they'd want to keep it quiet...i know I would have for any of my friends in HS

It's a high school girl. Of course she's going to tell someone.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #27
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
If you just bought one, then you are already in a good position, most specialty stores take names/addresses at checkout now, so it's completely plausable that you ended up on their mailing list.

Another thing, if she frequents the local music/guitar shops, maybe stop in without her and ask the sales people if they know her, has she looked at anything in particular, etc. If not, ask them to try and get some ideas - if you are going to buy the guitar there, they'll help you if they know it'll get them the sale...

I think that is an excellent idea.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
firebirds
n00b

Cringer I’m so glad you asked, I was busting at the seams. Christmas of 2005 I got her a beginner acoustic guitar set up because she showed interest. She had been playing flute for a few years so I thought it was worth a try to give her another instrument she was interested in. Not wanting to invest much in case she didn’t take to it, the entire set up was only $200. Every lesson in care and maintenance to be learned was learned and nearly every mistake that could be made has been witnessed with “Old Blue”. “Old Blue” went south so fast that she had to use her instructor’s guitar for her school concert this past October.

Coming home from work this past Thanksgiving eve I heard a very reputable music store in our area was closing their guitar section to concentrate on their pianos and organs. Everything must go at 40-50% off. So we are waiting for them to open up the store the following Friday. Three hours later we walk out the door with her “Baby”. She was now the proud owner of a Seagull Artist Cameo CW acoustic with EBM Quantum II electronics. This isn’t a mass produced assembly line factory guitar. It is hand made professional quality guitar listing for $1,500. Now she has “Old Blue” to keep at school for class and her “Baby” to keep at home for practice and performances.

The condition of “Old Blue” became terminal, the buzzards were circling and landing fast. So we went out Memorial Day to find her a new 2nd guitar. Well 4 hours later her Takamine EG440C-STRQ with TP4T electronics is getting a courtesy set up. As I said this was intended to be a 2nd guitar but it is still a high quality guitar listing for $600. While “Redd” was on the rack she asked if she could go check out the electrics. “Sure, no problem we have about 30 minutes so knock yourself out” I tell her. She deliberately goes right for the Stratocaster, plugs in and goes to town.

As I watch her turn all kinds of knobs and dials, flipping switches every which way to get the right sound/affect she’s after for the song she wants to play I see a twinkle in her eye and a wicked little smile. On the ride home we talk about the 12 string guitars she played, why she didn’t like the $2,000 Gibson she put thru the paces, then I turn our conversation to the electrics. The long and short of it is that she would love to have an electric and if she could have one it would need to be a Stratocaster. Why, because they fit and she likes ‘em. Good enough for me, I’m just a Dad, what do I know?

She is very good, I’m biased so take it for what it’s worth. But her instructors feel she is good enough to get an A+ for every grading period over 2 years of classes. She also is very knowledgeable and knows what she wants. In our last outing, within a couple of strums she knew the strings on the guitar she was playing were old and the neck had a slight bow and needed a truss rod adjustment. She picked out her Takamine because it is a good guitar and it fits but more importantly this model had a curly maple sound board and she wanted a little deeper/earthy tone for her second guitar than the spruce gives her on the Seagull. She really knows what she wants.

> >
Both of her acoustics are the envy of her guitar classmates, instructors, and those she plays with at church. Half of her second year guitar final was to write and perform a song during the school’s Mayfest Performing Arts presentation. She and her 2 partners wrote a beastly complex 3 part harmony piece that got them a standing ovation plus requests to play it again in the open mic stage area. The 2nd part of her final was to play either “Green Sleeves” or “Stairway To Heaven”. Every beginner attempts “Stairway To Heaven” so in order to get a passing grade one needs to nail it. She got an A+ with special recognition from the instructor.>>
> >
In answer to other comments, thank you all. I thought about getting some conspirators (her friends) to help me out but I just don’t trust them in not letting something slip and ruin the surprise. Blue is her favorite color but she picked out the Takamine because she liked the way the transparent red stain high lighted the wood grain better than the blue did. Regarding the color pink, if our currency were pink she would quit asking me for money just because of the color. We have done the father/daughter joint mission twice and have enjoyed it more than I can express. But I would really like this one to be the ultimate surprise. Granted the previous treks came out of the blue but they were due to necessity so she knew they were coming, just not exactly when. >>
> >
Old 05-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Easy - take her back to the store at some stage (need new strings or whatever) - simply ask her in passing while she's there in a 'when you're rich and famour what would you have as your strat' sort of way.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #30
Rizon
Pro Starter

I thought this thread was going to be about fudging bank statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

If she's as serious a musician as you say, the color isn't going to be that critical. I mean, I understand wanting to get it right, but I think you want to err on the side of surprise and a conservative choice.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #32
firebirds
n00b

