Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The OFFICIAL 2008-09 NHL Offseason Thread

Apparently Detroit and Chicago will play outdoors at Wrigley Field. If so I wiwll no doubt be there.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola. Story today said Sundin will go to Montreal or Detroit. No shot on Detroit with Zs contract up soon unless he takes a huge paycut to play with the Swedes.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently Detroit and Chicago will play outdoors at Wrigley Field. If so I wiwll no doubt be there.

Why not at Soldier Field? Football scheduling conflict?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If Sundin is gone, I don't see how Toronto isn't all over Hossa this summer.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Why not at Soldier Field? Football scheduling conflict?

Not sure if there is, but that would be brutally, brutally cold with the wind whipping in right off Lake Michigan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola. Story today said Sundin will go to Montreal or Detroit. No shot on Detroit with Zs contract up soon unless he takes a huge paycut to play with the Swedes.

I agree. I don't think the Wings will be in any sort of position to land a big name free agent. Zetterberg is due for a big raise, Fillpula will see some more cash, and they will also try to sign Stuart to keep him around. I really don't see too much in the way of roster turnover this year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Pretty messed up that most of the posts in this thread so far are made by fans of one of the two teams who have not entered the offseason yet.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, if the rest of the NHL knows what's good for it, it will not allow Kyle Beach to fall to the Ducks. If you don't know him, go read up on him. I'm not sure I have ever heard of a player being more exactly Burke's type of player. Heck, it's like Bertuzzi comes again. The kid has even had off the ice issues.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, if the rest of the NHL knows what's good for it, it will not allow Kyle Beach to fall to the Ducks. If you don't know him, go read up on him. I'm not sure I have ever heard of a player being more exactly Burke's type of player. Heck, it's like Bertuzzi comes again. The kid has even had off the ice issues.

Duh don't you read the Toronto papers, Burke is your GM in name only
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Dola .. if the rest of the NHL knows what's good for them they won't let Detroit draft a European player after the third round.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

How good is this year's draft pool?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Supposedly pretty good. But it's very defensive heavy. Stamkos is the obvious #1 (the top forward), and then something like 5-6 defensmen are next by most regards. Beach might be the second best forward.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Decent. It's Steve Stamkos and everyone else though.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola .. if the rest of the NHL knows what's good for them they won't let Detroit draft a European player after the third round.

Let Burke take Beach, and you can have all the fourth round Italian players you want.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Duh don't you read the Toronto papers, Burke is your GM in name only

Actually, he's apparently already signed the contract. But the Leafs have allowed him to stay in Anaheim this year, and act like he's making decisions for the Ducks.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering what is going on in Anaheim with the retirement parade, unlike last year, Burke has set a deadline for Teemu and Niedermayer and expects to know their plans for next year by draft day.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Supposedly pretty good. But it's very defensive heavy. Stamkos is the obvious #1 (the top forward), and then something like 5-6 defensmen are next by most regards. Beach might be the second best forward.

Hopefully the Sabres can grab some quality players with the 13th and 26th (via San Jose) selections.

I wish the draft lottery was a little more like the NBA (not as much).
Old 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

TSN is reporting that the Leafs have made an offer to a new coach, but haven't said who it is. In other news, Ron Wilson is getting on a plane for Toronto but won't confirm why he's going.

Seems odd to hire a coach before you have a GM. Conspiracy theorists (i.e. Gary Bettman) may point out that Wilson has some history with Brian Burke.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully the Sabres can grab some quality players with the 13th and 26th (via San Jose) selections.

I wish the draft lottery was a little more like the NBA (not as much).

Sabres need to step up this offseason IMO.

They need to get some exp. We can't have rookies and 24 year olds every season.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
duff88
College Prospect

Draft is coming soon, can't wait as this is one of the best hockey moment in the year. Here's my top 40 for anyone who could be interested:

1. Steven Stamkos - C - CAN
2. Nikita Filatov - LW - RUS
3. Drew Doughty - RD - CAN
4. Zach Bogosian - RD - USA
5. Luke Schenn - RD - CAN
6. Mikkel Boedker - RW - DEN
7. Alex Pietrangelo - RD - CAN
8. Colin Wilson - C - USA
9. Cody Hodgson - C - CAN
10. John Carlson - RD - USA
11. Zach Boychuk - C - CAN
12. Aaron Ness - LD - USA
13. Corey Trivino - C - CAN
14. Mattias Tedenby - LW - SWE
15. Jake Gardiner - LD - USA
16. Michael Del Zotto - LD - CAN
17. Jordan Eberle - C - CAN
18. Anton Gustafsson - C - SWE
19. Josh Bailey - C - CAN
20. Colby Robak - LD - CAN
21. Tyler Cuma - LD - CAN
22. James Livingston - RW - CAN
23. Nicolas Deschamps - LW - CAN
24. Jacob Markström - G - SWE
25. Colten Teubert - RD - CAN
26. Joe Colbourne - C - CAN
27. Tyler Myers - RD - CAN
28. Mitch Wahl - C - USA
29. Shawn Lalonde - RD - CAN
30. Chet Pickard - G - CAN
31. Justin Jokinen - RW - USA
32. Kyle Beach - C - CAN
33. Maxime Sauvé - C - CAN
34. Luca Sbisa - LD - SWI
35. James Wright - C - CAN
36. Zac Dalpe - C - CAN
37. Harri Sateri - G - FIN
38. Jamie Arniel - C - CAN
39. Cody Goloubef - RD - CAN
40. Thomas McCollum - G - USA

H.M. - Luke Adam, Emil Bejmo, Brandon Burlon, Matt Calvert, Tyler Ennis, Evgeny Grachev, Derek Grant, Erik Karlsson, Danny Kristo, Daultan Leveille, Greg Nemisz, Jyri Niemi, Eric O'Dell, Kirill Petrov, Mikhail Stefanovich, Taylor Stefishen, Michael Stone, Viktor Tikhonov, David Toews, David Warsofsky, Patrick Wiercioch

This isn't a mock draft. Those players are rated in my order of preference, and I know this isn't the way things are going to go on draft day. For instance, you can expect Joe Colbourne, Tyler Myers and Kyle Beach to be drafted much higher than I ranked them.

Last edited by duff88 : 06-05-2008 at 09:41 PM.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
Draft is coming soon, can't wait as this is one of the best hockey moment in the year. Here's my top 40 for anyone who could be interested:

28. Mitch Wahl - C - USA
32. Kyle Beach - C - CAN
36. Zac Dalpe - C - CAN

H.M. - Luke Adam, Emil Bejmo, Brandon Burlon, Matt Calvert, Tyler Ennis, Evgeny Grachev, Derek Grant, Erik Karlsson, Danny Kristo, Daultan Leveille, Greg Nemisz, Jyri Niemi, Eric O'Dell, Kirill Petrov, Mikhail Stefanovich, Taylor Stefishen, Michael Stone, Viktor Tikhonov, David Toews, David Warsofsky, Patrick Wiercioch

This isn't a mock draft. Those players are rated in my order of preference, and I know this isn't the way things are going to go on draft day. For instance, you can expect Joe Colbourne, Tyler Myers and Kyle Beach to be drafted much higher than I ranked them.

Duff, you're my hero. I love your draft stuff. How far do you see Filatov falling because of the problem with Russia?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, what I read on Gustafson intrigues me, but there is probably no chance he falls down to Detroit is there?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #22
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Duff, you're my hero. I love your draft stuff. How far do you see Filatov falling because of the problem with Russia?

I usually do detailed stuff with reports, but I haven't had as much time this year to compile everything I have in a presentable format. If anyone has a question though, I'll answer.

I don't see Filatov falling very far. He has made his interest in coming over to North America as soon as next year clear, he already speaks english fluently and has said he will play for any team that drafts him. If they keep their pick, you can expect LA, ATL and STL to select defensemen, which leaves the Islanders as a likely destination for Filatov. Otherwise, I can't see him fall out of the top ten.

Kirill Petrov though, who is another Russian who plays a more power-oriented game and who is considered by most a would-be top-15 talent, has apparently been awful in interviews at the combine and he has a long-term contract in the new russian KHL. This guy's draft day fall should be interesting to watch.

As far as Gustafsson is concerned, I have a hard time seeing him fall all the way to the Wings. He doesn't have huge potential, but he is so good in every aspect of the game that some team oughta pick him in the top 25.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #23
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I usually do detailed stuff with reports, but I haven't had as much time this year to compile everything I have in a presentable format. If anyone has a question though, I'll answer.