This just might work out, slow but safe I hope. What do you folks think? We will be taking her Seagull to the shop to drop it of far a "6 month" check up here in the next few weeks. By that time I will have found a good electric guitar magazine that mysteriously appears in our mail box for her. While we will are there I'll coax her into checking out the electrics, which shouldn't be too tough. I ask questions, take mental notes and hope she is none the wiser. Shortly after school starts it will be time to bring in her Takamine in for a scheduled set up check at a different music store. Again another good guitar magazine will have mysteriously appeared in our mail box. While we are there she gets coaxed into looking at the electrics once again asking questions and taking mental notes. And so it goes one more time for each guitar. I'm thinking that between the magizines, and multiple trips to the music stores, I just might be able to find out what she wants. The amp is going to be a different story though. I probably will rely on my aunt for guidance. She is a semi-professional muscian.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #33
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-31-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #34
firebirds
n00b

Major progress made this morning. My semi-professional musician aunt has graciously offered one of her smaller Peavey amps towards my cause. YAHOOOO! ! ! ! ! This is the area where I just knew I had the greatest chance to screw up, over buying for what we need.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #35
firebirds
n00b

A situation presented itself this afternoon and I took full adavantage of it. When all is said and done I was able to find out that what she wants is a maple fretboard with a white pickguard on a saphire red body. I think I was able to pull it off because she also found exactly what she wanted on the Ibenez site. Looks like I may have been able to pull this off. Thanks a ton to all those who offered suggestions. I'll try to post a pic of what she got/has when the event happens. Thanks again to everyone.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #36
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cringer I’m so glad you asked, I was busting at the seams. Christmas of 2005 I got her a beginner acoustic guitar set up because she showed interest. She had been playing flute for a few years so I thought it was worth a try to give her another instrument she was interested in. Not wanting to invest much in case she didn’t take to it, the entire set up was only $200. Every lesson in care and maintenance to be learned was learned and nearly every mistake that could be made has been witnessed with “Old Blue”. “Old Blue” went south so fast that she had to use her instructor’s guitar for her school concert this past October.

Coming home from work this past Thanksgiving eve I heard a very reputable music store in our area was closing their guitar section to concentrate on their pianos and organs. Everything must go at 40-50% off. So we are waiting for them to open up the store the following Friday. Three hours later we walk out the door with her “Baby”. She was now the proud owner of a Seagull Artist Cameo CW acoustic with EBM Quantum II electronics. This isn’t a mass produced assembly line factory guitar. It is hand made professional quality guitar listing for $1,500. Now she has “Old Blue” to keep at school for class and her “Baby” to keep at home for practice and performances.

The condition of “Old Blue” became terminal, the buzzards were circling and landing fast. So we went out Memorial Day to find her a new 2nd guitar. Well 4 hours later her Takamine EG440C-STRQ with TP4T electronics is getting a courtesy set up. As I said this was intended to be a 2nd guitar but it is still a high quality guitar listing for $600. While “Redd” was on the rack she asked if she could go check out the electrics. “Sure, no problem we have about 30 minutes so knock yourself out” I tell her. She deliberately goes right for the Stratocaster, plugs in and goes to town.

As I watch her turn all kinds of knobs and dials, flipping switches every which way to get the right sound/affect she’s after for the song she wants to play I see a twinkle in her eye and a wicked little smile. On the ride home we talk about the 12 string guitars she played, why she didn’t like the $2,000 Gibson she put thru the paces, then I turn our conversation to the electrics. The long and short of it is that she would love to have an electric and if she could have one it would need to be a Stratocaster. Why, because they fit and she likes ‘em. Good enough for me, I’m just a Dad, what do I know?

She is very good, I’m biased so take it for what it’s worth. But her instructors feel she is good enough to get an A+ for every grading period over 2 years of classes. She also is very knowledgeable and knows what she wants. In our last outing, within a couple of strums she knew the strings on the guitar she was playing were old and the neck had a slight bow and needed a truss rod adjustment. She picked out her Takamine because it is a good guitar and it fits but more importantly this model had a curly maple sound board and she wanted a little deeper/earthy tone for her second guitar than the spruce gives her on the Seagull. She really knows what she wants.

> >
Both of her acoustics are the envy of her guitar classmates, instructors, and those she plays with at church. Half of her second year guitar final was to write and perform a song during the school’s Mayfest Performing Arts presentation. She and her 2 partners wrote a beastly complex 3 part harmony piece that got them a standing ovation plus requests to play it again in the open mic stage area. The 2nd part of her final was to play either “Green Sleeves” or “Stairway To Heaven”. Every beginner attempts “Stairway To Heaven” so in order to get a passing grade one needs to nail it. She got an A+ with special recognition from the instructor.>>
> >
In answer to other comments, thank you all. I thought about getting some conspirators (her friends) to help me out but I just don’t trust them in not letting something slip and ruin the surprise. Blue is her favorite color but she picked out the Takamine because she liked the way the transparent red stain high lighted the wood grain better than the blue did. Regarding the color pink, if our currency were pink she would quit asking me for money just because of the color. We have done the father/daughter joint mission twice and have enjoyed it more than I can express. But I would really like this one to be the ultimate surprise. Granted the previous treks came out of the blue but they were due to necessity so she knew they were coming, just not exactly when. >>
> >

Nice story man. One reason I show interest is because at Christmas my wife finally gave me an acoustic guitar. Nothing special, but good enough for me since I don't know how to play. I have slowly been teaching my self ever since and my 8 year old daughter keeps saying that when I am better she would like me to teach her. My wife suggested it the other day, and I have thought about it, that we should just get her a guitar and she can learn with me. I would probably want to get her lessons not long after that though, she is young and worth it.