I don't see Filatov falling very far. He has made his interest in coming over to North America as soon as next year clear, he already speaks english fluently and has said he will play for any team that drafts him. If they keep their pick, you can expect LA, ATL and STL to select defensemen, which leaves the Islanders as a likely destination for Filatov. Otherwise, I can't see him fall out of the top ten.

Kirill Petrov though, who is another Russian who plays a more power-oriented game and who is considered by most a would-be top-15 talent, has apparently been awful in interviews at the combine and he has a long-term contract in the new russian KHL. This guy's draft day fall should be interesting to watch.

As far as Gustafsson is concerned, I have a hard time seeing him fall all the way to the Wings. He doesn't have huge potential, but he is so good in every aspect of the game that some team oughta pick him in the top 25.

Appreciate it. I was just curious Filatov as I've seen some mocks having him fall near 10 which shocked me but I give you the nod as your stuff is always incredible thorough.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #24
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Sabres need to step up this offseason IMO.

They need to get some exp. We can't have rookies and 24 year olds every season.

Kalinin (not sure if I spelled that right) is gone. I just wish they would spend to the NHL cap. I like the moves so far. But with Miller and Pominville the top goals, I just don't see them shopping. This team does have the talent, they just need focus and passion. I think a quality veteran would bring that.

Did they sign Peters to a two-year contract?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

When is the draft? Is it on TV?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...79281-sun.html

Quote:
Tough task ahead for Pens
GM must deal with coach issue, sign key players in off-season
By STEVE SIMMONS -- Sun Media

PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby's first trip to the Stanley Cup final is not expected to be his last.

But the world is about to get very complicated for Ray Shero, general manager, of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who has a bevy of internal issues he must deal with after the Stanley Cup is presented.

For one thing, there is a brewing problem between coach Michel Therrien and some of his players -- a number of them despise playing for him.

No one will choose the Stanley Cup final as a forum to call out their coach but there are far too many whispers out there that too many players can't stand working for -- or with-- Therrien.

If that isn't an issue to be dealt with immediately, it is certainly something that will grow with time. Brooks Orpik, the free agent defenceman who will be coveted by many teams after July 1, has told people he will not re-sign in Pittsburgh if Therrien is the coach. Jordan Staal, the terrific young player who lives in the shadow of Crosby and Evgeni Malkin -- but is poised to bust out as one of the most complete centres in hockey -- is another Therrien complainer.

If there are more, Shero may have a difficult decision to make. Add to that the belief that part-owner Mario Lemieux hasn't been impressed with Therrien's work in the playoffs and that's another problem for Shero.

As if he needed more issues: Almost half his roster is unsigned for next season. He paid heavily to bring in Marian Hossa at the trade deadline. The trade has paid off -- at least in the short term. Hossa has dispelled any beliefs that he isn't a playoff performer.

But Hossa is a free agent, and it's hard to imagine Pittsburgh has the money to sign him when it has to find a way to sign Evgeny Malkin and Staal (after next season) and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, a restricted free agent. With Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury and defencemen Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney potentially signed for the long-term, it doesn't give Shero much room for salary manipulation in the future.

Hossa and Ryan Malone, possibly the best wingers on the Pens, are both free agents come July 1. Orpik, one half of the No. 1 defence pairing, is also free as are many of the character players such as Gary Roberts, Pasqual Dupuis, Jarkko Ruutu, Adam Hall and Georges Laraque.

In addition, the Pens have Darryl Sydor signed for next season at $2.5 million US, a contract they may buy out for the part-time defenceman.

Which means what for Shero, who won't discuss many of these issues publicly? He needs to find a way to make Malkin and Staal happy, find a way to settle his coaching situation and find a way to fill out almost half his roster while losing some of his most significant leaders and role players along the way.

The challenge is immense.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think the NHL Network is covering it.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #28
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If I had to put money on it two weeks ago, there was no way Hossa was going to be in Pittsburgh after this season.

Now I am not so sure.

Shero doesn't want to lose his two top wingers-- Hossa and Malone. If he think Malone is going to get near $5M a year, I think he'd rather keep Hossa at $8M than Malone at $5M.

Malone is a nice player, and being a Pittsburgh kid, the fans feed into that. Still, this was far and away his best season, and he just broke 50 points. He was a regular part of the PK rotation, but Hossa can fill that role as well. The one place he'd be greatly missed is in front of the net on the PP. We witnessed when Therrien chose to us Crosby-Malkin-Hossa on one of the power plays-- there was no one within 15 feet of the crease.

Excluding FAs, lineup now-

XXXXX - Crosby - XXXXX
XXXXX - Malkin - Sykora
XXXXX - Staal - Kennedy
XXXXX - Talbot - XXXXX

XXXXX - Gonchar
Whitney - Scuderi
Letang - Gill
Sydor (I refuse to list him in the top 6!)

Fleury
XXXXX

Some of those spots will be returning guys-- I can see Adam Hall back. RH shot, can play about anywhere in the bottom 6, kills penalties, and gives them flexibility to move Talbot around.

Ryan Stone is probably ready to move up from Wilkes-Barre into the 4th line LW role. He'll drop the gloves when needed, but is not a heavyweight.

Dupuis started out hot, and declined steadily through the playoffs. I'd bring him back on a 1 year deal, slight raise, to play on the 3rd line.

Orpik is probably gone after the playoff run he had. Mark Eaton could possibly be back after getting killed by injuries the past 2 seasons.

The guy absolutely ready to make the jump from the AHL is Alex Goligoski. Unfortunately for him, he's about 5'10" 180 lbs and on a roster that already has Gonchar, Whitney, Letang. If they absolutely think he's ready, I could see Whitney getting moved to make room for Goligoski as well as clear about $3M of cap space to look at Oprik or another FA defenseman.

Conklin may be back, otherwise they stick with Sabourin. This is Fleury's job now after the run he had.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #29
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

A guy I work with is a good friend of Conklin's. Ty stayed with him during training camp and he would get Ty's playoff tickets. He told me last week that he expects Conklin to stay in Pittsburgh.

Oh and MAF is a RFA right?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-06-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #30
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
A guy I work with is a good friend of Conklin's. Ty stayed with him during training camp and he would get Ty's playoff tickets. He told me last week that he expects Conklin to stay in Pittsburgh.

Oh and MAF is a RFA right?

Yep he's restricted. He'll be 24 during the season next year, which will be his 6th. So he could look for a 2 year deal, which at the end of that one he'd be a UFA.

More realistically, I see the Pens offering him like 4 years at about $4M.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Few little tid bits. Wade Redden is done in Ottawa. The Sens wanted him to take a 50% pay cut and he said no.

Flyers and Oilers make another trade.

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers acquired 5'11", 200-pound defenseman Danny Syvret from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for forward Ryan Potulny, according to Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren.

I know there is an Oilers fan here (johnnyshaka?), how is Syvret?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Round one is Friday night, June 20th and will be on Vs.
the rest of the draft is the next day and will be on the NHL Network
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #33
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Glen Wesley retired
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #34
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Glen Wesley retired
Weird, it looks like the new board software is spitting up posts from five years ago.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #35
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Weird, it looks like the new board software is spitting up posts from five years ago.

yeah. I was shocked to find that not only was he still playing, but he played in 78 games.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #36
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

28. Mitch Wahl - C - USA
32. Kyle Beach - C - CAN
36. Zac Dalpe - C - CAN

duff

3 players I am curious about.

Del Zotto-- is he a product of playing with Tavares? I thought he was ranked, universally, much higher coming into the year.

Tedenby - really intrigued by hm...too bad Pittsburgh has no picks until the 4th round. He seems like (dare I say it!) a Wings type player, small size, but big on skill.

Beach - is he the next Bertuzzi? Or the next Chris Gratton? Or the next Sean Avery??
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #37
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Glen Wesley retired

The last former Hartford Whaler in Carolina. Yes, this is a sad day indeed.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #38
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yep. Carolina announced his jersey's retiring with him as well, joining Francis. He'll be moving to the front office, taking over player development for defensemen.

Hedican also looks to be done, though not retired. Ever since his wife went west for "Dancing with the Stars" they've been inching towards moving to California and it looks like it's pretty much a done deal. Hedican doesn't have a team lined up and Carolina has said there's a small chance he could be back, but right now, they're planning on not having him back. As a result, Carolina's looking around for defensemen either through trade or free agency, though JR seems to be leaning trade initially and letting the market get set before committing to any free agent possibilities.

Otherwise, not a whole lot so far for Carolina. They signed Samsonov way back when just after the playoffs started, did some minor league deals, and signed Eaves to a four-year deal at a bit over a million per a few days ago. They also are looking to bump their minor league goalie Michael Leighton, who was superb this year in Albany, to full-time backup duty behind Ward next year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #39
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
duff

3 players I am curious about.