Thanks for the story though, and congrats on finding out what she wants.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
A situation presented itself this afternoon and I took full adavantage of it. When all is said and done I was able to find out that what she wants is a maple fretboard with a white pickguard on a saphire red body. I think I was able to pull it off because she also found exactly what she wanted on the Ibenez site. Looks like I may have been able to pull this off. Thanks a ton to all those who offered suggestions. I'll try to post a pic of what she got/has when the event happens. Thanks again to everyone.

That is so awesome...you are a very cool dad to want to do this for your daughter. I hope it all works out and will be looking forward to pics in 6 1/2 months
Old 06-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #38
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

ROFLMAO!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #39
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

You could either have the guitar store send her email saying they are doing a survey of customers so they know what to stock in their store. Then based on those answers from her, you should get a pretty good idea. I don't see why the store wouldn't want to be in on it, since they are going to get a sale out of it; or just buy her what you think she wants with an ok from the store that you can return for something completely different if necessary.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #40
firebirds
n00b

Hope this works, here is a pic of what I believe she wants.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #41
firebirds
n00b

Ok, that didn't work. Running out of time right now. Guess I'll have to figure out how to paste/insert a pic later. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #42
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I really liked the essay idea, and am a little disappointed that it didn't get more consideration. Glad you got things figured out though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #43
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I want an official red Fender American Standard Stratocaster with maple fretboard, white pickguard and a thing that tells time.

Careful kid, you'll get callouses.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #44
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

> >
> >
> >

I like you. You're a great dad. The world needs more people like you.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #45
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

My daughter was really into the sax when she was 10, so I bought her one for Christmas. She was at my mom's place when the package came and was very interested in the contents of the box. I told her the truth... that I had ordered her aunt's gift online and had it delivered there. (I neglected to mention it had arrived the previous day, but I told the truth!)

I then let her help me wrap what she had no clue was her own gift.

Your daughter's face on Christmas will make all of this worth it!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #46
firebirds
n00b

Thanks Schmidty, I try to do my best. I'm not forgetting the little ones, they are both ready for new bikes. And I think Mrs. Firebirds (aka, The Boss) probably would like a video camera.

You deeked her good Blue and still told the truth, can't beat that.

Yup I'm hoping that if I can pull this whole thing off for everybody, I think I'm the one going to be getting the best Christmas gift.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #47
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks Schmidty, I try to do my best. I'm not forgetting the little ones, they are both ready for new bikes. And I think Mrs. Firebirds (aka, The Boss) probably would like a video camera.

You deeked her good Blue and still told the truth, can't beat that.

Yup I'm hoping that if I can pull this whole thing off for everybody, I think I'm the one going to be getting the best Christmas gift.
You haven't asked me what I'd like yet? I'm only 40 or so minutes west of ya!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
firebirds
n00b

Ok, INDalltheway I'll bite. What would you like for Christmas? Especially since your only 40 minutes or so from me and my brother-in-law got both of his PHD's in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #49
firebirds
n00b

Latest update. The amp gift from my Aunt fell thru. Logistics and cost of getting it safely from Nevada to Indiana was tough plus she realized that her sentimental attachment was a bit to strong to pass it along right now. But she has graciously offered to throw a few big bills towards the effort and guide me thru selecting the best amp for my daughter right now. I stopped by the music store I will be working with and spent 1/2 an hour talking to the salespeople. They will be helping me with the master plan. We followed one salesmen, Kris, to this store when after his previous employer closed their guitar section. So this is what we will do. Early next week my daughter and I will be taking in her Seagull for a "check up" and discuss the possibility of lowering the action just a bit with Kris. While he has it up on the rack taking care of business, Dennis (electric and amp dude) will suggest that my daughter take a look at electrics. He is going to offer up a Strat for her to play and methodically hook her up to a selection of amps. Dennis then will get a better idea of which amp is going to best for her right now.

I'm going to be doing the same thing at the music store where we got her the Takamine. I'll have to do a bit more ground work with them because I/we haven't yet developed the relationship that we have at the first store. But I feel very confident that they will help, especially their #1 guitar tech. He recognized me when I came in a few days after the purchase to get something for my daughter and asked how she was liking the guitar and reinforced that he is there for us any time we need anything.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #50
firebirds
n00b

If all goes well I will win an ebay auction for a Peavey Bullet 112 amp this evening. This is the model amp I was strongly advised to get for her. If I loose out on this auction there are 4, maybe 5, others ending with the next 4 days. Right now I'm sitting on killer good deal . . . . . but I'm sure that my current bid will not get it done but my max bid might still work.