Del Zotto-- is he a product of playing with Tavares? I thought he was ranked, universally, much higher coming into the year.

Tedenby - really intrigued by hm...too bad Pittsburgh has no picks until the 4th round. He seems like (dare I say it!) a Wings type player, small size, but big on skill.

Beach - is he the next Bertuzzi? Or the next Chris Gratton? Or the next Sean Avery??

Del Zotto is not a product of playing with Tavares, he's simply an excellent offensive defenseman. His stats may be slightly inflated by playing on the best offensive team in the OHL, but you have to give credit where credit is due, and Del Zotto deserves it. He quarterbacks the powerplay so well, he's a great passer and he shows a great ability to ship it in offensively. He can also be surprisingly physical at times, but he will certainly need to work on his defensive game. He is somewhat of a love/hate player, I'm sure some teams don't have him rated in their top 15 Ds.

The thing to love about Tedenby is that he is an amazing skater, on par or maybe even btter than the best among the top prosects, may that be Stamkos, Boedker, Ness or Gardiner. He's small, but he has the ability to manoeuver at top speed and he never seems to stop working; he goes into traffic more than some of the bigger guys. He has a lot of areas to work on though, and he is probably a long way from the NHL.

I don't know what to make out of Beach. But I don't like the risk he presents; all the talk about his attitude, his concussions, his hernia. He was awful at the end of the year, and I was already not a big fan of his. I think he has the tools to make it; he is huge, strong on the puck, has a nose for the net and he gets under people's skin. His skating and hockey sense are questionnable though. All in all, I have him on my list because at some point you have to take on the asset he represents, but he's not a player I would be ecstatic to pick. That said, a team should take a chance on him in the top 15.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #40
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Is thre anyone, outside of Stamkos, who will make the jump stright to the NHL?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #41
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
I don't know what to make out of Beach. But I don't like the risk he presents; all the talk about his attitude, his concussions, his hernia. He was awful at the end of the year, and I was already not a big fan of his. I think he has the tools to make it; he is huge, strong on the puck, has a nose for the net and he gets under people's skin. His skating and hockey sense are questionnable though. All in all, I have him on my list because at some point you have to take on the asset he represents, but he's not a player I would be ecstatic to pick. That said, a team should take a chance on him in the top 15.

I'm a Everett Silvertips fan and I don't know what to make of Beach myself. The locals are attributing the end of season dropoff to a sports hernia he had repaired just prior to the draft combine (that's the reason he was unable to participate in the workouts but still able to do interviews). Every report I read talks about his "off-ice issues" but I haven't actually heard anyone explain what those are. Until I actually hear some stories from people that witnessed this stuff, I'm going to continue to try to diffuse those rumors as much as possible.

The thing that concerns me about him as a player though is his history of concussions. It is a byproduct of the way he plays - a bit reckless at times. He is an intense competitor and a very physical player that at times can cross the line. Earlier in his career here, he would too easily get caught up in some personal battle during the game and repeatedly take stupid penalties trying to exact some revenge. When he was on the ice, he was extremely effective, but with the penalties, a lot of times, he was sitting. The Everett fans have been hoping that as he matures he will begin to understand that he's more important to his team on the ice than in the penalty box. He seems to be making some of those changes, slowly but surely. He still has a ways to go though. I think he will be a good player at the NHL level someday, but he will need to continue to mature and learn to control his aggression a bit.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #42
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Is thre anyone, outside of Stamkos, who will make the jump stright to the NHL?

I could see Colin Wilson, who already has quite an impressive NHL frame, make it straight to the NHL if he's interested in leaving college. Luke Schenn is already mature enough to play in the NHL too. Doughty, Bogosian and Filatov shouldn't be too far off either, but I think they could use another year of development, hopefully that is in North America for Filatov.

But there are always surprise. Few expected Sam Gagner or Patrice Bergeron to make the jump so quickly.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #43
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

duff

This might be a little late in asking, but maybe you can give an opinion on Luca Caputi, who left Mississauga and is now playing in the AHL finals with Wilkes-Barre.

Seems like the Pens stole him in the 4th round last year.

What is his upside? How close to NHL ready would you think he is?

With the losses expected along the wings, can he challenge for a 3rd line spot at 20-21 years old?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #44
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
duff

This might be a little late in asking, but maybe you can give an opinion on Luca Caputi, who left Mississauga and is now playing in the AHL finals with Wilkes-Barre.

Seems like the Pens stole him in the 4th round last year.

What is his upside? How close to NHL ready would you think he is?

With the losses expected along the wings, can he challenge for a 3rd line spot at 20-21 years old?

I have to admit I was never a huge fan of Caputi. He went slightly lower than most expected on draft day, but at that time I thought it was about the right spot for him to be taken.

It was a huge surprise to see him put up so many points this year with the Ice Dogs though. He is a big player who will go in the dirty areas, and he has a nose for the net. He's not a flashy guy who will take the puck from one end to another, his dangerous area is when he is around the net. He also has a great shot.

Maybe I'm stubborn, maybe I'm just stupid, but I have not changed my mind on him. He's big, but he's not a power forward. He's strong in juniors, but not enough to consider it an asset for the NHL right now. He still needs to learn how to effectively throw his body around; he often looks akward when trying to hit, and he rarely tries to initiate contact. His speed will be a major problem at the NHL level.

So what is his upside? I personally see him needing a year or two with Wilkes-Barre, working on different aspects of his game. From then on, his development will determine if he can make it to the NHL or not. Some think he can be a top 6, 20 goals a year forward; I'd be surprised.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #45
duff88
College Prospect

Tried my hand at a mock draft. I love this year's top 50 depth; at times I was asking my self how the hell some players were managing to fall so low. Can't say I'm really proud of the end result, it's pretty much impossible to predict, but it was a good time waster.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hasek is likely to announce his retirement today.

Not too surprising at all.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #47
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow.

Who knew that the world of Canadian hockey broadcasting was so cut throat?

CBC can't reach a deal on it's theme music on Friday and on Sunday TSN scoops it up.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196

CTV ACQUIRES EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO 'THE HOCKEY THEME'

Toronto, ON - CTV Inc., together with Copyright Music & Visuals, today announced that CTV Inc. has acquired all rights to 'The Hockey Theme' in perpetuity, preserving the song's legacy and ensuring it will be heard on national television for years to come. 'The Hockey Theme' song will now live on CTV Inc. properties TSN, RDS and across Canada on CTV during coverage of the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympics as outlined below.

The deal between CTV and Copyright Music & Visuals was agreed to in principle after the CBC publicly announced last Friday at 5 p.m. ET that a deal could not be reached with the rights holders. Due diligence was completed earlier today.

The song, which was created by Vancouver's Dolores Claman in 1968, will now be used in NHL broadcasts on TSN and RDS beginning this Fall. In addition, CTV will utilize the song as part of its hockey coverage during the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

"The song has a long and storied history in Canadian sports and has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of hockey fans across the country. It is an iconic tune, embraced by Canadians everywhere, and we felt it was imperative to save it. We know we will be in hockey forever, so there's no doubt this acquisition will create value for us," said Rick Brace, President, Revenue, Business Planning and Sports, CTV Inc. "It's an honour and a privilege to own such a cherished piece of Canadiana."

"I am very moved by how so many Canadians have taken the hockey theme to heart. We are so pleased the song has found a new home," said Claman. "Throughout our negotiations, CTV displayed a tremendous amount of respect for my family and the song. 'The Hockey Theme' means so much to Canadians, and we know it's in good hands with CTV."

The announcement complements TSN's new six-year multi-platform NHL deal, featuring more coverage of Canadian teams than ever before with at least one Canadian team in every game. Earlier this year, RDS extended its exclusive rights agreement with the Montreal Canadiens through the 2011-12 season.

CTV, together with TSN and RDS, boast the most powerful and prestigious sports programming lineup in the country featuring the NHL and Stanley Cup Playoffs, NFL games and the Super Bowl, every CFL game including the Grey Cup, International Hockey including the World Juniors, NBA, Blue Jays Baseball, all four golf Majors, all four tennis Grand Slam events, Season of Champions Curling, NASCAR and F1, and this month's NBA Finals and UEFA EUROŽ 2008.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #48
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hasek is likely to announce his retirement today.

Not too surprising at all.

right - he ALWAYS retires after winning a Cup...
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #49
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That (the Hockey Song thing) is awesome.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-09-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Who knew that the world of Canadian hockey broadcasting was so cut throat?
Richard Zednick thinks that's a cut throat move.